World of Darkness/Hotline Miami (Extreme interest check!)

Started by Angie, August 12, 2015, 07:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angie

Summary: If you haven't played Hotline Miami, that's fine. This summary is to give you the idea of the game-if you're interested say so, if you're intrigued read more, if you're not interested at all, I wish you happy hunting.

This game will use the nWoD system and splats, and will also include the fan made Princess: The Hopeful splat. We will NOT be using GMC updates or any of the story elements from that book (partly because only Vampire, Princess, and Werewolf are updated to GMC, and partly because I don't like some of the story elements of GMC). All splats are allowed, though I advise against the use of Vampire and Promethean as they don't sync well. The book does say that Princesses/Nobles weren't around until later-in fact it says only one appeared in 1987. We can ignore this if more then one person wants to play a Noble.

That's right, this is a crossover game. Some of Hotline Miami's plot elements will make it into this, but it won't be a 'you're following the plot' kind of game. Like all my games, I pick what I like and then do my own thing. The game will be set in Miami during the late 80s, probably 1987. The plot will start with a series of brutal murders being conducted around town and also involve a lot of blurring of the lines of 'reality', to the point where it'll start becoming really hard to tell what's the dream and what's real. After that, well...don't want to give the game away too early, now do we?

Setting: The year is 1987. The cold winter months give way to spring, but cold to Miami is 'slightly chilly'. President Ronald Reagan, after having surgery, has returned to office in the midst of the Iran-Contra affair. Just two months prior, Penn State upset Miami in the Fiesta Bowl for the college football championship. And on March 10th, 12 people are found dead in a house used for the creation and distribution of drugs. There's more to the story then what the media even knows. The 12 men were all killed within a few minutes, and some of the bodies were mutilated in a way human hands couldn't have done-especially not in that short of a time frame.

The many factions are all eyeing each other, suspecting one or the other of breaking the Masquerade. The Kindred Covenants are looking deep within themselves, convinced it was one of their own through their collective narcissism. The Forsaken also suspect one of their own, but curious glances are tossed at the Mage Orders, with the Forsaken wondering if this is part of their plan. The Mages suspect everyone, ruling out no possibility. The Changelings think that a wandering Promethean is to blame, and the Sin-Eaters wonder if a crazed Wretched did the deed.

Among this subtle paranoia and constant looking over everyone's shoulder, another shocking event is about to occur-the return of those chosen by a powerful Light, the Nobles. If any one event could throw the entire balance of power into a maelstrom of chaos, it would be that. And amidst this all, an unlikely, motley crew of supernatural beings may find out the truth of the killings, the revival of the nobles, and far more...or they may be consumed by the darkness they look into...

Rules: There won't be many here, as I don't like doing a lot of rules. If I think of something, or something comes up, I'll post it here. For now, the following:

1: Make characters using the standard rules in the Pre-GMC splatbooks. This means that anything you take must be Pre-GMC.

2: Most characters are allowed. I advise against Vampires, Prometheans, and 'enhanced' Mortals (this doesn't rule out Hunters, I'm referring to stuff like from Second Sight, where you are still mostly mortal). This doesn't mean you can't play them, but if you do WANT to, see below.
2a: Vampires will have to have some reason for wanting to work with the rest of the group. I have given you a pretty big one-wanting to find who did the murders-but I like it when Vampires actually understand they can get more work done by working with a team instead of scheming to stab everyone in the back.
2b: Prometheans are technically fine, but do know that Disquiet will fuck you in the ass repeatedly. If you're fine with that, go ahead.
2c: Enhanced Mortals are going to be lapped very quickly. In fact, you'll start out being lapped. Again, if you're fine with it, have fun.

3: Mummies are the only thing I'm outright banning from the beginning. It's not because I don't like them, I just don't think they work very well in a crossover game like this. Sadly, Mummies are a no.

4: Any characters made from a book that's not as major as the big splat books must be talked about with me. I reserve the right to say no.

5: This may be controversial...okay it is, but I'm going to disallow raising the Power Stat (Blood Potency, Primal Urge, etc) with merit dots and only allow it to be raised with XP. This one I will justify: I'd like everyone to start at about the same level of power, and players that start with higher power stats can leave the other guys in the dust. So, I'm locking you all to 1 at game start. Soon as the game starts, go ahead and save up the 16 to go to Power 2, but at game start, 1.

6: You are allowed to drop Morality (whatever your kind is called) for XP at character creation (dropping to 6 gets 5 XP, dropping to 5 gets 10 XP). I will warn you, if you ever should hit 0, I WILL be taking your character away-and look at all these wonderful toys that XP bought!

So, come one, come all, into the World of Darkness...in the 80s!

Additional setting information, detailing what the major factions are up to. This is generic information that anyone connected to the supernatural scene would know. Before game start, I will be contacting players and divulging more relevant info to them: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K4nlTxDMPTgXKZPa0kztZh81mNZqHdF7lWFLue8lbrI/pub
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Muse

I'd like to play, Angie. 

What posting rate are you hoping for?  I don't think i can handle another must-post-daily game right now. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angie

I'm rather casual about posting rate. I would LIKE once a week, but I know schedules can't handle. Let's tentatively say once every fortnight (2 weeks).

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Angie

Mummies inevitably come up...I'm gonna say no to Mummies because they have a list of problems for crossover games. The concept is cool, I just don't think they work in a game like this.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Muse

I can easily handle twice a week most times, but if I can go a fortnight before I really mess you up, I'm so totally here! 

Shall I do a mage or a Changeling? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angie

Riv mentioned wanting to do a Mage, but do what you like.

Rook Seidhr

Also thinking about a Sin-Eater with a Mage crossover background.

Muse

Hm... 

Angie, one concept i have involves a merit that can only be taken at character creation, but that requires Glamour 2.  (That's what Changelings call it, right?) 

Can we waive the second requirement if I pursue this concept? 

Muse

Ah, Wyrd!  That's actually quite appropriate.  :) 

And they have Clarity in place of humanity.  *nods* 

Marie Reynolds

Well this looks  very interesting indeed. I see the Daeva scrambling to cast the suspicion off of themselves lol. Hmm So if we are interested in playing a lost  since wyrd is being kept low will there be  opportunities to grow into entitlements. Hmm also if we are interested in a vamp  who would you handle development of bloodlines if a player character wanted to be  one. Also if one  might play  kindred what about membership in guild or other factions and  knight hoods with in the covenants.

Angie

Quote from: Muse on August 13, 2015, 06:31:10 AM
  Hm... 

Angie, one concept i have involves a merit that can only be taken at character creation, but that requires Glamour 2.  (That's what Changelings call it, right?) 

Can we waive the second requirement if I pursue this concept?

PM me what it is and I'll consider it.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on August 13, 2015, 09:38:27 AM
Well this looks  very interesting indeed. I see the Daeva scrambling to cast the suspicion off of themselves lol. Hmm So if we are interested in playing a lost  since wyrd is being kept low will there be  opportunities to grow into entitlements. Hmm also if we are interested in a vamp  who would you handle development of bloodlines if a player character wanted to be  one. Also if one  might play  kindred what about membership in guild or other factions and  knight hoods with in the covenants.

I'll be frank, I have no idea what any of that stuff is except vampire bloodlines. I know there are rules for the bloodlines, those are being kept (I think you need to be what, Blood Potency 3 to pursue the Bloodline of your sire and then slightly higher to pursue something that's at least related to you). I would need to read up before I said anything on the matter.

Rajah

Almost splat has an X, Y, and Z - for vampires that's Clan, Covenant, and Bloodline, for mages it's Path, Order, and Legacy, for werewolves it's Auspice, Tribe, and Lodge.
For changelings, it's Seeming, Court, and Entitlement - Entitlements are purpose-dedicated groups not unlike Lodges (very unlike Bloodlines) that provide some (usually) minor supernatural boon. Most of them have Wyrd requirements.

I don't know what guilds represent in the context of Vampire, and as far as I know only the Invictus have knights.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Angie

Quote from: Rajah on August 13, 2015, 10:31:34 AM
Almost splat has an X, Y, and Z - for vampires that's Clan, Covenant, and Bloodline, for mages it's Path, Order, and Legacy, for werewolves it's Auspice, Tribe, and Lodge.
For changelings, it's Seeming, Court, and Entitlement - Entitlements are purpose-dedicated groups not unlike Lodges (very unlike Bloodlines) that provide some (usually) minor supernatural boon. Most of them have Wyrd requirements.

I don't know what guilds represent in the context of Vampire, and as far as I know only the Invictus have knights.

Well, there should be some room to grow into entitlements then. End game won't kick in until a certain level of XP which is far beyond what would be needed to get said things.

Marie Reynolds

Yes was just wondering  will  you work on  good story ad plot to develop into a bloodline or go into an entitlement  if one desires.  Guilds are  groups of usually invictus  kindred  that have formed a society of people of similar skills. They also come along with some prestige for being accepted into the guild as you have proven yourself quite good at the  skill to be granted membership. The sanctified have an order of knights  as well

Angie

That's easy enough to handle in a side thread away from the main plot-which would also allow us to work on it without leaving everyone in the dust. I could write five different plots for any of the bloodlines, I don't think entitlements will be too hard.

Marie Reynolds

Awesome! hmm now  the tough decision. Do i want to play a lost or a vampire?

ravinwulf

Angie

Absolutely! Werewolves are totally allowed. Puppies are cool :D

ravinwulf

Okay, I got a nice, slightly pudgy, wolfman in mind.

Angie

Quote from: ravinwulf on August 13, 2015, 12:16:51 PM
Okay, I got a nice, slightly pudgy, wolfman in mind.

Well it IS Miami, it's not hard to gain a little weight. Good food all over the damn place!

ravinwulf

Quote from: Angiejuusan on August 13, 2015, 12:39:13 PM
Well it IS Miami, it's not hard to gain a little weight. Good food all over the damn place!

Indeed.

Muse

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Imsi3eCFQ698QKNNYpYnOZiXez1wzmHE-3MDNSM-pvo/edit?usp=sharing

The histroy in here is undergoing revisions.  Seems i've only been otu of the hedge a few months, and lving with a werewolf.  :)