rp in the SB

Started by Verasaille, December 01, 2015, 03:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

I would like to know why the rules are against that ongoing playful rp between the members of the SB. I do not see it as harmful or disruptive.

I see it as playful and fun. It encourages people to join in and play. No one takes it seriously and I know of a few who were banned for doing it. I realize it is a public face of Elliquiy. And that sometimes it gets very active.

If there is a way to do it, can we have a chat window that invites and encourages spontaneous rp? I don't care if it is members only.

A lot of people like to chat and rp in an instant way, without the inconvenience of making a thread and constantly refreshing it to see responses. In my mind, forcing people to stop the spontaneous fun is stifling and irritating.

We just want a place we can enjoy the instant gratification of the spontaneous play!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Giantmutantcrab

I agree with this.

Though we must follow the rules, perhaps a Roleplay Box could be feasible?  It would allow those of us that cannot access instant messaging systems to RP and roll dice to do so in a nice, small box of our own without incurring the wrath of the staff members in the chatroom who see us as breaking the rules?

It would allow for us to have fast, silly fun without having to build a thread.

^___^

Nico

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 03:18:09 PM
I would like to know why the rules are against that ongoing playful rp between the members of the SB. I do not see it as harmful or disruptive.

I see it as playful and fun. It encourages people to join in and play. No one takes it seriously and I know of a few who were banned for doing it. I realize it is a public face of Elliquiy. And that sometimes it gets very active.

If there is a way to do it, can we have a chat window that invites and encourages spontaneous rp? I don't care if it is members only.

A lot of people like to chat and rp in an instant way, without the inconvenience of making a thread and constantly refreshing it to see responses. In my mind, forcing people to stop the spontaneous fun is stifling and irritating.

We just want a place we can enjoy the instant gratification of the spontaneous play!

Not everyone is comfortable with RP outside of RP threads. Elliquiy offers... so many threads for roleplaying. The SB is meant to be for idle, casual chatter, for a place to say hello (also for new members). There also is the IRC for roleplaying in chat-format. And, of course, the ShoutBox is an out-of-character area.

Another thing is that RP generally tends to leave out people and monopolize the shotbox. And we wouldn't want that.

Oreo

I believe the new CMS will accommodate this in the form of a chat type PM system.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Avis habilis

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 03:18:09 PM
A lot of people like to chat and rp in an instant way, without the inconvenience of making a thread and constantly refreshing it to see responses.

Hence the ability for approved members to link their IM information in their profiles.

Verasaille

Thanks for your input Nic. I just feel it is squashing creativity. Threads are fine if you like to constantly refresh your page to see new posts.

I understand the point of it, I would just like to see a chat window where those who like to rp in chat can go.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Nico

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 03:46:43 PM
Thanks for your input Nic. I just feel it is squashing creativity. Threads are fine if you like to constantly refresh your page to see new posts.

I understand the point of it, I would just like to see a chat window where those who like to rp in chat can go.
You are most welcome. :-)

That's why I mentioned the IRC. That is chat.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Nicholas on December 01, 2015, 03:36:37 PM
Not everyone is comfortable with RP outside of RP threads. Elliquiy offers... so many threads for roleplaying. The SB is meant to be for idle, casual chatter, for a place to say hello (also for new members). There also is the IRC for roleplaying in chat-format. And, of course, the ShoutBox is an out-of-character area.

Another thing is that RP generally tends to leave out people and monopolize the shotbox. And we wouldn't want that.

And in IRC, we tend to encourage general chat in the main room (public face) and more expansive RP in the private parts of the E chat rooms, as well as in private PMs.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Giantmutantcrab

Quote from: Oreo on December 01, 2015, 03:45:04 PM
I believe the new CMS will accommodate this in the form of a chat type PM system.

What is this new CMS, Oreo?

Yeah I can't use IRC on my work computer.  Hence the want for a SB-based RP box.

I just dislike being banned from the shoutbox for RPing on a RP site.  I see it as being a bit counter-productive to the concept of a RP site.

Nico

Quote from: The Dark Raven on December 01, 2015, 03:48:15 PM
And in IRC, we tend to encourage general chat in the main room (public face) and more expansive RP in the private parts of the E chat rooms, as well as in private PMs.
Thank you for mentioning that, darling. I have no clue how IRC works.  :-*

Verasaille

I know that IM's are available, but not everyone can have them if they are restricted in their use of the pc at work.

Also it would be nice Oreo if the new system allows us to chat instead of PM.

I have put up an interest check in the off forums section to see if I can get people to use Skype. But again, not everyone can use it or any IM for that matter.

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Nicholas on December 01, 2015, 03:49:44 PM
Thank you for mentioning that, darling. I have no clue how IRC works.  :-*

H/T  <3

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Oreo

Quote from: Giantmutantcrab on December 01, 2015, 03:48:29 PM
What is this new CMS, Oreo?

Yeah I can't use IRC on my work computer.  Hence the want for a SB-based RP box.

I just dislike being banned from the shoutbox for RPing on a RP site.  I see it as being a bit counter-productive to the concept of a RP site.

Vekseid is currently working diligently on coding a new forum : The New CMS request thread.

As I understand it you will be able to chat with any people you invite to your PM chat, just like using Yahoo chat. It will be private to those you wish to play with. The PM system will not be like it is now.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Verasaille

That page is not working for me Oreo.

The idea sounds good though. When will it be implemented?

Verasaille

I do not get any response in the IRC channel. Even though it has a bunch of people in it.

Oreo

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 03:56:20 PM
That page is not working for me Oreo.

The idea sounds good though. When will it be implemented?

Try the link now. I borked it earlier. >.< Sorry.

Verasaille

I understand the need for rules. But the rule against rp in the SB is being enforced a little bit too heavy handed. The silly spontaneous chat of people playing jokes and offering a little bit of fun to an otherwise boring conversation would be encouraging to new members. I think the heavy handed ban hammer is unnecessary when the little bit of rp in the SB is merely playful fun. It is not intended to make fun of anyone or to leave anyone out.

To me it sends the message to members and non members alike that we are not allowed to have fun and be playful. It has driven people off site. And no I will not say who, I respect the privacy of individuals not to reveal the source.

Blythe

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 04:29:52 PM
To me it sends the message to members and non members alike that we are not allowed to have fun and be playful. It has driven people off site. And no I will not say who, I respect the privacy of individuals not to reveal the source.

Speaking from some experience here...we've also had a lot of people driven away because of things like RP in the SB.

It's something many feel strongly about on both sides. The mods understand why you feel the way you feel, but they have to deal with a bigger picture, too.

There's the non-forum requests area, the IRC, AS, and the RLD that can already accommodate members who want members-only casual open RP, too--that's four areas for it already, two of which are chat-style environments. I'm just not sure E needs a fifth way that adds additional work onto moderators and potentially will make more people uncomfortable than it would make happy.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 04:29:52 PM
I understand the need for rules. But the rule against rp in the SB is being enforced a little bit too heavy handed. The silly spontaneous chat of people playing jokes and offering a little bit of fun to an otherwise boring conversation would be encouraging to new members. I think the heavy handed ban hammer is unnecessary when the little bit of rp in the SB is merely playful fun. It is not intended to make fun of anyone or to leave anyone out.

From the Shoutbox Rules:

• Roleplaying in the SB.  Greetings like: /me hugs/cuddles so and so....is fine.  It's when it crosses the line to actual role playing that it needs to be taken to PM or one of the Adult Socializing threads. This includes pretending to be a dog, a cat, or any other non-human entity in the SB.

We do understand that it can be fun for people, but something you have to keep in mind, is that E has over 35,000 members.  If we allow a 'few' people to RP in the SB, we would have to allow everyone to RP in the SB.  Now, I realize that not all of those members are active, but even if half of them are active, and if half of those members use the SB, and half of them in turn use the SB and want to use it to RP in.....can you imagine what that would be like for anyone to try and have a conversation in?  Or to try and join in the fun if you have a hundred people doing a hundred different RP things?  Or a a thousand members pretending to be one form of critter or another? 

We aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade, or trying to infringe on anyone's fun, but you have to keep in mind that if we allow something for one person, we have to allow it for all members, and the current set up doesn't allow us to do that. 

Hopefully that helps a little bit. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 03:58:00 PM
I do not get any response in the IRC channel. Even though it has a bunch of people in it.

Vera,

Some folks idle in the channel.  If you need me to hop in, I can.  I'm one of the ops but not currently not on because of some RL things going on.  Just let me know.

Verasaille

The very few I see in the SB are not usually over ten or so, that is far from thousands. Did you ever think there is a reason so many people do NOT use the SB?

I am on full a lot of hours and usually the SB is dead. No one is talking and no one is even listed on the full screen one. Or if they are there, they are AFK.

The few times when it is active, people are happy chatting away. If a little bit of rp is used the ones doing it are banned, sometimes without warning. Yes the rules are there and yes I know the reason for them. I am just suggesting they be relaxed a bit or give an alternative all can use.

Not everyone goes into the IRC. They want to look at the top of the page and see the friendly conversation going and still access the rest of the site. IRC interferes with that, from what I noticed.

The PM's are not always as spontaneous and you have to keep refreshing to get them. Threads take time to set up and keep active. Most people are too lazy or busy to actively do the rp in a thread, when it is easier to rp the silliness instantly in the SB, or an equivalent.

MagicalPen

Lots of activity in the IRC. There is almost nothing in the Public IRC room, but in the Ellilounge - the approved only members area - there is often conversations and banter through the course of the day. Sometimes it is quiet, sometimes busy, and sometimes people are RP-ing there. It can be hit or miss, but putting out a feeler never hurt.

I always view the SB as what it is - the Shout Box - a place to say 'hey' or 'whatsup'. A lot of people don't use it (it used to be part of the mainpage, before being made optional to view).

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Verasaille on December 01, 2015, 05:24:14 PM
The very few I see in the SB are not usually over ten or so, that is far from thousands. Did you ever think there is a reason so many people do NOT use the SB?

I am on full a lot of hours and usually the SB is dead. No one is talking and no one is even listed on the full screen one. Or if they are there, they are AFK.

The few times when it is active, people are happy chatting away. If a little bit of rp is used the ones doing it are banned, sometimes without warning. Yes the rules are there and yes I know the reason for them. I am just suggesting they be relaxed a bit or give an alternative all can use.

Not everyone goes into the IRC. They want to look at the top of the page and see the friendly conversation going and still access the rest of the site. IRC interferes with that, from what I noticed.

The PM's are not always as spontaneous and you have to keep refreshing to get them. Threads take time to set up and keep active. Most people are too lazy or busy to actively do the rp in a thread, when it is easier to rp the silliness instantly in the SB, or an equivalent.

The rules are in place for a reason.  They have been in place for a long time, for a reason.  I'm sorry that you feel they impede your enjoyment of the SB, but until the new CMS gets up and running, we have to deal with what we have.   
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Verasaille

When I log into IRC, I get something called sorcery.net. I don't know how to get into the rp or the chat part.

MagicalPen

I think there is a thread somewhere that explains how to get into the IRC? I am not well versed in it but once its setup right its a cinch.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games