A Killbot of Mars [Eclipse Phase FATE, Non-Con: Exotic] (FULL)

Started by ThisOneGal, February 01, 2016, 07:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FarFetched

Quote from: AndyZ on February 02, 2016, 01:02:02 PM
Reminds me of trying to explain existence before the Internet.

https://xkcd.com/1348/
Well, she does spend most of her time sitting around, staring at nothing when she has no work XD

wander

Heh, I'm in my early 30s and have a flip-phone still...  XD

I see the Mesh like when people have cyberbrains in GITS:Stand Alone Complex and your Muse is like those mini Tachikomas but more like your own mini brain executive personal assistant.  ;D (Thus Mark 22's Muse entropic design took that to 11 ^^)

Lol, Mark's just kinda trollish with Biochavs than super antagonistic, plus she's hot, so he'd likely see her as a trophy lay, the naive poor sap that he is...  ::)

FarFetched

wander

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

FarFetched

AndyZ

Anyway, ThisOneGal, any objection to talking with folks about how we know each other and setting up backstories?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

FarFetched

Been looking over the Eclipse SRD, I wish I could get one of those battle-suits for Jane, like in her picture. That way, she could be be a little less squish than she already is. Vehicles count as Morphs in this setting, right? Would you be alright with me making up a custom battlesuit morph of somekind OneGal? Jane doesn't have to have it at the game's start, but she'll likely try to scrounging together enough i-Rep or Creds somewhere down the line to get one.

ThisOneGal

Quote from: FarFetched on February 02, 2016, 11:33:19 PM
Vehicles count as Morphs in this setting, right?

Eh... Yes and no? You can sleeve into vehicles if they have a cyberbrain, but if you're just riding around in it it's just a vehicle.

Quote from: FarFetched on February 02, 2016, 11:33:19 PM
Would you be alright with me making up a custom battlesuit morph of somekind OneGal?

A battlesuit would probably be better represented by some sort of gear stunt, but you could probably make the case that it should mechanically be represented as a synthmorph you walk around in.

If you can come up with an idea for what you want, feel free to propose it.

FarFetched

Idk, it's only a farfetched(haaaaah) idea I had. I'll stew on it.

Kunoichi

You know the enhanced strength morph stunt? Making it a gear stunt and combining it with Armor or your already-existing Ablative Patches would probably reflect a suit of powered-armor pretty well. ^^

Re Z L

Well I've finally given in.  Expect a Doctopus later today.
A&A

FarFetched

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 03, 2016, 06:04:44 AM
You know the enhanced strength morph stunt? Making it a gear stunt and combining it with Armor or your already-existing Ablative Patches would probably reflect a suit of powered-armor pretty well. ^^
Yeah, I might end up doing that too.

Quote from: Re Z L on February 03, 2016, 01:17:59 PM
Well I've finally given in.  Expect a Doctopus later today.
Yaaaaay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Re Z L

WIP

Info

HandleAnima
NameKybalion Incirrina
FactionFirewall
Background  Uplift
RefreshXXX

Aspects

High ConceptSlightly Eccentric Psychosurgeon
TroubleIdle Tentacles are the Id's Playthings
DetrimentAll Knowledge is Good Knowledge
ReputationDiscrete Psychological Services

Skills

+4 Medicine, Investigate
+3 Kinesics, Provoke, Rapport
+2 Infiltrate, Fight, Deceive
+1 Somatics, Willpower, Athletics, Hardware

Stunts
Ego  2 Skill points
Ego  Medicine Psychosurgeon
Morph  Octomorph Natural Attack (Deadly Neurotoxin)
Morph  Octomorph Stealth
Refresh
Refresh

Morph

AspectsNeurotoxic Octomorph; An Octopus Never Forgets
TraitsEssential Biomorph Traits
Environmental Adaptation (Gills)
Manipulators (8 Arms)
Mobility (Limber)
Mobility (Swim)
Natural Attack (Beak)
Stigma (Uplift)
Custom TraitsEnhanced Senses (Touch)
Social (Deceptive Chromatophores)
Mnemonic Augmentation
StuntsNatural Attack (Ink)
Natural Attack (Deadly Neurotoxin)
Stealth
DurabilityAverage (+1)
Stress Boxes3
Refresh2
Cred/Civ Rep Cost  Great (+4)

Muse
Name Persona
+2 Infosec
+1 Investigate
Stress Boxes 2-Stress

Gear
None

Background
Background

Summary
WIP

Motivations
[+]  Open Source
[+]  Morphological Freedom
[-]  Uplift Slavery

Full Background
Sometimes people have to do strange things to make ends meet in the crazy, post-Fall world.  Sometimes that means getting off the books funding from the Hypercorps for a research project that only the people involved with know about and siphoning off some of the income for more legitimate business.  When Mars became home to a number of high level education regimes from Earth-That-Was as well as a blotch of old TITAN tech it was really only a matter of time before the two finally intersected with one another.  It was a research project in a hidden and quarantined section of the facility that Anima was working in.  She was a "contract hire"--which was MIT's way of coloring "purchased slave" in a way that didn't leave a bad taste in peoples' mouths--that was used for her skills in biological and psychological research.  It was just another day in the lab until the machines started killing people.

Anima wasn't too aware of the details of course, but it seemed that the tech from the TITAN Quarantine Zone they were experimenting with either had a rogue AGI inside it, or corrupted one of the local AGI's and turned it into a human killbot.  Luckily Anima wasn't human, which seemed to be a discriminating factor for survival.  Meanwhile Firewall agents were already aware of what was going on in the secret facility and were on their way to deal with the situation.  Luckily it turned out the Rogue AI wasn't adverse to talking, so Anima used what skill she had to talk things out with the confused, murderous intelligence.  This allowed a slight stall or pause in its murderous rampage from time to time while Anima confronted it with strange conundrums for it to puzzle through.

During one of the brief respites while the machine-mind considered whether a loaf of bread was a bread-sandwich, Anima was retreating with one of the injured research scientists towards a slightly safer section of the labs where she encountered the Firewall team.  Luckily they hadn't decided to go completely "scorched earth" and annihilate everything they came across.  Anima explained the situation to them and offered to help by continuing to distract the AI while they did whatever it was they were there to do.

A few hours later the situation was resolved and the Firewall team was back to where Anima originally met them.  Some of them were injured so Anima quickly patched them back up as a way to say "thanks for not killing me".  She escaped the facility with them and they parted ways shortly thereafter.  It was about this time that Anima realized that she was free to go about and do whatever it was she wanted to do, so she decided the best thing to do was at least move away from the old facility, which ended up with her in Valles-New Shanghai.

It wasn't long after she was contacted by a Firewall rep and offered a few odd-jobs.  Obviously Anima was still something of an unknown so they couldn't trust her with much, but she was happy enough to help--mostly with medical work.  It gave her enough of an income to get up on her feet (so to speak) and get reasonably established in Little Shanghai as the strange Psychologist/Masseuse/Therapist/Doctor Octopus that she is today.

Plot Hooks
WIP

Relationships
WIP

Invokes and Compels

High Concept  - Slightly Eccentric Psychosurgeon:  Understanding the Transhuman psyche, performing Psychosurgery in strange ways, making erratic--but accurate--mental leaps to various conclusions.  The Doctor House of ripping apart peoples' brain meats.
Trouble - Idle Tentacles are the Id's Playthings:  Limbs (not just tentacles in the event of resleeving in a non-octo) have a tendency to give in to baser impulses from time to time if they're not being directly used for a task.  Kleptomania is an obvious trigger, or maybe tripping someone as they walk by, or groping someone nearby.
Detriment - All Knowledge is Good Knowledge:  Curiosity killed the cat, or "why would we destroy this piece of lost technology before understanding it?"
Reputation - Discrete Psychological Services:  Someone needs to evade an Ego Hunter?  Criminal needs some mental modifications?  Pleasure Pod wants to forget a past client?  No questions asked.

Stress and Consequences

Ego Stress1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]
Morph Stress1[ ] 2[ ] 3[ ]
Muse Stress1[ ] 2[ ]
Mild Consequence (2)---
Moderate Consequence (4)  ---
Major Consequence (6)---

Medicine:  Psychosurgeon
You're skilled at making repairs to transhuman egos. Gain +2 on Medicine actions to overcome mental Consequences or to perform Psychosurgery techniques on subjects.

Octomorph:  Deadly Neurotoxin
You can make a Fight or Shoot attack at +2 to create a Neurotoxin Paralysis advantage on your target.

Octomorph:  Stealth
The morph has some type of natural camouflage: chameleon skin, gait masking, radar absorption, or invisibility from refractive coatings are all possibilities.

You have +2 to Infiltrate actions to not be noticed, provided that you’re stationary or not moving faster than a slow walk. You also have a +2 to actions that involve your deliberate use of changing your color and pattern to blend in.

Kinks
I'm open to most things as a player (I'm submitting an octopus to a smut game after all), besides the typical gore/bathroom play/etc.
A&A

ThisOneGal

Added to the list.

QuoteSocial (Mesmerizing Chromatophores)

I'm not really sure what you expect to do with that. It won't work on transhumans, for pretty much the same reason it won't work on you IRL.

Stunts
Morph  Octomorph
Morph  Octomorph

The way morph stunts/refresh works is a little weird. To get a morph, you have to buy as many stunts from it's Morph Stunt list as it has refresh.
So for the Octomorph, you'd spend 2 Refresh on stunts in its Morph Stunt list.
So this would be valid:

Ego  2 Skill points
Ego  Medicine Psychosurgeon
Morph  Natural Attack (Deadly Neurotoxin)
Morph  Stealth
Refresh
Refresh

You can still flag them as your Octomorph stunts if you like. (If you have multiple morphs, you should definitely be doing this).
With that setup, if you want Natural Attack (Ink), you'd have to buy it with Refresh.

Morph stunts are a little weird though, in that they can kinda be swapped around midgame.
The way I'm rolling with it is thusly: If it's on your Morph Stunt list, you have it as a thing and can swap it in/out using Refresh without much issue. If it's on the list but you haven't paid Refresh for it, you still have it, but it's not narratively significant to give you any mechanical bonus (you're out of practice, or it's an old, buggy version, or it doesn't provide a meaningful defense/benefit against your opponents).

Oh, on a related note: Because of the way Complications work, having more morphs does not give you extra complications (though it will give you access to extra Stress boxes).
If your extra Morph gives you access to +5 Durability/Somatics, I'll probably allow the bonus Consequence, but this should not be an issue for a while, if ever. (Especially given that Reapers cap out at +4 and you'd need to spend like 7 Refresh to pull it off).
Was thinking about Jane's possible battlesuit morph when I realized this possible issue.

Re Z L

Quote from: ThisOneGal on February 03, 2016, 06:47:00 PM
I'm not really sure what you expect to do with that. It won't work on transhumans, for pretty much the same reason it won't work on you IRL.

I'd think it wouldn't be any more or less effective than the Attraction stunt (assuming I buy the attraction stunt at some later point for it).  It would probably only work for Provoke/Rapport actions, and probably wouldn't be quite as obvious as the video makes it out to be.

Until it has a stunt associated with it there's no real effect to it, just a minor narrative description.  It seemed like a reasonable alternative to the typical pheromone trope.

Working on fixing up the other stuff you pointed out right now--the Morph stuff was a little confusing.
A&A

ThisOneGal

As a trait, it doesn't really do anything except allow you to spend Fate Points to Invoke an Aspect.

I could roll with 'Flashy Chromatophores', but 'Mesmerising' skews to close to Basilisk Hacks, which are a) not available to PCs or transhumanity and b) would make you a target of Firewall, not a member of it.

Re Z L

Quote from: ThisOneGal on February 03, 2016, 07:11:49 PM
As a trait, it doesn't really do anything except allow you to spend Fate Points to Invoke an Aspect.

I could roll with 'Flashy Chromatophores', but 'Mesmerising' skews to close to Basilisk Hacks, which are a) not available to PCs or transhumanity and b) would make you a target of Firewall, not a member of it.

Point taken  :D

Flashy could work...how's this for a counter-proposal:  Deceptive Chromatophores, the purpose of which is to counteract Kinesics.
A&A

Re Z L

Updated the sheet.  Just about most of it is done now except for the background which I probably won't finish until tomorrow sometime.  Also I might use one more Refresh on something, haven't quite decided yet.

The Aspects might be a little iffy, so if anyone has any input feel free to chime in  :)
A&A

Hexed

Quote from: ThisOneGal on February 03, 2016, 06:47:00 PM
The way morph stunts/refresh works is a little weird. To get a morph, you have to buy as many stunts from it's Morph Stunt list as it has refresh.

Huh... So how's that work on Morphs with a cost of 0?

By Phase Eclipse standards Jane's suit would be very old tech. After all it would probably be reliant upon motion sensors, verbal commands, and actual triggers instead of mesh/jack links. Especially since the Jovian style lady would probably be very displeased if it had an AI to help control/regulate the suit.

Anima has the potential to be a very scary grappler to biomorphs although it seems synths and drones would render a good chunk of his techniques unusable. And holy hell between Anima and Forklift we are going to be pressing EVERY button we come across aren't we?

ThisOneGal

Quote from: Hexed on February 03, 2016, 08:43:15 PM
Huh... So how's that work on Morphs with a cost of 0?

Then you don't need to buy any Morph Stunts.
If you want another morph though, you need to spend a Refresh on simply 'having another morph'.

QuoteBy Phase Eclipse standards Jane's suit would be very old tech. After all it would probably be reliant upon motion sensors, verbal commands, and actual triggers instead of mesh/jack links. Especially since the Jovian style lady would probably be very displeased if it had an AI to help control/regulate the suit.

Eh, yes and no. Read the 'Rimward' sourcebook for in depth stuff on the Jovians (they're one of the more fascinating factions in the setting). Some of their stuff is actually pretty advanced, specifically because they won't use some tech and are forced to compensate. Notably, power armor and non-nanotech/non-genemodding medicine (since they can't just go 'fuck it' and get a new body).

Oh, speaking of that, from Jane's sheet:

QuoteShe quickly realized, however, that Jovian technology was mired in political clout, and in order for Jane to keep living in her body, she'd have to live somewhere where the use of medicine was less restrained, namely Mars.

That doesn't actually fit with the setting. The Jovian Republic will go to great lengths to get you to Jupiter with your original body intact and functional. As far as their concerned, you're one of the few actual humans on Mars, and they want to make sure you're safe.

AndyZ: 'Rimward' also goes into depth on the Extropians, if you want to read more about them.

AndyZ

Reading up on it now, ThisOneGal ^_^

Stupid question, though: can humans no longer be made the old-fashioned way, that biological humans would be few and far between for those who desire them?

ThisOneGal

Reproduction is actually a fairly complex question in the setting. TL;DR: is that there is no real limit on how it can be done, and no consensus on how it should be done.
If you're on Mars or someplace similar, you'll need to purchase the rights to your morphs genetic material to reproduce, or be in violation of copyright (there's also essentially DRM built into a lot of Martian morphs).
Uplifts, pods and Ruster morphs have it especially bad in this regard.

Quote from: AndyZ on February 03, 2016, 09:00:30 PM
can humans no longer be made the old-fashioned way

They can, if you have the rights or access to the biohacking-skills.

As always, with the exception of the Jovians, the outer system is much more anything goes in their approach.