WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on July 26, 2016, 01:28:02 PM
Hm. Do you have some rules ready for that?

BTW. Have you guys seen a movie called Battle: Los Angeles? It's a modern, very gritty take on an alien invasion scenario. I'd say it can serve as a WH40K inspiration - in the movie the human militaries of the world have to fight a surprise defense war against a completely unknown enemy who comes out of nowhere. Just like during a Chaos or Xenos attack...

That movie is how I pictured a battle with the TAU going. :P but that's just me.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on July 26, 2016, 01:28:02 PM
Hm. Do you have some rules ready for that?

Not fully realised, no. A few ideas at this stage. I wanted to see if anyone was interested in kicking it around and seeing if we could hammer a set of rules out.

Right now I seem to have come down with a cold though, and I know I'm not going to be at my most creative til it runs its course and I stop feeling bleh all the time.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Warlock

Tehre is noh time to beh lohst!

Batul Brothas!

Spehss Mahrens, todeh the enemeh is at oua doar! We know oua duteh and we will do eet. We fight for our honor as Blod Rehvens,
as SPESS MAHRENS, and we fight in the nehme of the Empra!

And if we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste
deff and defeat!

As you know! Moast of oua battle brothars are shtehtioned in SPEHSS, Pruhpeared to deep strike! Oua perimeter has been
pruhpeared in the even dat oua enehmies should be so bald and so foolish. We have plehced numerous beacons, allowing for
muhltiple, simuln-tehneous and devashtehting defensive deep strikes

The Codecks astartees nehmes this maneuvah Steel Rehn. We will descend upon the foe, we will ovawhelm them - we will leave none
alive! Meanwhile oua ground fawses will ensue the full defense of oua headkwaters

We are the spehss mahrens! WE ARE THE EMPRA'S FUREH!

-Indriick Boreale

Should stay away from 1d4chan, but I can't stop.

Oniya

Quote from: Warlock on July 27, 2016, 01:17:54 PM
Tehre is noh time to beh lohst!

Batul Brothas!

Spehss Mahrens, todeh the enemeh is at oua doar! We know oua duteh and we will do eet. We fight for our honor as Blod Rehvens,
as SPESS MAHRENS, and we fight in the nehme of the Empra!

And if we die this deh we die in gloareh, we die heroes' deffs, but we shall not die, no! It is the enemeh who will tehste
deff and defeat!

As you know! Moast of oua battle brothars are shtehtioned in SPEHSS, Pruhpeared to deep strike! Oua perimeter has been
pruhpeared in the even dat oua enehmies should be so bald and so foolish. We have plehced numerous beacons, allowing for
muhltiple, simuln-tehneous and devashtehting defensive deep strikes

The Codecks astartees nehmes this maneuvah Steel Rehn. We will descend upon the foe, we will ovawhelm them - we will leave none
alive! Meanwhile oua ground fawses will ensue the full defense of oua headkwaters

We are the spehss mahrens! WE ARE THE EMPRA'S FUREH!

-Indriick Boreale

Should stay away from 1d4chan, but I can't stop.

I am seeing this as captions for cat pictures.  Specifically, kittens trying to be very fierce and looking cute instead.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Warlock

Hmm, after calling upon the Astronomicon to guide me through the warp I found disappointingly few 40k memes featuring cats.

Oniya

Quote from: Warlock on July 27, 2016, 02:01:55 PM
Hmm, after calling upon the Astronomicon to guide me through the warp I found disappointingly few 40k memes featuring cats.

This needs to be fixed.  *sagenod*

Kittehs fur da Empurrer!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

greenknight

(Thanks for the upload, Lilac)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Inkidu

Quote from: Lustful Bride on July 27, 2016, 02:34:26 PM
Catnip for the Catnip God!
Cheezeburgers for the cheezeburger throne!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

I just found this and Commissar Holt is a man we should all take inspiration from ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stZV5SxzLf4

Egoiste

Just found this thread. It's cool. I like 40k, and still have the White Dwarf where Rogue Trader made its debut. The lore has come a long way since then, but while so much has changed I do appreciate that the overall atmosphere of the setting has remained constant (forget the power of technology, science and common humanity. Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for there is no peace amongst the stars," - White Dwarf issue 93, September 1987)  I think the setting can be taken seriously although it can also be very funny too. It has a very strong sense of satire, and the 'silly' side of it is more a product of a certain self-awareness than a consequence of the narrative. I never got into 40k for the tabletop in the 40mm scale although I used to play Epic, and later Battlefleet Gothic (in addition to Fantasy) which were both great, and incidentally less expensive than the standard game. Especially battlefleet Gothic.

I've dabbled in some of the 40k RPGs but for role-playing and story telling I have always favoured the fantasy setting especially the 2nd edition of WFRP, minus Storm of Chaos for the most part. Although 40k can be fun as well I think individuals can easily get lost in the setting. As that very first white dwarf issue said, 'But the universe is a big place and, whatever happens, you will not be missed...'

Beorning

So, now that the thread is resurrected... how are your WH40K projects going, guys?

Personally, I haven't painted anything for about a year... oh my God, it's been that long? Somehow, other things came along and I focused on them. Overall, my big realization in these last months is that I don't have time for all of my hobbies... in fact, I seem not to have time for almost any of them.  :-\

Also, I realized I may be just too meticulous for this army-building business. I mean, I can't help spending hours painting a single mini. I want each of them to be nice and unique! Hence, painting an army is very slow for me...

And, of course, I also realized that I don't have enough money...

Overall, this game was a major heartbreak for me in these last few months...

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Oniya on July 25, 2016, 01:53:14 PM
Caught in the Shoutbox, saved for the lols.
They clearly forgot about Catachan  :P

HairyHeretic

I'm still working away on my Night Lords, slowly, but making some progress at least. I prefer to make my models unique via the conversions, rather than the paint scheme.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

I'll see if I can take some when I have some decent light.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Doomsday

I've got a newbie oriented tournament tomorrow, there's a raffle dependent on having your army painted at least three colors, so I may be in a painting frenzy tonight. I'll share pictures soon.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Doomsday

Space Wolves, of course! Three rounds, 850 the first, 1050 the second, 1250 the last. Here are the rules: http://flatlandgamestore.com/event/warhammer-40k-dayscolation-event/

Lemme try to remember my lists off the top of my head... First round I'm running 2 Grey Hunter squads, Bjorn the Fell-Handed, Wulfen and some Long Fangs. Second round I'm adding a Wolf Lord, another Long Fang in the previous unit, and a drop pod for Bjorn. Last round I'm adding Murderfang and another Wulfen for the previous unit.

Not a ton of models, which has been my downfall in the past, but eventually I'm probably going to run less dreads and more troops, and probably some Thunderwolf Cavalry. I've been playing for about 3 months and am still getting the hang of all this.

AngelsSonata

Just took a quick look at your list, and with your two Dreadnoughts, will you be putting them in Drop Pods?

HairyHeretic

As someone who has faced them, Thunderwolves annoy the hell out of me. Thunderhammer and stormshield on something with multiple wounds that you can't instant kill. Best you can do is tar pit it with something cheap and worthless.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: Doomsday on July 29, 2016, 06:54:42 PM
Space Wolves, of course! Three rounds, 850 the first, 1050 the second, 1250 the last. Here are the rules: http://flatlandgamestore.com/event/warhammer-40k-dayscolation-event/

Out of curiosity: how many models is 850? How many is 1250?

HairyHeretic

Depends on the army you're playing, and the units you take.

Cattle die, kinsmen die