Dropbox links aren't working here any more?

Started by TFcommando, April 20, 2017, 01:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFcommando

I use my own Dropbox to embed pictures in games, but my old links have stopped working, just showing the broken image now, and putting new ones in has the same result.

Is this an issues on the site's end or Dropbox's? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk1z39w09g2rnyf/amg_belldandy212.jpg?dl=0
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

RampantDesires

Quote from: TFcommando on April 20, 2017, 01:06:18 AM
I use my own Dropbox to embed pictures in games, but my old links have stopped working, just showing the broken image now, and putting new ones in has the same result.

Is this an issues on the site's end or Dropbox's? 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk1z39w09g2rnyf/amg_belldandy212.jpg?dl=0

When I copy paste the image location from the page you provided it displays normally (above).

Looking at some of the broken links in your post history I get a 404 error from dropbox when I try to view them.

<edit> I don't have a definitive answer for you, but based on the above I'd say it's a dropbox issue and not something on E's end.  Have you considered using E's wiki to host your images? For RP posts, especially if I'm going to be using the image more than once I try to upload them to the wiki to ensure that the link never breaks.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

TFcommando

I've seen bad interactions in the past between bbcode and Dropbox when one or the other was updated.  It was giving me broken links like that when I didn't have an image in the Public folder, and that one is, along with the others I've seen issues with.   Now that I think of it, I've also seen that issue on RPG.net, which uses the same forum software.

Good idea about the Wiki though.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

RampantDesires

A little googling brought this up:

QuoteDropbox Basic (free) users

As of March 15, 2017 the Public folder in your Dropbox account has been converted into a standard folder. By default this folder is private to your account. This transition will occur automatically.

That could be why your previous ones no longer work?

<edit> doh, I should click on the second link before posting.  That appears to be what's happening :)

DropBox Help Page about Public Folders

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

RampantDesires

Sorry about all the derpy edits along the way.  I don't use/know anything about Dropbox, but I feel the pain of broken image links keenly :P

Hunter

Quote from: TFcommando on April 20, 2017, 01:06:18 AM

I'm the past (but no longer), I've used Dropbox.   What I've noticed from past experience that Dropbox tends to invalidate links after a while.   A link will simply stop working after a while, likely something in Dropbox's setup.