Stuck on writing prompts!

Started by Meedleboot, June 15, 2011, 06:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meedleboot

Well, I'd imagine that everyone got stuck at least once, so when you did get stuck, where did you look for inspiration? I ask this because it's interesting to find out where other people get their inspiration from, and if anyone else is stuck, maybe it will help them out.
PlusI'mtotallystuckmyself.

I personally like to watch TV and just let things wander in and out of my mind. I find being in the movies jump starts my brain, as well as looking through past RPs. Sometimes, just talking to friends helps, too!
So what about you guys?

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I was hoping I put it in the right place.)

Shjade

Conversations. I get more spontaneous writing ideas out of interacting with other people than almost anything else. Ideas derived from something I read comes in second, so reading is an okay substitute if you're short on conversation partners.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Beguile's Mistress

I've found plot bunnies at amusement parks, in the drug store, on a ketchup bottle and a shampoo bottle.  There was a good one that came from something written on the door of a stall in a public restroom.  They come from anywhere and everywhere.  Look to the left and below my avatar.  That's what a What if? machine is for.

Lilias

Most of my inspiration comes from books, movies and TV shows, though it's not always controllable. If I need a shot of inspiration to deal with something, and fast, I commonly use the internet, particularly starting somewhere with lots of random links to follow (Wikipedia is particularly good for that).
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Meedleboot

@Shjade: I found some inspiration for my writing prompt through having goofy conversations with my friends. It was a bit of an odd idea, but most of my ideas tend to be a little out there anyway.

@Beguile's Mistress: Getting RP plots from life sounds really interesting. I want to try that sometime now. A what if machine. That certainly sound interesting, too.

@Lilias: I find that I get a lot of inspiration from the Redwall series. Or at least, I used to. It's not as strong anymore. On the clicking a lot of random links thing, though. I can't count how many times I've caught myself surfing wikipedia. It really is a great place.

Inkidu

I don't get stuck, but I do get spontaneous and continuous overflow. It's like reverse writer's block. I get so many ideas it's hard to shave it down to a taut narrative structure. Which leads to rubbish ideas and depression. :(
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oreo

I often get inspiration from pictures. More often from music or lyrics.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Serephino

Sometimes I look through the request threads.  I may not like the exact ideas, but once in a while something similar will pop into my head.  Then I message the person to see if they like my spin on their idea.

I also get inspiration from books and movies sometimes.  I dunno, my mind can't stay focused on the movie, it has to wander and come up with different scenarios.  Music can further inspire an idea I already had, but rarely do I get new ideas from it.

The weirdest thing I ever got inspiration from is masturbation fantasies.  Like I said, my mind is all over the place, even then.  All kinds of weird shit pops into my head. 

DudelRok

If I'm having an actual writing block, I stop and do something else... anything else. It isn't long before the brain begins thinking again, after that. The primary deal is to focus elsewhere so that the river damn can break naturally.

My primary problem is will/desire which can only be solved with time. :(

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread