Interest Check: Eclipse Phase

Started by Empyrean, June 14, 2014, 04:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnivalOfTheGoat

I was certainly hoping so. It has been taking quite some time to pull together.

I was busy when you last posted your help request, Muse, has anyone gotten back to you about that?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Muse on August 16, 2014, 07:56:39 AM
I have my reps now. 

Could still use some help with my equipment.  (Most noticeably weapons and their accessories.) 

Then I need to figure out how to factor stuff, and spend the last of my points. 

Can someone talk me through Moxie?  Most importantly, does your starting rating indicate a pool that refreshes?  Or does it rise and fall irregardless of starting pool? 

My latest:   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o3a09my0UDbgjsBSKCHbDv--PvFQlblg4mtgI_dkQ94/edit

For starters, you must spend at least 300 points in Knowledge Skills and 400 points in Active skills. That's one of the core requirements of generating characters in the game, which means you may need to pull some of the points you have spent elsewhere.

Rindi has reasonable Kinetic and Seeker weapons skills, so I'd recommend choosing one of those. Pistols are always useful because they are a little easier to conceal, but rifles have their place as well...Consider that we'll be starting in an urban area of a somewhat nastily fascistic government (Planetary Consortium). Either a kinetic or seeker pistol and perhaps a rifle would probably be handy. Going with railgun rather than chemical propellant increases base damage but reduces the types of ammo you have available, so it's kind of your call. I'd recommend getting regular ammunition for use against biomorphs and AP for synthmorphs if you use a railgun, or hollowpoint and RAP if you use a regular chemical propellant kinetic weapon. If you decide to go with seeker weapons, again either a pistol or rifle is a good investment, but bear in mind they are more like grenade launchers (no shooting someone who has a hostage, you WILL affect the hostage). Ammunition-wise I'd probably go with Concussion, EMP and HEAP unless you're feeling really nasty in which case you might swap out Thermobaric for HEAP with the understanding that it does massive area damage and is even less directed than most Seeker rounds.

Moxie can usually be regained whenever your character has significant downtime to rest (sleep, whatever) or if your character achieves something notable relating to one of their three Motivations (which is why Motivations matter in the game as something other then 'character belief fluff').

Note that you can spend Moxie as follows (from p.122 of EP):
• The character may ignore all negative modifiers that apply to a test. The Moxie point must be spent before dice are rolled.
• The character may flip-flop a d100 roll result. For example, an 83 would become a 38.
• The character may upgrade a success, making it a critical success, as if they rolled doubles. The character must succeed in the test before they spend the Moxie point.
• The character may ignore a critical failure, treating it as a regular failure instead.
• The character may go first in an Action Phase (p. 189).
Only 1 point of Moxie may be spent on a single roll.

Note that there is no guaranteed way to turn a normal failure into a success, only a critical failure into a normal failure. :) I say 'guaranteed' because sometimes 'flip-flopping' the numbers will save a roll, but not always. Rolling a 98, for instance, with a target of 90, will not be recoverable using Moxie.

Hope this helps!

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

ReijiTabibito

Just so people don't think this game is dead - it's not.  I've just been really, really busy with the start of my new job (IE, the school year), and I am still doing a little bit of planning for the story.  This story isn't dead until I say it is.  And right now...it's not.