Fullmetal Alchemist Reboot - [All Welcome!]

Started by MissFire, April 25, 2016, 01:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissFire

Fullmetal Alchemist: Operation Carbuncle

Alchemy. The scientific practice of manipulating and altering matter by using natural energy. This act is known as "Transmutation" and its sequence is usually described as:

• Comprehension - Understanding the inherent structure and properties of the atomic or molecular makeup of a particular material to be transmuted, including the flow and balance of potential and kinetic energy within.
  • Deconstruction - Using energy to break down the physical structure of the identified material into a more malleable state so as to be easily reshaped into a new form.
  • Reconstruction - Continuing the flow of energy so as to reform the material into a new shape.

The proper application of this craft requires not only a full understanding of chemistry and ancient alchemical theory, but also a sort of natural talent towards recognizing and manipulating the physical objects with energy, which require uncommon levels of intelligence and aptitude. Those remarkable individuals capable of studying and practicing alchemy are known as "Alchemists".

There are many paths by which alchemists can transmute the various substances of the world, with some alchemists being said to transmute by way of the Four Classical Elements (Water, Earth, Fire and Air) and some by way of the Three Essential Principles (salt, sulfur and mercury), but the basic tenet at the very foundation of all alchemy is that of Equivalent Exchange. To put it simply: "In order to obtain or create something, something of equal value must be lost or destroyed."

You have practiced alchemy for years to reach this point. You have studied hard, honed both your mind and your body. Now, finally, you are a State Alchemist. In order to be selected as a State Alchemist, candidates must undergo an extensive examination process involving a written test proving a high level of aptitude in the field, a psychological evaluation to determine whether the candidate is of sound enough mind to serve in such a specialized branch of the military and a practical examination in which the candidate proves to a military board whether or not his or her skills can be used in real world situations. You took your exams and were astounded to have passed the rigorous trial. A high number of these exams have taken place over the last year and rumors say that a large number of State Alchemists have been going missing. This puts a damper on the high you're feeling after receiving your uniform and pocket watch, but you put it out of your mind and get ready to be transferred somewhere for duty. That is, until you are called to Central and led into a meeting room with other recent recruits...

This official document certifies that the nation of Amestris, prefecture of the Generalissimo appoints the State Alchemist below, in the name of Fuhrer King Bradley. The State Alchemist shall follow all orders and policies of the military. These are as follows:

1) Obey the Military - As part of the military system, State Alchemists are subject to the government hierarchy and must obey the orders of their superiors as well as devote themselves entirely to the protection, advancement and well-being of the nation of Amestris as a whole. Their skills are to be wielded as an extension of the government's power as opposed to means toward individual or popular gain.

2) Do Not Create Gold - Though all alchemists in the nation of Amestris are held to this law so as to keep the national economy from falling into chaos, State Alchemists are more heavily leaned upon to uphold this standard, due to their position under government surveillance, and are subject to military charges upon its transgression.

3) Do Not Create Humans - The nationwide prohibition of Human Transmutation, though also enforced in the case of all Amestrian alchemists, is particularly forbidden to State Alchemists due to the fact that their access to advanced research notes and materials makes it more likely that anyone making a realistic attempt at the forbidden craft would be in the government's employ.

A research assessment examination shall be held once every year. In the case that the State Alchemist does not show signs of progress in his research as a result of the examination, he shall be discharged from the services of State Alchemist.

The State Alchemist is entitled to the use of ample research funds, unrestricted access to classified documentation, access to various governmental facilities, and a military rank equal to that of "major".

-- King Bradley

Character Creation

[float=left][img height=400 padding=7]IMAGE URL HERE[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Birthplace:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]

[b]Alchemy:[/b]

[b]Background:[/b]

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]Other:[/b]

What's the plot of this?
I kind of want it to be a surprise, but I also don't want you to be completely in the dark so you at least have some vague idea of what you're getting into. As the ramble above states; you are a new State Alchemist and expect to serve the State at some post. Yet, you're instead called to Central for a meeting with other recruits. Rumors abound about State Alchemists going missing under mysterious circumstances. These two things will be related. Expect conspiracy, mystery, action, and combat.

Do I have to know Fullmetal Alchemist to play?
It would be extremely helpful if you did, but I won't turn down anyone willing to ask for guidence and instruction if they truly want to play.

What's the posting rate?
At minimum, twice a week. If you cannot handle this, please do not apply. If you're already juggling a bunch of games, please do not apply. I do not want people who are already getting burned out on RP.

Do you have any character creation tips?
Yes. As far as fashion and looks goes, FMA is tame. Um, compared to most anime, that is. So stay away from wild hair colors, strange eye colors, and outlandish outfits. Take your character's background into consideration when designing their look. The big one is this; Alchemy. Alchemy is the heart and soul of the series. When creating your character, you must be able to explain how they do what they do, scientifically. Take equivalent exchange into consideration, too. You don't have to adhere 100% to everything and we won't quibble over every scientific principal (it IS anime, after all) but please try to keep it grounded in reality at least a little.

Useful Links
Map of The State
State Alchemist
Alchemy
OC Guidebook: Nations and Races
OC Guidebook: Automail
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

apygoos

I am VERY interested in this. i jsut cant think of any one cahracter/alchemy to use!

Torterrable

All my information is from reading the manga.

Somewhat interested, depends on plot and availability.

Also interested. I watched the original when it aired and lost myself in Brotherhood last year.

Lustful Bride

MissFire

Name: Aria Semovente - The Flowing Alchemist
Birthplace: Aerugo
Height: 5' 5"
Weight: 128

Alchemy: As her name might indicate, Aria is adept at manipulating water molecules. The untrained eye might view what she does as spontaneous generation of liquid water, but what is actually happening is that she is manipulating the temperature of the moisture in the air, heating or cooling it in order to produce desired results. By cooling it, water droplets form. Aria's alchemy allows her to do this so rapidly that she can form and fire blasts of water with enough force to knock a grown man off his feet, or small and thin enough to actually cut flesh. By super-heating moisture, she can even create blasts of steam hot enough to scald. In order to hasten her alchemy, Aria has an alchemical circle on the palm of her left glove - and a much larger more hidden one on the inside of her coat.

Background: Despite the tension between the two nations, Aria's parents moved from Aerugo to Amestris about a year after she was born in order to avoid having to pay up on a number of debts her father had accrued. Despite hoping for a better life the family continued to exist more or less in poverty. Aria's father was an alcoholic and had trouble keeping a steady job, requiring her mother to pick up slack by selling handmade clothing or doing the odd tailoring job. Eventually, Aria's father simply wandered off and mother and daughter never heard from him again. As soon as she was able, Aria found herself a job working as a dishwasher in a kitchen in order to help make ends meet. With the absence of her father, Aria and her mother lived a poor but relatively peaceful and happy life. Aria's mother never re-married, nor did she ever date anyone again.

As Aria grew up she proved to be a quick study in just about any subject she found an interest in. After all, books were inexpensive and could be used again and again. She readily absorbed information wherever she could get it. Alchemy was one thing that instantly grabbed her attention. Especially when she read about one thing that was particularly forbidden; turning things to gold. She even tried it once and met with success, but was so stricken with guilt she threw the gold into a nearby river.

She kept working and honing her skill and quickly found water to be extremely easy to work with. With a promising talent in bloom, she set her eyes upon becoming a State Alchemist so that she could find a better life for herself (and, secretly, support her mother).

Personality: A little jaded, a little cynical. She'll often try to manipulate things to her advantage. Despite what appears to be a classy state of dress, she is actually quite cheap and will do anything in order to avoid having to pay money for something. She tries to play it cool and aloof most of the time, but can be energetic and feisty when situations don't go as planned. Aria is extremely protective of her mother and anyone that becomes her friend. In an effort to maintain her 'cool girl' air, she doesn't like people to see her getting all 'mushy' or 'caring', so she keeps the fact that she spends most of her money on her mother a secret. She is trying to shed her past and doesn't like people knowing she's still relatively poor. At least until this State Alchemist money starts rolling in.

Other:
-Aria mostly relies on her alchemy for offense, but is a decent hand-to-hand fighter and an excellent fencer.
-Her umbrella contains a hidden fencing blade.
-Her time working in a kitchen has let her pick up some modest cooking skill and her mother taught her to sew.
-She will find an excuse to avoid paying for anything and likewise will find any excuse to charge you for something.
-Romantically only interested in women.
-Additional Image #1
-Additional Image #2
-Theme: The Lives We Left Behind

"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die."
    - Sima Yi

MissFire

There's an example character for you all. Does anyone have any questions about creation?
    - Sima Yi

catherinehellfire

Oooo.. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was one of my first anime... I'm definitely interested and in the thought process!
If sex was a roller-coaster, I'd ride it over and over again.

Absences: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=261213.0

Name: Elsa Vogel, the Wind Alchemist
Birthplace: Amestris
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 135

Alchemy: Elsa always dreamed of flying, and when she learned about alchemy from her father and uncles, she found her ticket to the sky. Her alchemy is centered around wind currents and pressure, extending into other gases and, in extreme circumstances, vacuums. Her military uniform doubles as a wingsuit and light armor with which to catch the currents she creates and protect her somewhat from airborne mishaps. Having lost sight in her left eye in one of those mishaps, she tattooed an alchemical circle directly onto it. Her body is host to dozens more tattoos that she uses in various ways.

Background: The Vogel family has lived in Amestris since its founding, and became a pillar of industry and politics within the burgeoning country. Vogels and their cadet houses can be found at every level of government, and Elsa is no exception. While she lacks the ambition of most of her forebears, she has a gift that the Vogels typically do not – alchemical aptitude. She was scouted by the State Alchemists in her teens and has happily served as a dog of the military ever since, including several tours in Ishval and elsewhere.

Personality: As romantic as her childhood dream of flight was, as an officer of the military, Elsa is cold and precise. She is not prone to psychopathic outbursts like certain individuals, but she is quite willing to do what she sees as necessary to her missions, as any good State Alchemist would. Her hands are far from clean, and she shows no remorse for actions done in service of country. She is known to have a macabre sense of humor, but despite her perhaps sociopathic tendencies, she is surprisingly courteous to those she has not been assigned to kill, perhaps due to her high class upbringing.

Other:
-Elsa is a brutal knife fighter, and uses these in combination with her wind alchemy to harry her enemies with speed and precision.
-She is not a romantic whatsoever, preferring to get straight to the point when it comes to sex. She is bisexual.
-As a wealthy child in an ambitious family, she was taught a variety of skills in self-sufficiency, diplomacy, self-defense, manipulation, investments, and so forth… but she doesn’t always use them.
-Very well regarded by her peers due to her dedication to missions and keeping government personnel alive. Less well regarded by her own family due to her lack of ambition.

MissFire

Very nicely done. Welcome aboard. If we can get two more we can begin.
    - Sima Yi

So... Anyone else planning on submitting a character? :P

LeSane

I'll submit a sheet when I get off work.
'Life is an unreasonable game in which winning was impossible from the start. Even so spread your wings and fly straight into the sun! If the world threatens to swallow you whole crush it under your heel.'

catherinehellfire

I plan to, I developed a major case of writer's block though and I'm trying to get the creative juices flowing again.

Lustful Bride

I am now on Summer Vacation (*flips off my college as I drive away happily*) 

I'm gonna get to work on some CS stuff soon.

MissFire

- Sima Yi

apygoos

i sitlll mgiht, ebating what alchemy to specilaize in~

catherinehellfire

Hey guys, I'm stuck between two character ideas, one who's more joyful and friendly:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Or one who's more dark
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I kinda wanted to know which one you guys think I should do, as I love them both.  :P

I would vote cheerful so the whole game isn't Gotham City denizens. :P

catherinehellfire

Quote from: Karma on May 08, 2016, 05:22:51 PM
I would vote cheerful so the whole game isn't Gotham City denizens. :P

Lol, true.  I'm thinking I'll probably go with her more for that reason, but I think I'll wait to see the opinions of one or two more people.

MissFire

The second one seems more in line with the setting, at least appearance-wise. Though just because she looks thoughtful in the picture doesn't mean she can't be cheerful in nature!
    - Sima Yi

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MissFire on May 09, 2016, 12:20:41 PM
The second one seems more in line with the setting, at least appearance-wise. Though just because she looks thoughtful in the picture doesn't mean she can't be cheerful in nature!

Hmm.....is this picture okay for my own character then?

MissFire

I can't tell if that's drawn or not. Huh.

Well, I'd prefer something drawn so it more closely matches with the two characters we already have.
    - Sima Yi

Lustful Bride

Quote from: MissFire on May 09, 2016, 12:26:30 PM
I can't tell if that's drawn or not. Huh.

Well, I'd prefer something drawn so it more closely matches with the two characters we already have.

Its CG, alright I will keep looking. X3  finding a good picture is the absolute hardest part.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on May 09, 2016, 12:28:26 PM
Its CG, alright I will keep looking. X3  finding a good picture is the absolute hardest part.

Yeah, I will almost always find a picture before I do any character building. That way I can be sure the character and pic will match. Finding one after the fact is hellish!

MissFire

That's why I always save any image I think looks good and keep them in a folder just for times like this. Then when I have to make a new character I look through that first before going to the internet for more options.
    - Sima Yi