Santorum

Started by Sabby, January 15, 2012, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 28, 2012, 03:47:19 PM
In all honesty, Santorum scares me. Flat out scares me. I really, really want to believe that he was put out there as a distraction or an insurance policy that Obama gets reelected because the alternative thought - that he would be a good president - is just too horrifying.

I put him in the same category I put Joe Biden.. 'insurance that the president isn't killed by an assassin.' Joe Biden strikes me as a weasel too. He's laying low and not doing a lot but I know if he's gets the oval office.. we're toast. He's for things like Sopa and anything else that allows his backers to control their IP without a concern about laws or end user's rights.

Iniquitous

I actually talked to my mom about Santorum since both my parents are conservative christians. Thankfully, neither she nor my dad like Santorum (they aren't big on Romney either) and have said they would not vote for him. Dad thinks he is a nut job while Mom just tries to flat out ignore anything he says. But you are right - how many out there believe like he does? How many think the church should govern this country? (Of course, with so many different branches of christianity, that would open a whole other can of worms - primarily, which branch?)

All I know is if he gets elected, I want to start looking further north for a new home. A lot further north.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 28, 2012, 04:04:39 PM
I actually talked to my mom about Santorum since both my parents are conservative christians. Thankfully, neither she nor my dad like Santorum (they aren't big on Romney either) and have said they would not vote for him. Dad thinks he is a nut job while Mom just tries to flat out ignore anything he says. But you are right - how many out there believe like he does? How many think the church should govern this country? (Of course, with so many different branches of christianity, that would open a whole other can of worms - primarily, which branch?)

All I know is if he gets elected, I want to start looking further north for a new home. A lot further north.

Ironically.. some of the UBER fundie conservatives I know won't vote for him.. He's Roman Catholic. (They still worry about the Pope controlling the US. what can I say? Froth at the brain types still exist)

Oniya

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-focuses-reaching-women-adviser-says-macgyver-campaign-050602438--abc-news.html

I really wish he hadn't brought MacGyver into it.  I'm tempted to write to Richard Dean Anderson to see if he'll tell Santorum to take a flying leap.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on February 29, 2012, 07:48:51 AM
I really wish he hadn't brought MacGyver into it.  I'm tempted to write to Richard Dean Anderson to see if he'll tell Santorum to take a flying leap.

Anderson fought hard to get a sequence included in one episode that revealed that Mac's fear of guns stemmed from seeing a friend accidentally shot dead as a teen. I doubt he would be happy to see the character appropriated by the "Second Amendment Is The Only One That Counts" set.

Iniquitous

I LoL'd at his attempt to pander to women. Very nearly choked on my coffee I laughed so hard. But then I remembered he is still in the race and I wanted to cry because I truly do fear that there are enough idjits out there that will vote him in.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

vtboy

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 29, 2012, 09:35:45 AM
I LoL'd at his attempt to pander to women. Very nearly choked on my coffee I laughed so hard. But then I remembered he is still in the race and I wanted to cry because I truly do fear that there are enough idjits out there that will vote him in.

Well, that's the real problem, isn't it? We, the People, might get the government we deserve.

I continue to harbor serious doubts that the founders of our republic would have gone to the trouble had they forseen this incarnation of popular democracy.

Avis habilis

Quote from: vtboy on February 29, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
Well, that's the real problem, isn't it? We, the People, might get the government we deserve.

Or rather that all of us end up with the government that only some of us deserve.

Will

Or most of us, by definition (quirks of the electoral college notwithstanding).
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will on February 29, 2012, 02:47:28 PM
Or most of us, by definition (quirks of the electoral college notwithstanding).

For sufficiently limited definitions of 'most'.  Remember to vote if you can!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

But if he's too much for even many hardline conservative Christians, then surely he can't ever garner a majority at the national elections in November? Just like Palin, he would push off too many republican voters. Even if he were nominated, I really don't believe he could get enough people to hold their noses and say "okay, he's a nut, but if he can get Obama out, then it's all right!"

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 29, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
But if he's too much for even many hardline conservative Christians, then surely he can't ever garner a majority at the national elections in November? Just like Palin, he would push off too many republican voters. Even if he were nominated, I really don't believe he could get enough people to hold their noses and say "okay, he's a nut, but if he can get Obama out, then it's all right!"

Actually most of the ones I've heard it's the other way. "I'd rather a republican be in office, but against Santorum.. I'd vote Obama. he's the lesser evil"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 29, 2012, 10:18:44 PM
Actually most of the ones I've heard it's the other way. "I'd rather a republican be in office, but against Santorum.. I'd vote Obama. he's the lesser evil"

Yeah, I think Bachmann had the same effect on many GOP voters in her failed bid for the senate. She had ousted a more sensible candidate, and went down solidly herself because she was a no-vote even to many who would have preferred her side.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Sel Nar

As a foreign national (Look north. See me waving?), I can safely say that the double meaning of Santorum's name is particularly apt. Because, no matter who wins, someone's going end up well and solidly buttfucked. It's just a question of duration.

Oniya

Actually, the double meaning was a deliberate Google-bombing by Dan Savage that started in the Savage Love column on May 29, 2003.  I hear that people are trying to do the same sort of thing after hearing about how Mitt Romney transported the family dog (on the roof of the car, in its carrier  The poor thing 'romneyed' down the back window).

Sel Nar

Honestly, given the choice between Santorum and Romney, I'd be morally obliged to punch both of them, then go have a shower to wash the slimy feeling off of my hitting hand.

TheGlyphstone

I regret my decision to vote Elder Party this election less and less every day.

Zakharra

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 02, 2012, 10:13:32 AM
I regret my decision to vote Elder Party this election less and less every day.

You mean Cthulhu and that stuff?  If you are going to vote, could you at least write in someone who could actually sit in office, and not some fictional thing?

No offense intended. I can kind of understand why people write in Mickey Mouse and other fictional characters/people, but none of them could actually take the office if they won. Certainly not a fictional god blob.. thing. I'm not sure what to call the cthulhu mythos. It just seems that if you do that, it's like not voting since the vote is to someone/thing that doesn't exist.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zakharra on March 03, 2012, 10:42:12 AM
You mean Cthulhu and that stuff?  If you are going to vote, could you at least write in someone who could actually sit in office, and not some fictional thing?

No offense intended. I can kind of understand why people write in Mickey Mouse and other fictional characters/people, but none of them could actually take the office if they won. Certainly not a fictional god blob.. thing. I'm not sure what to call the cthulhu mythos. It just seems that if you do that, it's like not voting since the vote is to someone/thing that doesn't exist.

Which is the point - I despise every person running for office regardless of party line, and refuse to give any of them what might be the pivotal vote. It's a non-vote that gives me amusement in the process, so at least one person walks out happy.

Sabby

I think it should be a random draw. Each month, a citizen is randomly selected.

What? If your guna ruin your country, hurry up >.< I have a schedule to keep.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 03, 2012, 11:14:00 AM
Which is the point - I despise every person running for office regardless of party line, and refuse to give any of them what might be the pivotal vote. It's a non-vote that gives me amusement in the process, so at least one person walks out happy.

You could always write yourself in (assuming you fit the standard qualifications of 35 years old and a natural-born citizen). 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2012, 12:28:45 PM
You could always write yourself in (assuming you fit the standard qualifications of 35 years old and a natural-born citizen).

Even if I did meet those requirements, why the hell would I want that thankless job? :-\

Oniya

Do you honestly think you'd get enough votes to win?  *cocks an eyebrow*

Sabby

You could if you got a name change. Mickey Mouse gets a lot of votes.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2012, 12:33:53 PM
Do you honestly think you'd get enough votes to win?  *cocks an eyebrow*

It's a risk I'm not willing to take. There's always the slim possibility that it could end up like the scene in Pirates of the Carribean 3, where everyone votes for themselves except for the one candidate who gets 2 votes.