I'm guessing you don't get to go swedish too often in your everyday life. :P
O/O

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: HarleyQuinn on August 23, 2013, 08:30:01 PM
Now, I want to change it so no one is sad! :(

dont worry, I have a goal to make her happy ^^

HarleyQuinn

Julles

Such a sad story... I like your character, though!

HarleyQuinn

Thanks. I didn't mean to make everyone sad!

RedEve

Julles, HarleyQuinn and Irishwolf, your characters are approved.
Just one small remark about yours Julles: if she was 16 at the end of the war that would make her 27 at the time of our game, not 25. ;)

Rubyslippers, I like what you have so far for yours but need to see the background before I can approve her.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

RedEve

OOC thread created:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=183209.0

Characther thread created:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=183210.0

Could everyone whose character has been approved move their CS to the appropriate thread? Thanks!

arkhos

Quote from: Chronoclasm on August 24, 2013, 02:05:38 AM

LOL That was pretty hilarious!!   Think I will have to go take a look at the actual series now.

And seeing that teaser does bring up a good point... we don't have a preacher or undertaker yet, do we?

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

RubySlippers

Quote from: RedEve on August 24, 2013, 03:17:46 AM
Julles, HarleyQuinn and Irishwolf, your characters are approved.
Just one small remark about yours Julles: if she was 16 at the end of the war that would make her 27 at the time of our game, not 25. ;)

Rubyslippers, I like what you have so far for yours but need to see the background before I can approve her.

I know likely finish today. I have to do my Green Lantern for the DC game to. So will work on this.

PhantomPistoleer

Name:  Oscar Hemwitt Doubleday
Appearance:
Role: Sherriff
Background:  Oscar Hemwitt Doubleday, (b. January 3, 1836) was born in Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania, to a prominent Protestant family of Welsh descent.  He was a career United States Army officer and Union brigadier general in the American Civil War, same as his father, who died of cholera during the Mexican War.

Oscar attended Norristown Academy throughout his adolescence, and Governer David R. Porter elected him as a candidate for West Point Academy, graduating eigth in his class in 1856.  He, along with his best friend and future nemesis, Jimmy Major, became a Second Lieutenants for the United States Cavalry, and battled the Comanche in the Texas frontier in 1958.  He would see several of his classmates in skirmishes throughout the next disastrous decade.

He served with distinction at the Battle of Fort Sumner, and led a brigade into action in the opening engagement of the Battle of Gettysburg.  There, he was wounded and forced to spend the next two years in bed at his family's estate, though he spent the winters of his recuperation recruiting soldiers in Philadelphia.  He survived typhoid fever and dysentery, and rejoined his corps shortly before the Battle of Sayler's Creek.  His genial disposition, his serene nature and his personal courage endeared him to his troops.

Doubleday became a federal agent after the Civil War, traveling abroad to bring Confederate criminals to American justice.  His misadventures brought him to England, France, Norway and Egypt.  His skill set qualified him well for law enforcement abroad, though he was a little fed up of the American government's constantly freezing his funds in the pursuit of wanted men.

Tired of traveling and federal bureaucracy, he settled down in a Colorado boomtown as its rugged sheriff.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

RedEve

Your CS looks fine Pistoleer, but you have me wondering about one thing: your character would have been 29 at the end of the civil war, would that not have been a bit young to have risen to the rank of brigadier general? It would appear that nowadays an officer would need 20-25 years of service to attain that rank.
I might be wrong of course and it might just be that things were different back then?

arkhos

Quote from: RedEve on August 25, 2013, 03:36:15 AM
Your CS looks fine Pistoleer, but you have me wondering about one thing: your character would have been 29 at the end of the civil war, would that not have been a bit young to have risen to the rank of brigadier general? It would appear that nowadays an officer would need 20-25 years of service to attain that rank.
I might be wrong of course and it might just be that things were different back then?

During the civil war, -both- sides were pretty desperate for competent officers. George Custer was actually promoted to General at the age of 23. :)

While that wasn't normal (and funny enough, Custer graduated LAST in his class from Westpoint, harhar!), there were other examples of 'young generals' because at the time, it was simple necessity that caused it to happen.

Galusha Pennypacker is the youngest soldier on record, at age 20, to hold the rank of brigadier general, though that's been disputed.

Eight Union soldiers and seven Confederates wore generals' stars before they reached the age of 25.

Nowadays, such desperation isn't necessary, and most generals are in their 50s, as far as I know.

So it's not impossible, no, but it's entirely up to you, as you're the boss. :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

RedEve

Thanks for that Arkhos, that's more or less the information I was hoping for.  :-)

With that, you can consider the character approved, Pistoleer.
I have sent you a PM with some more info. ;)

arkhos

Quote from: RedEve on August 25, 2013, 05:55:48 AM
Thanks for that Arkhos, that's more or less the information I was hoping for.  :-)

No problemo, boss. Late-night random info brought to you by wiki search.

Though I -did- know a few of those things without looking! Honest! :P

-ark

RubySlippers

Quote from: arkhos on August 25, 2013, 04:56:17 AM
During the civil war, -both- sides were pretty desperate for competent officers. George Custer was actually promoted to General at the age of 23. :)

While that wasn't normal (and funny enough, Custer graduated LAST in his class from Westpoint, harhar!), there were other examples of 'young generals' because at the time, it was simple necessity that caused it to happen.

Galusha Pennypacker is the youngest soldier on record, at age 20, to hold the rank of brigadier general, though that's been disputed.

Eight Union soldiers and seven Confederates wore generals' stars before they reached the age of 25.

Nowadays, such desperation isn't necessary, and most generals are in their 50s, as far as I know.

So it's not impossible, no, but it's entirely up to you, as you're the boss. :)

-ark

And promotions were easier say Robert E Lee thought he was a good officer and had a recommendation say from Stonewall Jackson he could simply promote the officer with an order, now such promotions require system approval to fill a need and someone who attended the War College. Its a lot rarer in most nations. For comparison here is another Northern Officer he entered the war due to his education as an officer and rose fast to Major General.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Chamberlain

So such promotions were hardly common but hardly rare.

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: RedEve on August 25, 2013, 03:36:15 AM

I tried to be historically accurate.  Doubleday has numerous similarities to other fellow graduates from the class of 1856, who were of the same age.  His life is basically the foil of Confederate Brigadier General James Major, up to a point, who in his story was his best friend at the academy and also his worst enemy on the battlefield.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sara Nilsson

I hope our new handsome charming sheriff wont be the kind that demands payment from a hardworking girl :)

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on August 25, 2013, 11:56:43 AM
I hope our new handsome charming sheriff wont be the kind that demands payment from a hardworking girl :)

He isn't a crooked sheriff...  but he doesn't tolerate crap from anybody.  :)
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Sara Nilsson

good :)

of course a small discount could be discussed ^^

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on August 25, 2013, 12:37:20 PM
good :)

of course a small discount could be discussed ^^

Doubleday wouldn't want a small discount on account of his position.  But, he wouldn't mind a small discount on account of being a very regular customer.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

RedEve

Name: Elizabeth Doubleday née Carlfeldt
Appearance: see photograph
Role: Sheriff Doubleday’s wife
Background: Elizabeth is the youngest of five children. She was born and raised in Brooklyn, her parents being German immigrants who settled there. Her father worked many odd jobs, though his longest steady employments were as a fishmonger and then later as a dockworker. Her mother added to the family’s meager earnings by doing some work as a seamstress. The Carlfeldt home wasn’t a particularly happy one with her father Helmut being a sometimes abusive drunk. Her two oldest siblings, Martha and Emily, left the home as soon as they could latch onto a prospective husband. Her two brothers, Helmut jr. and Siegfried both used the war as a pretense to leave home, joining the union army. Her father’s oldest son and namesake was killed in 1863, which only sent Helmut senior further into alcoholism. Siegfried was wounded on two occasions and did survive the war, but resettled to Chicago and married there.

Finding her home situation increasingly more unbearable and having little other prospects to flee Brooklyn, she found the answer at her local church, seeing a printed advert asking for women willing to move West and marry one of the many single men out there. After some initial doubt, she overcame her fear of marrying a total stranger, assuming that her current unhappy home life could not possibly be worse than whatever waited for her down West. After exchanging letters with several men in a couple of different states, she eventually agreed to travel to Whitestone Colorado and marry the local Sheriff. Upon her arrival she was shocked to find that the man appeared to have second thoughts after meeting her in the flesh. She refused his offer of funding her trip back to Brooklyn and eventually he did agree to go through with the marriage.

As it was a marriage of the mind rather than the heart for both of them, there was some initial unease, but a year later they have forged a union that is quite practical yet isn’t entirely without passion. Elizabeth enjoys the large amount of freedom her husband allows her on their homestead. She was initially flustered by his passion in the bedroom as well as many of his requests which she thought odd and unusual, but she has grown accustomed to and even learned to enjoy that aspect of their relationship.

Yes, our dear Sheriff has a wife now!

Any of our resident ladies who had their heart set on a roll in the hay with our dear Sheriff need not despair though, as I understand it, Oscar is not meant to be a paragon of fidelity. ;)

arkhos

Quote from: RedEve on August 26, 2013, 12:16:52 PM
Any of our resident ladies who had their heart set on a roll in the hay with our dear Sheriff need not despair though, as I understand it, Oscar is not meant to be a paragon of fidelity. ;)

So that begs the question...

Is -she-?

;)

-ark

RedEve

Quote from: arkhos on August 26, 2013, 12:56:48 PM
So that begs the question...

Is -she-?

;)

-ark

That question opens up a lot of unconsidered possibilities. ;)