Interest Check: Dungeon World Arena Contests

Started by Nastara, February 23, 2017, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nastara

Hello Elliquiy!

At this point I want to make SUPER clear, this is just an interest check.  I don't know whether it'll go anywhere yet, but I wanted to put the idea out there.

I'm playing with the idea of running a set of small interconnected scenes in which would be adventurers are put into an arena for contests of skill, strength, and bravery for a wildly raucous crowd.  Arena contestants would face the dangers of traps, monsters, foul magic, and of course their opponent.  I'm going for kind of a barbarian gladiators meets Ninja Warrior, with plenty of sexy times throughout.  Obviously, this idea's been done a bunch of times but I actually think that Dungeon World would work pretty freaking well for it as it keeps many aspects a little bit less crunchy while still allowing plenty of opportunity to make games of skill and chance!

I'm still working out some details in my mind, but my hope is that there would be essentially two rooms; one where players are able to essentially free-socialize as their characters between actual bouts, and one where the contests occur drawn from the players who have been active.  Within the contest, people would likely do some rotating, though of course people who aren't in the current contest would be able to watch (and perhaps also to grant favors to those in the fight Hunger Game style).

What I don't want is an arena where characters are completely disposable, I like the idea of characters living to fight another day, even if they don't get what they were looking for!

Recruitment for individual bouts would likely be done more or less randomly from the roster of currently active and interested players, with most applications accepted. 

If you would be interested in a game like this, please let me know so I can start working out a list of interested people and crank out some questions!  Currently the things I'm wondering about are...
-How long bouts should be
-How many players should be in each bout
-How interested are people in the "in the barracks" scene
-Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants (I'm leaning slightly towards femme PCs largely to fit my own sexual preferences of scenes)
Delvers Company: Origins (Starting Soon!)
Red Team OOC| Blue Team OOC| Worldbuilding

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Pink Kitten

This sounds right up my alley, color me interested! :-)

Nastara

Cool! =D I'm going to be posting more information as I percolate things! 

If anybody has any questions about what I'm going to be aiming to do with this stuff, let me know!  Answering questions for the interest check should help me solidify my exact plans.

Flying Tengu

This sounds pretty exciting to me!

A few questions, partially to stimulate ideas...

Would the players be in direct competition with each other?  Or perhaps indirect, like a footrace, where they compete, but can't interfere with each other?

I assume that at least some of the sexy times you mention come from arena events?  Most of them?

To answer your questions:
How long bouts should be:  I think this depends on how many players are involved, and how much people not involved have to do; don't want people sidelined for a long time.  But personally, I favor snappy action, which, fortunately, DW is great at.  I think.

How many players should be in each bout:  Also depends!  Sorry, I hope I'm not being unhelpful.  But the nature of the competition might change things.  1v1 grudge matches could happen, as could free for all.  Maybe depends on what players want to do, and what ideas you have?

How interested are people in the "in the barracks" scene:  I think it could be fun to do a bit of chatting.  A good idea!

Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants:  I say if you have a preference for things, feel free to go for it.  You're doing the hard work of setting scenes and such, so they should really be scenes that you're into.

Hope that helps!

pdragon

I'd probably be interested in a few matches.  :P
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Nastara

Ooo, excellent! =D

Quote from: Flying Tengu on February 23, 2017, 02:04:37 PM
This sounds pretty exciting to me!

A few questions, partially to stimulate ideas...

Would the players be in direct competition with each other?  Or perhaps indirect, like a footrace, where they compete, but can't interfere with each other?
A little of column A, a little of column B! There'd definitely be some things that can clearly have direct conflict (wrestle your opponent off a platform), others would have some conflict (get to the top of the Aggro Cra- Errr... Arena Mountain to grab something, but you're probably going to be jockeying for position, shoving, fighting a bit), and some without obvious conflict (we did some mud-sledding in another thread, could totally have straight footraces)

QuoteI assume that at least some of the sexy times you mention come from arena events?  Most of them?
Yes, definitely at least some, possibly a good chunk coming from arena events.  Get to the ribbon at the end and bring it back, also, we've got some goblins who've been snorting druid-pheromones all morning.

To answer your questions:
How long bouts should be:  I think this depends on how many players are involved, and how much people not involved have to do; don't want people sidelined for a long time.  But personally, I favor snappy action, which, fortunately, DW is great at.  I think.

How many players should be in each bout:  Also depends!  Sorry, I hope I'm not being unhelpful.  But the nature of the competition might change things.  1v1 grudge matches could happen, as could free for all.  Maybe depends on what players want to do, and what ideas you have?

How interested are people in the "in the barracks" scene:  I think it could be fun to do a bit of chatting.  A good idea!

Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants:  I say if you have a preference for things, feel free to go for it.  You're doing the hard work of setting scenes and such, so they should really be scenes that you're into.

Hope that helps!
[/quote]
That helps very much!  Thank you so much! =D

Flying Tengu

That all sounds great!

I'll continue to keep an eye on this, but it's fair to say that I'm interested.

Gateman

I'ma go ahead and plant my interest flag here. As for your questions:

Until their logical conclusion, I'd say. Maybe give them varying lengths, depending on the style of the bout and the number of people in them.

2 per typical battle, with the occasional battle royale

I'm interested, I think it would help build a rapport between characters that could make for more interesting battles

-Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants (I'm leaning slightly towards femme PCs largely to fit my own sexual preferences of scenes)
       I don't see why not. I'm cool with fighting or fucking either sex, long as it's entertaining. I only play males, though.

Now, my question:

-How will you be handling things like injuries or character death?

-for the battles, would you consider making a dice system to fight? that way it would help make fights a bit more balanced, and keep things like godmodding from happening.

Kathyan

I have to say since you made that other request for DW I've been craving to play it but didn't make it through since there was just like a 50% chance because of so many applicants. That said I would rather prefer a full DW game but I'm in for this as well

About your questions:
I thinks there should be a goal in the fight, either knock your opponent unconscious, maker the other cum, get some part of someone else attire (could work in team fights) or some other clear objective to declare a win

I think there could fights 1on1, 2on2, tag team, or even 3on3 where 1 is the objective and the other 2 protectors, and a battle royal would be a nice possibility too

I am ^^

-Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants
I'm fine whether you decide to restrict it to females only or if you decide to allow futas and males as well

pdragon

I'm more or less in consensus for the first two questions, so I'll just throw these ones up.

definitely interested

Personally I'd prefer to atleast have futa contestants as well as female (due to the character I was intending to make being a futa), but I wouldn't drop if it was made female only.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Nastara

Okay, amazing! I'm going to take a couple of days to work out some of the questions, major NPCs (already have 2 announcers and a kind of coach character!), and thematic elements to make it special and will then post! When I do, I'll also link from here!

wigglebiscuit

Quote-How long bouts should be
Um, as long as they need to be?
Do you intend to run more than one bout at a time? In other words, will the rest of the players have to wait for a bout to finish to get their turn, or will you run several at once?

Quote-How many players should be in each bout
Shake it up a bit. I'm in agreement with the general consensus, primarily 1x1, but with some bigger bouts. Also, what about PlayersXMonster? So a big boss battle with a group vs a badass tentacle beastie or some such?

Quote-How interested are people in the "in the barracks" scene
This would be nice for a change, but I would recommend playing it fast and loose, don't be overly concerned with keeping the timing between the arena and the barracks perfect.

Quote-Whether I should restrict sexes of contestants (I'm leaning slightly towards femme PCs largely to fit my own sexual preferences of scenes)
I prefer to have some sort of penis in my stories. Plus, like Pdragon, I was considering making a futa...

Nastara

Alright!  Started up Recruiting!  I'm still goofing around a little bit in terms of managing some logistics (how many matches are going on concurrently? How long are matches? How do these two effect each other?) but we're now gonna recruit and try to get a first match off the ground ASAP!

Dropping WITH the first match will also be the Barracks which will exist ENTIRELY out of time, not worrying even a little bit about whether a character should be 'pulled' for a match.  That'll also contain some NPCs and guidance, but will largely be for PCs!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=264463.0 is the link to the Active Recruitment page and I'm gonna close this thread!