Huge space taken by the shoutbox

Started by AurelieCatena, August 06, 2014, 01:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AurelieCatena

Hello,

The shoutbox at the top of the page is taking about one third of the whole, even when disabled. Is there a way to hide it completely, or at least to reduce it to a more reasonable size?

Ariel

The shoutbox completely disappears when disabled, save for the enable tab.

Are you talking about the purple donation box that's below it? Could you please include a screenshot of the problem, for Vek and the other mods so they have a better gist of what you mean?
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

AurelieCatena

Alas, I don't know how to put a screenshot here...

What I mean is not the shout box per se but the whole light blue box that starts from the date and time on the upper left corner to "Default * Wide Screen * Send us you theme!" The shoutbox itself does not take much space indeed.

Ariel

Ah, yes, I see what you mean. There isn't a way to minimize it. I think you'll get use to it as the days go on. I tend to overlook it. :-)

You could always drop a line here, but just know that Vekseid is very busy right now and will probably be busy for the next month or two. :-)

Also, to screenshot, just hit the print screen button (PrtScn) key on your keyboard, then open paint. Crop as needed, then save. Upload it to the Wiki (or any other image-hosting site if you choose) and grab the img link, then paste it between the img tags and there you go. :-)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

AurelieCatena

Thanks for your help.

I was only trying to find if I had overlooked a way to minimize this box. It is only a minor pain and I prefer Vek to devote his time to more important matters.

Sara Nilsson

honestly i kinda agree, between that and want to see your message here and the buttons that is a lot of rather wasted real estate that could be used better.

ChaoticSky

Indeed, theres tons of wasted space at the top right now, its kinda aggravating (Sorry, cant help it, inefficient use of space is a bizzare peeve of mine :P ). So much so i threw this together, the red at the bottom shows how much space is saved by flattening out the purple donation box alone;

Vekseid

While it might annoy people, I wanted to keep the privacy warning up for a bit longer. : /

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Vekseid on August 09, 2014, 10:31:16 PM
While it might annoy people, I wanted to keep the privacy warning up for a bit longer. : /
*hugs* Sorry, I'm aiming for constructive criticism, i hope im not offending you. Like everyone else here i appreciate all the work you put into this site. ;D

If it makes any difference, even on my model, theres a line of unused space under 'Support Us on Patreon'/beside Shoutbox Rules, where the explanatory line i deleted entirely could be placed.

Cycle

For what it is worth, the box on top really doesn't bother me.  It's just one keystroke ("PgDn").  I'm willing to contribute that keystroke if the box gets E more donations and support.

Blinkin

I know this was asked at the top of the thread, but the disable doesn't seem to work for me. I still have all of those buttons/links that keeps opening the thing on me even if I hit the disable, which states "disabled" but the thing is still there.

So, anyone here able to tell me how to make the shoutbox just disappear so I can get to the meat of the site without having to constantly close the shoutbox?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Cycle

I had the same issue until I did what Veks suggested in this post.

Vekseid

Quote from: Cycle on August 11, 2014, 11:54:48 AM
I had the same issue until I did what Veks suggested in this post.

Looking at his entry it doesn't look like he's stuck, but may be worth a shot.

Be sure to skip past 'default' to 'elliquiy2' if you try that, Blinkin.

Blinkin

Thanks for the link, and I followed the directions. I probably need to reopen the window, but so far, so good. Thanks for the help!

Don't get me wrong, I think that the shoutbox is a great thing, I just have to keep closing it everytime I come to the site and sometimes, just finding the button can be fun as new entries steals my cursor as the screen reader tries to tell me "Hey! Look!"

Thanks
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Vekseid

Eventually I'm going to need to check with you to see if we can get JAWS to recognize changes in politeness level.

Blinkin

Politeness levels? Jaws or me? ;)

Sadly, the written word, or perhaps to be a little more precise, the concept of communication through the use of symbols to represent sounds and concepts, is one of mankind's greatest achievements, it's also one of the banes of our species. No other form of communication exist that is so easily misunderstood, misinterpreted or prone to mistakes as the written word. It is fraut with not just accidental, but intentional misunderstanding; wars have been caused over the accidental use of a word, rifts have existed for centuries over what a phrase may mean.

As we move more and more into a world society that is more and more dependent on an ever growing disregard for language or interpersonal connections, the problem may reach a point beyond any recovery.

Having said all of that, if I have "said" anything that seemed inconsiderate or insulting, I must apologize for that. My intention is never to be intentionally offensive or insulting to anyone.

Of course, that isn't to say that I can't be intentionally offensive and insulting, but I'll tell you that I am being so intentionally. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Vekseid

Ideally, for activity stream stuff like the shoutbox, it should only update for you while you're 'watching' it (with your cursor at the input bar). I'm referring to altering the Aria-live property depending on state. E.g. if you're watching a shoutbox, it could be okay to update while you type, etc.

Oniya

Yer good, Blinkin - the Shoutbox was being rude, interrupting like that.  *big smile*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17