Game IRC Channel

Started by Myrleena, May 17, 2009, 12:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrleena

I just thought it might be worth putting up a Game IRC channel for people.  I know that when game system discussions start, a lot of people get uncomfortable, offended, or just drowned out.  I have occasionally started them, and I think it would be worth having somewhere for people to go, especially if they can ask for advice and such there.  My two cents, I suppose.

Trieste

You are able to start channels on IRC.

Generally, my only objection to gamer-talk - which is actually my objection to any heated, involved, and/or extremely layered conversation - is that in the main channel (#Elliquiy) it can really discourage newbies and others from asking questions, or interacting themselves. They don't want to interrupt, so they stay quiet ... which is not what #Elliquiy is for.

Myrleena

I did know I could start my own channels, as I do so for a game that I run.

And that was why I was suggesting it.  But I don't think that it's a huge deal, but that it might be useful, and keep the gamers from irritating people.

Autumn Sativus

Here - for now. If this goes over well, I'll keep the channel up. If not so much (or if any of the Staff would like it removed) I have no problems taking it down.

For system game discussion - #ElliSystems

;)
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Haibane

A little OT but this thought came to me just now in #Ellounge. I went in and found an ordinary conversation going on and was surprised. Up until about 6 weeks ago when I had a hiatus from E, the Lounge was used mainly for adult RPs.

While I was away it seems there was a ruling fom a Goddess that the Lounge could be used for any discussion.

Which is fine... but you can't RP while there are chats going on. It just doesn't work.

Yep - I know what you are going to say "create your own private room." But I used to really enjoy the Lounge as it was a few weeks back when it seemed to be used (and was exclusively used when I was there) for adult RPs... the unstructured open format where anyone could join in was nice.

My request therefore is can we please have an Elliquiy members only, adult RP only room where OOC chat isn't allowed?

Thanks.

Xillen

Lounge was always like that. It was just on and off tending towards RP or not.

I'm not sure adding yet another channel is going to do much good. We could always tone the lounge down on discussion support?

Trieste

#Ellounge goes back and forth as to whether it's used for RP or conversation. Often there is RP interspersed with conversation, and those who can't bear to share one with the other have been taking it to private channels and chats.

I'm not sure adding yet another channel for the ops to watch is a good idea either.

Haibane

Mmm, thing is you can't RP in there at the moment - or at least I can't - because people are chatting in there.

Is adding a new #E room technically difficult or some sort of drain on resources?

How much op watching is needed in an adult RP only room? Not much I would have thought. Though I am somewhat ignorant of teh technical aspects. Its very similar to a forum game thread in terms of content maybe? And logs are kept...

Xillen

It's easy to create a new channel, and it doesn't cost any resources.

It's not as easy to keep it running in a comfortable way. People already ask what the two channels are for to which they are invited. A third one wouldn't make it all that more clear. Plus, it needs moderation, especially if you want to force people to stay in character.

You can also RP in #charm, if you want to. There's a lot less discussion going on over there. And no, you don't have to use the charm bot to RP in there.

If there was a real demand for it, I could set up something brief, like a bot that allows you to save character appearances and stuff :)

Trieste

Quote from: Haibane on June 15, 2009, 06:07:30 PM
Mmm, thing is you can't RP in there at the moment - or at least I can't - because people are chatting in there.

You can either ignore it, politely ask people to shush so you can concentrate, or make a private room that will suit your individual needs. If you need help creating one, you can ask any of the ops for help.

Quote from: Haibane on June 15, 2009, 06:07:30 PM
Is adding a new #E room technically difficult or some sort of drain on resources?

How much op watching is needed in an adult RP only room? Not much I would have thought. Though I am somewhat ignorant of teh technical aspects. Its very similar to a forum game thread in terms of content maybe? And logs are kept...

The same amount of watching required on an adult RP forum: variable depending on activity. You may not be aware of it, but the ops already have four channels to watch.

Haibane

Thanks to you both the for the help so far.

When I RP I like to focus and it's not really practical to ignore other people chatting in the Lounge. Things get cybery too, which can be a whole lot of fun but if there is chatter going on, it kills that aspect completely.

A private room is not what I am after, I already have one in fact. I'd like a public place for E members to roleplay where we won't be disturbed by people talking. The unstructured aspect of the Lounge where people can come in and join if they wish was really fun. Up until a few weeks ago the Lounge seemed to be set up for this but in a conversation I had last night I was told that the Lounge was also for discussions and always had been (though in several months I had never seen one in there but had seen lots of RPs).

I was also told that you can't ask people to be quiet, no-one can tell anyone else what to do in the Lounge. Apparently this was announced by you Trieste, so I was told.

Thing was, last night there was quite a conversation going in the Lounge but the public chat was dead as a dodo. If newcomers had entered the public room (I saw one do so then leave after a few minutes of silence) they would not get a very good impression of Elliquiy, since it seemed dead.

One person said they liked to discuss their games in a place where the public could not see them, but my thought was that a private room is where you could go for that. Or PMs.

Perhaps the Lounge should become RP-only and a new channel #Ellichat could be set up for E members to discuss stuff where there are no age restrictions on language.

Trieste

Quote from: Haibane on June 16, 2009, 09:07:37 AM
I was also told that you can't ask people to be quiet, no-one can tell anyone else what to do in the Lounge. Apparently this was announced by you Trieste, so I was told.

Yep, I told people they couldn't dictate to other users how to make use of #Ellounge because you had people demanding RPers 'get a room' and you had RPers telling talkers to 'shut up' and none of it was civil. You may ask politely but you may not order or demand.

Autumn Sativus

Seriously... in my opinion... the last thing we need is another room. Having 4 is quite a number already, and then some of us also moderate in #Charm.

There really isn't much else we need here, public room, R rated room, rants room, systems room. Even that seems a lot, and many people don't use the rooms much. RP and discussion can co-habituate, and if some people can't handle that, they might not want to use the public rooms for RP in general. It's easy to create your own space and invite people in as wished.

If the discussion (if being disruptive) is appropriate for #Elliquiy, then it's fine to nudge people over there to de-clutter the RP. Otherwise, really that's what the room is for. 18+ discussion and role play. It -is- the Elliquiy living room. If you want to go ahead and do naughty things in the living room, you're going to have to expect that people aren't going to just stare blankly, but will continue with their workings. Sure you can ask them to be quiet, on either end of the scale, but if they choose to continue, that's really all that can be done.
Us against the world

Lithos

Making your own channels works very well, and they do not have need to be private. You can set chanserv to do the basic things like setting ops and the like, and have people you hang around with know the channel and you get sturdy userbase soon enough.

I can make a small guide about setting up channel and good practices when doing it once I have a bit of time to write it down. It is not difficult stuff, and it might be nice way to boost more game channels appearing too.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Haibane

Oh, well, thanks for considering it.

Xillen

Quote from: Xillen on June 15, 2009, 06:14:32 PMIf there was a real demand for it, I could set up something brief, like a bot that allows you to save character appearances and stuff :)

Just wondering if anyone's actually interested in something like that.

Autumn Sativus

Not for me Xillen, thanks anyway. I imagine it would go widely unused, but there may be one or two people who have all kinds of characters/names that they change to, who might like it.
Us against the world

Lithos

Creative use of memoserv should take care of most needs anyway. And sorcery has gameserv for dice rolls built in too, like /GameServ roll #2d6+5
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Xillen

Neither really allows storage of character concepts.

And the GameServ dieroller is limited, and if you're not a channel operator, cannot send it to someone else, so you can't prove what you rolled.