Santorum

Started by Sabby, January 15, 2012, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on March 19, 2012, 03:08:04 AM
The campaign was apparently juicy enough to merit its own Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_United_States_Senate_election,_2006#Campaign

Among other things, Santorum had spent barely a month living in his home district, and enrolled his children in a Pennsylvania-based online school that the Penn Hills School district had to pay tuition for, while they resided in Virginia.

Well this shows what type of nastiness will come our way if he's chosen for the GOP ticket.

Serephino

Quote from: vtboy on March 19, 2012, 05:37:52 AM
He must have been too progressive for PA voters.

I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.  The GOP is trying to get rid of my district completely while drawing the new lines because our Rep has been a Democrat since before I was born I think.  It was the same guy until he died a few years ago, then one of the guys on his staff ran and won.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 02:42:51 AM
I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.  The GOP is trying to get rid of my district completely while drawing the new lines because our Rep has been a Democrat since before I was born I think.  It was the same guy until he died a few years ago, then one of the guys on his staff ran and won.

You're going to get a lot of that this year.. it's the election year after a census.. lots of Gerrymandering going on.

Serephino

Yeah, I've heard they're trying to do it in pretty much every state that lost Reps.  So far the State Supreme Court is blocking it.

Torch

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 02:42:51 AM
I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.

Pennsylvania can be most easily described like this: Philadelphia at one end of the state, Pittsburgh at the other, and Alabama in the middle.  ::)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 09:27:19 PM
Yeah, I've heard they're trying to do it in pretty much every state that lost Reps.  So far the State Supreme Court is blocking it.

Oh.. both sides are doing it..

For example, North Carolina is typically Democrat dominated.. just PRIOR to the Dems losing out big to the GOP, they ignored the GOP's requests for a bipartisan panel to draw up districts. Cold.

The for the first time since the reconstruction the GOP gets control of both houses and they are screaming for bipartisan planning now that the boot is on the other foot.

I've been watching stuff in Florida and a few other states I've lived in.. they are ALL playing dirty these days.

Kuje

It's going on up here in Upstate NY. Rochester has just been split in half at the UofR campus, giving half the city to a guy that lives in Buffalo. Uh, hello, Buffalo is TWO hours away almost.

Samael

On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on March 24, 2012, 02:17:16 AM
Is this even legal?
'Obamaville'

Reminds me of the anti-Goldwater ads from the 64 election. Nothing fearmongering.

Serephino

I am so sick of the fear-mongering!  *screams*  The last big election two years ago was nothing but negative ads.  Seriously, there should be other ways of voicing displeasure than letters that are mostly ignored.  I sign petitions and send emails, getting responses that are nothing but bullshit propaganda.  I'm not an idiot; I see right through it.  Hell, my cat could a better job than these pea-brained fucktards.  /rant 

TheGlyphstone

Make it a feature-length film, stick an R rating on it, and it could almost be an entry in the Silent Hill franchise. Would probably make its production cost back too. :D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 24, 2012, 02:52:22 AM
I am so sick of the fear-mongering!  *screams*  The last big election two years ago was nothing but negative ads.  Seriously, there should be other ways of voicing displeasure than letters that are mostly ignored.  I sign petitions and send emails, getting responses that are nothing but bullshit propaganda.  I'm not an idiot; I see right through it.  Hell, my cat could a better job than these pea-brained fucktards.  /rant 

I agree, but till we eliminate the chorus line of litmus tests our candidates must go through on the party level, the intense scrutiny the media puts them through that no rational man will put his family through, and reform campaign finance to the point that less than fifty people can out spend the entire 2004 & 2004 presidential campaigns already, we are not going to get leaders worth a crap. I'm tired of using the term 'lesser evil' in my decisions for president. Most of the men and women who COULD be good leaders WONT run or can't because of the chorus line of special interests within the party hacking them up or a desire to not have their personal lives and/or family scrutinized.

John McCain kept his daughter by adoption out of the limelight in a desire to let her have a normal life. Some party members tried to say she was his daughter out of wedlock. Colin Powell won't run impart due to the fact that his wife has issues he doesnt want te media to aggravate with constant bombardment and harrying.

Rinzler

Quote from: Samael on March 24, 2012, 02:17:16 AM
Is this even legal?
'Obamaville'

Holy shit - and is it just me, or has that ad been designed to play on latent Islamophobia??

On a lighter note, Harry Enfield once did a supreme pisstake of these kind of scaremongering political ads. For the record, the British Labour party is (very) roughly equivalent to the Democrats, whilst the Conservatives are kind of like the Republicans:

Harry Enfield - "L Is For Labour"

Callie Del Noire

http://www.chicagonow.com/when-you-put-it-that-way/2012/03/santorum-utters-the-beginning-of-the-n-word-now-can-he-go-away/

Did Santorum almost call Obama the N word?

(granted the looping at the end of this section is a bit over the top.)

Question is.. did Santorum ALMOST use the N-bomb? and if so why is there almost no NATIONAL level coverage. I see papers like the Guardian in the UK covering it.. but none of the big US ones.

Samael

English isn't my native language, so take that with a grain of salt, but it sure as hell did sound like.
Why the hell is he even still up for nomination?
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Starlequin

Because there's a whole lot of people still sippin' on the Romney-flavored Haterade, thinking that one is actually better than the other.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Trieste

I'm extremely skeptical. Santorum is an idiot, and I don't think he's exactly Mr. Equality Sunshine, but I have a very, very hard time believing that the slip was due to nearly calling the President a racial slur by accident. The GOP candidates have been campaigning for months, they have been going non-stop, and as we get closer to the convention it will only get worse. I've been known to stumble over my words when I'm tired, and I know it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Santorum, but I'd rather loathe him for the policies I know he supports, rather than speculation on a word he didn't even say.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on March 31, 2012, 07:43:19 PM
English isn't my native language, so take that with a grain of salt, but it sure as hell did sound like.
Why the hell is he even still up for nomination?

Because he's won most of the south because the PTL Club/700 club/ect types think he will roll life back to a more Christian outlook. Personally I think he's soaking up delegates to be VP rather than let Romney pick another southern politician who might be able to think and chew without pissing off the moderates.

Because I can promise you this. Without the moderates, Romney will lose BIG. Santorum running would most likely look like Mondale vs Reagan in reverse, except I don't think he'd get DC or his Homestate

Solstice

Quote from: Trieste on March 31, 2012, 08:13:01 PM
I'm extremely skeptical. Santorum is an idiot, and I don't think he's exactly Mr. Equality Sunshine, but I have a very, very hard time believing that the slip was due to nearly calling the President a racial slur by accident. The GOP candidates have been campaigning for months, they have been going non-stop, and as we get closer to the convention it will only get worse. I've been known to stumble over my words when I'm tired, and I know it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Santorum, but I'd rather loathe him for the policies I know he supports, rather than speculation on a word he didn't even say.

I would like to echo this sentiment.

I very strongly dislike Santorum, both because I am vehemently opposed to many aspects of his ideology, and because I think his espoused policies are of the worst sort. I have enough reason to never remotely consider supporting him in any fashion, and enough distaste for what I perceive as his narrow-minded and bigoted outlook, that I'd rather keep criticism of him to the facts.

Frankly, holding a slip-up like that against him makes the case 'against Santorum' (so to speak) flimsier; there's enough to go on without bringing "Also, he maybe was going to say X" into the equation.

Also, the spell check apparently thinks that Santorum is an error.

I suppose I'll have to agree with it in that regard.

EDIT'd: Typo correction.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Callie Del Noire

True.. but I see the policitally 'offended' crowd jumping on things like this in a hairy heart beat. Which gives me the thought that someone has been circulating 'edited' footage.

Cythieus

The Obamaville thing had me cracking up. I love how this kind of stuff gets put out there as if its truth and that's how the world looks right now. Obama's done more to stop terrorism than Bush ever did, Iran's status as nuclear has nothing to do with us other than Bush attacking Iraq probably inspired them, the economy has been getting better, despite the gas prices (which had been nearly this high before) and freedom of religion's only suffering where Republicans had tried to stomp out non-Christians.

Santorum is crazy though and the reason why candidates like Rick Perry had to pull out of the race is that despite him being an evil asshole, even he wasn't able to go as far right as they wanted.

Tiberius

^^ True ever since Obama. Cameron in the UK and Rudd/Gillard in Australia were voted into office the war on terror made significant progress. It was the Coalition forces of US/UK/Australia that in the last three years made major breakthroughs in cleaning up Afghanistan. And it was an American strike team under the supervision of Obama and his Military advisors that finally disposed of the mastermind.

And honestly I live half way around the world and Santorum scares the fuck out of me, that guy is so radical and that he's actually gaining support, is bloody scary.

Torch

Quote from: Tiberius on April 05, 2012, 09:09:05 AM
And honestly I live half way around the world and Santorum scares the fuck out of me, that guy is so radical and that he's actually gaining support, is bloody scary.

No reason to be scared. The popular support Santorum may have does not translate into delegates.

The current delegate count shows Romney well on his way to winning the nomination. Santorum is quickly becoming irrelevant.

The "magic number" is 1144. Romney has (as of this morning) 658 delegates, Santorum has 281.

Romney also has 36 superdelegates, Santorum has only 2.

All the hoopla surrounding Santorum will be over in a month or so. Just wait it out.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 05, 2012, 09:20:40 AM
No reason to be scared. The popular support Santorum may have does not translate into delegates.

The current delegate count shows Romney well on his way to winning the nomination. Santorum is quickly becoming irrelevant.

The "magic number" is 1144. Romney has (as of this morning) 658 delegates, Santorum has 281.

Romney also has 36 superdelegates, Santorum has only 2.

All the hoopla surrounding Santorum will be over in a month or so. Just wait it out.

Don't bet on it. He has enough now that, given which states he won, that the party leadership will push him for VP consideration. Santorum is strong down south where Romney isn't, there will be a push to use him to fill those gaps. Rightly or wrongly. Personally I'd look for a popular moderate type to hedge the moderate republicans like myself but everything I've seen in the last 15 years out of the party makes me think they won't consider that.  Rather than work, consider compromise and listening to reform minded moderates they will continue to let the corporate interests and religious extreme right lead the party by the nose. Why chase a goose you don't have when you got two smaller ones already locked in the shed?

Got to say that at least the party STAYs bought.