Kobold Game set up and full, thanks!

Started by Quinz128, March 04, 2016, 05:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quinz128

As it states, just wanna play a kobold character. I have several ideas and will fit it into the campaign as it goes, so if youre just seeking players for a PF or D&D 3-3.5-4-5 campaign I can jump in, whether it's already begun or not. If you have a game that just went through a kobold snarl and want to snag me as a replacement for an NPC idea, or just toss some plot point I'd bring up, sure. Traditional or non-traditional Kobolds are fine, just wanna play one!

So, open to Pathfinder, D&D 3, 3.5, 4, 5, Mutants and Masterminds or Capes, Cowls and Villains Foul. The latter two are just because out of the systems I know I could be one in such and be a 'secret' society of kobolds underground or just a time-displaced kind of character in such a game.

ragarth

I love playing kobolds. :-)

I wouldn't mind finding a pathfinder group that I can play a kobold in as well. I tend to specialize in playing wizards these days.

In the last couple games I've played the GM gives some boon in race point cost to bring the kobold up to equal footing with all the tall meat sacks. Usually from greater weakness (+2 dex -4 str, -2 con,) to standard (+2 dex, +2 int, -2 str) ability scores. This brings them up to being 8RP creatures, which is close to human at 9RP.

If we can get four people to play kobolds, and one GM, we can have an all kobold party. :D Crazy hats for everyone!

Quinz128

Well! Keep me posted if you see anything, then and I'll do the same. Doesn't have to be a kobold-party, but I just want to play one, myself. There was an idea I had a long time ago about a modern-style game where underground nuclear testing hit a larger hidden kobold Snarl and caused mass devastation. Eventually, this had the remaining kobolds to go on a quest for VENGEANCE! And have to deal with mutated/insane koboldic radiation-zombies, modern human personnel, etc. I thought it a cool idea, but never got a group for it IRL.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Oddly, there are a few of us around here who like playing kobolds, so the possibility of a kobold party is not that far-fetched. The trick is getting them all to rally...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Quinz128

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 04, 2016, 03:49:51 AM
Oddly, there are a few of us around here who like playing kobolds, so the possibility of a kobold party is not that far-fetched. The trick is getting them all to rally...

The irony... Or least I'd take that as irony.

Chulanowa

I keep trying to figure out how to re-fit assorted Pathfinder modules and AP's to kobold-themed ones... Sadly, still learning how to run the game, so, not real confident in my ability to alter things just yet...

Quinz128

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 04, 2016, 10:30:01 PM
I keep trying to figure out how to re-fit assorted Pathfinder modules and AP's to kobold-themed ones... Sadly, still learning how to run the game, so, not real confident in my ability to alter things just yet...

Why would you need to refit things? I mean, if we're talking about kobolds as players there's not much difficulty in giving them a reason why to hunt down things. Depends on how traditional you want them to be, but generally it can be 'FOR THE TRIBE!' or "AN OTHER REASON SOMEONE WANTS TO ADVENTURE!" xD

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Heya Chula (one of the other kobold players I mentioned ;D).

I am 99% sure there were some Pathfinder modules that were set up for tribal goblins. It might not be hard (or it might, I don't know, haven't played them) to swap some narrative elements around to make it appropriate for a kobold snarl.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

It might not be the worst idea to rephrase the title of the post as "Four kobolds seeking Gamemaster," as that might grab the eye of someone who wasn't interested in the possibly solo sounding title of "I just want to play a kobold." Just putting it out there as an idea!

Additionally, anyone have any other ideas for possible scenarios involving 4(+) kobolds? The post-apoc atomic kobolds sounds like a hoot, frankly, but I have no idea how that'd work as far as finding a system to run with it. (BTW, system-wise I'm familiar with PF, 3.0, and 3.5. Didn't enjoy 4 and sold it. Can't afford to pick up 5.)

Some quick thoughts off the top of my head:

Coming of Age - 4+ kobolds are given a quest to prove their worth to the tribe/stop them cluttering up the cave. Shenanigans ensue. Possibly even leading to surprise and consternation if they succeed and return in glory when they really weren't supposed to.

Kobolds take Manhattan - 4+ kobolds in the big city. Thieves guild doesn't accept kobolds? Fine, we'll form our own! The halflings may disagree...

The Milk Run - Any human peasant will tell you that kobolds steal babies. This is racist stereotyping, obviously. But anyway...The real headache starts when they have to take care of them. It's no use contemplating why the boss's daughter wanted a halfling baby, that's already a done deal and nothing to do with you. Stealing a cow and getting it down through the dungeon to the kobold warren seemed like a good idea at first. To somebody. Which is why you were given the job. Hey, are they trying to get rid of you again?

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Quinz128

Sure I can switch it over. I'd run as GM with other folks, since I could get my use of Kobold-isms, but I don't feel I have the time or energy to GM. But I'll change the title.

Also The Post-Apoc thing would use the D&D 3.0/3.5 rules, chances or just go with PF and tweak D20 Modern a bit to fit it for the futuristic stuff. Or just go Capes, Cowls, Villains Fowls for an open system.

Foxfyr

I would be up for running a game full of kobold misadventures.  Was there a mood you were looking for specifically?  On one hand, I can modify the more lighthearted adventure path "We Be Goblins!" to fit a kobold theme.  Alternatively, I could run a slightly modified more serious (and long running) "Way of the Wicked" adventure path.  Or if neither of those pique your interest, I could try to homebrew some sort of piratey themed misadventure.   :-)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 12, 2016, 03:36:54 PM
I would be up for running a game full of kobold misadventures.  Was there a mood you were looking for specifically?  On one hand, I can modify the more lighthearted adventure path "We Be Goblins!" to fit a kobold theme.  Alternatively, I could run a slightly modified more serious (and long running) "Way of the Wicked" adventure path.  Or if neither of those pique your interest, I could try to homebrew some sort of piratey themed misadventure.   :-)

I have to say, those all look entertaining...But the pirate one particularly sounds comically fun. The again, practically any kobold brigandry sounds fun. "Stand and deliver or we'll cut yer kneecaps off!"

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Whew! I step back from this for a bit to handle some RL shenanigans and it took off!

Keep in mind that kobolds don't care about a few losses, so pushing a zany and ridiculous idea with a high mortality risk is no big deal. Kobolds that survive are either lucky or good.

To that end, operating out of a snarl and getting the 'eh, you probably won't come back' job works.

Trapmaster Klik: "We need more piranhas for the fish tank traps. YOU FOUR! GET ME PIRANHAS!"

My current kobold character in a more standard group is on a quest for the cannon of teleportation. You climb in it and it teleports you wherever its pointing.

My vote is for pathfinder. It's free and I know the system pretty well. I also vote that we do slow or normal XP progression. What would everyone like in terms of format, play by post, roll 20 + skype, what? My current game is fast xp progression and meets once every 2-3 weeks.. it's horrible.

Also, what class would you consider playing? I really enjoy being a wizard. I also hear kobolds make mean crit fishers.

Chulanowa

I'm in! Pretty much anything, really... but I've had the notion of a Kobold take on the kingmaker AP... Not so much interested in WotW's "death death devil devil evil evil" angles. But really? Anything I can play a stupid reckless iquana o' doom works for me -Scurries off to guoh's art-

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: ragarth on April 13, 2016, 10:01:28 PM
My vote is for pathfinder. It's free and I know the system pretty well. I also vote that we do slow or normal XP progression. What would everyone like in terms of format, play by post, roll 20 + skype, what? My current game is fast xp progression and meets once every 2-3 weeks.. it's horrible.

Pathfinder is free?!

I'm good with normal XP progression...Slow XP progression on a PbP game is equivalent to "No" XP progression.

My scheduling is all over the place, so anything 'cept PbP is hard for me to deal with. I'd prefer PbP and 3-4+ posts/week minimum (preferably more but we all know 1/day isn't always doable...bad days happen).

I am currently playing a Kobold alchemyst in Carrion Crown, here. I'm up for practically any class, though, so if other people have specific things they really want to play I'm happy to bat cleanup.

(*And there's another alchemyst kobold starting point...The one who always has to do bat cleanup to collect guano to grind down for the explosive traps!)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

Count me in as well. :-) I'm not sure how well We Be goblins will convert for kobolds. It dives pretty deep into goblin culture, which is very different from pathfinder kobold culture.

Kobold pirates sounds like a barrel full of amusement. Would we be operating out of an island warren with 1+ ships, or would we be just a galley of kobolds?

Hmm... kobold pirate siege wizard. That sounds despicable. It definitely gives reason to use those rarely touched magic siege weapon spells.

So... if I'm a kobold wizard and I have a goose familiar, is it going to be big enough for her to ride and is it's name going to be Madam Matador? :-)

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 14, 2016, 01:48:20 AM
Pathfinder is free?!

I'm good with normal XP progression...Slow XP progression on a PbP game is equivalent to "No" XP progression.

My scheduling is all over the place, so anything 'cept PbP is hard for me to deal with. I'd prefer PbP and 3-4+ posts/week minimum (preferably more but we all know 1/day isn't always doable...bad days happen).

I am currently playing a Kobold alchemyst in Carrion Crown, here. I'm up for practically any class, though, so if other people have specific things they really want to play I'm happy to bat cleanup.

(*And there's another alchemyst kobold starting point...The one who always has to do bat cleanup to collect guano to grind down for the explosive traps!)

I've never done a full-on d20 pbp game. I actually have very little pbp experience at all.

My primary concern with PbP is that I may grow bored with it and fail to maintain. Perhaps PbP with the occasional session irregularly scheduled chat session on roll20? Then we'll just post the chat transcript to elliquiy.

Metro Mech

If you're going to start something up with Kobolds then you better count on my interest being quite peaked. Would there be a bit of room for an old dog like me? Lost in the fanasty of dungeon crawlimg to fame and fortune?
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

Quinz128

Chiming in real quick: I'd prefer a Play-by-Post as well, since I rarely get time to do an actual game every week or so and I think 3-5 posts a week per person would be reasonable for those that want to be active. If it would require some kind of active session, I'm not sure how well I could maintain that, might have to be Friday Evenings for me as that is my usually only freetime, other than the sporatic "OH I got an hour, I'll catch up on my RP-posts' I end up getting each day, but even then I don't know when those usually are, why I refuse to do IMs.

In admission, I do kind of like the pirate idea, as it is unique and it could be an island snarl where they have excursions to raid or even just a sea-bound group of kobolds that are more nomadic. Would keep them kobolds, but have them have a unique culture to other kobolds. Maybe even have conflict with some. Landbound ones.

And I agree with Pathfinder as the Rules. I'm most familiar with it, but if we want to get quite out there, there's always Capes, Cowls and Villains Fowl's system which is basically, 'make shit up and go wild, within these loose rules of powers/abilities'.

Foxfyr

Looks like everybody is feeling the pirate life, so we'll go with that campaign theme.  In that case, here is the small corner of the worldspace that your kobold tribe inhabits:

The Qanescir Clan (or Shining Clan in the common tongue) of kobolds has long since claimed their territory along a small peninsula covered in an overgrown jungle all the way to the water's edge.  The natural formation has let itself well to defending your territory, allowing your kind to flourish within their borders.  Expanding your borders beyond the bottleneck, on the other hand, has proven a much more difficult matter as the monsters residing deeper into the jungle seem to have an affinity for the taste of kobold. 

One such crusade to carve a deeper swath of territory ended in a massacre; of the several dozen mighty warriors sent into the jungle, only a handful were able to return home despite their severe wounds.  They did not do so empty-handed; a glowing, pure-white crystal.  For generations following the recovery of the lucky stone, the sea has been so abundant with food that there was no longer a need to push deeper into the jungle to provide for the clan.  Instead, they took to the waters for fishing, both from the shore as well as on crude rafts for more plentiful hauls.  The stone had brought such fortune to the clan that it had changed its namesake to Qanescir, in homage to the shining stone that has since been enshrined at the center of your village.

One day, the greatest threat your kind had ever faced stumbled upon your shores.  A massive ship anchored along your shores and creatures with skin of thick leather and metal invaded your village.  The warriors battled better than a hundred such beasts charged into your territory as they seemed to head directly towards the shrine for the lucky stone.  In the end, they had underestimated the might of your army as well as the clever traps that had been set in place around your stone.  All the invaders who had stepped foot on your land had been slain and the dozen bodies were set aside to be feasted upon that night.  Not before a raiding party was gathered to sneak aboard their vessel to take it for themselves at nightfall.  With that, tales your clan’s victory over a thousand giants coated in metal was well under way to becoming a thing of tribal legend.

The loot attained by your tribe that day was incalculable.  Weapons made of metal rather than stone, the softest fabrics you have ever felt, piles of paper with all sorts of beautiful scribbles and drawings upon them, and the most amazing fishing raft you have ever seen in your lives.  Most importantly, however, was another shining crystal that was very similar to the one enshrined within your tribe as well as a device that point in their direction.  The next several months, the clan chief and shaman dedicated their attention to the newfound crystal, the locator, and the scribbles while the most important clansmen explored the vessel, learning how it and everything aboard it worked.

A day finally came where the chief called forth his most elite clansmen to deliver news that could change everything…

Character Creation Outline

Pathfinder (anything in the SRD aside from psionics and 3rd party stuff)
Races: Kobold  (+2 (any one stat) -2 str, -2 con) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free
Starting Level: 4
Hit Points: Max first die, ¾ (round up) for the following 3 levels.
Starting Wealth: 6,000gp
20 Point Buy
2 Traits from different categories

Name:
Class:
Alignment:
Character Concept:  This adventure needs CHARACTERS. Not just a combination of statistics and abilities, but characters who will come to life during the story we are about to tell. With that in mind, think about the character you want to build. Remember, we are going to be pirates! Likewise, 2/3rds of this adventure will probably take place at sea. Think about the character class you are playing and how they will interact with this environment. Your character concept should be the first thing you write down, "I am a (best adjective to describe your character) kobold who (your character’s goal.) For example: “I am a brave hobbit who wants to destroy the Ring but really hates leaving home.”
Appearance:
Personality:
Brief Bio:

Note: Skills
Profession: Sailor will be very useful in this campaign. Social skills (as well as somebody who can speak common) will also be very helpful, at the start of the campaign as will the climb and swim skills. We will be allowing professions and crafting during this campaign, so don’t ignore those skills as well. Finally, knowledge skills will also play a large part in unraveling the story as we go.

Metro Mech

I just got word of something... Sorry guys I am going to have to drop out.
Currently looking for a RP? Why not give my Thread a little look see, see if you can't find something you like?
A/A <- check here if I haven't replied in some time
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
Behold my O/O

ragarth

Reading the outline, we might end up with kobolds that have *bonuses* to strength! Scary

CarnivalOfTheGoat

The pirate tribal background sounds awesome!

The only thing I'm a tiny bit hesitant about is:
Quote from: Foxfyr on April 14, 2016, 10:58:06 AMRaces: Kobold  (Choose an ability modifier template from any of the core races instead of the standard kobold.)

Why? Because for me, the whole "underestimated weaklings who gang up, level up, and become tiny terrors" is a big part of koboldry. And at level 4, they are already becoming pretty tough! This is particularly the case if you allow the alternate racial traits for PC kobolds as "exceptional" members of the tribe.

I'll understand if I'm voted down on this, or if you have ulterior reasons for wanting differently-templated PCs, and it won't make me reluctant to play (I'll just ask to allow my character to have the standard kobold racial ability modifiers), but I'd ask you to consider it. PF kobold PCs aren't "weak" (okay, they do take a strength hit but they have plenty of other useful benefits to make up for it...Paired swarm fighters are terrifying)...PF kobold PCs are entirely able to hold their own in a party.

Actually, if I was going to 'tweak' a party of kobolds for survivability. I'd probably just make the 'shoulder to shoulder' ability a standard...It rarely gets chosen by single kobolds in parties of tallthings for obvious reasons. :)

EDIT: As Ragarth notes, Kobolds with Strength bonuses are a bit scary. :) While "normal" kobolds aren't going to start out with an 18 strength, your typical fighter can't start out at level one with a 1d4(+1d6(energy)) bite attack. ;)

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Foxfyr

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on April 14, 2016, 12:23:57 PM
Why? Because for me, the whole "underestimated weaklings who gang up, level up, and become tiny terrors" is a big part of koboldry. And at level 4, they are already becoming pretty tough! This is particularly the case if you allow the alternate racial traits for PC kobolds as "exceptional" members of the tribe.

I'll understand if I'm voted down on this, or if you have ulterior reasons for wanting differently-templated PCs, and it won't make me reluctant to play (I'll just ask to allow my character to have the standard kobold racial ability modifiers), but I'd ask you to consider it. PF kobold PCs aren't "weak" (okay, they do take a strength hit but they have plenty of other useful benefits to make up for it...Paired swarm fighters are terrifying)...PF kobold PCs are entirely able to hold their own in a party.

Actually, if I was going to 'tweak' a party of kobolds for survivability. I'd probably just make the 'shoulder to shoulder' ability a standard...It rarely gets chosen by single kobolds in parties of tallthings for obvious reasons. :)

EDIT: As Ragarth notes, Kobolds with Strength bonuses are a bit scary. :) While "normal" kobolds aren't going to start out with an 18 strength, your typical fighter can't start out at level one with a 1d4(+1d6(energy)) bite attack. ;)

True enough, I suppose I was just looking at the -4 str and -2 con as concerning since I don't know how swarmy you can get in a party of 4.  That and I noticed a comment above suggesting the greater weakness be brought up to the standard template.  Still, I see your point, particularly about the strength thing.

How about we amend it to be (+2 dex -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free?  That should tilt the 5RP to something a bit more in the ballpark of the other races.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Foxfyr on April 14, 2016, 01:23:37 PM
True enough, I suppose I was just looking at the -4 str and -2 con as concerning since I don't know how swarmy you can get in a party of 4.  That and I noticed a comment above suggesting the greater weakness be brought up to the standard template.  Still, I see your point, particularly about the strength thing.

How about we amend it to be (+2 dex -2 str, -2 con,) and everybody gets the shoulder-to-shoulder trait for free?  That should tilt the 5RP to something a bit more in the ballpark of the other races.

If it works for everybody else, that sounds awesome to me. I don't want to be the one "dragging folks down" if they're gleefully considering the possibility of playing a dwarf-statted kobold or something. ;D

Also, was browsing through possible character classes that I haven't tried yet with a kobold and ohmygod the Mouser Swashbuckler Archetype! Ye-e-es...That's a definite possibility. Making a virtue out of always being underfoot...

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

ragarth

I'm game to try that system, just keep in mind that spellcasters will take a hit since we won't be able to pull that +2 to int/cha/Wis.

I'd be okay with -4str -2con +2dex and a floating +2 to apply to any stat except Dex (to avoid a +4). This would give us a little more mechanical flexibility. I'm on my cell so I can't check, but this is probably worth 4 RP.