Suggestion: A/A & O/O Links

Started by Ember Star, December 06, 2013, 11:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

This is merely a suggestion of something that might or might not help improve the site. Feel free to disregard if its stupid ^_^

As many of you know you can turn avatars and signatures off so you do not see them at all. I have known a few people who keep them off for various reasons. The signature part can be rather unfortunate since most of us link A/A and O/O threads there. With consistent complaints of "they didn't read my O/O" or "why does nobody ever read my A/A" I begin to wonder if this feature might be part of the issue there.

My suggestion is that a none signature way to link these threads be added to the profile. Something like how the IM links work, maybe? That way they are visible to everybody whenever they look at your profile or the user block next to every post.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

RedPhoenix

You can put a link to it in your roleplay preferences. :)
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Beguile's Mistress

That isn't such a bad idea.  You might want to post it in the CMS request thread.

Ember Star

Quote from: RedPhoenix on December 06, 2013, 11:25:21 AM
You can put a link to it in your roleplay preferences. :)
Yeah, but not everybody uses RPP. So that's not the most visible place either.
Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on December 06, 2013, 11:25:45 AM
That isn't such a bad idea.  You might want to post it in the CMS request thread.
Thanks! I will :)
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Ember Star

I was just fiddling with my profile and saw y'all added this! Thank you so much! It looks great! And is good timing since I just had to rearrange and remove my personal thread badges out of my signature to make room for other things *giggle*

Vekseid

I can make any number of them, but thought to start with one and see what people thought. : )

To avoid confusion, this one may end up getting baleeted if I add one for A&As/Personal Threads and such.

Hera

Can I just say that I love this?  I think it'd be fantastic to have O/O and A/A dedicated ones!

Haibane

I'm not seeing these links. Where do they appear?

Ember Star

Quote from: Haibane on December 19, 2013, 04:54:40 PM
I'm not seeing these links. Where do they appear?
Under "view my rolls" it says "my thread" it only appears if you have it set

Caeli

It is currently located directly above the PM/Profile/IM icons, and below the links for "My Role Play Preferences" and "View My Rolls".

The link reads "My Thread", but I believe it only shows up if you filled in that space in your profile settings.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Haibane

I must be doing something wrong. I still see nothing. How do I enable it in my profile?

Something this useful should be announced. Might an e-mail to the site membership be the best way?

Caeli

After you add a URL, look at your "mini-profile/profile summary" next to a post in the forum (as opposed to your profile page, which you have a screenshot of above).

You can add a thread here, in the forum profile section under 'modify profile'.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Haibane

Ah, I see it now. Thanks. It would be cool to have this new feature announced though. Are such things announced somewhere?

Caeli

I think Veks might be testing it for the moment, but it hasn't officially been rolled out.  I think the idea was that eventually there will be two fields for the A&As and (thread) O&Os.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Ember Star

Haibane

I don't see a need for an O/Os link as its easy to find by simply looking in the O/Os forum. I plonked my 1-on-1 RP ideas thread there. To me that seems to be the best use of that link.

Thanks for mentioning this anyway, it's very useful.

Ember Star

Not everybody uses the grid O/O which is why I suggested it. Or to link a A/A thread. Idea thread works too. For me I linked my O/O which links to my A/A. Don't have an idea thread at the moment.

Haibane

I didn't mean the grid/matrix O/O. I find that completely souless and useless. I meant the O/Os thread. A person's post is still easy to find in there, you just sort the threads into alphabetical order by poster and go to the one you want.

Caeli

It's a pretty easy process, but trying to find someone in the middle of the alphabet is a bit of a drag if you don't make a good guess about which page they're on, etc. I think it would be convenient/nice to have a link available for that. :-)

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Ember Star

Plus, not everybody knows you can do that. Or is gonna go to that trouble. Going to the section and searching the person's user name would be easier to me, but again, not everybody knows about that function. Nor does everybody put their exact user name in the thread. Which could make either of those ways essentially impossible.  I use the signature links myself, but I've run into people not knowing about or seeing those. There's also issues with things showing properly if you mix text and pictures. Which is why I just have pictures. But I'm only allowed five :0