Santorum

Started by Sabby, January 15, 2012, 07:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I may be a little late on this, but I just found out about it and feel like sharing :) It got a laugh out of me, and the article is so one sided and archaic that it's kind of the perfect example of how not to write a news article.

Quote from: Fox NewsWhen Rick Santorum essentially tied in Iowa, he gave his campaign new life. He also guaranteed America would finally learn just how disgusting, vile and despicable the left is in this country. And how major news outlets and one of the most well-known businesses in the world – Google – are complicit in trying to destroy Santorum because he opposes gay marriage.
Santorum is the victim of what Reuters partner The Wrap and many other organizations call a “Google problem.” That’s quite the understatement. He was attacked with a Google bomb from Dan Savage, a gay advocate and sex columnist who hates straight people who don’t agree with him. He also thinks they should be silenced, bullied and blackmailed. That’s exactly how he’s treated Santorum.

Fox News. Fair and Balanced!

Samael

Fox News.
Even in Germany they are considered a joke.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Trieste

Wah wah wah, those gays are picking on us.

Wah wah wah, how low can the left go.

Wah wah wah hypocrite leftist communist hate speech poor rich white straight guy refusing to give equal rights to gays hitler hitler jews racism hate speech.

It's a little like shooting fish in a barrel at this point.

TheGlyphstone

Just to play a minor devil's advocate, but you are quoting an Opinion page ,not a news article in any way, shape, or form, even implicitly. Criticising an editorial for being biased and partisan is like getting upset because water is wet. This makes said bias no less hilarious and wrong, though - I read that and was looking around for my tinfoil hat out of sheer sympathy.

Zeitgeist

There is no presumption of 'fair' or 'balanced' on an opinion page. That is why they call it an Opinion page, as Glyphstone said.

And like MSNBCs bias isn't obvious? New York Times? Come on. This is an old and tired argument.

Vekseid

Quote from: Zeitgeist on January 17, 2012, 07:12:42 PM
And like MSNBCs bias isn't obvious? New York Times? Come on. This is an old and tired argument.

This is a false equivalence fallacy, and one that you did not choose to dispute when the subject matter was brought up regarding Fox's partisan donations, tolerance of its commentators making partisan donations, and putting Republican candidates and ex-candidates on its payroll. Similarly, no attempts at Orwellian 'language manipulation' have been leaked from the New York Times or MSNBC, unlike Fox. Until similar levels of ethical violations - and they are ethical violations on Fox's part - can be presented, it is perfectly accurate to describe Fox's bias as being completely out of line in comparison with its more honest rivals, and claiming otherwise can perfectly accurately be describes as dishonest until one of two things occurs:

1) Fox News reforms itself.
2) Other 'news' agencies stoop to Fox's level.

It's also extraneous to your point. I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, either.

Callie Del Noire

Hate to say it Z, but Fox is the worse offender on the 'spin control' axis of Major News these days.  Of course when you consider that Rupert Murdoch owns them it's not unexpected.

To Murdoch 'ethical reporting' happens to other people.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Vekseid on January 17, 2012, 08:20:17 PM
This is a false equivalence fallacy, and one that you did not choose to dispute when the subject matter was brought up regarding Fox's partisan donations, tolerance of its commentators making partisan donations, and putting Republican candidates and ex-candidates on its payroll. Similarly, no attempts at Orwellian 'language manipulation' have been leaked from the New York Times or MSNBC, unlike Fox. Until similar levels of ethical violations - and they are ethical violations on Fox's part - can be presented, it is perfectly accurate to describe Fox's bias as being completely out of line in comparison with its more honest rivals, and claiming otherwise can perfectly accurately be describes as dishonest until one of two things occurs:

1) Fox News reforms itself.
2) Other 'news' agencies stoop to Fox's level.

It's also extraneous to your point. I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is, either.

I think it's just another Fox-bashing thread, with a humorous and conspiracy-theorist bent. I enjoyed the entertainment value of the article, at least, as long as I don't think too hard about the writer being serious.

gaggedLouise

Sex, gays and red tape

This piece (linked) takes a closer look at Santorum's 2003 remarks about gay/lesbian marriage, "true marriage" and sex with animals, remarks that seem to get misreported sometimes even by those who are justly against his positions. No, they are not more palatable, in their interview context they are even worse than they're often credited with. Santorum was hinting, or half-weaseling, back then, that gay sex/gay relations are not "a bit less evil or pervy" than bestiality but just as evil, or near as evil. And moreover, that LGBT sex acts should be a crime in themselves, overriding any right to privacy, even at home.

Quote from 2003 AP interview with Rick Santorum (in another place in the interview, also quoted by Reason in the piece I linked to at the start, he makes the explicit equation, or near-equation, of gay sex, pedophilia and sexual acts with animals):

If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything. Does that undermine the fabric of our society? I would argue yes, it does. It all comes from, I would argue, this right to privacy that doesn't exist in my opinion in the United States Constitution; this right that was created, it was created in Griswold — Griswold was the contraceptive case — and abortion. And now we're just extending it out. And the further you extend it out, the more you — this freedom actually intervenes and affects the family. You say, well, it's my individual freedom. Yes, but it destroys the basic unit of our society because it condones behavior that's antithetical to strong healthy families. Whether it's polygamy, whether it's adultery, where it's sodomy, all of those things, are antithetical to a healthy, stable, traditional family....

The idea is that the state doesn't have rights to limit individuals' wants and passions. I disagree with that. I think we absolutely have rights because there are consequences to letting people live out whatever wants or passions they desire.

The consequences being basically that fewer children are born, because gay couples supposedly do not produce or raise kids, that the idea of homosexuality gets propagated as a hip or desirable thing and that the proper roles of men and women get washed out and perverted. And the points he states, if they were to guide actual law, would also have dire consequences for teenage sex, like, to consensual relationships where the parties straddle the 15-year mark but are happy exploring love, sex and sensuality. By the way, shouldn't "seduction into thinking gayness is okay" be a crime too? Get Al Corley and Rufus Wainwright to jail asap!

(I recall a case in Carolina, NC or SC, where a guy was sentenced to several (ten?) years in jail without any possibility of pardon after his younger girlfriend, who was 14, had willingly given him fellatio at a new year's party: the sentence wasn't changed even after the law in question was overturned, and the case had to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to determine that it was an implausible and grossly oversized punishment enshrined in a questionable law´. By then, the boy had spent a number of years in jail. Excuse my suspicion that he was black and the girl white...).

Well, Santorum isn't actively defending these positions he outlined back in 2003 at the moment - he knows this kind of hard straight line would kill his chances of ever getting close to winning the election, perhaps even to get nominated. But they seem to really tie in with his perspective on sex and human relations. Gives a cue of what policies might be enacted - on or under the table - by a President Santorum.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

TheGlyphstone

Where in that quote does he mention bestiality?

gaggedLouise

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2012, 08:18:31 AM
Where in that quote does he mention bestiality?

In another key statement of the interview he says

Every society in the history of man has upheld the institution of marriage as a bond between a man and a woman. Why? Because society is based on one thing: that society is based on the future of the society. And that's what? Children. Monogamous relationships. In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing.

That passage is quoted by the article at Reason I was linking to; neither I nor Reason could quote the entire interview, no big deal. But that bit makes it plain that Santorum is slinging together homosexuality, polygamy, paedophilia and bestiality as morally and socially equivalent - or almost equivalent, still completely off the map for any sane society.

The reference of "it" in the last lines "It's not, you know, man on child (---) It is one thing." looks a bit ambiguous, or there could be several references. Some people have taken it to refer to homosexuality, so the sense would be "homosexuality isn't as bad as man-on-child, man-on-cat or whatever /but still disruptive to society/". The writer in Reason thinks it refers to marriage, contrasted against gay sex, pedo sex, bestiality and so on. To me it could also mean, "the crucial thing isn't gay sex, pedo sex or whatever - they are all one thing, one lump of not-to-do things, and they are all disruptive". But whichever way, he clearly links up homosexual relations - and by extension, any LGBT relationships and sexual activities - with paedophilia and sex w/ animals.

/EDIT 18.11 CET: made the connection clearer in my original post/

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, I wasn't disputing that he said it, but an opinion piece examing his equivalence of gays = bestiality should at least include the quote in question rather than quoting an unrelated part of the interview. Now that I've read the piece itself (I missed the link you gave), I can see that was addressed up-front, but not in your excerpt.

Nico

Well, I really would like to have a talk with Mr. Santorum. I've followed him a little via the News and the papers, and... I find myself shaking my head. I am not a very political person, but if a person hates that much, it hurts me.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 12, 2012, 05:22:21 AM
(I recall a case in Carolina, NC or SC, where a guy was sentenced to several (ten?) years in jail without any possibility of pardon after his younger girlfriend, who was 14, had willingly given him fellatio at a new year's party: the sentence wasn't changed even after the law in question was overturned, and the case had to go all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to determine that it was an implausible and grossly oversized punishment enshrined in a questionable law´. By then, the boy had spent a number of years in jail. Excuse my suspicion that he was black and the girl white...).

I think you missed the case by a state. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_v._State_of_Georgia

gaggedLouise

Thanks for looking up the case, Callie. Yes, Georgia, but that case, as a 21st century item, really looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland to many of us.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 12, 2012, 11:54:44 AM
Thanks for looking up the case, Callie. Yes, Georgia, but that case, as a 21st century item, really looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland to many of us.

This is where I get twitchy about the sex offender registry. You get the sort of stuff that folks do but now with an overzelous DA you're marked for life.  I've had friends, from Georgia, who said 'I did that with my GF/Wife when I was younger.'

I've heard of DA's try and push kids on the list for underage sex (one or both parties, depending on the standing of one parent or another).

It dilutes the Sex Offenders List to do such things.

Back on topic though, Santorum is all about small government except where my (and my SO's) reproductive health, bedroom antics and thoughts are concerned. The more he and his peers talk, the more authoritarian/totalitarian they sound. He scares the crap out of me.

vtboy

Like the justices who decided Griswold and Roe v Wade, I believe the Constitution does protect individual privacy in matters as intimate and as central to our notions of self as sexuality and procreation. In fact, I cannot imagine a civilized society based on any but the most superficial concept of individual liberty which would permit the state to intrude in these areas in the absence of some truly compelling interest (yes, I know there are those who think protection of the fetus is such an interest, but would prefer to leave that issue for another day). That said, I am forced to acknowledge that, as a matter of Constitutional construction, the issue is not free from doubt. Even that staunch defender of individual liberties, William O. Douglas, seemed to acknowledge the tenuousness of the legal foundation of these limited privacy rights when he described them as "penumbral" -- i.e., in the nature of a shadow cast by other rights which explicitly appear in the text of the Constitution.

What I find most interesting about the religious right, however, is not its jurisprudence, but the apparently widespread fear that, in the absence of legal prohibition, the siren calls of homosexuality, incest, bestiality, and god-knows-what else, will prove so overwhelming as to lure masses of men and women in "conventional" heterosexual relationships to abandon their commitments to spouses, partners, and family. While I can't speak for others, I can say that it hasn't been the fear of criminal prosecution that has kept me out of the beds of other men or, for that matter, my dog's ass. 

Makes you wonder what Rick Santorum is really thinking about on nooky night with the wife.

TheGlyphstone

Probably just nookie with his wife. I know it's fashionable to assume all homophobia is simply an expression of deeply repressed homosexual impulses, but his level of zealotry is hard to fake.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2012, 01:07:09 PM
Probably just nookie with his wife. I know it's fashionable to assume all homophobia is simply an expression of deeply repressed homosexual impulses, but his level of zealotry is hard to fake.

I could care less.. cause.. gee.. he's entitled to his right of privacy. God I hope nothing about it ever comes up. Honestly I don't want to know anything MORE about the jack-ass.

So, please.. world media.. don't go looking. Just.. ignore him please. I'm running low on brain bleach.

Particulary.. nothing more like this..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2087812/Rick-Santorums-wife-Karen-love-affair-abortion-doctor.html

gaggedLouise

This one's for Mr. Santorum and his cronies, peering at other people's lust.

Colonel Abrams - Trapped

OldSchoolGamer

Conservatism!
Getting the big mean repressive government out of our lives.*

* unless it involves subsidizing corporations, war, or stopping buttsechs.  Then more government is good.    C:)

vtboy

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 12, 2012, 01:07:09 PM

Hard to fake? What about former senator Larry Craig?

I don't make the assumption that all homophobia is an expression of deeply repressed homosexual impulses, and I am hardly a slave to fashion. But, when wing-nuts like Santorum claim that according respect to an individual's decision to use contraceptives or to couple with someone of the same gender will inexorably lead to the destruction of civilization as we know it, I really have to wonder what he or she is afraid of.

And, for the record, I prefer to assume Santorum is fantasizing about the dog.

Lilias

I personally enjoyed the perspective offered in this piece.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lilias on February 12, 2012, 04:05:49 PM
I personally enjoyed the perspective offered in this piece.
Sadly being a hypocrit is part of being a 'religious right-winger'.  They are all 'listen to what I say, ignore anything I do to the contrary'.

Sabby

Trieste

Damn skippy. I want to see abolishment of divorce laws, and an executive order that everyone who has admitted to adultery be stoned.

*assistant comes in and whispers in Trie's ear* ... what? *whisperwhisper* No, I don't want to lose half of Cong-*whisper* ... oh... oh.

Never mind that stoning part. >.>

gaggedLouise

Ricky is the man,
We'll make you understand.
Got a plan in his hands
To straighten up the land!

*runs off with paper sheet to find a composer and sell it as the campaign anthem*

Oniya

I was thinking

Hey Ricky
What a pity
You don't understand...

(Yes, I know the original was 'Mickey'.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

elone

Ricky has a plan all right
To turn back the clock
And plunge us into night.

Ricky wants us to come along
As long as it's his way
For he determines right and wrong.

The man is scarier than Joe McCarthy

In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Serephino

You do have to wonder about him...  Generally speaking, anyone who believes so strongly that the law must protect people from perversion or all hell will break loose has urges of their own they have trouble controlling.  They need the law to protect them, so they assume the same of the general population. 

Of course, it could also be some deluded fear that unless the government steps in the Devil will descend and corrupt us.  We should thank him for wanting to save our souls....
::)

Still, he's about a 6 on the creep-factor scale.  Herman Cain creeped me out too, so mark my words, something will eventually come to light.  My vote is he's a pedophile.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on February 13, 2012, 02:57:43 AM
You do have to wonder about him...  Generally speaking, anyone who believes so strongly that the law must protect people from perversion or all hell will break loose has urges of their own they have trouble controlling.  They need the law to protect them, so they assume the same of the general population. 

Of course, it could also be some deluded fear that unless the government steps in the Devil will descend and corrupt us.  We should thank him for wanting to save our souls....
::)

Still, he's about a 6 on the creep-factor scale.  Herman Cain creeped me out too, so mark my words, something will eventually come to light.  My vote is he's a pedophile.

Nah, I get the 'total hypocrite' feel off of him. Somewhere out there is an intern who got paid off for an affair. 

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

I like to call it a Pedosmile :)

Oniya

Cain got caught with adult women.  I'm betting that Santorum goes to bed at night with the thought that he and he alone is responsible for beating off the 'gay plague'.

Pun thoroughly intended.  Because I'm evil.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Sabby

He goes to bed with a broom handle named Aunty Charles.

Serephino

He said marriage is between a man and a woman, not man on boy.  He said other things too, but never once said man on man.  He said man on boy.  I don't know, something tells me that was a Freudian slip.   

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Serephino on February 13, 2012, 06:14:05 PM
He said marriage is between a man and a woman, not man on boy.  He said other things too, but never once said man on man.  He said man on boy.  I don't know, something tells me that was a Freudian slip.   

Not really a Freudian slip, just a reinforcement of his prejudice. Gay = Pedo, obviously.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 13, 2012, 06:20:11 PM
Not really a Freudian slip, just a reinforcement of his prejudice. Gay = Pedo, obviously.

I agree.. it's clear that he considers both the same level of 'wrong' despite the fact that consenting adults aren't the same as kids.

Oniya

Two questions on this: 

1) Shouldn't a candidate for President know what abilities are conveyed by that office?
2) When a candidate shoots himself in the foot, does that fit into the 'lone gunman theory'?

http://digg.com/newsbar/Politics/santorum_i_would_overturn_any_supreme_court_ruling_same_sex_marriage_legal_the_raw_story

Trieste

At least he's equal opportunity in his right-bashing. Roe v Wade AND anything ruling gay marriage legal...

I wonder what he would do with a trans equality bill.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Trieste on February 13, 2012, 08:08:02 PM
At least he's equal opportunity in his right-bashing. Roe v Wade AND anything ruling gay marriage legal...

I wonder what he would do with a trans equality bill.

I think he'd have a nice long press conference about how these poor people don't understand God's plan for them, ect.

He's a tool. I sincerely doubt that he'd do anything beyond assure the President gets another four years in office, as candidate or vp candidate.

Sabby

BraveEarth

Quote from: Oniya on February 13, 2012, 07:57:53 PM
Two questions on this: 

1) Shouldn't a candidate for President know what abilities are conveyed by that office?
2) When a candidate shoots himself in the foot, does that fit into the 'lone gunman theory'?

http://digg.com/newsbar/Politics/santorum_i_would_overturn_any_supreme_court_ruling_same_sex_marriage_legal_the_raw_story

But but but I.... He... I don't even... Does he realize what he is saying does go against the conservative small government agenda?!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BraveEarth on February 14, 2012, 01:39:26 PM
But but but I.... He... I don't even... Does he realize what he is saying does go against the conservative small government agenda?!

But it's only against it when it can be used AGAINST the conseverative agenda (which is whatever the Corporations buying them say it is.. look for the strings as he talks like the good puppet his is)

Oniya

Quote from: BraveEarth on February 14, 2012, 01:39:26 PM

Not to mention the fact that the only check that the Executive Branch has over the Judicial Branch is the ability to appoint Supreme Court Justices.  He can't simply 'overturn' a SCOTUS decision.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on February 14, 2012, 02:10:59 PM
Not to mention the fact that the only check that the Executive Branch has over the Judicial Branch is the ability to appoint Supreme Court Justices.  He can't simply 'overturn' a SCOTUS decision.

Well that will have to change! (At least while he's in office!)

BraveEarth

Quote from: Oniya on February 14, 2012, 02:10:59 PM

That was the part about me not being able to talk...

BraveEarth

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 14, 2012, 02:18:42 PM
Well that will have to change! (At least while he's in office!)

I am not sure how he would even start to go about doing it...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BraveEarth on February 14, 2012, 02:20:41 PM
I am not sure how he would even start to go about doing it...

[sarcasm]

Well you see, he takes a pen and a bottle of white out and goes down to the national archives and 'edits' the Constitution and Bill of Rights till he 'fixes' all our problems.

[/sarcasm]

I know there are at least one state that has the veto power to 'edit' the thing being passed into law so selectively that it could come out totally mangled. (trying to recall which state). I'm sure he'd like that power as President.

Oniya

Wisconsin (go figure).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein_veto

And it turns out his backers are equally clueless.  I hate to use Internet memes, but this guy really deserves a 'derp durr hurr'.

Foster Friess' Bayer Aspirin For Contraception Joke

Aspirin as a cheap contraceptive - you hold the tablet between your knees!  Gods, that joke was stupid when I was in college.

vtboy

Saint Santorum has testified:

“In the Netherlands, people wear different bracelets if they are elderly. And the bracelet is: ‘Do not euthanize me.’ Because they have voluntary euthanasia in the Netherlands but half of the people who are euthanized — ten percent of all deaths in the Netherlands — half of those people are enthanized involuntarily at hospitals because they are older and sick. And so elderly people in the Netherlands don’t go to the hospital. They go to another country, because they are afraid, because of budget purposes, they will not come out of that hospital if they go in there with sickness.”

— Former senator Rick Santorum, at the American Heartland Forum in Columbia, Missouri, Feb. 3, 2012

Sabby

And he's commenting on Norwegian health care because... he needs an extremely bad example to put next to American hospitals?

Sabby

So... Abortion used to be not tolerated, and now it is, and since it wasn't before it's still bad? I love how simplistic his chain of logic tends to be.

Trieste

Not abortion. Euthanasia is what he's talking about - assisted suicide.

Sabby

No, the video in the link he goes off into an Abortion tangent for a while. Not sure why... I guess to remind us he's representing the crazies. Anal sex and unwanted pregnancy seem to be the biggest issues in these turbulent times.

Trieste

Facebook is once more oddly relevant:

(I say 'oddly' because it's usually pretty irrelevant.)

Serephino

Ah, yes, we must not let ourselves become like Socialist Europe because they abort babies and kill the elderly...  We Americans can't have that!

There goes the fear mongering again.  Personally, I would like to hear a response to this from a Dutch person, because I'm just betting the asshole is full of it.

RubySlippers

I will just point out Republicans will vote for whoever is the final nominee and it could be Santorum, so he could easily be the next president. Crazy sounding or not he has ample support once nominated built in that is all Republicans, southern independents and many who are fed up with no clear improvements in the economy affecting them. Add to that that subtle racism and Obama is not in a good position to gain office again.

So poke fun but his views are not hurting him much and in fact may be helping him.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 28, 2012, 10:53:39 AM
I will just point out Republicans will vote for whoever is the final nominee and it could be Santorum, so he could easily be the next president. Crazy sounding or not he has ample support once nominated built in that is all Republicans, southern independents and many who are fed up with no clear improvements in the economy affecting them. Add to that that subtle racism and Obama is not in a good position to gain office again.

So poke fun but his views are not hurting him much and in fact may be helping him.

I know at least .. (counts family members) Seven republicans who won't vote for him. Does a quick count of friends that called the incumbent the 'lesser evil'. That's another.. dozen or so.

Don't think that he'd get elected and I'm sure the men running the party know that.

Oniya

I've heard numbers as high as 20% of Republicans are more likely to vote incumbent - throw in sampling error and spin-factor, and I'd be likely to believe 10% - it's still a hefty chunk of change.  If he keeps pissing off women, that number could go higher.  (I wonder if he remembers that we still have that pesky right to vote?)

Avis habilis

Thirty million fundamentalists sat on their hands last time because McCain wasn't homophobic & anti-choice enough. That includes a certain number of the Concerned Women for America (or as Fred Clark refers to them, "Ladies Against Women") set. I very much fear that Santorum, who they think is aces, could stroll to victory.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Oniya on February 28, 2012, 12:14:47 PM
I've heard numbers as high as 20% of Republicans are more likely to vote incumbent - throw in sampling error and spin-factor, and I'd be likely to believe 10% - it's still a hefty chunk of change.  If he keeps pissing off women, that number could go higher.  (I wonder if he remembers that we still have that pesky right to vote?)

I know but they might say that but when the vote is cast will they. But Republicans usually vote with the party when Democrats will not and Independents will vote the way the wind is blowing later in the election night. So who knows but he could get in if Obama gets enough backlash voting which is an issue.

Santorums running mate will be key if he is smart he will ask Jodi Rell of Connecticate to run she is smart, moderate and works with both parties and a woman and respects the seperation of powers, In short she could temper the ticket and is a serious choice. Olene S. Walker would also be the other good choice she is sensible, doesn't make waves and would bring in Utah as a state plus is well regarded even by Democrats in her state and be less controversial for him as a choice and would be safe.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 28, 2012, 12:38:38 PM
I know but they might say that but when the vote is cast will they. But Republicans usually vote with the party when Democrats will not and Independents will vote the way the wind is blowing later in the election night. So who knows but he could get in if Obama gets enough backlash voting which is an issue.

Santorums running mate will be key if he is smart he will ask Jodi Rell of Connecticate to run she is smart, moderate and works with both parties and a woman and respects the seperation of powers, In short she could temper the ticket and is a serious choice. Olene S. Walker would also be the other good choice she is sensible, doesn't make waves and would bring in Utah as a state plus is well regarded even by Democrats in her state and be less controversial for him as a choice and would be safe.

Thing is.. I doubt that that Santorum (and his bible thumpers) want to 'dilute' their message with a moderate. After all, both the options you listed have mouths and opinions. The vibe I get is he'd definitely catch hell for picking 'his mom' as a running mate (sorry).

SilentScreams

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on February 12, 2012, 02:20:28 PM
Conservatism!
Getting the big mean repressive government out of our lives.*

* unless it involves subsidizing corporations, war, or stopping buttsechs.  Then more government is good.    C:)

Really, now, is that constructive? Or does it just help, like this thread and the opinion piece that spawned it, ensure that this manufactured animosity continues?

Now, looking at the "unless" factors for a moment; corporate subsidies? Yes, it's clear that there have been absolutely none, nope, not all all, zilch, nada, zero of those during the past three years. General Motors has always been Government Motors, right? To the second contention; wars. I don't know how you define war but it seems that since the State Dept. began a systematized destabilization of our allies war has actually increased in the past three years. And do you not see the slow, steady march to war that is being drummed into us by government and the media (both right and left)? Or do you really think that Syria is for humanitarian purposes because Assad used chem weapons on his people. Oh wait, imagine that- so did Saddam. Iran? Ever see it in the news? Clearly, its the republicans.

The media is manupliating the public to keep them riled up and screaming about nothing while the government continues to tighten the screws on each and every one of us. Except we don't notice, do we? No, today they tighten the screws on the right and the left cheers, tomorrow vice versa and at the end of the week there are no more screws left to be tightened. We are being split apart on purpose by stories, and the furor they create, on purpose.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SilentScreams on February 28, 2012, 01:19:16 PM
Really, now, is that constructive? Or does it just help, like this thread and the opinion piece that spawned it, ensure that this manufactured animosity continues?

Now, looking at the "unless" factors for a moment; corporate subsidies? Yes, it's clear that there have been absolutely none, nope, not all all, zilch, nada, zero of those during the past three years. General Motors has always been Government Motors, right? To the second contention; wars. I don't know how you define war but it seems that since the State Dept. began a systematized destabilization of our allies war has actually increased in the past three years. And do you not see the slow, steady march to war that is being drummed into us by government and the media (both right and left)? Or do you really think that Syria is for humanitarian purposes because Assad used chem weapons on his people. Oh wait, imagine that- so did Saddam. Iran? Ever see it in the news? Clearly, its the republicans.

The media is manupliating the public to keep them riled up and screaming about nothing while the government continues to tighten the screws on each and every one of us. Except we don't notice, do we? No, today they tighten the screws on the right and the left cheers, tomorrow vice versa and at the end of the week there are no more screws left to be tightened. We are being split apart on purpose by stories, and the furor they create, on purpose.

Let's see.. the automotive industry bailouts are always smaller, and I hate to point it out they have a MUCH better history of repaying the loans they get. Whereas the BANKS have taken the money and ran. They have bought their way out of criminal offenses and NO ONE (Democrat/GOP) have pushed really hard to get people prosecuted for the obvious fraud that led up to the housing crisis.

'Deregulation' has been the byword of conservatives forever. I've always been more of a fan of Ronald Reagan's 'right sized' government over 'smaller'. It was a bipartisan congress and a democratic president that repealed Glass-Steagell and left us vulnerable to the mayhem of the last decade in the banking industry.

Now with the 'Citizen United' decision freeing corporate purse strings you'll see smear adds from 'non-profits' fronting for big industry. The big money companies, and folks like those lovely scamps the Koch Brothers, will be able to buy ad time with zero accountability or disclosure.

Conservatives use folks like Santorum to get the fringe element, who otherwise wouldn't vote, to back their candidates. Barring a really really NASTY secret in his closet, I see Santorum being a BP.

As for the inference that we destabilized Syria and Iraq.. yeah.. I guess we did. You see back in the cold war... when the US fought the USSR through proxies, we backed them. Along with a lot of other 'aggressor' states. But when we started 'downsizing' government that meant the payola stopped. Without that cash, and the leverage it brought, it was hard to control folks like Saddam (which is why he invaded Kuwait..for real estate and cash)

And fyi.. Subsidies you don't pay back.. Detroit paid off their loans before..and will do it again. I doubt the superbanks will do anything of the sort. And if they could get away with the same 'pass the bill' poison bonds issue they did for YEARS that created the mortgage crisis, they'll do it again.

Santorum is a faceman for the patsies they know will vote for a 'righteous man', one that the monied interests will own.

Of course I see Romney getting the nod instead. He's, by the way, one of 'the money men' himself. His networth, depending on the source, is somewhere upwards of 200+ million.

SilentScreams

The money that we pay in taxes has been flowing out from the government to everyone with a hand out for the past three years. The It's not a right/left thing it's a Washington thing. Regardless of party, as long as they feel that they are our masters the pain will continue. We won't get free of it until we realize how we are being manipulated through the media. That was really the point of my previous post.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: SilentScreams on February 28, 2012, 01:52:26 PM
The money that we pay in taxes has been flowing out from the government to everyone with a hand out for the past three years. The It's not a right/left thing it's a Washington thing. Regardless of party, as long as they feel that they are our masters the pain will continue. We won't get free of it until we realize how we are being manipulated through the media. That was really the point of my previous post.

True.. but unlike the Banks (who got much bigger checks) the GM folks have been bailed out before..and paid back their loans in full, and ahead of time. Whereas the banks on wall street simply took the checks, and moved on. Business as usual. No changes. The automotive companies had in the past had reconfigured their market model and done a lot to fix things. They agreed to revamp their systems again.

Yet, the media and parties treated them like shit, while getting the banks blank checks.

Oniya

Quote from: SilentScreams on February 28, 2012, 01:52:26 PM
The money that we pay in taxes has been flowing out from the government to everyone with a hand out for the past three years.

Except for those people (not corporations) who really need it.  Just ask anyone trying to fight for SSDI. 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on February 28, 2012, 02:38:32 PM
Except for those people (not corporations) who really need it.  Just ask anyone trying to fight for SSDI.

Don't forget the bank settlements for housing relief that at least 3 states are not using the funds to help home owners..

Iniquitous

I think I take offense at the term "hand outs" when applied to people getting money from the government. It's our damn money going into Social Security, not the governments. Of course, try to tell them that when you need it, as Oniya brought up.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Will

Quote from: SilentScreams on February 28, 2012, 01:19:16 PM

It wasn't a comparison between parties.  He didn't say what liberals have or haven't done.  It was a demonstration of hypocrisy on the part of "conservatives."  Pointing out that these things were also done while a Democrat was in the White House doesn't change that in the slightest.

Also, apparently reading JFK's speech on freedom of religion makes Santorum want to throw up.  How eloquent.  And ironic, given my usual reaction to reading anything Santorum ever says.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Will on February 28, 2012, 02:51:12 PM
It wasn't a comparison between parties.  He didn't say what liberals have or haven't done.  It was a demonstration of hypocrisy on the part of "conservatives."  Pointing out that these things were also done while a Democrat was in the White House doesn't change that in the slightest.

Also, apparently reading JFK's speech on freedom of religion makes Santorum want to throw up.  How eloquent.  And ironic, given my usual reaction to reading anything Santorum ever says.

I can't put my finger on any ONE thing that he's said or done.. I just get the slimy weasel vibe when he talks. When he lies or misrepresents things it's not much worse than any other politician stumping for office.. but I get the vibe that he'd be a BAD choice in the White House (as President or Vice President).

Iniquitous

In all honesty, Santorum scares me. Flat out scares me. I really, really want to believe that he was put out there as a distraction or an insurance policy that Obama gets reelected because the alternative thought - that he would be a good president - is just too horrifying.

Avis habilis

Oh, he would be a despicable president. The question is, how many people like his brand of despicable?

Despicability? You know what I mean.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 28, 2012, 03:47:19 PM
In all honesty, Santorum scares me. Flat out scares me. I really, really want to believe that he was put out there as a distraction or an insurance policy that Obama gets reelected because the alternative thought - that he would be a good president - is just too horrifying.

I put him in the same category I put Joe Biden.. 'insurance that the president isn't killed by an assassin.' Joe Biden strikes me as a weasel too. He's laying low and not doing a lot but I know if he's gets the oval office.. we're toast. He's for things like Sopa and anything else that allows his backers to control their IP without a concern about laws or end user's rights.

Iniquitous

I actually talked to my mom about Santorum since both my parents are conservative christians. Thankfully, neither she nor my dad like Santorum (they aren't big on Romney either) and have said they would not vote for him. Dad thinks he is a nut job while Mom just tries to flat out ignore anything he says. But you are right - how many out there believe like he does? How many think the church should govern this country? (Of course, with so many different branches of christianity, that would open a whole other can of worms - primarily, which branch?)

All I know is if he gets elected, I want to start looking further north for a new home. A lot further north.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 28, 2012, 04:04:39 PM
I actually talked to my mom about Santorum since both my parents are conservative christians. Thankfully, neither she nor my dad like Santorum (they aren't big on Romney either) and have said they would not vote for him. Dad thinks he is a nut job while Mom just tries to flat out ignore anything he says. But you are right - how many out there believe like he does? How many think the church should govern this country? (Of course, with so many different branches of christianity, that would open a whole other can of worms - primarily, which branch?)

All I know is if he gets elected, I want to start looking further north for a new home. A lot further north.

Ironically.. some of the UBER fundie conservatives I know won't vote for him.. He's Roman Catholic. (They still worry about the Pope controlling the US. what can I say? Froth at the brain types still exist)

Oniya

http://news.yahoo.com/santorum-focuses-reaching-women-adviser-says-macgyver-campaign-050602438--abc-news.html

I really wish he hadn't brought MacGyver into it.  I'm tempted to write to Richard Dean Anderson to see if he'll tell Santorum to take a flying leap.

Avis habilis

Quote from: Oniya on February 29, 2012, 07:48:51 AM
I really wish he hadn't brought MacGyver into it.  I'm tempted to write to Richard Dean Anderson to see if he'll tell Santorum to take a flying leap.

Anderson fought hard to get a sequence included in one episode that revealed that Mac's fear of guns stemmed from seeing a friend accidentally shot dead as a teen. I doubt he would be happy to see the character appropriated by the "Second Amendment Is The Only One That Counts" set.

Iniquitous

I LoL'd at his attempt to pander to women. Very nearly choked on my coffee I laughed so hard. But then I remembered he is still in the race and I wanted to cry because I truly do fear that there are enough idjits out there that will vote him in.

vtboy

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on February 29, 2012, 09:35:45 AM
I LoL'd at his attempt to pander to women. Very nearly choked on my coffee I laughed so hard. But then I remembered he is still in the race and I wanted to cry because I truly do fear that there are enough idjits out there that will vote him in.

Well, that's the real problem, isn't it? We, the People, might get the government we deserve.

I continue to harbor serious doubts that the founders of our republic would have gone to the trouble had they forseen this incarnation of popular democracy.

Avis habilis

Quote from: vtboy on February 29, 2012, 11:48:01 AM
Well, that's the real problem, isn't it? We, the People, might get the government we deserve.

Or rather that all of us end up with the government that only some of us deserve.

Will

Or most of us, by definition (quirks of the electoral college notwithstanding).
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: Will on February 29, 2012, 02:47:28 PM
Or most of us, by definition (quirks of the electoral college notwithstanding).

For sufficiently limited definitions of 'most'.  Remember to vote if you can!

gaggedLouise

But if he's too much for even many hardline conservative Christians, then surely he can't ever garner a majority at the national elections in November? Just like Palin, he would push off too many republican voters. Even if he were nominated, I really don't believe he could get enough people to hold their noses and say "okay, he's a nut, but if he can get Obama out, then it's all right!"

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: gaggedLouise on February 29, 2012, 10:11:20 PM
But if he's too much for even many hardline conservative Christians, then surely he can't ever garner a majority at the national elections in November? Just like Palin, he would push off too many republican voters. Even if he were nominated, I really don't believe he could get enough people to hold their noses and say "okay, he's a nut, but if he can get Obama out, then it's all right!"

Actually most of the ones I've heard it's the other way. "I'd rather a republican be in office, but against Santorum.. I'd vote Obama. he's the lesser evil"

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on February 29, 2012, 10:18:44 PM
Actually most of the ones I've heard it's the other way. "I'd rather a republican be in office, but against Santorum.. I'd vote Obama. he's the lesser evil"

Yeah, I think Bachmann had the same effect on many GOP voters in her failed bid for the senate. She had ousted a more sensible candidate, and went down solidly herself because she was a no-vote even to many who would have preferred her side.

Sel Nar

As a foreign national (Look north. See me waving?), I can safely say that the double meaning of Santorum's name is particularly apt. Because, no matter who wins, someone's going end up well and solidly buttfucked. It's just a question of duration.

Oniya

Actually, the double meaning was a deliberate Google-bombing by Dan Savage that started in the Savage Love column on May 29, 2003.  I hear that people are trying to do the same sort of thing after hearing about how Mitt Romney transported the family dog (on the roof of the car, in its carrier  The poor thing 'romneyed' down the back window).

Sel Nar

Honestly, given the choice between Santorum and Romney, I'd be morally obliged to punch both of them, then go have a shower to wash the slimy feeling off of my hitting hand.

TheGlyphstone

I regret my decision to vote Elder Party this election less and less every day.

Zakharra

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 02, 2012, 10:13:32 AM
I regret my decision to vote Elder Party this election less and less every day.

You mean Cthulhu and that stuff?  If you are going to vote, could you at least write in someone who could actually sit in office, and not some fictional thing?

No offense intended. I can kind of understand why people write in Mickey Mouse and other fictional characters/people, but none of them could actually take the office if they won. Certainly not a fictional god blob.. thing. I'm not sure what to call the cthulhu mythos. It just seems that if you do that, it's like not voting since the vote is to someone/thing that doesn't exist.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Zakharra on March 03, 2012, 10:42:12 AM
You mean Cthulhu and that stuff?  If you are going to vote, could you at least write in someone who could actually sit in office, and not some fictional thing?

No offense intended. I can kind of understand why people write in Mickey Mouse and other fictional characters/people, but none of them could actually take the office if they won. Certainly not a fictional god blob.. thing. I'm not sure what to call the cthulhu mythos. It just seems that if you do that, it's like not voting since the vote is to someone/thing that doesn't exist.

Which is the point - I despise every person running for office regardless of party line, and refuse to give any of them what might be the pivotal vote. It's a non-vote that gives me amusement in the process, so at least one person walks out happy.

Sabby

I think it should be a random draw. Each month, a citizen is randomly selected.

What? If your guna ruin your country, hurry up >.< I have a schedule to keep.

Oniya

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 03, 2012, 11:14:00 AM
Which is the point - I despise every person running for office regardless of party line, and refuse to give any of them what might be the pivotal vote. It's a non-vote that gives me amusement in the process, so at least one person walks out happy.

You could always write yourself in (assuming you fit the standard qualifications of 35 years old and a natural-born citizen). 

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2012, 12:28:45 PM
You could always write yourself in (assuming you fit the standard qualifications of 35 years old and a natural-born citizen).

Even if I did meet those requirements, why the hell would I want that thankless job? :-\

Oniya

Do you honestly think you'd get enough votes to win?  *cocks an eyebrow*

Sabby

You could if you got a name change. Mickey Mouse gets a lot of votes.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Oniya on March 03, 2012, 12:33:53 PM
Do you honestly think you'd get enough votes to win?  *cocks an eyebrow*

It's a risk I'm not willing to take. There's always the slim possibility that it could end up like the scene in Pirates of the Carribean 3, where everyone votes for themselves except for the one candidate who gets 2 votes.

Iniquitous

Weeeeeell.... if you need an incentive to write your own name in there is always the fact that those who serve as president get paid $191,000.00 for the rest of their life.

TheGlyphstone

That's a nice pension plan, but you have to survive four years in the slot first. I'd be a basket case after two.

This is a little off-topic (not that being on-topic is any better, considering who the topic is). Does this warrant a split-off thread, something along the lines of 'would you want to be president'?

Samael

QuoteThere are 18,000 married gay and lesbian couples in California and at least 131,000 nationwide according to the 2010 census, conducted before New York state legalized same-sex marriage in July.

Rick Santorum says he'll try to unmarry all of them if he's elected president.

Once the U.S. Constitution is amended to prohibit same-gender marriages, "their marriage would be invalid," the former Pennsylvania senator said Dec. 30 in an NBC News interview.

"We can't have 50 different marriage laws in this country," he said. "You have to have one marriage law."

The comments didn't attract nearly as much attention as Santorum's recent invocation of his Catholic faith to denounce government support for birth control, prenatal testing and resource conservation - which, in the last case, he attributed to President Obama's "phony theology."
QuoteSantorum, who once practiced law, hasn't said how he would draft a constitutional amendment - or how he could get one passed even while opinion polls suggest increasing public acceptance of same-sex marriage.

"Just because public opinion says something doesn't mean it's right," he said in the NBC interview. "I'm sure there were times in areas of this country when people said blacks were less than human."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/03/MN3Q1N9EV9.DTL

I'm at a loss of words.
No, wait, I have a few words, but I think they would be too strong for even E.

What the hell is wrong with this guy?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Samael on March 04, 2012, 12:43:48 AM

I think the correct phrasing is 'what the heaven is wrong with this guy'.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on March 04, 2012, 12:43:48 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/03/03/MN3Q1N9EV9.DTL

I'm at a loss of words.
No, wait, I have a few words, but I think they would be too strong for even E.

The phrase that comes to mind, pardoning my crude sailor vocabulary, is 'crazy as a shit house rat'.

He is totally trapped in the fifties. If he's on the ticket, the GOP has lost California, maybe New York, and he will only continue to alienate the moderates. I hope the president sends the GOP a thank you card if this idiot gets on the ticket. Cause if he does there is no way in hell the GOP will win the white house this time around.

vtboy

Callie Del Noire

It occurs to me.. if Santorum pushes this on the Federal Level, he's opening a MASSIVE precedent battle. I mean.. Federal vs States.. he's going to alienate a LOT of conservatives in ofice.

Trieste

I imagine he would get a hell of a battle, and I think that most of Congress would not back him up. My first response is along the lines of, "You want to come into MY state and enforce YOUR religion on MY fellow citizens without OUR consent? Fuck you, buddy, and your white horse, too."

If that's my response and my state's same-sex marriage laws are the result of a judicial ruling, I can only imagine the states that legalized it by referendum would have a stronger response.

Callie Del Noire

Yeah.. a lot of the more conservative libertarians won't like the Feds interferring that closely..and the states rights advocates will come crawling out of the wood work at the implications. I mean.. if you force something..that far out there as a federal mandate..there are a LOT of state legislated things that will be challenged.

Lets see.. Medicinal Marijuana for one. I'm sure that other things will come up if I think about it.

Trieste

Well, not only that but it's extremely difficult to get a law applied ex post facto like that. For example, if there is no law against breaking and entering where you are, and you break into a house and steal some shit, then the local government passes a law against breaking and entering, they can't then come and arrest you for it. You can't commit a crime before it's a crime. The case with marriage gets murkier, especially if there are no penalties proposed, because it would be a civil matter that didn't intend to cause measurable harm to the subjects (although having your marriage suddenly dissolved because some jackass got elected into the White House on the basis of a crusade against you could be construed as harm).

Marriage is a civil matter, so it wouldn't be unconstitutional to pass one, but it would still be damned hard.

Serephino

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on March 04, 2012, 06:07:04 PM
It occurs to me.. if Santorum pushes this on the Federal Level, he's opening a MASSIVE precedent battle. I mean.. Federal vs States.. he's going to alienate a LOT of conservatives in ofice.

Probably what would happen is the same thing that happened when Bush tried.  The states gave him the middle finger, and a few of them even made same sex marriage legal right after that.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 04, 2012, 10:50:30 PM

Probably what would happen is the same thing that happened when Bush tried.  The states gave him the middle finger, and a few of them even made same sex marriage legal right after that.

Thing is.. the idiot isn't looking at the precedent he's setting. There is a LOT of things that are legal in one side that are questionable/illegal on the other. Like medicinal marijuana. You are going to have a LOT of state's Governors and Attorney Generals screaming at this one.

Callie Del Noire

I've been listening and trying to see the appeal this guy has. He reminds me of Dan Quayle, all flash no substance. And what comes out of his mouth scares me. He's promising the world, and I can't see anyway he can pull off even 1/4 he promises.

Of course, I've also been thinking about 4 years down the line.. I fail to see ANYONE remotely rational will step up to the plate. The media has scared away anyone who seems rational.

Sabby

Santorum's War on Porn

The perfect way to absolutely skullfuck your chances.

Pumpkin Seeds

In a time of economic crisis, global warfare and social upheaval....he chooses porn as his place to make a stand. 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sabby on March 17, 2012, 03:43:00 PM
Santorum's War on Porn

The perfect way to absolutely skullfuck your chances.

Not to mention that if he bans all that rampant disgusting porn, think of the hit to the economy. Something like 400 films a year are made by Hollywood, and something like 11,000 pornos are made a year.

vtboy

A few more i.q. points and this guy could be a hockey score.

By the way, has anyone figured out what time warp this guy came out of?  The thinking is clearly pre-15th century, but the clothes are strictly Ozzie & Harriet (1950s, for all you kids out there).

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: vtboy on March 17, 2012, 04:39:21 PM
A few more i.q. points and this guy could be a hockey score.

By the way, has anyone figured out what time warp this guy came out of?  The thinking is clearly pre-15th century, but the clothes are strictly Ozzie & Harriet (1950s, for all you kids out there).
[sarcasm]
Yeah.. he's a good  man of faith though..
[/sarcasm]
no birth control, no porn, I'm sure he'll be  a fun president. (FYI.. it gives me gut a twist to listen to him speak now..he really scares me.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

ShadowFox89

Just thought I'd throw this tidbit out here....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/16/10721342-porn-industry-to-rick-santorum-butt-out

Quote"Santorum, a former Pennsylvania senator who is trying to woo social conservatives, says on his presidential campaign website that if elected he will hire an attorney general who will “vigorously” enforce federal obscenity laws curtailing distribution of hardcore porn.
He also says that studies have shown porn causes brain changes in adults and children, and that every family should be concerned about its harmful effects."

I like this suggestion

QuoteHirsch suggests making a deal with Santorum: “We will stay out of his church, and he will stay out of our bedrooms."
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Vodka

Santorum actually won the primary in my state. As a cynical liberal living in the South, I put up with a lot of stupidity, but the notion that my fellow statesmen would actually vote for this guy fills me with rage, fury, and all sorts of loathing.

Needless to say, every person I meet, I now secretly question in the back of my head as to whether or not they're a Santorum supporter. Disgusting.
ON+OFF
IDEAS+ROLES

just let me fall out of the window with confetti in my hair

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Vodka on March 18, 2012, 07:45:09 AM
Santorum actually won the primary in my state. As a cynical liberal living in the South, I put up with a lot of stupidity, but the notion that my fellow statesmen would actually vote for this guy fills me with rage, fury, and all sorts of loathing.

Needless to say, every person I meet, I now secretly question in the back of my head as to whether or not they're a Santorum supporter. Disgusting.

Try being a moderate republican in the south. We are regarded by the party with even less respect than you. If you don't toe the party line, you're something JUST above what one would scrape off a shoe. God forbid you back increasing taxes and mention that Ronnie Reagan did just that.  For some reason, even those who don't benefit have drunk the kook aid on capital gains and estate taxes despite a decade of proof to the contrary. 

Serephino

I got an email a month or so ago from some organization wanting to know what I remember of Santorum being my representative.  I honestly don't remember much since I think he hasn't been in office for a while.  Still, May is about a month and a half a way, and knowing PA politics as I do, there's some reason he isn't our Senator anymore.  I just can't remember what it is.  I don't know if it's apathy, or loyalty, or what... but most representatives, governors, what have you, keep their seats until they retire, or piss a lot of people off in this state.

Oniya

The campaign was apparently juicy enough to merit its own Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_United_States_Senate_election,_2006#Campaign

Among other things, Santorum had spent barely a month living in his home district, and enrolled his children in a Pennsylvania-based online school that the Penn Hills School district had to pay tuition for, while they resided in Virginia.

vtboy

Quote from: Serephino on March 19, 2012, 02:55:03 AM
I got an email a month or so ago from some organization wanting to know what I remember of Santorum being my representative.  I honestly don't remember much since I think he hasn't been in office for a while.  Still, May is about a month and a half a way, and knowing PA politics as I do, there's some reason he isn't our Senator anymore.  I just can't remember what it is.  I don't know if it's apathy, or loyalty, or what... but most representatives, governors, what have you, keep their seats until they retire, or piss a lot of people off in this state.

He must have been too progressive for PA voters.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on March 19, 2012, 03:08:04 AM
The campaign was apparently juicy enough to merit its own Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_United_States_Senate_election,_2006#Campaign

Among other things, Santorum had spent barely a month living in his home district, and enrolled his children in a Pennsylvania-based online school that the Penn Hills School district had to pay tuition for, while they resided in Virginia.

Well this shows what type of nastiness will come our way if he's chosen for the GOP ticket.

Serephino

Quote from: vtboy on March 19, 2012, 05:37:52 AM
He must have been too progressive for PA voters.

I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.  The GOP is trying to get rid of my district completely while drawing the new lines because our Rep has been a Democrat since before I was born I think.  It was the same guy until he died a few years ago, then one of the guys on his staff ran and won.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 02:42:51 AM
I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.  The GOP is trying to get rid of my district completely while drawing the new lines because our Rep has been a Democrat since before I was born I think.  It was the same guy until he died a few years ago, then one of the guys on his staff ran and won.

You're going to get a lot of that this year.. it's the election year after a census.. lots of Gerrymandering going on.

Serephino

Yeah, I've heard they're trying to do it in pretty much every state that lost Reps.  So far the State Supreme Court is blocking it.

Torch

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 02:42:51 AM
I'm wondering if I should take offense to that....  I always vote.  And actually, this is a split state.  Some counties are liberal, while others are conservative.

Pennsylvania can be most easily described like this: Philadelphia at one end of the state, Pittsburgh at the other, and Alabama in the middle.  ::)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 20, 2012, 09:27:19 PM
Yeah, I've heard they're trying to do it in pretty much every state that lost Reps.  So far the State Supreme Court is blocking it.

Oh.. both sides are doing it..

For example, North Carolina is typically Democrat dominated.. just PRIOR to the Dems losing out big to the GOP, they ignored the GOP's requests for a bipartisan panel to draw up districts. Cold.

The for the first time since the reconstruction the GOP gets control of both houses and they are screaming for bipartisan planning now that the boot is on the other foot.

I've been watching stuff in Florida and a few other states I've lived in.. they are ALL playing dirty these days.

Kuje

It's going on up here in Upstate NY. Rochester has just been split in half at the UofR campus, giving half the city to a guy that lives in Buffalo. Uh, hello, Buffalo is TWO hours away almost.

Samael

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on March 24, 2012, 02:17:16 AM
Is this even legal?
'Obamaville'

Reminds me of the anti-Goldwater ads from the 64 election. Nothing fearmongering.

Serephino

I am so sick of the fear-mongering!  *screams*  The last big election two years ago was nothing but negative ads.  Seriously, there should be other ways of voicing displeasure than letters that are mostly ignored.  I sign petitions and send emails, getting responses that are nothing but bullshit propaganda.  I'm not an idiot; I see right through it.  Hell, my cat could a better job than these pea-brained fucktards.  /rant 

TheGlyphstone

Make it a feature-length film, stick an R rating on it, and it could almost be an entry in the Silent Hill franchise. Would probably make its production cost back too. :D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Serephino on March 24, 2012, 02:52:22 AM
I am so sick of the fear-mongering!  *screams*  The last big election two years ago was nothing but negative ads.  Seriously, there should be other ways of voicing displeasure than letters that are mostly ignored.  I sign petitions and send emails, getting responses that are nothing but bullshit propaganda.  I'm not an idiot; I see right through it.  Hell, my cat could a better job than these pea-brained fucktards.  /rant 

I agree, but till we eliminate the chorus line of litmus tests our candidates must go through on the party level, the intense scrutiny the media puts them through that no rational man will put his family through, and reform campaign finance to the point that less than fifty people can out spend the entire 2004 & 2004 presidential campaigns already, we are not going to get leaders worth a crap. I'm tired of using the term 'lesser evil' in my decisions for president. Most of the men and women who COULD be good leaders WONT run or can't because of the chorus line of special interests within the party hacking them up or a desire to not have their personal lives and/or family scrutinized.

John McCain kept his daughter by adoption out of the limelight in a desire to let her have a normal life. Some party members tried to say she was his daughter out of wedlock. Colin Powell won't run impart due to the fact that his wife has issues he doesnt want te media to aggravate with constant bombardment and harrying.

Rinzler

Quote from: Samael on March 24, 2012, 02:17:16 AM
Is this even legal?
'Obamaville'

Holy shit - and is it just me, or has that ad been designed to play on latent Islamophobia??

On a lighter note, Harry Enfield once did a supreme pisstake of these kind of scaremongering political ads. For the record, the British Labour party is (very) roughly equivalent to the Democrats, whilst the Conservatives are kind of like the Republicans:

Harry Enfield - "L Is For Labour"

Callie Del Noire

http://www.chicagonow.com/when-you-put-it-that-way/2012/03/santorum-utters-the-beginning-of-the-n-word-now-can-he-go-away/

Did Santorum almost call Obama the N word?

(granted the looping at the end of this section is a bit over the top.)

Question is.. did Santorum ALMOST use the N-bomb? and if so why is there almost no NATIONAL level coverage. I see papers like the Guardian in the UK covering it.. but none of the big US ones.

Samael

English isn't my native language, so take that with a grain of salt, but it sure as hell did sound like.
Why the hell is he even still up for nomination?

Starlequin

Because there's a whole lot of people still sippin' on the Romney-flavored Haterade, thinking that one is actually better than the other.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Trieste

I'm extremely skeptical. Santorum is an idiot, and I don't think he's exactly Mr. Equality Sunshine, but I have a very, very hard time believing that the slip was due to nearly calling the President a racial slur by accident. The GOP candidates have been campaigning for months, they have been going non-stop, and as we get closer to the convention it will only get worse. I've been known to stumble over my words when I'm tired, and I know it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Santorum, but I'd rather loathe him for the policies I know he supports, rather than speculation on a word he didn't even say.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Samael on March 31, 2012, 07:43:19 PM
English isn't my native language, so take that with a grain of salt, but it sure as hell did sound like.
Why the hell is he even still up for nomination?

Because he's won most of the south because the PTL Club/700 club/ect types think he will roll life back to a more Christian outlook. Personally I think he's soaking up delegates to be VP rather than let Romney pick another southern politician who might be able to think and chew without pissing off the moderates.

Because I can promise you this. Without the moderates, Romney will lose BIG. Santorum running would most likely look like Mondale vs Reagan in reverse, except I don't think he'd get DC or his Homestate

Solstice

Quote from: Trieste on March 31, 2012, 08:13:01 PM
I'm extremely skeptical. Santorum is an idiot, and I don't think he's exactly Mr. Equality Sunshine, but I have a very, very hard time believing that the slip was due to nearly calling the President a racial slur by accident. The GOP candidates have been campaigning for months, they have been going non-stop, and as we get closer to the convention it will only get worse. I've been known to stumble over my words when I'm tired, and I know it's not uncommon.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Santorum, but I'd rather loathe him for the policies I know he supports, rather than speculation on a word he didn't even say.

I would like to echo this sentiment.

I very strongly dislike Santorum, both because I am vehemently opposed to many aspects of his ideology, and because I think his espoused policies are of the worst sort. I have enough reason to never remotely consider supporting him in any fashion, and enough distaste for what I perceive as his narrow-minded and bigoted outlook, that I'd rather keep criticism of him to the facts.

Frankly, holding a slip-up like that against him makes the case 'against Santorum' (so to speak) flimsier; there's enough to go on without bringing "Also, he maybe was going to say X" into the equation.

Also, the spell check apparently thinks that Santorum is an error.

I suppose I'll have to agree with it in that regard.

EDIT'd: Typo correction.
Apoloies & Absences - Updated 11/16/2014 - Around and available? Hopefully?

Callie Del Noire

True.. but I see the policitally 'offended' crowd jumping on things like this in a hairy heart beat. Which gives me the thought that someone has been circulating 'edited' footage.

Cythieus

The Obamaville thing had me cracking up. I love how this kind of stuff gets put out there as if its truth and that's how the world looks right now. Obama's done more to stop terrorism than Bush ever did, Iran's status as nuclear has nothing to do with us other than Bush attacking Iraq probably inspired them, the economy has been getting better, despite the gas prices (which had been nearly this high before) and freedom of religion's only suffering where Republicans had tried to stomp out non-Christians.

Santorum is crazy though and the reason why candidates like Rick Perry had to pull out of the race is that despite him being an evil asshole, even he wasn't able to go as far right as they wanted.

Tiberius

^^ True ever since Obama. Cameron in the UK and Rudd/Gillard in Australia were voted into office the war on terror made significant progress. It was the Coalition forces of US/UK/Australia that in the last three years made major breakthroughs in cleaning up Afghanistan. And it was an American strike team under the supervision of Obama and his Military advisors that finally disposed of the mastermind.

And honestly I live half way around the world and Santorum scares the fuck out of me, that guy is so radical and that he's actually gaining support, is bloody scary.

Torch

Quote from: Tiberius on April 05, 2012, 09:09:05 AM
And honestly I live half way around the world and Santorum scares the fuck out of me, that guy is so radical and that he's actually gaining support, is bloody scary.

No reason to be scared. The popular support Santorum may have does not translate into delegates.

The current delegate count shows Romney well on his way to winning the nomination. Santorum is quickly becoming irrelevant.

The "magic number" is 1144. Romney has (as of this morning) 658 delegates, Santorum has 281.

Romney also has 36 superdelegates, Santorum has only 2.

All the hoopla surrounding Santorum will be over in a month or so. Just wait it out.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 05, 2012, 09:20:40 AM
No reason to be scared. The popular support Santorum may have does not translate into delegates.

The current delegate count shows Romney well on his way to winning the nomination. Santorum is quickly becoming irrelevant.

The "magic number" is 1144. Romney has (as of this morning) 658 delegates, Santorum has 281.

Romney also has 36 superdelegates, Santorum has only 2.

All the hoopla surrounding Santorum will be over in a month or so. Just wait it out.

Don't bet on it. He has enough now that, given which states he won, that the party leadership will push him for VP consideration. Santorum is strong down south where Romney isn't, there will be a push to use him to fill those gaps. Rightly or wrongly. Personally I'd look for a popular moderate type to hedge the moderate republicans like myself but everything I've seen in the last 15 years out of the party makes me think they won't consider that.  Rather than work, consider compromise and listening to reform minded moderates they will continue to let the corporate interests and religious extreme right lead the party by the nose. Why chase a goose you don't have when you got two smaller ones already locked in the shed?

Got to say that at least the party STAYs bought.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 05, 2012, 10:17:06 AM
Don't bet on it. He has enough now that, given which states he won, that the party leadership will push him for VP consideration. Santorum is strong down south where Romney isn't, there will be a push to use him to fill those gaps. Rightly or wrongly. Personally I'd look for a popular moderate type to hedge the moderate republicans like myself but everything I've seen in the last 15 years out of the party makes me think they won't consider that.  Rather than work, consider compromise and listening to reform minded moderates they will continue to let the corporate interests and religious extreme right lead the party by the nose. Why chase a goose you don't have when you got two smaller ones already locked in the shed?

Got to say that at least the party STAYs bought.

My personal observation is that the RNC won't make the same mistake they made in 2008. They picked a VP candidate (Palin) who became an utter distraction from the campaign. From her personal life to the intellectual gaffes, everything about her overshadowed the real issues.

They won't chance that this time, and picking Santorum as a VP would bring the same result. He'd be a distraction.

My guess is they will appeal to the fastest growing segment of voters (i.e. Hispanics) and look to Sen. Marco Rubio from Florida, or Gov. Susana Martinez from NM, both conservative Hispanics.

On's and Off's

Trieste

Avis habilis

I think it's only the recent ravening nativism/xenophobia that makes it seem that way. There are plenty of business-oriented, anti-regulation, military fan, social conservative Latino people out there.

If Santorum hadn't shot himself in the los ambos pies with that line of bull about making English the official language of Puerto Rico he would go over like gangbusters with part of that demographic.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 05, 2012, 10:52:28 AM
My personal observation is that the RNC won't make the same mistake they made in 2008. They picked a VP candidate (Palin) who became an utter distraction from the campaign. From her personal life to the intellectual gaffes, everything about her overshadowed the real issues.

They won't chance that this time, and picking Santorum as a VP would bring the same result. He'd be a distraction.

My guess is they will appeal to the fastest growing segment of voters (i.e. Hispanics) and look to Sen. Marco Rubio from Florida, or Gov. Susana Martinez from NM, both conservative Hispanics.

Rubio won't accept it. He's already, and repeatedly, said that. I'm not sure Martinez will accept it either, having said the same thing in at least 1 event I saw on TV if I recall rightly . I think she's the better choice of the two since Rubio has pretty much broken every promise he's made to the voters since he's been elected.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 05, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
Rubio won't accept it. He's already, and repeatedly, said that. I'm not sure Martinez will accept it either, having said the same thing in at least 1 event I saw on TV if I recall rightly . I think she's the better choice of the two since Rubio has pretty much broken every promise he's made to the voters since he's been elected.

Oh, I know his public statements have been that he won't run as VP. But the party leadership still considers him the front-runner, nonetheless.

They could also go with either Gov. Bobby Jindal or Gov. Chris Christie, but either of those choices wouldn't go over as well as the first two I mentioned, not nationally anyway.

On's and Off's

Torch

Quote from: Avis habilis on April 05, 2012, 11:10:41 AM
I think it's only the recent ravening nativism/xenophobia that makes it seem that way. There are plenty of business-oriented, anti-regulation, military fan, social conservative Latino people out there.

*nods* Having lived for seven years in a city which had a Latino majority population (San Antonio, TX), I can definitely agree with this.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 05, 2012, 11:18:26 AM
Oh, I know his public statements have been that he won't run as VP. But the party leadership still considers him the front-runner, nonetheless.

They could also go with either Gov. Bobby Jindal or Gov. Chris Christie, but either of those choices wouldn't go over as well as the first two I mentioned, not nationally anyway.

Christie is possible for the same reasons as Rubio.. Florida has been THE swing state in the last three elections and looks to be again. Jindal I'm not so sure of.

I get the feeling that both Rubio and Martinez are serious about their disclaimers as they strike me as the type to see that they won't get much of a say in things and neither strikes me as a 'passive VP'. That and I seriously doubt that Romney can pull things off and they think the same thing.

Tamhansen

I guess Sanorum's chances hinge on what our good friend mister pota... ehhm newt gingrich does. Basically if Romney doesnt get a win in time for Tampa, Gingrich could cast his lot with Santorum in exchange for the ticket bottom, I really hope for a Santorum/Gingrich run. It's almost as much of a sure loss as Michelle "Watch out for the rise of the Soviet Union" Bachmann was. 
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

TheGlyphstone

Yeah, this is looking like a repeat of the 2004 election, but in reverse. There, it was George W. and the Republicans who were the leading party, but it was still a situation of the opposing team being completely unable to get their act together and present a credible+consistent opponent, giving the incumbent both genuine support and status quo/voter apathy in their favor.

Callie Del Noire

Gingrich won't get the nod from Santorum. They have similar voter pools. You won't get the dynamic you need with that. A Romney/Ginrich ticket would be more likely .. and I don't see that happening. The race has been so divisive I don't see ANY candidate taking the VP nod from one of the rivals.

Cythieus

The thing is that Santorum is scary to moderates, so they won't consider him for the nomination as VP.

ShadowFox89

You say that as if moderates matter.....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Cythieus

We're a country o people in the middle.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 06, 2012, 03:23:41 AM
You say that as if moderates matter.....

Moderates are why Obama is president. If McCain had a sensible VP choice that appealed to more moderates rather than a religious soccer mom turned Govenor he might have come closer.

BCdan

I was listening to someone say that they are voting for Santorum partially to fight back against the gradual libertarian takeover of the Republican party.  Which was kinda surprising to me.  I consider myself a libertarian and had never seen someone acknowledge the libertarian push to assume more power within the GOP openly like that.  And it is very true, a lot of libertarians know that a third party rising in the US is nearly impossible because of our voting system, so there is a huge push to get more libertarian leaning Republicans in control of the party and to put pressure on the party from the outside through the libertarian party. 

I think this video sums it up I feel some serious Deja Vu posting this here, did I post this before?

CHD - The GOP's Millennial Problem

~I enjoy random PM's~

Callie Del Noire

My take on the GOP is that there is a 'ruling board' in the party that has been 'in the game' since the Nixon era (folks like Cheney and such) who don't want to move aside to let the younger folk move in to held out and take the party into the next century. I saw a bit of this with my brother's attempt at running for office. The state party was all 'you need to get him to run for state senate/rep/county office.' but he went for higher than that and suddenly it was 'you know he's got no experience in state political circles' and when I pointed out he'd been on of the GOP electoral reps for the last 3 national conventions and the one of the electoral reps for the national election for TWO cycles they brushed that aside.

I also noticed that most of the people that were against him running for office were guys in their late 60s+ and had been 'in game' since I heard the words 'Watergate' on TV as a six year old. They wanted 'sheep-people' not younger new leaders. The idea that they might need to look for 'new core' for the party isn't in their heads. You mention that you could care less about 'social issues' than 'job issues' and the old guys get twitchy. They've banked on the religious right for so long the idea of CHANGING has vanished.

The few genuine 'small/right sized' government thinkers don't stand out when they brush aside social issues as 'not as important'. One of the reasons why the party leadership has failed to see how useful Ron Paul could be in regaining ground with the younger voter and those of us who  don't see a need to regulate what goes on in the bedroom is that they don't want to venture into the waters he's saying they need to.

He's right. And people who prove themselves right tend to not be welcomed by the establishment.

Cythieus

True, if you wanted a libertarian why not support Ron Paul.

Tamhansen

isn't being a libertarian about supporting noone but yourself and yours? :P

But supporting Ron paul is a rather wasted vote isn't it. i mean the chances of him winning are astronomical.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Katataban on April 07, 2012, 06:35:26 AM
isn't being a libertarian about supporting noone but yourself and yours? :P

But supporting Ron paul is a rather wasted vote isn't it. i mean the chances of him winning are astronomical.

The same could have been said of Truman when Dewey ran against him.  Yet he won. Voting for Ron Paul might not put him in the White House but it shows that there is a growing segment of the GOP who, while fiscally conservative, aren't as tied up over socially conservative issues as the main thread of the party. 

Party leadership has head their head in the sand over the issue of moderates who don't want to legislating the social issues, who are truly worried about the influence of big business and are being tired of being ignored or sneered at.

I'm personally tired of voting for the lesser evil or seeing straw men that any idiot knows won't get elected getting pushed forward. Santorum has a better chance of getting by a train than getting elected. Romney in many ways will be 4 more years of Bush 2.0 where your investments count more than anything else. 

BCdan

Ron Paul doesn't have to win to have an influence.  If he goes to the national convention with a lot of supporters and delegates, he can steer the debate a certain way.  If more libertarians get elected to all levels of government, then they get more control within the GOP.  Its not about the 2012 elections, its about the longer term shift away from authoritarianism to libertarianism. 

Quoteisn't being a libertarian about supporting noone but yourself and yours?

Libertarianism is about the non-aggression principle.  Never using violence, the threat of violence or fraud to make other people do what you want.

~I enjoy random PM's~

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BCdan on April 07, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
Ron Paul doesn't have to win to have an influence.  If he goes to the national convention with a lot of supporters and delegates, he can steer the debate a certain way.  If more libertarians get elected to all levels of government, then they get more control within the GOP.  Its not about the 2012 elections, its about the longer term shift away from authoritarianism to libertarianism. 

Libertarianism is about the non-aggression principle.  Never using violence, the threat of violence or fraud to make other people do what you want.

I hope you're right BCdan.. one of the points of Libertarianism I disagree with is the 'isolationist' attitude they have BUT that is a matter of degrees rather than abosultues.I don't think we should be hiring mercs to do a job in other countries.. I disliked the 'corporate rebuilding' of Iraq and my opinion is that we could have handled Saddam better than outright invasion. Not to mention it distracted from the more important issues in Afganistan. (The Taliban was a threat to the security of Pakistan..and still is. Had we focused on them.. we might not be worried about them getting access to a Nuclear government.) Indian and US intelligence both fear there is a very sympathetic element within Pakistan that is open to the Taliban.

I really would like Ron to kick the party in it's (metaphorical) ass and make them listen to the fact that social issues are costing them too much and that a lot of the Party's future voters are feeling ignored. I, given the party's past behavior, regretfully doubt it.

BCdan

Libertarians are not isolationist, they are non-interventionist.  Isolationism tends to mean complete non-involvement with the rest of the world.  Non-interventionist means no military involvement with the world or 'entangling alliances' with aggressive countries that may attempt to drag us into a war.  We can still have free trade with other countries and defend ourselves directly.  I personally think the US foreign policy has made a lot more problems for us that it has solved, especially during the cold war when a lot of middle eastern dictatorships were propped up in the name of fighting communism, like the Shah of Iran.

~I enjoy random PM's~

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: BCdan on April 07, 2012, 01:57:55 PM
Libertarians are not isolationist, they are non-interventionist.  Isolationism tends to mean complete non-involvement with the rest of the world.  Non-interventionist means no military involvement with the world or 'entangling alliances' with aggressive countries that may attempt to drag us into a war.  We can still have free trade with other countries and defend ourselves directly.  I personally think the US foreign policy has made a lot more problems for us that it has solved, especially during the cold war when a lot of middle eastern dictatorships were propped up in the name of fighting communism, like the Shah of Iran.

Agreed on the last bit. There is a LOT of issues that we (and certain European countries) created by the fact that we never went further than 'He is anti-communist.. so we'll back him no matter what.'. If they (the politicians of the time) could have gotten the Ayatollah aimed against the russians.. they would have backed him.

Torch

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 01:30:30 PM
Aaaaaand.....it didn't even take a month. I love it when I'm right.  :P

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57411949-503544/rick-santorum-ending-bid-for-gop-nomination/

He's suspending.. not ending.  That means if he and his spin doctors can find leverage with this.. he can rush back in and 'save the day'. The problem is.. he's made some SERIOUS gaffs in the press and that can slow it down. If his staff finds a way to keep Romney under the magic number of delegates..he'll jump back in and leverage his delegates into a VP slot.

Till he actually bows out, or drops dead, he's not gone.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 10, 2012, 01:59:15 PM
He's suspending.. not ending.  That means if he and his spin doctors can find leverage with this.. he can rush back in and 'save the day'. The problem is.. he's made some SERIOUS gaffs in the press and that can slow it down. If his staff finds a way to keep Romney under the magic number of delegates..he'll jump back in and leverage his delegates into a VP slot.

Till he actually bows out, or drops dead, he's not gone.

Not going to happen. He won't be offered a VP slot, and he doesn't have the financial backing that Romney does to stay in long-term. The reason he's only "suspending" his campaign is that it allows Santorum to continue to raise funds to erase campaign debt.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

2016, however,  is when things become interesting for Santorum (assuming an Obama win in November, which is pretty likely at this point).  Like Arnold, he'll be back.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 02:14:31 PM
Not going to happen. He won't be offered a VP slot, and he doesn't have the financial backing that Romney does to stay in long-term. The reason he's only "suspending" his campaign is that it allows Santorum to continue to raise funds to erase campaign debt.

Stick a fork in him, he's done.

2016, however,  is when things become interesting for Santorum (assuming an Obama win in November, which is pretty likely at this point).  Like Arnold, he'll be back.

Agreed..he's done. Question is.. does Rick Santorum and/or his backers think that? He's pushing a much more right agenda than Romney and that is a very potent block in the convention. Care to bet they won't try to hijack things if they think they can?

Like I said.. till he stands up and says 'I quit' or drops dead..he's not done. I do agree with you that he might be doing it to lessen his debt and all that.. but it is also likely that if he can get new backers.. he'll be back.  The social conservatives aren't going to meekly back down and he's their dog.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 10, 2012, 02:28:21 PM
Agreed..he's done. Question is.. does Rick Santorum and/or his backers think that? He's pushing a much more right agenda than Romney and that is a very potent block in the convention. Care to bet they won't try to hijack things if they think they can?

Like I said.. till he stands up and says 'I quit' or drops dead..he's not done. I do agree with you that he might be doing it to lessen his debt and all that.. but it is also likely that if he can get new backers.. he'll be back.  The social conservatives aren't going to meekly back down and he's their dog.

Potent the block may be (and I don't disagree with that), it is still a minority block, however vocal. As you have stated before, a broad-based appeal to the larger block of moderate Republicans who feel squeezed out and marginalized may be the RNC's only hope. Although the economic circumstances are quite different, it's the approach that worked for Dubya. It's to the point where Americans do not vote for the candidate they like the best, they vote for the one they dislike the least.

Look at it this way, Santorum is only 53. In 4 years, he'll still be 8 years younger than Romney is today. He'll have four years to raise funds, work on his strategy, four years to point out everything the current administration is doing wrong, etc.

I also hate to even mention this, but obviously his daughter's health is a concern as well. Whether or not he resumes his campaign could easily depend on how well she fares in the coming months. I don't know a lot about Trisomy 18, but what I do know is that the prognosis is quite grim, depending on the severity of the syndrome.

On's and Off's

Iniquitous

From my understanding of what I have read, he is suspending his run because of his three year old daughter's health.

Trieste

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 02:14:31 PM

*develops an eye tic at the thought*

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 10, 2012, 03:23:22 PM
From my understanding of what I have read, he is suspending his run because of his three year old daughter's health.
I saw that, as well.  Here's one report.

Torch

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 10, 2012, 03:23:22 PM

That's one reason, sure. But the latest polls were showing his lead in his "home state" of PA (although technically he doesn't even live here) being almost completely eroded in favor of Romney. If Santorum couldn't win in PA (and the primary here is two weeks), there was really no point in continuing.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 02:50:55 PM
Potent the block may be (and I don't disagree with that), it is still a minority block, however vocal. As you have stated before, a broad-based appeal to the larger block of moderate Republicans who feel squeezed out and marginalized may be the RNC's only hope. Although the economic circumstances are quite different, it's the approach that worked for Dubya. It's to the point where Americans do not vote for the candidate they like the best, they vote for the one they dislike the least.

Look at it this way, Santorum is only 53. In 4 years, he'll still be 8 years younger than Romney is today. He'll have four years to raise funds, work on his strategy, four years to point out everything the current administration is doing wrong, etc.

I also hate to even mention this, but obviously his daughter's health is a concern as well. Whether or not he resumes his campaign could easily depend on how well she fares in the coming months. I don't know a lot about Trisomy 18, but what I do know is that the prognosis is quite grim, depending on the severity of the syndrome.

It was that block that got Bush elected '00 and '04 and kept all his potential rivals in the party from securing a nomination. To underestimate their pull in the party is a mistake. Between them and the tea party, Santorum has pull. A lot more than it would appear to be at first glance.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 10, 2012, 03:53:46 PM
To underestimate their pull in the party is a mistake. Between them and the tea party, Santorum has pull. A lot more than it would appear to be at first glance.

I guess we'll see what happens. My take is that the RNC leadership is not a fan of Santorum and they feel he's a niche candidate at best, and niche candidates tend to get them in trouble (see S. Palin).

On's and Off's

vtboy

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'll miss St. Santorum. I think the Republican primary process profited (propheted?) from the presence of one 13th Century mind among the... well, the other 13th Century minds.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 03:58:23 PM
I guess we'll see what happens. My take is that the RNC leadership is not a fan of Santorum and they feel he's a niche candidate at best, and niche candidates tend to get them in trouble (see S. Palin).

Santorum has the advantage of not being seen, immediately, as a flake.

Personally, I hope you're right and the social conservatives lose a stranglehold on the party. It would be nice to see the less dogmatic leaders step up and rediscovered words like dialog, bipartisan and compromise.

Torch

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 10, 2012, 04:15:02 PM
Santorum has the advantage of not being seen, immediately, as a flake.

Personally, I hope you're right and the social conservatives lose a stranglehold on the party. It would be nice to see the less dogmatic leaders step up and rediscovered words like dialog, bipartisan and compromise.

I agree, and I think we'd all benefit, no matter which side of the voting booth you are on.

On's and Off's

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Torch on April 10, 2012, 04:18:59 PM
I agree, and I think we'd all benefit, no matter which side of the voting booth you are on.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen of the party leadership in at least one state personally, and through examples like Wisconsin in the news.. I don't see the current leadership relenting. They got the social conservatives backing their plays without caring about anything else. It will take a strong socially moderate leader to win control back..and there isn't one who hasn't been lambasted by the social conservatives and pundits.. and the leadership won't back them.

Somewhere out there is a yonger generation looking for a way in.. and sadly they are going to have to wait till the current leaders drop dead to get in.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 10, 2012, 04:38:37 PM
Somewhere out there is a yonger generation looking for a way in.. and sadly they are going to have to wait till the current leaders drop dead to get in.

And by then, the damage will be done and we'll be singing God Bless Corporations.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 10, 2012, 05:13:52 PM
And by then, the damage will be done and we'll be singing God Bless Corporations.

I'm withholding judgement till this election.. the fall out of the national conventions this year will be very very interesting I think.

Star Safyre

My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Callie Del Noire

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 10, 2012, 05:13:52 PM

Honestly, I'd be almost as worried about what the country could turn into after spending that long with the Democrats allowed to run wild - it's extremely unlikely the current GOP will be able to regain control any time soon, so until that old guard goes away, we are for all intents and purposes a one-party system. And that, IMO, is bad - it's the threat of losing control to the other side that keeps a two-party system stable and forces them to accomodate the moderates/swing voters; give them a situation where they know the opposition is completely impotent and it could go rather scary.

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 10, 2012, 06:21:53 PM

*snickers*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

BCdan

I feel really bad for his kid.   :-\  Her disease is basically incurable.  I hope she gets as much time as she can. 

~I enjoy random PM's~

Serephino

I don't think the Democrats will have control for long.  It's going to keep going back and forth like it always does.  The people are fickle and have no patience.  The reason we are in the mess we're in is because Obama couldn't pull a magical silver bullet out of thin air.  He and the Democrats didn't fix everything over night, so the Tea Party gained a foothold in the name of sending Democrats a message for not giving the people instant gratification.  Now the far right wing is fucking everything up, and although we'll have to see, the Democrats may very well end up getting control back.  Of course, things might start to get a tiny bit better, but not fast enough, as always.  Add to that, a few Democrats will do something to upset a bunch of people.  So, naturally, all Democrats will be sent a message again, and Republicans will gain control.

Welcome to American politics!