News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Windows Vista

Started by King_Furby, May 29, 2007, 07:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Furby

Anyone here got Windows Vista?

Dispite my hate toward the OS i was wondering if anyone could take some screenshots of the interface and some of it's icons. Like i want to see the difference between the look of windows XP and Vista. Mostly i want to see how the icons look.

Why do i hate vista? well cause i can't get Halo 2 PC because of it, it's a vista only program

PurpleBlasphemy

I would like to pose a question in this topic too.

Does anybody like Vista? I mean, of course there are people using Vista, but are any of you serious computer users who have found Vista not distasteful? Everyone I ask who knows the faintest about computers sees the operating system itself as, essentially, malware. And yet I have not seen any converts to OS X or Ubuntu, except by those who just used Windows XP because it had all the good games and have sworn that it's the last Windows system they buy unless Vista happens to be just a downswing, like ME.

schnookums

Hmm...well, my experience with Vista was as a beta tester (avoiding the joke that everyone who uses microsoft stuff are beta testers) and...well, once I finally figured out how to set it up how I liked it I didn't have any real problems with it. I only reloaded XP 'cause Vista wouldn't run my Japanese pr0n games. As an aside, I couldn't stand Ubuntu, so take what you will from that.

Vekseid

I wouldn't go so far as calling Vista the ME of the NT line.  Many people are rather 'meh' over it and, well, so am I.

There is the matter of its rather insane system requirements.  That works out to a lot of computer power that could be doing useful things, like playing my japanese pron games...

As for Halo 2 being Vista only...

It can to run on XP

Far eyes

Installing Vista is like using led shoes, you can do it but there is really no point to is.

I would like to point out what Bill Gates can do with a Donkey cock but I believe that falls under forum rules  :o
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

TheAlchemist

I haven't used Vista properly yet, but we did install it on one of the stations here at work, just to see how our product fares on it and how bad it will be if/when we need to make the port from XP.

It fared badly, it looks pretty darn bad, and I hope we never have to do it. Just seeing the PC use a steady 500M of virtual memory on idle mode after a fresh install and with nothing running made my skin crawl.

King_Furby

I have not heard one good thing about windows vista.

TheWolf

Windows Vista...

Having just purchased a new computer and being forced to be on Vista because of it (at least until I decide to do something myself) I have to say that I am not impressed at all...

Computer is a 2.4 GHz AMD 64, originally with 2Gb of memory...

It ran like syrup in winter, it was so slow as to be a pain in the butt, at start time all I had available to me was a little over 0.5Gb of memory as the OS took so much...  I am a serious user, and work with computers all day as a WebDev, and Vista sucks big time from being a resource hog...  And this is just Vista Home Basic, I hear the Business and Pro versions are even more hungry for memory...

I upgraded to 4Gb memory, and it runs a little better, leaving me with somewhere in the region of 2.5Gb of usable memory...

It's reasonably pretty to look at, and has a few fun things...  But if you're a serious user, these don't make up for the fact it's not a good OS...  No, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the new Win ME, but it's close...

I work with XP Pro all day for work and find it to be a much better, more stable, and less resource hungry OS...  As soon as I can, I'm changing out OS...

TheWolf

List Of Current Threads
List Of Ons & Offs

Wondering if I'd be interested?  PM me!

ZK

In honesty, when it comes to OS's. You need to wait at least a year to two years for them to release their service pack before purchasing. Never, when it comes to such sensitive programing do you purchase it outright.

Just my opinion.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

TheWolf

Quote from: Z.K. on May 31, 2007, 11:11:57 AM
In honesty, when it comes to OS's. You need to wait at least a year to two years for them to release their service pack before purchasing. Never, when it comes to such sensitive programing do you purchase it outright.

Just my opinion.

And a valid one at that, I would normally not have upgraded, but my computer died and I needed one real quick, and all I could find was Vista...

I would have waited until it had been 'tested' fully by users, but didn't have much of a choice...

In short, I'd stay away from Vista for a while until they have the bugs (and resource issues) worked out...  WinXP Pro is a much better choice in my opinion...

List Of Current Threads
List Of Ons & Offs

King_Furby

I just say vista is stupid, you need good specs to even run it.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 and i can't even run vista. I don't want it but still. I know my computer is not the best thing on the block but it's good for what i use it for. I just wonder why they made vista need such high specs? well money of course and to try and screw everyone over.

TheWolf

Quote from: King_Furby on May 31, 2007, 04:45:26 PM
well money of course and to try and screw everyone over.
Now, now, MicroShaft (with their best selling product WinBlows) would never do anything like that...

*ahem...*

List Of Current Threads
List Of Ons & Offs

King_Furby

Sad thing is they don't care at all. they will shaft humanity till the giant lobsters come from the sea to rule us.

ZK

Well, then again, tell me what company still exists that isn't hungry for money that isn't corrupt? Major conglomerates are, as usual. From Microsoft, Sony and GameStop Inc to name a few.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

King_Furby

well yea. It just gets me cause i alot of new software is built just to run on Vista..cough Halo 2 PC.

Vekseid

Quote from: King_Furby on June 02, 2007, 01:45:24 PM
well yea. It just gets me cause i alot of new software is built just to run on Vista..cough Halo 2 PC.

...did you miss my post?

And yeah, several companies have it as a matter of policy not to use pre-SP1 Microsoft software.

Lovelynice

Quote from: PurpleBlasphemy on May 30, 2007, 11:31:07 PM
And yet I have not seen any converts to OS X or Ubuntu, ...

I'm an Ubuntu Linux user. Used to only use Windows, but never again. Ubuntu is way more reliable and incredibly secure. It's easy to personalise as well
Bisexual
Submissive (very rare switch)

Ons & Offs

Lovelynice's Stories

King_Furby

Quote from: Vekseid on June 03, 2007, 03:49:02 AM
...did you miss my post?

And yeah, several companies have it as a matter of policy not to use pre-SP1 Microsoft software.

no i did not miss it, but i view what they are doing as an illegal act. I don't reconise them as they are trying to scam people are by reading their website to me it's sounds like they do not have rights to release that. H2 PC was built to be vista only, so falling leaf is going against that. I don't think their software will work, they are dishonest people. They are running this scam so people will be under the false impression and buy h2 from them

Lilac

Quote from: King_Furby on June 03, 2007, 04:55:19 PM
no i did not miss it, but i view what they are doing as an illegal act. I don't reconise them as they are trying to scam people are by reading their website to me it's sounds like they do not have rights to release that. H2 PC was built to be vista only, so falling leaf is going against that. I don't think their software will work, they are dishonest people. They are running this scam so people will be under the false impression and buy h2 from them

It's built on DirectX 10, which is what is "Vista only".

To explain, when a large application loads, it also calls a number of general libraries (called .dlls in Windows, but there are others like old-time .obj files in DOS and of course the various standard libraries *nix uses), that provide a set of standard functions so that multiple applications can use them.  DirectX and OpenGL are two such libraries specializing in supplying common graphics functions.

Reverse engineering is specifically legal - what do you think the WINE project is?.  So, if you wanted to, you could analyze the DirectX 10 files libraries, which are a standard, free API with publicly available documentation, construct any new .dlls yourself and update old ones where needed.  This is actually very common - most of the instability in Windows (prior to 2K at least) - a lot of companies would create their own 'fixes' to problems in windows dlls, or add their own functions, or whatnot.

Thus the "Alky compatibility library" on the site Vek linked to - you can download the preview builds now, even.

King_Furby

Well it's vista only for several reasons , something to do with windows live as well. but there are other factors.

It's just reading the site of falling leaf, makes them seem very suspecious..i can't and won't trust them.

ZK

From what I read [and on the box of the Halo 2 PC game] you also need an X-Box Live Gold Account to play online. Meaning? Yes, now for all Windows Vista only games made by Microsoft, apparently you have to PAY to play them on the PC!

King_Furby

Quote from: Z.K. on June 03, 2007, 10:30:46 PM
From what I read [and on the box of the Halo 2 PC game] you also need an X-Box Live Gold Account to play online. Meaning? Yes, now for all Windows Vista only games made by Microsoft, apparently you have to PAY to play them on the PC!

You need Windows Live, not xbox live though i guess the two are almost the exact same thing. But there is going to be a free silver account for h2pc though you only get some features like match making with a gold account. There is alot of assorted info, some places are saying different things.

what happened to the good days of free full acess live PC gaming. Microsoft is runing PC gaming.

NightBird

There are a lot of things worth blaming Microsoft for, but I kind of think the success of EverQuest and a number of its successors had a lot to do with the prevalence of charging fees for interactive PC gaming.

King_Furby

some online games are pretty expensive in my mind.

Like i loved planetside but could not affort over $20 bucks per mouth for it.

one MMO that was actually good yet cheap was Ragnaroc online (however ya spell it). It was like $12 a mouth. i played it for a while and enjoyed it.

Vekseid

Quote from: NightBird on June 03, 2007, 11:24:18 PM
There are a lot of things worth blaming Microsoft for, but I kind of think the success of EverQuest and a number of its successors had a lot to do with the prevalence of charging fees for interactive PC gaming.

Or Ultima Online before them?

Actually I was more surprised that battle.net was free.

As far as Microsoft and/or EA ruining gaming...  I just don't spend money on their entertainment products, period.  There's so much to try and not enough time to try it all, cutting out a couple of publishers is no big deal.