Firefly/Serenity Interest check (CLOSED)

Started by Cynadea, April 12, 2013, 07:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemon Lime

hmmm I like The Reliant. Or just Reliant. But I'm with Ember Star, ship names have a strong meaning. Or maybe it came with a name and it just sort of happened to work. :P
"And now, farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked."
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lemon Lime's O/O          Lemon Lime's A/A

Cynadea

I went for Providence. Eleanor's history will explain where it comes from and why she kept it.

so for the ooc thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171270.0
The character sheet thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=171262

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

kckolbe

Looks like the guest spots are all empty.  I'd be interested in playing a writer of some type.  He wouldn't be a novelist, but a more technical writer.  Perhaps the author of travel guides, or maybe a scientist of some type who checks on the terraforming of various worlds. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

vin26m

Name: Bonze Hanzo Hayabusa

Position: Guest
Cabin Number: Guest Room 7

Description: Hanzo appears to be a Buddhist monk or martial arts master.  His current plan is to walk the 'Verse, and his path is through Providence and his companions are her crew.
Personality:  Social, outgoing, kind, tolerant, patient, polite.
Special Skills & Interests: Hanzo is an expert in unarmed combat, melee weapons, throwing stars, bows and other relatively simple weapons.  He is extraordinarily athletic, stealthy and observant.  He can use firearms but prefers not to.  His skills are otherwise broad without being too deep, allowing him to act as a backup or assistant pilot, driver, medic or negotiator.  He especially enjoys growing vegetables and cooking.  His parts wisdom with fortune cookie sayings.  He sometimes gets his English mixed up.

Background:  Hanzo is a member of a small order of monks that don't quite fit in.  Many monks aspire to the ideals of monasticism, but members of the Justice Blade do not.  They accept a life of warfare.  Hanzo was invited by an existing member, and the Vigilant Council asked Hanzo to fight evil in his own way on his own terms.  Hanzo has decided that fate brought him to Providence and her crew.

Other Notes:

Cynadea

I think it's important to mention that the guests are people passing through. Passenger taken to get from point A to point B, kinda like the doctor of the series and the shepard should have been. Unless they actually pay a rent for the room. I mean, Eleanor would be looking for profit. She does have a thing for money :P

vin26m

Quote from: Aysande on April 14, 2013, 10:20:18 PM
I think it's important to mention that the guests are people passing through. Passenger taken to get from point A to point B, kinda like the doctor of the series and the shepard should have been. Unless they actually pay a rent for the room. I mean, Eleanor would be looking for profit. She does have a thing for money :P

Hanzo is a character similar to Book.  I could have him traveling "anywhere but here" and he can pay, but eventually he would become a member of the crew.

On the other hand, I thought about Hanzo going deeper into being a vigilante and using the shuttle for his missions.  He would pay Eleanor from his decent amount of wealth.

vin26m

What?

Quote from: Prosak on April 14, 2013, 11:46:48 PM
Eventually Will become a member of the crew?

I actually wrote "would" as in "might" or "potentially will," but not "definitely will." 

QuoteWill, is a big word.

You think four letters makes for a big word?

QuoteYou mean, might.

Yeah, I meant "might."  That's why I wrote "would" not "will."

QuoteNot trying to be mean. But use your word's correctly. And dont suspect the best.

I think you mean "But use your words correctly.  And don't expect the best."

QuoteAnd guest's, will always be guests.

"And guests will always be guests."

If you're going to correct me, at least be correct yourself.

I talked to the GM and she kindly turned me down.  If you're in the game, I can't really say I'm disappointed.

Have fun, everyone.

Tamhansen

I think you mean semantics :P But seriously though. Can we please stop arguing. Vin wants to play a guest, but with the intention of becoming a permanent character. Whether that will happen is something between him and the GM.

No need to attack each other over anything, so let's just be civil. Now if we can get back to the topic of the day. A firefly inspired RPG which we are all going to make great.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Lemon Lime

Quote from: Katataban on April 15, 2013, 08:02:31 AM
I think you mean semantics :P But seriously though. Can we please stop arguing. Vin wants to play a guest, but with the intention of becoming a permanent character. Whether that will happen is something between him and the GM.

No need to attack each other over anything, so let's just be civil. Now if we can get back to the topic of the day. A firefly inspired RPG which we are all going to make great.

Agreed. :D
"And now, farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked."
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lemon Lime's O/O          Lemon Lime's A/A

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Cynadea

That's a couple of posts I would have rather not woken up to. I've addressed Vin's character with him through PM as he mentioned, and also dropped a word to Prozak.

Back on topic: I'll close this thread to recruiting, as I feel we have enough people to get things started. Once we need guests, I'll post a request for them.

vin26m

Just putting this up here in case there's an opening for a guest.

Name: Bonze Hanzo Hayabusa

Position: Guest
Cabin Number: Whatever is available

Description: Hanzo appears to be a Buddhist monk or martial arts master.  He stands at about 5'8" and weighs about 165 pounds.  He keeps his black hair short and neat.  He does not have any tattoos, and has some light scars on his fists, elbows, knees, shins, face, and chest, probably from the numerous fistfights he has been in.  His physique is very lean and impressively muscular, evidence of his intensive regular exercise.  In terms of outfits, he prefers light, simple black clothing and footwear that allows him to move freely and quietly, particularly in shadows.  It also advertises his status and affects how others see him and treat him.  However, he does own a some clothing that allows him to fit in.

Personality:  Hanzo comes off as wise, patient, tolerant, kind, polite, curious and social.  After growing up within and living in a monastery for most of his life, he looks forward to seeing the 'Verse and pursuing justice.  While many of his brethren follow a stoic and ascetic lifestyle, Hanzo has eschewed these ideas.  He still follows his own set of ethics and moral code, but has opened himself up to experiencing worldly pleasures.  His current plan is to walk the 'Verse, and his path is potentially through Providence with her crew as his companions.

Special Skills & Interests:  Hanzo is a master in both unarmed combat (including punching, kicking, grappling, dodging) and armed combat (particularly with the sword, spear, sai, staff and nunchuku).  He is an expert with throwing weapons (such as shuriken or rocks) and archery (regular bows but not crossbows).  He is extraordinarily athletic (climbing, swimming, jumping and balancing better than most people), stealthy (moving silently and hiding in shadows) and observant (detecting enemies and searching for people or objects). 

He has a little experience with firearms, but owns none and prefers not to use them anyway. 

He is fluent in Mandarin but his English is not nearly as good and he mixes up common phrases. 

Hanzo shares his wisdom in the form of fortune cookie sayings, and is also pretty good at talking smack, sometimes avoiding fights through intimidation and sometimes provoking them through humiliation.  He very rarely backs down from a fight or from supporting a friend or the defenseless. 

His mental math is very strong. 

He is pretty good with rope. 

He has some rudimentary skill with first aid for injuries and with the usage of herbs, acupuncture and massage. 

He is generally useless when it comes to all kinds of modern technology, from using guns to driving vehicles to piloting ships or otherwise repairing anything. 

He enjoys riding horses, hunting, growing vegetables, drinking tea and cooking. 

His tolerance for alcohol is low but he has found a new enjoyment of cannabis.  He lacks experience with sex, gambling, music and dancing.

Background:  Hanzo was picked on as a child for his small stature, perceived weakness and mixed Asian heritage.  His parents enrolled him in self-defense classes, which eventually led him to embrace a larger philosophy and join an order of monks.  After studying martial arts such as wushu, kung fu, aikido and jiujitsu (all of which he excelled at) as well as traditional Chinese medicine (which he did not excel at), he became a teacher for his monastery. 

The monastery was attacked and wiped out by Alliance forces for reasons he never came to understand.  He and his students fought the best they could, but his class was killed and he had to uncharacteristically beat a hasty retreat so that he could live to fight another day.

Without a home or guidance, he eventually helped another monk who was ambushed by a gang of thugs.  This monk was a member of a small order of monks that do not quite fit in.  Many monks aspired to the ideals of monasticism, but members of ths particular order, the Justice Blade, did not.  They accepted a life of warfare to make things right.  Hanzo was invited by this existing member he saved, and the order's governing body, the Vigilant Council, asked Hanzo to continue fighting evil in his own way and on his own terms. 

After single-handedly bringing down a crime lord and stealing his wealth, Hanzo is on the run with a sack of credits and basic necessities from both the Alliance and the crime lord's remaining gang.  He will not give up his personal missions of protecting those who are attacked and avenging those who have been wronged.

Other Notes:  Hanzo has a shipment of medical supplies and foodstuffs that require delivery to needy colonists.  He requires the services of a smuggler ship and her crew to get past the Alliance and other warlord or crime lord factions.

Eleanor Duval (captain) - Hanzo and Eleanor share a love for tea and unarmed combat.  Hanzo can show Eleanor some combat moves.  Perhaps Eleanor's Companion training can help Hanzo learn moves of his own.

Alec Masters (first mate) - Hanzo and Alec share a dislike for the Alliance and for unarmed combat.  They can train together, and Alec can show Hanzo how to play cards.

Kyle Lancaster (pilot) - Hanzo will be initially put off by his Alliance flight jacket, but will come to a respect him for the difficult background he overcame and for who he has become today.  Kyle's piloting skills are especially invaluable to get past blockades undetected.

Nicoline "Nick" Ciruli (gunner) - Hanzo respects Nick's protectiveness of the crew and her skill in melee, but loathes her eagerness to make things explode and to get into firefights.

Dr. Kalliyan (Kal) Onoriosa (doctor) - Hanzo is experienced with yoga and tai chi and can share these interests with Dr. Kal.  He admires her intelligence and is eager to share his knowledge of non-Western medicine.  They also share an aversion to firearms.  He admires her desire to help others.  He may be the one who can help her deal with her feelings about the war and help her end her nightmares.

James Quinn (mechanic) - Hanzo admires the man who can understand, modify and repair something he himself has no understanding of.  They can share recipes or split cooking duties for the crew.

Lyzander Recca (Companion) - Hanzo's understanding of the Companion lifestyle is non-existent, and yet he finds it fascinating,  While there are obvious differences, there are subtle similarities that Hanzo is curious about.

vin26m

Just putting this up here in case there's an opening for a pilot.

Name: Sue

Position: Pilot
Cabin Number:

Description: Sue looks Spanish and sounds like a cowboy.  He has long black hair and a moustache.  He usually wears a cowboy hat, a t-shirt and a pair of denim jeans, but he does own a suit and a soldier's uniform.  He stands at about 5'10" and weighs in at about 170 pounds.  He has a lean build with a bit of muscle.  His skin has various scars.

Personality:  Sue is a simple guy with simple tastes.  He likes food, drinks, drugs, guns, gambling, ground-based vehicles, spaceships and women.  He speaks in a straightforward manner, often offending others unintentionally.  He's outgoing and friendly and likes to live up every moment he can.  He wants to see the 'Verse, which is why he became a pilot and why he wants to join the crew of the Providence.  At least that's what he says.  Really, he just likes the captain, gunner and doctor, all of whom are gorgeous women.

Special Skills & Interests:  Sue is a gifted pilot and driver, and a crackshot with a hunting rifle.  While he owns a small arsenal of firearms, he's not trained with any of them.  Sue's experience in fighting is limited to the occasional barroom brawl, caused by him hitting on the wrong lady and resulting in getting himself hit by the lady's male friend.  While he's a bad brawler, he can take some punishment and resist pain.  He is a pretty tough dude.  Sue is also comfortable in zero-g environments and wearing a spacesuit.  Sue thinks of himself as a cook, too, and is more than happy to show the crew what his momma taught him.

Background:  Sue is a bit of a man of mystery, and doesn't bother sharing his history.

"There ain't nothin' interestin' to tell."

He seems to have grown up on the frontier planet of Shadow, where he started making a living as a ranch hand.

"Ah ain't never been much of a cowboy - I wasn't no good at dealin' with horses and cattle.  No, my aptitude was in drivin' land speeders and the like - even got to racin' some and winnin' most - and then I learned how to pilot spaceships with an old man I met in the militia.  He had some connections to a flight school, and my momma would be proud to say that I graduated top of my class.  I piloted that old man's old beat up Firefly Series 1 until we done got shot down by the gorram Alliance."

Sue's mom is now a chef on a core world, but he hasn't mentioned anything about any other family.

Cynadea

I follow a list, so if it goes down to you, I'll let you know. Thanks for the submission.