The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

I'm still pissed that they got rid of the imdb forums.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

I had noticed they were taken down. I think it was because of all that was going on in the threads.

Looks like the "reboot" Matrix movies might focus on a young Morpheus.

According to reports before it was mentioned Joe Magnenello (sp?) was going to play Deathstroke, but it didn't happen due to things occurring. THen it was reported he would be in the upcoming Batman movie. And, now with all the stuff going on, its being reported that he "maybe" be playing Deathstroke.

Mathim

I'm still just stuck thinking of him in Pee-Wee's Big Holiday.

Now that I've seen all four pre-Defenders series, I officially have not a freaking clue how they're supposed to meet each other in a way to get them ready to work together against Sigourney Weaver.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

They'll probably do that in the opening episode like they did for Legends of Tomorrow where Rip Hunter was going around grabbing the members of the team.

TheSithChicken

Quote from: Mathim on March 20, 2017, 10:36:03 PMNow that I've seen all four pre-Defenders series, I officially have not a freaking clue how they're supposed to meet each other in a way to get them ready to work together against Sigourney Weaver.

Should honestly be very easy. There are two connecting threads between all of them. Claire and Hogarth. Foggy and Jessica both work with Hogarth and Danny is a client of hers. Claire knows all of them. I would honestly not be surprised if Foggy or Matt end up working on Luke's case to get him released. From that moment on it's a fairly easy matter to connect them. Claire could connect Danny and Murdock due to their issues with the Hand. Matt is already connected to known superhuman Luke Cage by then. Jessica is connected by her continued guilt to Cage.

Honestly an easier team gathering than the Avengers.

SapphireStar

It would also be easier if the did Heroes for Hire, which would probably be a spinoff for Colleen Wing and Misty Knight since they have both appeared so far. And, Luke Cage and Danny Rand were part of the team and friends in the comics. Colleen Wing and Misty Knight both run a detective agency of sorts, it wouldn't be a stretch for them to do that next.

Mathim

Yeah, Misty and Colleen have the street smarts and Luke and Danny can be the muscle. That would rock!

Just saw Logan. I have to say, I don't get the stellar reviews, it was by no means bad but I'm not as impressed as I expected to be. The action scenes were amazing, better than any of the other Wolverine solo outings (in fact, probably better than any of the previous X-Men films) but there were lots of boring bits. The character development was great for Logan, not so much for the girl (I mean, there was some, but it came up too late and too quickly to be considered to be done well). The villains were terribly lackluster with the one obvious exception, but that's spoiler-y.

wander

Anyone else think the ending was kinda rushed through for Logan?

I can't say more without fear of spoiling some folks, though seemed to be tons of build up and it seemed all over in less than five minutes come the end climactic battle stuff.

CaptainNexus616

It did feel rushed in some parts in my opinion. (To keep spoilers at a minimum) Like Logan's inevitable encounter with the big bad responsible for everything.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I wasn't really all for the X-24 clone of Logan either. I was kinda hoping the actual one would have had a longer run with that serum too so he could have went out in a blaze of glory before burning out from an overdose.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: wander on March 21, 2017, 07:52:16 PM
Anyone else think the ending was kinda rushed through for Logan?

I can't say more without fear of spoiling some folks, though seemed to be tons of build up and it seemed all over in less than five minutes come the end climactic battle stuff.

I thought overall it was too slow for any part of it to feel rushed. But no, I didn't feel like the ending was particularly rushed. I thought it seemed kind of impossible for him to catch up to them from their head start but whatever, it turned out to be a hell of a lot of fun watching what happened when he got there. I'm just glad they didn't make the same mistake as The Wolverine and only show Logan's mutant powers doing anything impressive.

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 22, 2017, 05:43:09 PM
It did feel rushed in some parts in my opinion. (To keep spoilers at a minimum) Like Logan's inevitable encounter with the big bad responsible for everything.

I wasn't really all for the X-24 clone of Logan either. I was kinda hoping the actual one would have had a longer run with that serum too so he could have went out in a blaze of glory before burning out from an overdose.

I think the only part of the ending that might have felt rushed was when
Logan shot Dr. Rice in the face before he finished explaining everything. I wanted to hear if there was any possible way for him to reverse what he had done to mutant genes and make it so mutants were able to be born again without having to be artificially engineered. I mean, it sounded kind of like the movie Carnosaur where that weird virus made women give birth to dinosaurs instead of human babies, in how it affected reproductive capability worldwide. Otherwise it just seemed like those half a dozen mutant kids were all that's left and then when they die, that's all for mutant kind. Not to mention we didn't actually get any real indication if Eden was real and if they were going to be able to get there, get sheltered while they are able to be given new identities and then try to live normal lives.

SapphireStar

Interestingly, Joe Magninello (sp?) played Flash Thompson in the first Sam Raimi Spider-Man movie.

With the upcoming tv shows, Runaways, and the new mutant underground based Fox show, it seems like mutants are thriving. But, I don't think they've revealed exactly what time period they are occurring.

Mathim

I'm not getting much news about any of that stuff you're mentioning. But I thought Marvel itself was trying to downplay mutants to promote the MCU over Fox?

SapphireStar

The new show they've been creating on Fox, so far has Blink in it, another character with powers similar to Sunspots. The news that was released basically called them mutants, who were on the run. Amy Acker is playing the mother who finds out her children are mutants. Jamie Chung (Mulan from Once Upon a Time) has been cast as the mutant teleporter Blink. Matt Nix (creator of Burn Notice) has been working with Bryan Singer in developing the pilot/series.

wander

Quote from: Mathim on March 22, 2017, 10:55:48 PM
I'm not getting much news about any of that stuff you're mentioning. But I thought Marvel itself was trying to downplay mutants to promote the MCU over Fox?

Marvel TV is a different company to the Cinematic one now, though they technically share the same universe still. As of mutants and Marvel, with the recurrance of X-Men in the comics and now with new toys/figures also being announced, I believe Marvel are quitting making Inhumans so much of a thing now. DC Rebirth has also shown them in the comics sector at least that people want more classic stories with classic characters, which is what the new X-Men comic series seem to be heading down (they tend to have the classic '90s X-era feel from the covers and previews) and the Generations Event seems to be fixing towards, getting back the classic characters to their former selves while also having a place for the legacy characters they've been doing these past few years.

Mathim

So like, they're trying to make nice with Fox now? I wish they'd both just act like adults and not need all this to cooperate in a mutually beneficial way.

CaptainNexus616

At the end of the day these companies are out for money. Specifically more money than the competition is making.

At least some walls are in fact being knocked down like with Sony sharing the movie rights to Spider-Man and this growing development with Fox.

I'm just glad Marvel's beginning to take note to turn away from more politically focused stories.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

greenknight

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 23, 2017, 01:19:46 PM
I'm just glad Marvel's beginning to take note to turn away from more politically focused stories.
Why? It's something Marvel's always done. Shying away from political topics would imply Marvel's losing sight of itself.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

SapphireStar

News report came out saying that Michael Shannon (Zod from Man of Steel) is being eyed to play Cable in Deadpool 2

Inhumans is still going forward. They've already got the cast set up for the tv series.

Even in the comics, apparently when the Avengers asked the X-Men for help dealing with a crisis, the X-men basically told them, its your problem, you solve it and walked away from helping. Marvel has hit some rough spots with their stories over the years, not to mention some eyebrow raising situations.

wander

Quote from: greenknight on March 23, 2017, 01:49:09 PM
Why? It's something Marvel's always done. Shying away from political topics would imply Marvel's losing sight of itself.

It's more than just politic stories (which you're right, Marvel have always done topical things and been more grounded in our real world with), since Battleworld finished and some may say even before then, the comics have taking somewhat extremer viewpoints in certain matters and building strawmen or just flat out talking down to the readers, for not about politics perse, rather than what seems to be a rather heavy-handed attempt at no other way to say it, social justice and the specifics of that kind of thing, author tracts more than narratives basically.

And some people would rather read comics to get away from that kind of thing. Or to read a story and series that'll last over 6-12 issues. ^^;

For a long time in Marvel comics it's been hero vs hero and Event chain reaction (I believe 5 Events have been announced just for this year... Remember when it was just one a year anyone? And they were awesome?), changing the comics to fit the movie continuity without giving a reason or even a retcon and pushing Inhumans whilst X-Men comics dipped in quality rather badly to the point you could even say Marvel wanted X-Men readers to jump onto their Inhuman series to get a better read.

O/T;

I am more than onboard if Michael Shannon gets the role of Cable, he could totally pull that off. :)

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: SapphireStar on March 23, 2017, 02:16:44 PM
News report came out saying that Michael Shannon (Zod from Man of Steel) is being eyed to play Cable in Deadpool 2

Huh? If he gets the role I would laugh if Deadpool makes a crack at telling Cable to avoid getting his neck snapped. I know it would probably be a joke that flies over most who hadn't seen Man of Steel but still lol

Mathim

Apparently there's some youtube kerfluffle about Brad Pitt being Cable.

Mathim

Well...I have to admit, this is probably the best DCEU trailer I've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

TheGlyphstone

Mm. Suicide Squad's trailer looked great too, and even BvS showed promise. I've lost any faith in DCEU to live up to their potential.

TheSithChicken

Doesn't look that good to me at all. The CGI is super obvious and the characterizations (especially Aquaman) seem really off combined with really terrible music for showing off action sequences. Not that it matters. DC can't deliver a good movie to save their lives at this point.

SapphireStar

James Gunn just revealed a surprise for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 movie. He just revealed that Michael Rosenbaum (Lex Luthor, Smallville. Flash/Deadshot Justice League) has been confirmed as having a substantial role in the movie. It is speculated that he is possible a member of Nova Corp alongside Sylvester Stallone's character or someone Stallone's character is trying to capture. Details haven't been "revealed".

Chris Evans recently stated in an interview that there is the possibility that he will stay on as Captain America for more movies.

Anthony Mackie was asked about characters from the tv shows appearing in the movies, he basically said not a chance. They are all different universes. Then I guess Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. didn't mention about Coulson being killed during the attack on New York in the first season or I guess they didn't have the Nick Fury from the movie appear. Anyone want to bet they'll mention or use the LMD's in one of the movies as a decoy for one of the main characters who appears to die?