Deleted PMs

Started by Aiden, September 23, 2008, 01:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiden

Well let me start by saying that it is my fault, since I was the one who cleared my PM boxes, because seeing all those pages was confusing me.

But I lost contact with a member on E I was talking with back and forth, over a story we were working the kinks out and now I can't remember the name....

If there any way I can restore the PMs?
I promise to be more careful from now on....

(this might be in the wrong section, I did not seen the HELP! thread, sorry!)

Trieste

Trieste

Er. Also. I have never seen a way in which one can retrieve deleted PMs, but Vekseid might be able to snag it off the server if you PM him asking nicely. You might have to offer to blow him... I hear he's a bit ambivalent about that, but you can probably convince him.

:D

Aiden

Porphyre

I don't know SMF too well but if the PMs are still in the other person's outbox, they're still on the server with your name as a recipient.

It's possible to run a query for all messages sent to you and try to sift through them, but there might be a lot of reasons why that's not a good idea.

NightBird

You can also always post a query in players wanted or something, asking the person to contact you.

Dawg

Quote from: NightBird on September 24, 2008, 09:09:54 AM
You can also always post a query in players wanted or something, asking the person to contact you.

That is probably the best alternative.

While a query can be  run on the database from other members account to pull up all the PM's that you sent, you would not be able to reinsert that data easily into your pm box.  The resulting file would be difficult to read in raw format and would most likely need to be washed to a format you can scan through to find the PM's you seek.  But the main reason I would cite from past experience is it would take away valuable programming time from the site programmers that could be better utilized to keep the site running as well as it does and future upgrades to make it better.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]