Double Cross

Started by Malkavian, May 06, 2021, 09:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

Someone recently put me onto the anime-styled game "Double Cross" - an RPG in which you play as characters infected with a virus that has granted them superpowers. However, use of these powers risk the sanity of the character, as the virus can become more potent within them and erode their humanity.

I'm still reading over the book and such, but it looked pretty cool. Interested to hear back from anyone else who might have tried their hand at it.

RSGAlex

Did twice. The one here died because I'm ever trying to refine my hand at PBP pacing and keeping people going. The other one died because I was suddenly without computer for a while, but I like to think it was going well before I had no real way of running anything that couldn't be done on a phone that was an old model when Android Kitkat was announced.

Wish they'd managed to bring more of the material out, but it was fun playing spot the reference with what they had.
Signature Recreation Pending....

Downloading Drivers 1 of @*.

Please wait warmly.

Malkavian

How is the game? Is it worth giving it a go?

I've not read too much of it but I'm already tempted by a student Chimaera.

wander

I got the peedoof for it from drivethru years ago, prior to joining here.

I remember it being quite crunchy, though haven't reread it in years now.

I'm more a Shinobigami guy myself... Amazingly fun light system to play ninja in modern day.

I also hear Kamigakari is alright, I own it though haven't sat to read it fully yet.

Malkavian

Quote from: wander on May 07, 2021, 06:27:30 AMI'm more a Shinobigami guy myself... Amazingly fun light system to play ninja in modern day.

I also hear Kamigakari is alright, I own it though haven't sat to read it fully yet.

I have been eyeballing both and want to get my hands on them, but will need to wait before I do. Good to know they're decent though.

wander

I've wanted to do something Taimanin related with Shinobigami, though I didn't think it'd get interest (when I do seeking GMs for system game threads, they never get replies).

It has a fun system where each skill is noted on a table on your character sheet and you circle the ones you have.
If you need to do a check and you have the skill needed, you need to roll 5+ on 2d6, if you don't have the skill, you move squares until you reach a skill you do own, every square hopped makes the check go up 1 to a higher difficulty number, so if you need to hop to a skill you need two squares over, suddenly the check is (5+2=) 7+ (you also have to explain to the GM how you're using the replacement skill to do what's called for too).  :-)

Malkavian

Sounds interesting! May need to try and get a copy, and then give it a go. Like the idea of a modern, anime-style ninja story.

RSGAlex

Game's fairly simple, and text's a bit dry. It's of a different style that somewhat encourages bringing in new characters as the rolls go or as wanted.

Please wait warmly.

Malkavian

Quote from: RSGAlex on May 07, 2021, 01:45:11 PMGame's fairly simple, and text's a bit dry. It's of a different style that somewhat encourages bringing in new characters as the rolls go or as wanted.

I'm enjoying Double Cross so far, and despite how daunting the character sheets look, the core mechanic seems sound in principle. Might need to give it a whirl sometime.

RSGAlex

Quote from: Malkavian on May 07, 2021, 01:52:44 PM
I'm enjoying Double Cross so far, and despite how daunting the character sheets look, the core mechanic seems sound in principle. Might need to give it a whirl sometime.

The mechanics are nicely simple, and the main daunting thing would be to just have the power interactions at hand. Like, what they do in general, for your character, and when you pass a threshold of viral activity and it goes up in level.

Please wait warmly.

Malkavian

I would assume that could be handled with a chat with the group and GM when they're taken on initially.

Malkavian

I do like the looks of this game, but would need to be inducted into it by someone who knew the world and mechanics (since the core mechanic looks simple, but combat is no doubt far more involved).

Muse

Oh, hey.  :)  I remember this game.  I played it some. I even ran a few sessions.  (Wander, were you one of the ones who ran for me?) 

It's been quite some time, but i remember it as being perfectly playable with a solid core mechanic and an array of interesting powers.  There were game mechanics that allowed your characters social lives to effect their overall performance in the game.  I'd recommend it...  But it has been a while. 

If you find a GM I'd love a chance to apply. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

wander

I don't think I ever played the game here, though I could have done, Muse. ^^;;

I rarely GM though.

Muse

If you want to give it a try, I'll vouch for this group.  Malkavian is a great player.  She brings a lot of energy to a group.  She has a way of including details from other peoples posts in hers that keeps things really cohesive. 

I can't do that.  :)  I'm generally pleased with my posts if they were first drafts in a novel I was writing, but there's bits of craft for this kind of writing i still haven't picked up. 

I can't call to mind specific details about RSG's game participation right now, just a general sense of satisfaction. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Malkavian

I'd be keen to give it a go as a player. The Chimaera pregen looks interesting, though not sure if I'd keep it male (I probably would for a change of pace).

On the subject of JRPGS, I've recently gotten my hands on Tenra Bansho Zero: Heaven and Earth Edition and am loving the look and feel of that, too. Don't know if anyone's had any experience with it?