Shadowrun 4th Edition Campaign - [registration closed :( ]

Started by Sophina, September 29, 2010, 06:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

*posted her character sheet in the thread*

I'm actually thinking my own character probably looks a bit like a man, mostly because this article got me thinking about what her dermal plating looks like.  If flat-chested women are able to wear men's body armor without trouble, then a flat-chested woman would probably settle for men's dermal plating, as well...

Ashes

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Ashes on September 30, 2010, 03:06:25 PM
4 levels of Great Leap or 2 and 2 of Flexibility?

That depends on you.  If you have Escape Artist, then Flexiibility is a possibility to look into.  If you don't have it, go Great Leap all the way.

Ashes

A quick post of what I have so far;

Zoe Raglan
Sublime

Human

BOD 2, AGI 4, REA 4, STR 2, CHA 3, INT 5, LOG 2, WIL 3, INI 8, MAGIC 6

Qualities: Mentor Spirit - Moon Maiden (5), Mystic Adept (10), SINer (-5)

Skills:
Athletics 3
Stealth 3
Diving 1
Parachuting 1
Locksmithing 1
Pistols 2
Dodge 3
Perception 3
Spellcasting 2
Blades 1
Con 1

Knowledge
Back Alleys 4
Parkour Routes 4
BASE Jumping 2
Street Gangs 4
Security Design 4
Police Beats 2
Urban Brawl 1

Adept Abilities: Enhanced Reflexes 1, Improved Sense Scent, Improve Sense Low Light Vision, Wall Running, Great Leap 4

Spells: Phantasm, Masks

Contacts: 15 points put aside to spend on them, haven't decided yet

That should leave me 9 BP to spend on money and lifestyle or spend on something else if I'm left with any after that. I don't see her carrying too much in the way of weapons and looking at the list, they'll like be pretty cheap. I could see her having a small backpack with a few different pieces of equipment in it, so any/all sujestions for that or anything else are very welcome

ReijiTabibito

@Ashes: You might want to consider picking up the Character Creator I linked to earlier.  It has a whole slew of Negative Qualities that you can take to offset costs of stuff.

Also, I have recommendations for economical weapons for you to use, too.  ^_^

Ashes

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 30, 2010, 03:52:00 PM
@Ashes: You might want to consider picking up the Character Creator I linked to earlier.  It has a whole slew of Negative Qualities that you can take to offset costs of stuff.

After looking at it, can add dependent 1.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on September 30, 2010, 03:52:00 PM
Also, I have recommendations for economical weapons for you to use, too.  ^_^

Sure! Any or all sujestions are welcome :-)

Kunoichi

Seeing as it's a system game, though, I'd think it would need to be on this board, instead... ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  I noted that you've got the Pistols skill (which, personally, I think should be higher, but you can do that with Negative Qualities).

The top 3 most economical pistols are all light pistols.

1 - The Colt American L36.  It's very cheap, and thus easily modifiable for little money.

2 - The Fichetti Security 600.  It's moderately expensive, but it's got a clip size at least twice that of all the other standard pistols (30 rounds!).

3 - The Hammerli 620S.  It's got a small clip size, but it has recoil compensation, smartgun built in, plus it uses Heavy Pistol ranges instead of Light.

Sophina

Quote from: Kunoichi on September 30, 2010, 04:49:44 PM
Seeing as it's a system game, though, I'd think it would need to be on this board, instead... ^^;

Oh, good catch! ^^ Mith was awesome and moved it to https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=84200.0 .

yuna0417

Sophina

Kolbrandr

Blarg, got busy for a day and missed out again *snaps fingers*

Hikari

Sorry it's taking me a bit, just having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around a few of the...  "interesting" design choices.  (Logic is near-useless for a Hacker, factoring into their Matrix actions even less often than Intuition and being arguably less useful than Willpower?  Really?)  Even so, I think I should be done fairly soon.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Sophina

Alright, no problem Hikari- feel free to post here if you want any help or feedback on your character build! Just post it up in the main game thread whenever you finish. ^^

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hikari on October 01, 2010, 08:42:13 AM
Sorry it's taking me a bit, just having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around a few of the...  "interesting" design choices.  (Logic is near-useless for a Hacker, factoring into their Matrix actions even less often than Intuition and being arguably less useful than Willpower?  Really?)  Even so, I think I should be done fairly soon.

Just where did you hear this?  Logic is perhaps the most important attribute for a hacker.  Granted, in the Matrix, you don't get to use attributes (the rolls are usually Skill+Relevant Program), but nearly every skill that the Hacker needs to use (the Electronics and Cracking Group skills) is linked to Logic.

Hikari

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on October 01, 2010, 08:50:35 AM
Just where did you hear this?  Logic is perhaps the most important attribute for a hacker.  Granted, in the Matrix, you don't get to use attributes (the rolls are usually Skill+Relevant Program), but nearly every skill that the Hacker needs to use (the Electronics and Cracking Group skills) is linked to Logic.

That's, uh, kind of the thing.  You don't use most of those skills outside of the Matrix--what exactly are you Hacking that you're not using the Matrix to do it, really?--so the fact that you use Hacking + Program for them when "in the Matrix" means you always use it for them.  The only practical value of Logic for a Hacker is writing their own programs, and since you can't write programs before play begins and you're going to be a pretty poor hacker if you spend your first half-dozen runs without them...

...  it's an incredibly illogical design, basically, and the designers have both admitted that Logic is near-useless for Hackers and stated that it's that way by design.  Anyone's supposed to be able to "plug and play" as a "script-kiddie" Hacker if they've got the cred and skills, it's not supposed to be as exclusive/exclusionary as magical skills or technomancy...  it's more like combat skills, you can hyper-specialize in it, but just about anyone should be able to do it moderately well with a decent expenditure of effort.

However, I've found a few toys that fit my concept very well even within this bizarre set of circumstances (TacSofts!) so it'll all work out.  I'll probably just end up being much better at hacking than I had originally expected.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Ashes

A quick question, the character generators seem to be putting adept enhanced reflexes cost at 2 (for rank 1) and 3 (for rank 2) but the rule book says 1.5 and 2.5, which is right?

Sophina

My rulebook lists it at 2 for rank 1 and 3 for rank 2, so that's what I would use.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Hikari on October 01, 2010, 10:39:16 AM
That's, uh, kind of the thing.  You don't use most of those skills outside of the Matrix--what exactly are you Hacking that you're not using the Matrix to do it, really?--so the fact that you use Hacking + Program for them when "in the Matrix" means you always use it for them.  The only practical value of Logic for a Hacker is writing their own programs, and since you can't write programs before play begins and you're going to be a pretty poor hacker if you spend your first half-dozen runs without them...

...  it's an incredibly illogical design, basically, and the designers have both admitted that Logic is near-useless for Hackers and stated that it's that way by design.  Anyone's supposed to be able to "plug and play" as a "script-kiddie" Hacker if they've got the cred and skills, it's not supposed to be as exclusive/exclusionary as magical skills or technomancy...  it's more like combat skills, you can hyper-specialize in it, but just about anyone should be able to do it moderately well with a decent expenditure of effort.

However, I've found a few toys that fit my concept very well even within this bizarre set of circumstances (TacSofts!) so it'll all work out.  I'll probably just end up being much better at hacking than I had originally expected.

Well, Logic isn't as important for a mundane hacker as it is for a Technomancer, since for Technos, Logic determines their Living Persona's System.  But I built a hacker character who was part hacker, part tech expert - he was the guy that copied keycards and did whatnot with maglocks and so on and so forth.  So, while I would agree that having Logic 5 isn't critical to a Hacker, you should probably have Logic 4.  I personally don't see a Hacker having Logic less than 3.

Ashes

Unfortunitly some stuff has come up that's going to severly limit my time to be online. It's probably a good idea to offer my spot to Xerial.

ReijiTabibito

@Sophina:  Regarding Adept Improved Reflexes and the cost (1.5 vs 2 & 2.5 vs 3).

In the original SR 4E book, the costs for Improved Reflexes were 2, 3, and 5, depending on level.  This cost was carried over to Street Magic, and is commonly used in character creators.

However...

When the 20th Anniversary Edition came out, the costs were reduced to 1.5, 2.5, and 4.  The creators have gone on record saying that anything in the original 4E corebook is surplanted/replaced by what's in the 20th Anniversary corebook.

EDIT: If you have the 20th Ed book, check the Gunslinger Adept for math.

Anathanasia

I'll hopefully finish up today myself, or perhaps tomorrow, so anyone else still working on it can just know they are not alone!  ;D

I'd also like to put one more thing out there, group dynamic wise, for everyone to consider: even though I'm playing the Face, I really don't want to play the team leader here if I can avoid it (I know they aren't the same thing, but as charismatic roles they kinda fit together nicely). It's something I find myself doing without thinking about it a lot in games (I get impatient and express it by putting my foot down and making 'Leader' type team decisions), plus I'm doing that in another RP here on Elli, and I'm a little worried the characters will blur together a little if I don't try to ensure that I won't have to play that role here too. So someone else please make concerted effort to step up and be the leader!  :-)
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

Sophina

Thanks for the information, I guess we should go with the updated figures, so use the 1.5, 2.5 4 progression Ashes.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: Sophina on October 01, 2010, 12:48:23 PM
Thanks for the information, I guess we should go with the updated figures, so use the 1.5, 2.5 4 progression Ashes.

That's the irony, isn't it?  Ashes is saying that we should probably talk to Xerial (Yay! Nother guy player!) and have him submit a character...