WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

A lot of people just paint them to match the bases.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Thorne

If they don't /quite/ fit and you want them to, you certainly can file them down so they fit all the way in. You'll probably want to glue them down whatever you do, because Murphy's Law dictates that if you don't they WILL come loose, and it WILL be at the worst possible moment. :/
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Oniya

Quote from: Thorne on September 25, 2014, 01:13:48 PM
Murphy's Law dictates that if you don't they WILL come loose, and it WILL be at the worst possible moment. :/

As a corollary, the round base will unaccountably land in such a way that it rolls to the most hard-to-access point under the heaviest piece of furniture in the vicinity.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Guys, guys. I'm living with a cat. I can't help thinking that he's going to get to the minis some day... I mean, they are just the type of things this animal loves to play with...

TheGlyphstone

Keep them in a box. A shoebox, if you have to.

Beorning

That's the plan :)

I had two spare hours today, so I did some work on the minis: I cleaned away all the mold residue I could find, then I primed two of them. That was fun!

BTW. Thanks to your advice, guys, I found a great way of handling the minis while painting: deodorant caps. I put plasticine on their tops and stick the minis in there. The caps are light and hollow inside, so it's very easy to hold them.

Beorning

Here's what the minis look like after priming with a handbrush:

Is it acceptable?

HairyHeretic

As long as you're not seeing any bare metal, it should be fine.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Beorning

So... I've spent a few hours today painting one of the minis...

It's hard! The details are so tiny... And the eyes are just impossible. I admit I gave up on them...

HairyHeretic

Now you know why so many of my models wear helmets *grins*

Think of it this way though ... you've only just gotten started. You have plenty of time and opportunity to improve your painting to the level you want to bring it to.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Oh, of course. I'd say that, for the first-time effort, I'm personally somewhat pleased with the results... On the other hand, I may be totally wrong  ;D I plan on glueing the mini together tomorrow - then, I'll post the completed thing for you to see.

One thing I'm wondering about: how to work with a wash? My Sister had those nice carvings on her shoulder pads. I painted them with silver and they looked okay... but flat. I treated them with a wash, then. That brought out their details nicely, especially of the Imperial eagle... but it also made them look dirty and definitely not-silvery. After some deliberating, I painted them silver again... but it destroyed the effects of washing... Hmm.

Thorne

Drybrush them. Get a little bit of paint on a dry brush - and I mean a /little/ - like, you dab paint on the bristles, then brush them out until there's almost no colour left, then just brush it lightly over the raised details.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

After washing them first, right?

Can this be done with ordinary paints, or do I need any special drybrushing paints for that technique?

Thorne

You can do that with any kind of paint - hell, with any kind of brush.

It takes some practice, but it makes for some really nice effects.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

HairyHeretic

The other consideration you might want when painting is whether or not you see your force as fresh on the battlefield, so they'd look well kept and pristine, or whether they've been in the field a while, in which case the grimier look can work for them. At the end of the day it's if you like the look that counts.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Yeah, I actually considered rationaling the grimy look of the miniature with the idea that she's covered in a battle dirt... but, in the end, I decided that I prefer the shiny look.

Alright! I glued the mini together today. Here's the finished mini:

The colours are a bit off on these photos: the armour is black, not dark blue and the hair is actually dark brown. The backpack is also very dark grey, not black...

Anyway, the mini... doesn't look that good in the close-up.  >:( It looks really rough - maybe I was putting on too much paint?

HairyHeretic

It doesn't look that bad, especially for a first model. Cameras can magnify perceived problems, especially up close. Set it on a table, look at it from the distance you'd be playing with it, and it probably looks fine.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wajin

Quote from: Beorning on September 28, 2014, 08:19:08 AM
Yeah, I actually considered rationaling the grimy look of the miniature with the idea that she's covered in a battle dirt... but, in the end, I decided that I prefer the shiny look.

Alright! I glued the mini together today. Here's the finished mini:

The colours are a bit off on these photos: the armour is black, not dark blue and the hair is actually dark brown. The backpack is also very dark grey, not black...

Anyway, the mini... doesn't look that good in the close-up.  >:( It looks really rough - maybe I was putting on too much paint?

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 28, 2014, 09:33:15 AM
It doesn't look that bad, especially for a first model. Cameras can magnify perceived problems, especially up close. Set it on a table, look at it from the distance you'd be playing with it, and it probably looks fine.

As Hairy said, it's brilliant for a first model, and yes you won't notice the small flaws once you have a bunch of those in a formation... I made the horrible mistake of choosing a Tau Hammerhead Gunship as my first model to paint <.< suffice to say, I regretted that for a long time till I bought a new one, cuz that turned out to be horrible
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Beorning

Thank you for your kind words :) And I agree, the mini looks better in natural size. I'm definitely not giving up - if anything, I want to paint some more! I have two more Sisters in the package I bought, I can't wait to start working on them (although I might need to buy some more colours...).

I must say that this really is a fun hobby. I look forward to collecting my Sororitas army... as well as buying Dark Vengeance with all those Chaos Marines and cultists... and then, adding some Chaos demons to them... and I want to collect Dark Eldar, too!

Gah! I need more money!  :o

HairyHeretic

Hold off on the Dark Eldar, it sounds like a new codex is coming out soon.

At the moment I'd be inclined to say just pick one army and work on that. While 7th ed does you play Unbound (so you could mix Sisters + Chaos + Dark Eldar), not everyone will play it. Build one army first, then think about adding to it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

No worries, I won't get to buying Dark Eldar for some time... I definitely don't have enough money for that. Right now, my projects are a complete army of Sisters and some Demons that I'll try adding to the Chaos Marines army from Dark Vengeance. From what you've guys told me, that should be alloweable even under normal rules...

Dark Eldar will be... a project for down the line.

Thorne

Quote from: Beorning on September 28, 2014, 10:33:45 AM
Thank you for your kind words :) And I agree, the mini looks better in natural size. I'm definitely not giving up - if anything, I want to paint some more! I have two more Sisters in the package I bought, I can't wait to start working on them (although I might need to buy some more colours...).

I must say that this really is a fun hobby. I look forward to collecting my Sororitas army... as well as buying Dark Vengeance with all those Chaos Marines and cultists... and then, adding some Chaos demons to them... and I want to collect Dark Eldar, too!

Gah! I need more money!  :o

That right there, is the battlecry of every miniature enthusiast ever. Battletech, Warhammer - even D&D, we've all said it at some point. ^^
Some of us have amended 'money' with 'time'. >.>

That having been said, you've got a good start. Nothing I can say that Dane and Hairy haven't already said - just keep at it and you'll start seeing improvements. Technique comes with practice, yes it does.

I do have a bit of advice for getting stubborn tabs to fit into those narrow slots, if you happen to dislike having them stick out. Take a pair of needlenose pliers, or something else with a sturdy, narrow point that will fit in that bitty space, and use it to press the tab down until it's flush. I've never had a plastic base snap, but if it does ... there's nothing you can't fix with a little glue and some ingenuity!

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

Thanks for the advice! Although I think that I can live with the tabs sticking out... it doesn't look that awful once I paint the tabs the same colour as the bases.

I have a question: how much water are you using when painting? When painting the miniature, I used a barely-wet brush: I washed it under the water often to avoid the paints mixing up and clogging the brush, but I rubbed the water off afterwards. Maybe I should've kept dipping the brush in water instead? Maybe that's why the mini looks so rough...

Thorne

Balance is good. Not too much, not too little - the more water you have, the more of a wash effect you'll get. It's true that going over the things with a little dark ink wash to make sure the cracks and crannies all have paint in them helps - it still looks rough, but you don't have those little bright spots sticking out of all the dark armor to advertise that you missed a bit. ^^;

Spraying a clear sealant on them (I prefer a matte, myself. iirc, Testors makes one. I don't know what might be available in your area, I use what I have which is, don't laugh, called 'Mr. Super Clear'.) is a good idea - helps keep the wear from normal handling down.
No guns needed, this is an aerosol can; but you will definitely want to do your spraying outdoors.

They'll look better as you keep doing it. And I suspect that, as you get better, people who don't/can't paint will start begging you to paint for them, which means you will get more practice, on different minis than you might ordinarily buy.
You can charge monies for this (and if you don't want them to take you and all the time and effort you put into learning for granted, you totally /should/ charge for it, but that's a different rant), and thus fund your habit. It turns into a bit of a cycle. <.<

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Beorning

As always, thanks :)

I have a question about the washes: I like them, they make shading easier - and it's cheaper to buy one dark wash than three shades of every colour. The question is, is there a way of using them without causing the model getting darker and "dirtier"? As I mentioned, my mini looked so dirty after washing I had to repaint parts of it.

Also, is there some easy way of making your own washes? I plan on giving my next mini blonde hair, so I could use some sort of yellow / orange / light brown wash (what colour is blonde, anyway?)...