News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Grab the book closest

Started by stormkitten, March 08, 2009, 05:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

'Daylight was streaming through it, a welcome sight after the dimness of the corridors.'

~Darren Shan, Zom-B Circus
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Vergil Tanner

"Yet, even after several more unsuccessful rebellions during the seventh century, Assyria still resisted incorporating Tyre, along with the cities of Arvad and Byblos, into one of the three provinces into which the rest of Phoenicia had been divided."

- Richard Miles, Carthage Must Be Destroyed: The Rise And Fall of an Ancient Civilization.
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Scathmadra

Dear Josh, we stopped by to f*** you, but you didn't answer the door.

Thesunmaid

maggots feed upon your cold meat corpse.

*this is from a book of poetry from my friend Jon that he wrote as a character for a Larp.*
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Strangefate

Sensitive and affectionate, the young prince allowed himself to be moulded into the patterns his elders chose, believed unquestioningly in the mission they had planned for him, subjected his judgement utterly to theirs and turned as by second nature to Bouillon, to his chaplain or to Anhalt for advice. 

- C. V. Wedgwood, The Thirty Years War
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Vergil Tanner

"We know from Valerius Maximus that Rutilius in 105 BC introduced the methods of the gladatorial schools into military training, and from the author of the fourth book of the Strategemata that Marius was so impressed by the troops trained by Rutilius that he preferred them to his own."

- G.R. Watson, The Roman Soldier.
[I have a history shelf that is closer to me than my fiction shelf, ok?]

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Strangefate

There was a land-hunger in Normandy, whose thickly populated estates offered no scope for ambitious and restless young sons and landless knights.

- Steven Runciman, History of the Crusades, Vol. 1

(I'm literally sitting next to my bookshelf and the history books occupy the nearest shelf, so I know the feeling.  :-) )
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

gaggedLouise

Death, death!

-Eyvind Johnson, A Romantic Story (partly autobiographical novel about the author's dog years in early 1920s Berlin and Paris, a bit like A Movable Feast but with a less famous and glamorous cast of characters. The sentence just before was ten lines long, a winding description of somebody's face and posture...relieved I would not be transcribing that one!)  ::)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Warlock

Fågelhundar, Dressyr och Jakt

''Vanligen dresseras de stånde fågelhundarna, both english and continental, med hjälp av tvångsmetoden.''

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Warlock on May 22, 2014, 05:18:38 AM
Fågelhundar, Dressyr och Jakt

''Vanligen dresseras de stånde fågelhundarna, both english and continental, med hjälp av tvångsmetoden.''

Approximate translation of the above (I'm not familiar with dog training or hunting terms): "Usually the upright bird chaser dogs, both English and continental, are trained through the coercive method."

(hello there, landsman!)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Vergil Tanner

"Justin's text implies that Philip undertook the building of some fortifications and temples, and that the cities were to be in charge of their own works, probably with subsidies from him."

- Nicholas Hammond, Philip of Macedon.

[ @Strangefate: Haha, I love it, don't get me wrong - a lot of it is pleasure reading - but it does make me look like a huge dork. Probably because I am one. :P ]

Warlock

Quote from: gaggedLouise on May 22, 2014, 05:27:21 AM
Approximate translation of the above (I'm not familiar with dog training or hunting terms): "Usually the upright bird chaser dogs, both English and continental, are trained through the coercive method."

(hello there, landsman!)

The techincal term would be ''pointing (bird) dog'' or just ''pointer'' (There's also a Pointer breed), instead of ''upright bird chaser dog'', otherwise the translation looks fine. :)

(Hello to you too.)

yobo

The closest book was Skip og post i Hamburgruten 1853-1865 (Ships and mail in the route to Hamburg 1853-1865). A stamp book, and page 56 was blank. :P

Sindara

"They're more trouble than they're worth."

The Name of the Wind
Patrick Rothfuss
Ons and Offs.......

Vergil Tanner

"And if someone were to reply: 'There have existed many princes who have accomplished great deeds with their armies who have been considered generous,' I would answer you: 'A prince wither spends his own money and that of his subjects, or that of others; in the first case, he must be economical; in the second, he must not hold back any part of his generosity, for the prince who goes out with his armies and lives by looting, sacking and ransoms, and who lays hands on the property of others, such generosity is necessary; otherwise he would not be followed by his soldiers." [His 'reply' continues for quite some time, heh.]

- Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Kevben Battleheart

"The Old Wolf inspires such unshakeable loyalty that he has led the Sons of Russ into unimaginable terrors and emerged with victory grasped firmly in his claws."

- The Space Wolf Codex, Phil Kelly (Was the closest thing. I was looking through the book earlier for something while I was constructing an army focused around Grey Hunters and drop pods)
The Saga of Battleheart (O/O's)The Vault of Victory  ♥
The World of Adalern (currently closed to critiquing)
Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two. All know what is known to three.
Thought for the week: Harden your soul against decadence, but do not despise it for the soft appearance of the decadent may be deceiving.

Strangefate

The wonderful writer Albert Murray, who is a jazz historian among other things, told me that, during the era of slavery in this country, an atrocity from which we can never fully recover, the suicide rate per capita among slave owners was much higher than the suicide rate among slaves.

- Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., If This Isn't Nice, What Is?
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

AmberStarfire

Quote from: RedPhoenix on May 22, 2014, 09:08:04 PM
On the other hand, human intellectual knowledge is set in order by God with angels acting as intermediaries, while those things coming for the benefit of man that pertain to the bodily aspects, whether external or internal, are distributed by God through the intervention of angels and heavenly bodies.

- Malleus Maleficarum -

*Winces slightly*

alexpractice

Her kiss was like a draught of cold water and yet immediately excited my desire for it was full of an anguished yearning.

-Angela Carter, The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman

Oniya

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on May 22, 2014, 01:59:48 AM
"We know from Valerius Maximus that Rutilius in 105 BC introduced the methods of the gladatorial schools into military training, and from the author of the fourth book of the Strategemata that Marius was so impressed by the troops trained by Rutilius that he preferred them to his own."

- G.R. Watson, The Roman Soldier.
[I have a history shelf that is closer to me than my fiction shelf, ok?]

(I've quoted a math book and a knitting book already in this thread...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vergil Tanner

Red Phoenix: Yeah, I did an essay on the Malleus earlier this year....not a pleasant or easy book to read at all. Heh.

Oniya; True. I suppose you tend to get some weird lines, don'tcha? XD

My entry:

"His [Pope John Paul II] polytheistic hankerings were dramatically demonstrated in 1981 when he suffered an assassination attempt in Rome, and attributed his survival to intervention by Our Lady of Fatima; 'A maternal hand guided the bullet.' "

- Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion.

And because it's out and out funny, here is the next line: "One cannot help wondering why she didn't guide it to miss altogether."

AmberStarfire

"In some respects, he wouldn't have been far off."

~ Ghosts of Manhattan by George Mann

(It's jutting out that tiny bit further than the other books on the shelf, so that makes it a tiny bit nearer).

yobo

"At du skal ha barn med fyren, kanskje?" ("That you are having a kid with the guy?")

Frognerfitter by Alexa Bohwim.

MiraMirror

"There we would begin the evening with an icy Coke and the throb of the jukebox, while Father drove to a quiet bar across town where sometimes he met his friend Jerry and sometimes he sat alone, reading library books and taking measured sips of a single beer."

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

King Serperior

<Make your move, Marco!>, Rachel said.

- The Proposal by K. A. Applegate

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.