Vote.

Started by Bliss, November 02, 2008, 08:22:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliss

Any of you who have been here for any length of time know that I am largely a private person. My home life, my religious leanings, my political goals, these are all things that I tend to keep to myself. I don't petition for causes. But there are times in a person's life when it hurts more than anything to be silent.

Which is why I ask you to watch this video - especially my fellow Americans.

And on Tuesday, get out there and vote. I don't care who for - you ARE making a difference either way. Vote.

Do it.

Vote.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

RubySlippers

I did already I did my duty as a citizen. And for those people that don't like either candidate or think its not important I have two things to say:

1. There are THIRTEEN different choices on the ballot in my state and likely several in most states so find a party and candidate you DO like and vote for them. The only wasted vote is one not used at all.

2. The next president will get to appoint judges and likely to the Supreme Court at least one if not two and that matters. If nothing else that can affect everyone possibly one way or another.

So vote.

Moondazed

Thank you for sharing that video, I hadn't seen it.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Bliss

Pass it on. To people less likely to get out there on Tuesday, in particular!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Sherona

I am voting though I am still undecided about who. I don't really trust Obama...I DON"T want McCain, fo the two I would so prefer to see Obama.., alternate parties with very slim hope of getting elected will be siphoning votes off of Obama and McCain will slide in. >.> I So do not want McCain to slide in... /ends now before I derail.

RubySlippers

Well I wouldn't have voted for either party unless Ron Paul was the Republican candidate I like him very Conservative and Libertarian leaning.

Moondazed

What frustrates me is the people who choose not to vote because they don't find either candidate to be a perfect fit.  I don't think there's ever been a mainstream candidate I thought was a perfect fit, but I do my research and vote for the candidate I think is best.  Sometimes it's a vote against a candidate, sometimes it's a vote for someone I can respect even if we don't completely agree on the issues.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Sherona

I agree Moon. I don't think ANY one would be a perfect fit, and even when its a vote of lesser evils its still atleast excersizing. I doubt that there will ever be two mainstream candidates that will ever be completely Equally horrible for the job, or good for the job, to justify not voting.

RubySlippers

The Candidates don't bother me ,well McCain does he's creepy, and I like Obama but I vote for the best political party I think both of the ones in power are on the wrong track and ignore the basic simplicity of the Consitution. And none really seem to want to control spending or make the hard decisions like seriously reducing Federal programs and making the move away from Big Brother policies.

I'm a Libertarian and a fairly simple conservative one and neither party gained the honor of my support. It may not matter for some local races like Sheriff since that is a profession and I would pick the best person. But many offices are too important to hand to either party anymore and I won't sell myself in supporting them when another choice is there.

The only reason I would have voted for Ron Paul he has very firm Libertarian Conservative views and acts on them in his work in Congress he has my respect none other though earned that right.

And what this EITHER candidate there are in Florida 13 Presidential tickets I'm sure one would be suitable to each voters values.

Chris Brady

Although I'm not American, I'd rather spoil my vote than not vote.  Because if you don't vote up here, they can count it as one for whatever they like (Despite it being illegal to do so.)

I won't however, say who I voted for.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

National Acrobat

Thanks for the video link.

I'll add my voice to the chorus.

Vote. Doesn't matter who for, simply vote.

Virginia has 6 Candidates for President, you should be able to find someone among those six that has enough of your shared values to cast a ballot for.

Valerian

This will be weird coming from a shy person like me, but voting time is when I talk to people.  My neighbors, that is -- several of us (weather permitting) usually walk to the polling place together, and the volunteers there always like to chat.  It's a social thing, something that helps us all feel like we have something in common beside where we happen to live.  Consider that an added incentive for you more outgoing people.  ;)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

MagicalPen

The main problem with voting is that the majority of people think you have to vote for Obama OR McCain. They aren't even aware of all the third parties (who don't get invited to the debates, etc). I'm also not a big fan of voting for the lesser of two Evils. Its a worthless vote in that case, as you aren't voting for your beliefs/ideals that best represent you. Its like deciding between a Red Apple and a Green Apple, when you really want an Orange.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Bliss

it's better than starving, Mag.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

ShrowdedPoet

VOTE, don't complain, don't make excuses. . .Just vote.  Simple.  Vote.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

WyldRanger

Yes, I totally agree. Vote! Even if it's for a write in candidate, at least your voice will be heard. Even if few are listening, there is always one person you agrees with you...you...it's you're vote...no one else's! *end semi-rant*

Apple of Eris

Quote from: MagicalPen on November 03, 2008, 12:58:33 PM
Its like deciding between a Red Apple and a Green Apple, when you really want an Orange.

Hey! Lets stop picking on Apples already!

And while I plan to vote, if you don't want to vote, then don't. Voting is a right you can choose to execrise, just as not voting is also a way to exercise your voice. Perhaps it might be a small mute protest to decide not to vote, but again, it -is- your right to withold your vote if you do not like any of the choices available.

And if deciding not to vote pisses off a bunch of people, so much the better! So to all you lazy americans who won't be getting off your sofas tomorrow to vote: God Bless each and every one of you.

And as George Carlin said, at least when he get's finished masturbating, he'll have a little something to show for it.

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Will

HA!  That was good, Apple, thank you. ;D

Every couple of years it comes to this, and I know what I'm going to go through whether I show up early, late, or somewhere in between.  I really feel like I could just slam my head against the wall and call it even.  I mean, I would get a splitting headache and nothing would change, but the only difference between that and voting is the line.  Still, I drag my cranky ass out to the polls and vote, just so no one can question my right to piss and moan when I'm not happy with the government.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

MagicalPen

Well, if Apple of Eris is one of the options, I know who i'll be 'picking'.... :o

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Moondazed

By all means exercise your right not to vote... but don't bitch about the person who wins if you don't bother to contribute to the process.  I'm sure there are other people you can bitch to and they'll listen, but I'm not one of them.

Jefepato

My absentee ballot is already in.

However, I find the idea that my vote will actually make a difference highly suspect, to say the least.  And that's ignoring the possibility of my ballot being conveniently lost.

I certainly don't see how dropping that envelope into the box made my opinions more valid.

Moondazed

It's simple.  If you contribute to the whole, you are invested.  If you do not expend the effort to participate, you don't get to bitch to me.  It's about being a part of something instead of sitting outside of it and playing armchair quarterback :) 

Jefepato

I don't see the cause-effect relationship there, moondazed.  You're attributing meaning to an "investment" that has none.

There's nothing wrong with being an armchair quarterback if going out on the field won't, can't affect the game.  Voting in Illinois is like spitting into a tsunami.  Sure, I'm invested in it now, but no one will notice and it's sure not going to change direction.

Moondazed

Says you :)  A small number of people can have an impact.  I'm not saying everyone else should ascribe to my system, I simply stated that if one doesn't invest effort, one can't bitch to me.

MagicalPen

I'm with Jef on this one. How does it have an impact if no one even knows? Its not effecting anything. There is no difference between the person who didn't vote and the person who did vote 'against the grain'. In present-day America, voting outside of the two main parties is just as good as not voting at all.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry