News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check: Eclipse Phase

Started by Empyrean, June 14, 2014, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Muse

Ack!  I'm lagging behind again! 

*Gets back to work!* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Where do i find the specs and survival belt?  ) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on July 29, 2014, 06:37:22 AM
Where do i find the specs and survival belt?  )

Specs = core rules, p.326 top left column
Survival Belt = Gatecrashing, p.159 lower right column

The belt is basically a cheap 'package deal' for a bunch of other stuff.

Okay, have some time right now (almost unheard of lately) so I'm going to go digging a bit more through characters which have been posted.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Finally had time to convert Sachiko to a format my brain was more used to and which did all the math for me, and here is what I came up with:

You appear to have purchased a specialization for Beam Weapons but you have not listed what the specialization IS. Since she's carrying a Laser Pulser, Microwave Agonizer and a Stunner one of those is probably a good choice.

Sachiko has Kinesics: 90 but has not purchased the Trait: Expert (Kinesics) (See core, p.146) to allow that skill to be boosted over 80 in chargen. I also note that at level 90 Sachiko becomes Nobel/Olympic/grandmaster level (see core, p.174) which means unless she has worked extremely hard for it to never be noticable, she's going to be something of a celebrity in the field. The only thing I can think of is that you mean this 90 to include your gear bonuses in which case the ACTUAL skill is only 75? Because the character is very over-spent otherwise.

Sachiko's Muse, Natsumi, has "Interest: Cutting Edge Tech" this seems a bit broad for me...She's up to date in the latest technological advances in pocket tools, cryptography, paper-clip tracking and fusion drives? I would encourage narrowing that down if I was a GM. I might allow 'Popular Cutting Edge Tech' in the sense of 'subscribes to newsfeeds about awesome and cool technology,' with the 'popular' putting a bit of a limiter brake on it.

6+4 ablative patches: Just to be clear, they don't stack, she's carrying replacements. Right?

Heavy Body Armor...This is what riot cops and bomb disposal teams wear. Not very fashionable, bound to attract attention downtown, and a load to carry around if you aren't wearing it. For characters who are meant to look 'normal' while being well-armored, I prefer to take a Smart Vac Suit (normal) since it can reconfigure to look like Smart Clothing...and you can put armor mods on it. Just an opinion/stealth performance tradeoff thing. :)

Off the top of my poor tired head, I don't see what you've bought/taken that's giving you WT 8, DUR 40, DR 60. When I punched everything into a sheet it came up WT 7, DUR 35, DR 53?

Additionally...Zoo Suit? I googled "Eclipse Phase" and "Zoo Suit" and got nothing.

Overall, the character looks entirely workable. There are many things which I would've done differently in terms of skill selection (putting points in Disguise as well as Impersonation, buying more professions and interests rather than super-high academics, for example) and in mechanical efficiency terms (11-multiplier skill values, paying attention to the 31 and 61 complement thresholds) but the skill selection overall is appropriate to the character's role as a social face.

There's just one thing...It seems as if the character may be over-spent by around -60 or so CP. I have a hunch this is due to not multiplying values over 60 by two when calculating CP cost.

For example: COG base is 15, Academics: Memetics & Academics: Psychology at 80 will cost you 85 CP each to get there, not 65 CP each. It's Base 15 + 45 to get to 60, then 40 more to get to 80.

So here are the CP values I'm seeing, shown as Skill Value ## (CP).

ACD: Memetics 80 (85)
ACD: Psychology 80 (85)
ART: Performance 60 (45)
Beam Weapons 60 (40 + spec = 45)
Deception 70 (45)
Fray 60 (45)
Freefall 40 (25)
Freerunning 40 (25)
Impersonation 70 (45)
INT: Hypercorp Politics 40 (25)
INT: Mesh Gaming 40 (25)
Interfacing 40 (25)
Investigation 35 (10)
Kinesics 90 (105 and overvalue without Expert Trait...Or are you counting Gear bonuses? If you are counting gear bonuses then it's 75 (40))
LNG: English 50 (35 + 5 spec = 40)
LNG: Russian 50 (35 + 5 spec = 40)
NTW: Autonomists 70 (45)
NTW: Firewall 70 (45)
NTW: Hypercorps 70 (25)
NTW: Media 70 (25)
Perception 60 (45)
Persuasion 70 (35)
PRO: Social Engineering 60 (45)
Protocol 50 (5)
Research 25 (10)
Scrounging 35 (10)

Are the skill value totals you posted including gear bonuses or something? That's likely what is throwing it off.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Muse, other than equipment purchasing, where is your character at in terms of being finished, and do you need any further help with it?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Empyrean

I'll have to go back over it in a little bit, but yeah, I was including the gear bonuses in with her skills.

ReijiTabibito

Carn, I helped Empy build Sachiko from the ground up, so I can help answer some of the questions you have here.

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 29, 2014, 07:47:14 PM
You appear to have purchased a specialization for Beam Weapons but you have not listed what the specialization IS. Since she's carrying a Laser Pulser, Microwave Agonizer and a Stunner one of those is probably a good choice.

I actually take a slightly more liberal approach to Beam Weapon specializations - if you read the description of the Stunner, it reads that the Stunner is an "electrolaser," which to me qualifies it as being included under the Laser Weapons spec for Beams.  Unless I'm completely off and an electrolaser is no more similar to a real laser than a cashew is similar to a peanut.

Sachiko has Kinesics: 90 but has not purchased the Trait: Expert (Kinesics) (See core, p.146) to allow that skill to be boosted over 80 in chargen. I also note that at level 90 Sachiko becomes Nobel/Olympic/grandmaster level (see core, p.174) which means unless she has worked extremely hard for it to never be noticable, she's going to be something of a celebrity in the field. The only thing I can think of is that you mean this 90 to include your gear bonuses in which case the ACTUAL skill is only 75? Because the character is very over-spent otherwise.

Sachiko's Kinesics value shouldn't read 90.  It is 90 after all her Gear bonuses.  Here's how it breaks down - base SAV 25, +25 CP for the Skill, +10 because she's an Async and purchased Superior Kinesics, +20 for the Personal Interaction Sensor, +10 for the Kinesics Software.  The +10 from being an Async would show up on Kindalas' spreadsheet, so it should read Kinesics 60.

Sachiko's Muse, Natsumi, has "Interest: Cutting Edge Tech" this seems a bit broad for me...She's up to date in the latest technological advances in pocket tools, cryptography, paper-clip tracking and fusion drives? I would encourage narrowing that down if I was a GM. I might allow 'Popular Cutting Edge Tech' in the sense of 'subscribes to newsfeeds about awesome and cool technology,' with the 'popular' putting a bit of a limiter brake on it.

Carn, check out TH, page 24, Extropian faction - Cutting-Edge Tech is one of the Interests put into that book.  It's also on the Field Skills section of that book, page 43.  That was my suggestion.

6+4 ablative patches: Just to be clear, they don't stack, she's carrying replacements. Right?

They don't.  I've played around with Kindalas' character sheet to make sure of that.  The extra ones she's carrying are replacements.

Off the top of my poor tired head, I don't see what you've bought/taken that's giving you WT 8, DUR 40, DR 60. When I punched everything into a sheet it came up WT 7, DUR 35, DR 53?

The base Sylph has DUR 35.  She also bought the Respirocytes nanoware, which grants +5 DUR.

Additionally...Zoo Suit? I googled "Eclipse Phase" and "Zoo Suit" and got nothing.

The Zoo Suit is a custom piece of equipment I added into the character, as part of the deal we struck for her to have a (really nice) spaceship that can serve as the group's base/carrier.

Muse

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 29, 2014, 07:54:58 PM
Muse, other than equipment purchasing, where is your character at in terms of being finished, and do you need any further help with it?

I need to refactor her skills based on the atribute buffs I got when I bought equipment.  I need a bit more equipment (mostly those two things you sugested and guns.) 

I would really apreciate help with repuations.  I think i can do the rest myself.  :) 

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AM
Carn, I helped Empy build Sachiko from the ground up, so I can help answer some of the questions you have here.

I actually take a slightly more liberal approach to Beam Weapon specializations - if you read the description of the Stunner, it reads that the Stunner is an "electrolaser," which to me qualifies it as being included under the Laser Weapons spec for Beams.  Unless I'm completely off and an electrolaser is no more similar to a real laser than a cashew is similar to a peanut.

Any other house-rules you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Taken to an extreme, the only technical difference between a chemically-propelled solid slug and an electromagnetically-propelled solid slug is speed/flatness of trajectory, which isn't a factor except at extreme ranges, and any rifleman worth their salt knows the 'drop' of a given rifle's projectile over range as well as their rifle's point blank ranges (contrary to what Hollywood has to say, a given long-arm can have TWO point blank ranges, particularly when using optical sights with high parallax, where a projectile crosses the sight-line twice...Once 'rising' and once 'falling'.). A person who is only trained to shoot with a solid projectile weapon using 'battle zero' or 'near point blank' would do just as well with a laser...Even 'sweeping fire' per EP's rules is the same as 'walking fire onto target.' On the other hand, a plasma gun is not (strictly) a line-of-sight weapon as a laser is, but fires a superheated mass which will have drop over range.

For bonus fun, shooters whose weapons are affected by gravity and who don't have microgravity experience may have to deal with coriolis force over range, resulting in lateral corkscrewing. Whee!

I could similarly argue that being a dodgy target and knowing how to rapidly shift your center-of-mass (Fray) is not something which should have specializations based on unarmed or other weapons, because getting out of the way of an incoming blow doesn't change much whether it's an open-hand or a knife inbound. On the other hand, knowing how to dodge close combat attacks has very little to do with knowing how to be a janky hard target for someone trying to take pot shots at you from range...

But it'd be to the benefit of all parties to know about what house rules you're using, particularly when those rules affect character building, n'est ce pas?

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AMSachiko's Kinesics value shouldn't read 90.  It is 90 after all her Gear bonuses.  Here's how it breaks down - base SAV 25, +25 CP for the Skill, +10 because she's an Async and purchased Superior Kinesics, +20 for the Personal Interaction Sensor, +10 for the Kinesics Software.  The +10 from being an Async would show up on Kindalas' spreadsheet, so it should read Kinesics 60.

Right, the breakdown isn't as apparent when handed a set of 'totals'...And it looks like I may have a damaged spreadsheet copy that isn't correctly incorporating gear modifiers and need to re-download, because the DUR bonus from respirocytes wasn't showing up, either.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AMCarn, check out TH, page 24, Extropian faction - Cutting-Edge Tech is one of the Interests put into that book.  It's also on the Field Skills section of that book, page 43.  That was my suggestion.

Still haven't got TH memorized, sorry (and I still think it's a bad idea for the aforementioned reasons, but ehhhhh...).

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AMThey don't.  I've played around with Kindalas' character sheet to make sure of that.  The extra ones she's carrying are replacements.

Right, I know that and figured you knew that, but I wanted to be sure everybody understood it and was on the same page.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AMThe base Sylph has DUR 35.  She also bought the Respirocytes nanoware, which grants +5 DUR.

Yeah, I re-downloaded Kin's sheet and plugged stuff in and this time it worked. At some point, somehow, I must've mangled something in the previous 'blank' and saved over it.

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 30, 2014, 08:12:01 AMThe Zoo Suit is a custom piece of equipment I added into the character, as part of the deal we struck for her to have a (really nice) spaceship that can serve as the group's base/carrier.

Got it.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on July 31, 2014, 02:44:37 AM
I need to refactor her skills based on the atribute buffs I got when I bought equipment.  I need a bit more equipment (mostly those two things you sugested and guns.) 

I would really apreciate help with repuations.  I think i can do the rest myself.  :)

Er...What sort of help do you need? Which ones to pick? How much of what (guidelines on rep values can be found in the core book, by comparing the kinds of favors on p.290 (sorted by 'level') with the levels on p.287, which lists the score ranges for each level (basically rep score / 5 rounded up = rep level).

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 31, 2014, 03:55:00 PM
Any other house-rules you'd like to share with the rest of us?

But it'd be to the benefit of all parties to know about what house rules you're using, particularly when those rules affect character building, n'est ce pas?

I know.  I know it sucks learning about all of this in situ, but I don't yet have a comprehensive list of house rules that I use for EP.  I do, technically, but they're all little scribbles here and there that are flung to far corners.  I'm working on consolidating them, but that hasn't happened yet.

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on July 31, 2014, 03:55:00 PM
Still haven't got TH memorized, sorry (and I still think it's a bad idea for the aforementioned reasons, but ehhhhh...).

No, I'm with you.  I have a character I designed - an Ultimate Iconic - that has the Cutting-Edge Interest, but for him I winnowed it down to Cutting-Edge Arms Tech, meaning if it's not meant for killin' or the prevention of, it's not relevant to the Interest.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on July 31, 2014, 04:36:13 PM
I know.  I know it sucks learning about all of this in situ, but I don't yet have a comprehensive list of house rules that I use for EP.  I do, technically, but they're all little scribbles here and there that are flung to far corners.  I'm working on consolidating them, but that hasn't happened yet.

Okay, can we count on you (this may sound silly but I have seen it happen) to alert us if we try to do something you have a houserule for and say 'Actually, I do that this way, so you may want to handle it like this...And if you built your character with that in mind we can talk about it,' rather than 'GOTCHA SUCKA!' (again, I have SEEN a GM do that :6 )?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Can someone send me the price and specs on the survival belt? 

I'm considering spending a 100 points to raise will by 5 and Cognition by 5.  Any thoughts? 

Empyrean

And I'm puzzling over Sachiko. Specifically how to modify her skills to better fit in and help the team.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on August 04, 2014, 08:38:39 PM
Can someone send me the price and specs on the survival belt?

When I don't have access to my searchable PDFs, this is my favorite go-to site: http://eclipse-phase.wikispaces.com/Survival+Gear

Quote from: Muse on August 04, 2014, 08:38:39 PMI'm considering spending a 100 points to raise will by 5 and Cognition by 5.  Any thoughts?

Okay, here's how to think about this:

To buy a skill up by 1 point costs 1CP (2CP if it is over 60).
To buy an attribute up by 1 point costs 10CP.

Ergo, unless you have at least 10 skills which use that attribute (or 5 skills already over 60) you will probably want to put the points into skills rather than the attribute.

The attribute which has the most skills linked to it is COG.
The attribute which has the fewest skills linked to it is WIL.

Odds are that your character has a lot of COG skills and very few if any WIL skills.

Think about this as well:

If your character has 10 skills in COG, and 5 skills in INT, it's "cheaper" to pay the points on the INT skills. Look at some of your other attributes. Are there any of them you'd be willing to drop 5 points and put those 5 "free" points into WIL, then buy up all the skills for? Because in many cases it will be far cheaper to do that.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Empyrean on August 04, 2014, 09:03:10 PM
And I'm puzzling over Sachiko. Specifically how to modify her skills to better fit in and help the team.

Not sure what to suggest here. You'd want to look at everyone else's capabilities, see if there are 'gaps', decide if you want Sachiko to fill those gaps and if that'd be appropriate to her character, etc...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Muse

Let's see if I can figure otu reputation. 

*Cracks open his book* 

Empyrean

I've done some initial revisions. If I understand everything right (and I freely admit I might not), I have about 247 CP left to spend, minus the cost for her gear. I know she starts with 15000 due to background/faction. But I'm not sure exactly how much what I have costs so I don't know how many CP to assign to gear and how much is left for augmenting skills/buying specialties/etc.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Academics (Mimetics, Psychology): 44, Animal Handling: 25, Art (Performance) 55, Beam Weapons: 55, Blades, Climbing, Clubs: 15. Deception: 55, Disguise: 26, Flight: 15, Fray: 55, Freefall: 40, Freerunning: 40, Gunnery: 15, Impersonation: 35, Infilitration: 20, Interest (Hypercorp Politics): 40, Interest (Mesh Gaming): 40, Interfacing: 40, Intimidation, Investigation: 25, Kinesics: 60, Kinetic Weapons: 20, Language (Japanese): 85, Language (English-Mediaspeak): 50 (60), Language (Russian-Mediaspeak): 50 (60), Navigation: 15, Networking (Autonomists): 55, Networking (Criminals, Ecologists): 25, Networking (Hypercorps, Media): 55, Networking (Firewall): 55, Networking (Scientists, Gatecrashers, Ultimates): 25, Palming: 20, Perception: 55, Persuasion: 55, Pilot (Aircraft, Anthroform, Exotic Vehicle, Groundcraft, Spacecraft, Watercraft): 15, Profession (Social Engineering): 55, Protocol: 55, Psychosurgery: 15, Research, Scrounging: 25, Seeker Weapons, Spray Weapons: 20, Swimming: 15, Thrown Weapons: 20, Unarmed Combat: 15.

Standard Muse: Natsumi
COG: 10, COO: 10, INT: 20, REF: 10, SAV: 10, SOM: 10, WIL: 10, TT: 4, LUC: 20, IR: 40, INIT: 6

Academics (Psychology) 60, Academics (Network Science): 40, Interest (Cutting Edge Tech): 40, Profession (Mesh Engineering): 40, Profession (Accounting): 60, Hardware (Electronics): 30, Infosec: 30, Interfacing: 40, Programming: 20, Perception, Research: 30.

Implants: Basic Biomods, Basic Mesh Inserts, Cortical Stack, Direction Sense, Echolocation, Enhanced Hearing, Enhanced Smell, Enhanced Vision, Polarization Vision, Ultraviolet Vision, Bioweave Armor (light), Circadian Regulation, Clean Metabolism, Endocrine Control, Enhanced Pheromones, Enhanced Respiration, Neurachem (L1), Toxin Filters, Anti-Glare, T-Ray Emitter, Hearing Filter, Smell Filter, Vision Filter, Mnemonic Augmentation, Medichines, Nanophage, Oracle, Respirocytes, Zoo Suit

Gear: Holographic Projectors, Micrograv Shoes, Standard Battery (10x), Nuclear Battery (x2), Solar Recharger, Personal Interaction Sensor, Nanodetectors, Fur Coat, Guard Dog, Anonymous Account (x3), Backup Insurance (mod), Active ID Protection, AR Illusions, Facial/Image Recognition, Behavioral Psych, Kinesics Software, Relationship Mapping, Standard Muse, Crasher Truck, Go Cycle, Gnat, Guardian Angel, Morph Brokerage (high), Second Skin, Smart Skin, Smart VacSuit (with 6 Ablative Patches, Chameleon Coating, Immunogenic System, Fireproofing, Lotus Coating, Offensive Armor, Refractive Glazing, Self-Healing, Shock Proof, Thermal Dampening, Faraday Mod), Smart Clothing, Laser Pulser (w/Smartlink, Safety System, Shock Safety), Microwave Agonizer (w/Smartlink, Safety System, Gyromount), Stunner (w/Smartlink, Safety System, Gyromount).

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Found out that my hours at work are being cut for the next semester (one of my classes got dropped due to lack of student interest). Needless to say, not happymaking.

This actually does not free up time for me. It means that I will be devoting a lot more time to jobhunting to find additional income for the next several weeks (or, well, until I find it) in the form of tutoring, etc. Those often create more collateral time-trouble than actually teaching a class does, because for the classes I have the vast majority of my curriculum and the like laid out in advance, and homework is predictable. Tutoring someone changes drastically based on their needs and hours with inevitable rescheduling and no way to predict what will be needed two weeks hence.

I will be active but slow for the foreseeable future.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Empyrean

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I am mostly back and around, by the by. May still occasionally be slow, but will be active.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ReijiTabibito

Thanks, Carny.  I'm still working with Muse to get him up to speed on things, but we should be able to start not long after we're done.

Muse

I have my reps now. 

Could still use some help with my equipment.  (Most noticeably weapons and their accessories.) 

Then I need to figure out how to factor stuff, and spend the last of my points. 

Can someone talk me through Moxie?  Most importantly, does your starting rating indicate a pool that refreshes?  Or does it rise and fall irregardless of starting pool? 

My latest:   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o3a09my0UDbgjsBSKCHbDv--PvFQlblg4mtgI_dkQ94/edit

Muse

*peeks* 

We still doing this?  :)