News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

Not a lot of extremists. Extremists are just the ones that make the papers and the news...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Avis habilis

Hemingway

Well, the Paris attack is all over the news here as well.

Unless the newspapers here are missing something, we don't actually know that the Paris terrorists were muslims. It seems likely, yes, but people thought the same about 2011 terrorist attack in Oslo. Just something to keep in mind.

Beorning

Quote from: Deamonbane on January 07, 2015, 12:54:01 PM
Not a lot of extremists. Extremists are just the ones that make the papers and the news...

Well, then there's certainly more of Islamic extremists making the news these days...

Quote from: Hemingway on January 07, 2015, 12:58:29 PM
Well, the Paris attack is all over the news here as well.

Unless the newspapers here are missing something, we don't actually know that the Paris terrorists were muslims. It seems likely, yes, but people thought the same about 2011 terrorist attack in Oslo. Just something to keep in mind.

Th attackers were recorded as shouting "Allah akbar". I'd say it's pretty certain that they were Muslims...

Kythia

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 01:00:15 PM
Th attackers were recorded as shouting "Allah akbar". I'd say it's pretty certain that they were Muslims...

If that's what they were shouting, it's pretty certain they weren't.  /typo snark.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 12:17:14 PM

Also, the American prosecution requested Poland to extradite Roman Polański (he resides here lately). I'm quite sure that's not going to happen - which is a bad thing or a good thing, depending on which side of the argument you are.

Aren't Extraditions done for criminal cases? Did he commit some kind of crime?

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on January 07, 2015, 01:04:38 PM
If that's what they were shouting, it's pretty certain they weren't.  /typo snark.

Why?

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 07, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
Aren't Extraditions done for criminal cases? Did he commit some kind of crime?

Oh my, your age is showing. ;)

Polański has a case of statutory rape that's following him since late 1970s... That's why he can't make any more movies in the States.

Kythia

Allahu Akbar.

Lustful Bride.  Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

Edited for tone.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Kythia on January 07, 2015, 01:08:03 PM
Allahu Akbar.

Lustful Bride.  Yes, gods yes, a thousand times yes.  You...you shouldn't really watch his films.  He's kinda scum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Polanski_sexual_abuse_case

*jaw drops*....so he had sex with a 13 year old...admitted to it, then ran away before he could be punished.....Lock him up for the rest of his days!

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on January 07, 2015, 01:08:03 PM
Allahu Akbar.

Okay. Anyway, they were shouting that...

Lustful Bride.  Yes, gods yes, a thousand times yes.  You...you shouldn't really watch his films.  He's kinda scum.

Well, the case is... somewhat controversial. I've heard a lot of interpretations of what actually happened there. He *could* have not known how old she was... Although I'm not saying that he shouldn't be prosecuted. I don't know, really.

But back, there's a lot of people defending him - both on the grounds that the whole situation happened many decades ago (heck, even my sister says that "they should just leave the guy alone already") and that he's a kind, well, national treasure. The latter argument kind of annoys me...

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 07, 2015, 01:14:29 PM
*jaw drops*....so he had sex with a 13 year old...admitted to it, then ran away before he could be punished.....Lock him up for the rest of his days!

I'd say that the fact that he admitted to doing this kind of makes him look better. He didn't try to pretend that it didn't happen... Also, there are some arguments for that he ran away, because the prosecution was going to make a big case out of him because of his status as a star.

Anyway, the case is complicated. I really don't know what to think about it.

Kythia

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 01:14:53 PM
Okay. Anyway, they were shouting that...

Well, the case is... somewhat controversial. I've heard a lot of interpretations of what actually happened there. He *could* have not known how old she was... Although I'm not saying that he shouldn't be prosecuted. I don't know, really.

Well, even if that's the case I think there's a pretty strong argument that he shouldn't have drugged her and then had sex when she said:

QuoteNo, no. I don't want to go in there. No, I don't want to do this. No!

Beorning

Quote from: Kythia on January 07, 2015, 01:18:21 PM
Well, even if that's the case I think there's a pretty strong argument that he shouldn't have drugged her and then had sex when she said:

No, no. I don't want to go in there. No, I don't want to do this. No!

That's a solid argument, admittedly. I'm certainly not defending him...

Edit: I also admit that I haven't known about the Charlotte Lewis case until right now...

consortium11

There's not really many ways to defend Polanski in this case. He drugged and anally raped a 13 year old girl (having previously groomed her) and when he realised that he wasn't just going to get a slap on the wrist he fled the country.

gaggedLouise

Yep, the shooting in Paris is topping the papers around here too. Really serious, it's possibly the worst attack on the press in western Europe since WW2. And the guys who were shot were very prominent and gifted, too, they're hugely well-known in France and among journalists and cartoonists beyond their home country as well. I've got a folio album of cartoons by Jean Cabut, one of them, acquired it on a study trip to France, and absolutely love his work.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: consortium11 on January 07, 2015, 01:41:27 PM
There's not really many ways to defend Polanski in this case. He drugged and anally raped a 13 year old girl (having previously groomed her) and when he realised that he wasn't just going to get a slap on the wrist he fled the country.

Ha. You'd totally blow your lid, then, if you read the arguments that were made in favour of him the previous time he faced extradition... They went along the lines of "He's a Holocaust child, his wife was murdered, so we should really understand that he's messed up and make no judgements on him. Oh, and he's a great director, so it'd be such a tragedy for Polish culture if he went to jail. It can't be allowed!". Seriously.

Quote from: gaggedLouise on January 07, 2015, 01:45:49 PM
Yep, the shooting in Paris is topping the papers around here too. Really serious, it's possibly the worst attack on the press in western Europe since WW2. And the guys who were shot were very prominent and gifted, too, they're hugely well-known in France and among journalists and cartoonists beyond their home country as well. I've got a folio album of cartoons by Jean Cabut, one of them, acquired it on a study trip to France, and absolutely love his work.

So, what do you think about this situation?

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 01:50:54 PM

So, what do you think about this situation?

Like I said, really serious. They knew they were under threat, had been for years - one of the men who died was a bodyguard on duty. Another Parisian journalist commented that "they had recently moved to a new address and were aware of the need for security, this shouldn't have been possible to happen".

It's going to inject fresh scare into questions around the freedom of the press and about images which some people might find offensive, of course. But the support for freedom of speech and print is very strong in France, so I really don't think the instigators of this are going to win anything politically.

And if they're acting on behalf of "ISIS" (we don't know yet, but this looks quite likely) then they don't represent Islam in any real sense. They only represent their own ludicrous, bloodstained pretensions.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on January 07, 2015, 02:04:45 PM
Like I said, really serious. They knew they were under threat, had been for years - one of the men who died was a bodyguard on duty. Another Parisian journalist commented that "they had recently moved to a new address and were aware of the need for security, this shouldn't have been possible to happen".

It's going to inject fresh scare into questions around the freedom of the press and about images which some people might find offensive, of course. But the support for freedom of speech and print is very strong in France, so I really don't think the instigators of this are going to win anything politically.

I agree with that. Back here, even the politically-correct Gazeta Wyborcza is supporting this magazine's right to publish satire...

And if they're acting on behalf of "ISIS" (we don't know yet, but this looks quite likely) then they don't represent Islam in any real sense. They only represent their own ludicrous, bloodstained pretensions.

I wish I was so sure  :-( I'm really starting to have trouble with disregarding all these acts of Muslim extremism as something that isn't just a coincidence. I wish I could keep believing that Islam is as non-violent as other religions, but... I really don't see Christians committing gun attacks against newspapers because of them printing Christ jokes...

Oniya

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 02:43:56 PM
I really don't see Christians committing gun attacks against newspapers because of them printing Christ jokes...

There's always this guy.  If you can't access the Post article, Wikipedia has a summation of the group he was affiliated with here, with a description of the incident.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: Oniya on January 07, 2015, 02:59:51 PM
There's always this guy.  If you can't access the Post article, Wikipedia has a summation of the group he was affiliated with here, with a description of the incident.

So... one guy. Compared to what happened today, the recent attacks in Canada and Australia, ISIS, the Taliban etc.? I really have trouble seeing these things as equal and I *am* trying.

BTW. Out of curiosity, I checked Al Jazeera's English website for news. Here's a comment I found under the article regarding the attack:

If you left us alone, didn't invade our countries, steal our wealth and dismantle the khilafa, we'd most likely leave you alone too. Only a true cretin will murder 1 000 000 Muslims in Algeria (talking of France) and expect no revenge. Likewise, if you touch our Prophet, sal Allahu 'alaihi wa salam, you should be ready to face consequences. Somebody from the ummah will do something to you, sooner or later. So live and let live should be your motto last 100 years - but it wasn't. And same way your bombs don't distinguish between soldiers and civilians, why should our weapons? Albeit in this case, the target as well as realization were genial , professional, with almost no collateral damage (sorry for those wounded drivers:)))

I am really wondering how many Muslims think the same...

Oniya

I didn't feel like posting twenty or more links, but if you google 'Christian extremism' like I did, you can find many more examples.  Clinics and nightclubs bombed.  Doctors shot.  And just like the sickos that gunned down those journalists in Paris, I do not believe that Christian extremists represent the true message of the religion they claim to follow either.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

We must not let our hate blind us. It isn't the fault of religion, or any ethnic group. The ones who are to blame are solely  the perpetrators of the crime.

Just because people of one group perpetrate a crime, does not mean we should hate or treat them all as criminals.

The only ones we should hate are the ones who have spilled the blood of the innocent to fuel their own madness, groups like ISIS who pervert their religion and use it as an excuse to kill and to gain power.

We need ot remember that people...are people, with both the bad.

And the good.

Such as in Pakistan when local muslims formed a Human chain to help allow the Christians to have their mass in peace.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/.....n_4057381.html

And Vice Versa when Christians did the same for them.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/ama.....at#.mu1gm1d0GX

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 03:06:34 PM

If you left us alone, didn't invade our countries, steal our wealth and dismantle the khilafa, we'd most likely leave you alone too. Only a true cretin will murder 1 000 000 Muslims in Algeria (talking of France) and expect no revenge. Likewise, if you touch our Prophet, sal Allahu 'alaihi wa salam, you should be ready to face consequences. Somebody from the ummah will do something to you, sooner or later. So live and let live should be your motto last 100 years - but it wasn't. And same way your bombs don't distinguish between soldiers and civilians, why should our weapons? Albeit in this case, the target as well as realization were genial , professional, with almost no collateral damage (sorry for those wounded drivers:)))

That's as big BS if i've ever seen it. Scum like ISIS and the Taliban and other such things don't need any real reason to go around killing, they will find one or make one up.

They pervert their faith and indoctrinate others into a new one built upon violence. If you truly read the Holy books they claim to be following you would see that all these terrorists are really on a straight path down, breaking nearly every rule in the book. And those who support them are just as guilty.

Valthazar

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 03:06:34 PMIf you left us alone, didn't invade our countries, steal our wealth and dismantle the khilafa, we'd most likely leave you alone too. Only a true cretin will murder 1 000 000 Muslims in Algeria (talking of France) and expect no revenge. Likewise, if you touch our Prophet, sal Allahu 'alaihi wa salam, you should be ready to face consequences. Somebody from the ummah will do something to you, sooner or later. So live and let live should be your motto last 100 years - but it wasn't. And same way your bombs don't distinguish between soldiers and civilians, why should our weapons? Albeit in this case, the target as well as realization were genial , professional, with almost no collateral damage (sorry for those wounded drivers:)))

I am really wondering how many Muslims think the same...

I think many people in the West are under the impression that "Muslim extremists" are committing acts of terror because they are opposed to freedom and democracy.  To the contrary, much of the terrorism serves as perceived retribution for the so-called crimes the US and the western world have committed in the Middle East against civilians and their way of life.  That's why there's really no "war against terrorism."  War itself just causes more harm than good, but our politicians still believe that terrorism is an actual entity we can crush with bombs and guns.

Scribbles

Quote from: Beorning on January 07, 2015, 03:06:34 PMI am really wondering how many Muslims think the same...

A better question would be how many non-Muslims think the same, a lot of Americans don't seem to realize how much hate is directed towards their country...

While there might be some religious undertones, I don't feel it's fair to hang up a single religion as the issue here, especially if you take the above in mind.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Scribbles on January 07, 2015, 04:56:40 PM
A better question would be how many non-Muslims think the same, a lot of Americans don't seem to realize how much hate is directed towards their country...

Or rather, they're not aware of why that hate is directed towards them.