D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign (No Longer Accepting Apps)

Started by Keelan, September 09, 2010, 11:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepingferret

Point was to not waste time with such spells though.  About the only other spell I'd occasionally use would be True Strike to basically ensure I could hit a target regardless of where it was.

Kunoichi

By that level a regular wizard can already cast regular fireballs even farther, though... >>;

*would really like to make a straight-classed Tibbit Psion for this game, or maybe take levels in the Sangehirn prestige class if no one else wants to be healer*

sleepingferret

At 20th level a single classed wizard can target a fireball 1000ft away (prior to any metamagic modifiers).

A Fighter 4/Wizard 5/Arcane Archer 2/Deepwood Sniper 2 (character level 13) has an effective range increment of 185ft with a Composite Longbow.  Thus putting his maximum range at 10 increments at 1850ft, nearly twice that of level 20 wizard.

As for whose fireball would deal the most damage, base damage wise...the 20th level wizard.  But with the right feats my level 13 character could still have 10d6 fireballs.

Edit: Using the Pathfinder version of the Arcane Archer PrC, and taking the Practiced Spellcaster feat would give this character the spells of a 6th level wizard with an effective caster level of 10th.

Laughing Hyena

Me if I go combat its usually up close though if Im a wizard or such I tend to play the control nut. Using spells that make an enemy submit to my will or incapacitate them to thin numbers faster with less friendly fire mishaps. Anyway I see we will have a bowman type warrior, but what of the rest? What are we all planning? Id rather make sure there's no true staple missing.

sleepingferret

Edited/Updated:  Still working on "race" issues, but I will be using a Psychic Warrior 4/Soulknife 8 character build. 

Zaer Darkwail

My intended build is ranger/sorc/arcane archer (fey'ri). So have 10 class levels to play with. I racially get bonus to Int but favored class for fey'ri is sorcerer (ironic kinda). I intention is to get cooshie (elf hound from races of wild) as animal companion and pick animal bond feath with him (or if GM allows house rule wise could make 'animal bond' merely allow cooshie improve based on char level than ranger levels) to make cooshie more capable companion in battle (intend teach my pet perform bull rush and pick improved bull rush feat).

Anycase overall I think my char level is going to be ranger 6/sorc 1/arcane archer 3 (so effective CL 3 for now until in level 12 I pick practiced spellcaster). So my spellcasting abilities will be rather minimal at this point. So I count more as regular archer with some magic 'tricks' but in few levels my char can become quite nightmare to deal with.

Laughing Hyena

And since we have a healer with us in the form of psychic and I believe a psychic warrior. I could play a wizard or sorcerer. with perhaps maybe a touch of rogue assuming no one else is playing such a rogue. Otherwise I'll go pure mage with perphaps a sutiable build towards controlling enemies, or paralyzing them.

Kunoichi

I said I'd handle healing if no one else will, but my actual preferred character at the moment is a Tibbit Psion (Telepath)/Thrallherd.  Because a telepathic cat with its own cult would be hilarious. :P

Zaer Darkwail

Hmm, in ancient empires of faerun was mage PrC which asked you have evasion and gives sneak attacks over the levels (full spellcasting progression). Also same PrC allowed cast some metamagic feats for free without increasing spell slot and it specifically said it's wizard only PrC (and could enter only after 9th or 10th level as it asked able memorize and cast spells of 4th level).

Kunoichi

Rolling for stats.
4d6.takeHighest(3)=13
4d6.takeHighest(3)=16
4d6.takeHighest(3)=16
4d6.takeHighest(3)=10
4d6.takeHighest(3)=8
4d6.takeHighest(3)=15

...Huh.  Now that was a good stat roll. ^^;

And come to think of it, I can just make my Thrall a healer.  I can't believe I didn't realize that sooner. Oo; Okay, that covers that useful party role.

Zaer Darkwail

STR 10, DEX 18, CON 15, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 15

Nice stats also here. fey'ri get +2 Dex, -2 Con and +2 Int. Plan to have Con 14 and Cha 16. Also your char sounds nice Kunoichi :).

Kunoichi

Alright, Pumiro the Tibbit Telepath is almost done. ^^ Now I have an important question that needs to be answered, though.

By the Rules As Written, Psicrystals, as intelligent creatures that have hit dice equal to those of their masters, gain one feat, plus one for every three hit dice they have.  There have been endless debates over whether or not this was intentional on the part of the people who wrote the psionics rules or if it was simply an oversight, but all have generally agreed that it's best for individual DMs to decide for their own games whether or not to allow Psicrystals to gain feats.

So...  I can haz feats for pet rock, pleez? ^^;

Zaer Darkwail

Rofl, pet rock indeed. I think they function like familiars so they do not gain bonus feats like say, animal companions do but like you said it's GM's call.

Keelan

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 10, 2010, 08:04:23 AM
Alright, Pumiro the Tibbit Telepath is almost done. ^^ Now I have an important question that needs to be answered, though.

By the Rules As Written, Psicrystals, as intelligent creatures that have hit dice equal to those of their masters, gain one feat, plus one for every three hit dice they have.  There have been endless debates over whether or not this was intentional on the part of the people who wrote the psionics rules or if it was simply an oversight, but all have generally agreed that it's best for individual DMs to decide for their own games whether or not to allow Psicrystals to gain feats.

So...  I can haz feats for pet rock, pleez? ^^;
Hm... not too familiar with Psi Crystals... but if the book says they get feats... I say they get feats at half the rate of it's owner.  You do gain feats, but at every 6 levels.  I don't know what all a Psicrystal can do, but having 4-5s does not seem to sound right to me; 2-3 sounds about right though, for a pet rock ^_^

Now I need to look up Psicrystals...

swordwind

Seeing as it has been a long time since I've joined up in a RP forum game I'd like to stretch my arms and give this a shot. Seeing as we have atomic bomb arrows being crafted and reality bending psions that bend flesh back to good condition, or something of that matter, I think the tried and true melee class will work just fine for me.

So I guess my question is where online would I go about to crafting this particular person?

Keelan

Quote from: swordwind on September 10, 2010, 11:55:44 AM
Seeing as it has been a long time since I've joined up in a RP forum game I'd like to stretch my arms and give this a shot. Seeing as we have atomic bomb arrows being crafted and reality bending psions that bend flesh back to good condition, or something of that matter, I think the tried and true melee class will work just fine for me.

So I guess my question is where online would I go about to crafting this particular person?
Well, it's always worth giving it a shot to see if you'll be in the game, and a melee hitter would be nice in the group.  As for where to go... you can try a site like Myth-Weavers, or you can download and electronic character sheet (some are Excel documents, some are PDFs, though if you do this you need to find some way I can pull the sheet up and reference it).  One way is to just type the entire sheet up by hand in Word or Notepad (or equivalents), if you know the sheets well enough and don't mind the time&effort to do so.  Trust me, if you run key words through google, you'll find a lot of options ^_^

All the details for making the character are on page 1 of this thread, check their for the mechanical details and the like if you haven't already.  Anymore questions, ask away!

Kunoichi

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 10, 2010, 08:45:06 AM
Rofl, pet rock indeed. I think they function like familiars so they do not gain bonus feats like say, animal companions do but like you said it's GM's call.

Familiars are 'treated' as though they gain hit dice equal to their master's level in the class that they come from, while for psicrystals, the entry for HD is simply 'As Master'.  They're similar, but different in subtle-yet-important ways, see?

Quote from: Keelan on September 10, 2010, 11:36:12 AM
Hm... not too familiar with Psi Crystals... but if the book says they get feats... I say they get feats at half the rate of it's owner.  You do gain feats, but at every 6 levels.  I don't know what all a Psicrystal can do, but having 4-5s does not seem to sound right to me; 2-3 sounds about right though, for a pet rock ^_^

Now I need to look up Psicrystals...

The book doesn't say that they get feats, but it also doesn't say that they don't get feats. ^^; Hence why there's a debate.  I'm fine either way, really, the feats would just be a fun way for me to differentiate my psicrystal from others.  About the only time it gets anywhere close to being overpowered is when you start using that Tome of Battle 'you gain a maneuver' feat to give it useful boosts and counters...

Other than that, it's fairly limited in what feats it can actually qualify for, due to having limited stats and only having the skillset of its owner.

Laughing Hyena

Invisible Castle Roll off. I will be creating a sorcerer.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2683035/

Kunoichi

I'm afraid that link doesn't go to the actual rolled stats, Hyena. ^^;

RubySlippers

Have room I'll consider being - now wait in anticipation - are you all ready?

Female Human Fighter12th Level

Laughing Hyena

I'll be setting up my character shortly. Working on him using plothook. Was thinking of a Sorcerer but the Tiefling would not work well with that. Which is a shame.

Kunoichi

I've just got to make power selections, then work out the stats on my Thrall.  That character will be 11th level, and I'll be making him or her capable of handling the healing for the party in case nobody else wants to step up for that.

I'm thinking a Cloistered Cleric, with some appropriate domain selections to get a strong secondary role going.  I'm thinking either the Kobold and Trickery domains to handle the 'rogue' role, or the Magic and Spell domains, to act as a sort of pseudo Mystic Theurge...

Laughing Hyena

Meh. I'll do a tiefling anyway. It'll be fun trying to make it good at what it does. Can't find a XP chart... Dangit... Someone mind helping me with how one does this whole level adjustment with a monster class? I realize I am a level 11 sorcerer but my question is before that what are my base stats? Are they akin to an outsider template in advancement? Or does it utterly follow my sorcerer levels when I take up my first level as a sorcerer? or do all of my levels follow sorcerer guidelines?

Kunoichi

You know, if you don't want to have to deal with all that complicated level adjustment stuff, there's always being a Lesser Planetouched.  Basically, change your type from Outsider (Native) to Humanoid (Planetouched), and that's enough to get rid of your level adjustment.  You'll count as both an Outsider and a Humanoid for the purposes of spell targeting, though, so you'll have to, for instance, worry about both Charm Person and Banishment...

But for a spellcaster, that's still a better option than level adjustment, especially for a Sorceror.