Ye Olde Fantasy RPG (with a twist)

Started by OldSchoolGamer, June 15, 2010, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

The Basics: This is an adventure set in a custom world roughly analogous to Greyhawk.  The world it takes place in is both lovely and lethal.  It can captivate with ineffable beauty, and kill with cold dispatch.  Romance, treasures, monsters, glory and doom await!  Or, so you'd like to think.  There is no set mission or objective.  You decide what you want to do and where you want to go.  Or at least what you want to try and do and where you would like to go.  Wanting is one thing, getting is something else.

Sounds like a typical fantasy RPG, doesn't it?  Well, there's a twist: I'm designing this world for evil  >:) characters to adventure in.  You could call it an anti-adventure.  So if you want to play an ogre or orc that preys on human women, or the leader of a band of cut-throats, or some other wicked monster, now is your chance.  A world is yours to plunder!  But beware...Good will fight back!

As far as monster types, I'm fairly open.  My only caveat is that your monster/baddie be anthropomorphic, and not be too overpowered.  It doesn't have to be like a first-level D&D character, but no higher-level demons that can throw ten-dice fireballs out of their fingertips, or illithids that can fry the brains of a whole legion of soldiers, or vampires, or drow elves.  You can have a couple ranks in Badass if you want, but no more than three or so.  We want to have room for your creature to grow, after all...

Examples of baddies eligible for this game include (but are certainly not limited to):

A journeyman orc warrior: a skilled though not epic fighter, seeking to rise in power by accreting battle experience, treasure and slaves.

A cutthroat pirate who finds himself stranded, and decides to continue going rogue, preying on villagers and caravans.

An ogre who comes out of the woods when he finds a new family of humans has carved out a homestead too near his abode.

An incubus who is loosed into the material plane...weak and in need of sustenance to grow stronger and more powerful.

A gargoyle whose underground abode has been disturbed by miners, and who decides to exact revenge.

This being Elliquiy, of course there's a sexual aspect to this...in all likelihood, one of your creature's goals is going to be to impregnate some of the local womenfolk...and their sisters and mothers as well.  Maybe aunts and grandmothers, too, if you're really spoiling for trouble and randy.  You've got to have some fun on your way to being an Evil Overlord, after all.  Most of the females will be played by Yours Truly, though if you want to apply to play a female, you're welcome to do so.

I'm going to use a minimalist, behind-the-counter system for this game.  What will happen when there is a contested action is that I'll calculate the odds of success and throw dice.  As your character progresses, he or she will get "buffs" that give bonuses to a chance to succeed.  For an example, say your character wants to shoot an arrow into a guard.  The range is 75', the guard is wearing leather armor, so the base chance of success is 60%.  However, your character has some history with the bow, so he gets a 10% bonus.  There are no tables or anything to consult...I just wing it on a case-by-case basis.  Makes things simpler.

Interested?  Just reply in this thread.

Ironwolf85

if this takes off sure.
I recently played a minotaur that went good, and eventually became a divinity, replacing Heronius.
maybe his oppisate number exists in this one.
simmilar backstory, diffrent ending.
he opposed human sacrifice among his tribe, falling in love with his human attendent. when their tryst was discovered he was exiled, and she dissapeared. as he made his way towards civilization, he was captured by orcs and used as slave labor.
whereas the good version was rescued by adventurers, joined them, and saved the world.
this version was never rescued, he became bitter, resentful, and eventually broke loose using magic and killing a good numer of orcs.
Zaratim's prayers were not answered by any deity, good or evil. as such he's bitter and resentful towards the world, he's a broken soul who could've become a divine champion.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on June 15, 2010, 10:32:41 PM
if this takes off sure.
I recently played a minotaur that went good, and eventually became a divinity, replacing Heronius.
maybe his oppisate number exists in this one.
simmilar backstory, diffrent ending.
he opposed human sacrifice among his tribe, falling in love with his human attendent. when their tryst was discovered he was exiled, and she dissapeared. as he made his way towards civilization, he was captured by orcs and used as slave labor.
whereas the good version was rescued by adventurers, joined them, and saved the world.
this version was never rescued, he became bitter, resentful, and eventually broke loose using magic and killing a good numer of orcs.
Zaratim's prayers were not answered by any deity, good or evil. as such he's bitter and resentful towards the world, he's a broken soul who could've become a divine champion.

Has potential...we can flesh him out a bit if you like, maybe settle on some purposes and objectives he has so I can tailor some adventures for him.

Ironwolf85

hmmm... let's start out with survival first.
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

TheGerbilyOne

Definitely Something I am interested in. I think i would go for a Male Drow Assasin. Having escaped to the world above just because it puts women in their proper place.

He would be Patriarchal and a Cold Blooded Killer, but opposed to shedding blood unnecessarily.

Krayz

I'll keep my eyes on this; never boring to play an evil wizard of some kind. I finally finished Dragonlance Chronicles, so I've got Raistlin on the brain, lol.

Darkpoet

I'm interested. Has been a while since I've played in a D&D-esque game so I don't have any characters ready yet, but I'll get the dust off my old manuals and see if something jumps out at me.

Cythieus

I might be interested in tossing my hat in this one, it depends on how its going to turn out though. Never played a monster game though I would likely end up on the more human looking side of the monsters still.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on June 15, 2010, 11:36:55 PM
hmmm... let's start out with survival first.

Fair enough...we'll flesh out the character over the next day or so.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: TheGerbilyOne on June 16, 2010, 12:03:00 AM
Definitely Something I am interested in. I think i would go for a Male Drow Assasin. Having escaped to the world above just because it puts women in their proper place.

He would be Patriarchal and a Cold Blooded Killer, but opposed to shedding blood unnecessarily.

Hmm...originally I wasn't going to allow Drow, just because they're powerful and cliche...but thinking about it, I guess a first or second-level Drow isn't inordinately powerful compared to some of the other beasties I mentioned, so...

Go ahead and write him up and we'll work it out.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Krayz on June 16, 2010, 12:25:57 AM
I'll keep my eyes on this; never boring to play an evil wizard of some kind. I finally finished Dragonlance Chronicles, so I've got Raistlin on the brain, lol.

Evil wizards are always fun.  He'd probably start off at lower levels...but plenty of room for growth...

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Darkpoet on June 16, 2010, 12:37:28 AM
I'm interested. Has been a while since I've played in a D&D-esque game so I don't have any characters ready yet, but I'll get the dust off my old manuals and see if something jumps out at me.

Sure.  I'm pretty flexible.  Pretty much any of the humanoid races are fair game.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Azrael, Archangel of Death on June 16, 2010, 12:50:52 AM
I might be interested in tossing my hat in this one, it depends on how its going to turn out though. Never played a monster game though I would likely end up on the more human looking side of the monsters still.

Cool.  You've got orcs, ogres, trolls...those are pretty human-like.  Gnolls and goblins and lizard-men are a bit further away, but still anthropomorphic.

Tackyhillbilly

I'm thinking the stereotypical dumb Ogre.

Kate

i really have an obsession with changing people in perverted ways (bodily) as well as hermaphrodite characters.

could i be a demoness or some twisted succubus or something with this obession ?

TheGerbilyOne

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on June 16, 2010, 01:05:19 AM
Hmm...originally I wasn't going to allow Drow, just because they're powerful and cliche...but thinking about it, I guess a first or second-level Drow isn't inordinately powerful compared to some of the other beasties I mentioned, so...

Go ahead and write him up and we'll work it out.

If you don't wish to have drow I am perfectly okay with it. I just see a sort of "Male Supremacist" coming out of Drow culture to be interesting. He would of course take great pride in showing Female Warriors that they have no place on the battlefield.

vonnetaire

This sounds fun as hell, I gotsta think of something I'd want to play. Also, I've never once done any kind of D&D game, so I may need some brush up on some of the basics? What kind of demons are there in this system? Could I even kind of just make something up that sounds cool?
If we do not exert the right of eating our neighbor, it is because we have other means of making good cheer.- Candide, Voltaire

The first soap was made from the ashes of heroes, like the first monkey shot into space. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing.- Fight Club, Palahniuk

EmptyEternity

Oh jubilations! I've been looking for an evil campaign for quite some time now.

A human blackguard. Selfish, ambitious, cruel, vengeful. I've been looking for an excuse to play one for a while now.

Muse

Oooh, oooh, ooh!  Do you have room for another? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Primarch

I could be very up for playing a foul Orc Barbarian or some such.....

Elven Sex Goddess

I'm interested it,  though in offering to play a victim(s)  for the various  baddies being assembled.    A fair maiden, or a bar wench to a farm girl.   

That can be captured, enslaved and all the good things of being used passed around and impregnated.   

Using commoner,  expert or  even aristocrat to create the victim. 

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on June 16, 2010, 04:07:34 AM
I'm thinking the stereotypical dumb Ogre.

That would definitely be a good fit...he gets tired of humans encroaching on his land...so he has his own rather twisted and perverse version of "Get off my lawn!"

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: vonnetaire on June 16, 2010, 07:43:24 AM
This sounds fun as hell, I gotsta think of something I'd want to play. Also, I've never once done any kind of D&D game, so I may need some brush up on some of the basics? What kind of demons are there in this system? Could I even kind of just make something up that sounds cool?

I'm using D&D as a loose template for this, so don't feel like whatever beastie you'd like to play has to conform to the classical D&D bestiary.  If you wanted to play a minor demon, that would be fine.  We just have to come up with a rationale for him being on the material plane.  Summoning by an amateur magess, perhaps...

Ironwolf85

Zariam Steelhorn, for background and goals... he worked his way up to forgemaster while enslaved. now that he's loose upon the world his first reaction will be to execise those freedoms and indulge himself on the first town he comes across.
for overall goals, he's not going to be sacking churches or anything, Zariam is not sure what he wants, and it's that aimlessness that causes him to wander like he does and get into trouble, and be easy to minupliate.
in his heart there's just a blankness where divine love should have been.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Elven Sex Goddess on June 16, 2010, 10:47:34 AM
I'm interested it,  though in offering to play a victim(s)  for the various  baddies being assembled.    A fair maiden, or a bar wench to a farm girl.   

That can be captured, enslaved and all the good things of being used passed around and impregnated.   

Using commoner,  expert or  even aristocrat to create the victim.

All of those would work quite well.  Let's see what monsters arise, and we can definitely get your character created and up into the action.