What are you reading?

Started by Paradox, November 25, 2008, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurer

Thick Face Black Heart

by Chin-Ning Chu
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

adventurer

The 8th Habit. From Effectiveness to Greatness -by Stephen Covey

Its about building trust as one of the most precious currencies right now on planet!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_8th_Habit:_From_Effectiveness_to_Greatness
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Lilias

A Nouvel Observateur special edition dedicated to Harry Potter.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

adventurer

Vanity Fair Report about Carla Bruni
(Plato)

Duchess

Marguerite

The Mark of the Vampire Queen by Joey W. Hill
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

adventurer

The end of sexual identity

by Stacey d`Erasmo
(Plato)

Lilias

Art Nouveau, by Camilla de la Bedoyere.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Paradox

Numerous PowerPoint presentations about Biology to study for tomorrow's final.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Duchess

just finished

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

and reading

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

Kitonet

~*~ New avvie coming soon ~*~
Muse is on hiatus!

HairyHeretic

Just finished "Cains Last Stand", the latest Commissar Blackadder book, and volumes 3-7 of Nikolai Dante. Currently about halfway through "A Lick of Frost", the latest Meredith Gentry one.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paradox

Less than 200 pages away from the end of Carrion Comfort, which is quite a feat considering it's almost 900 pages. Even the 1000+ page Signet edition of The Stand seemed shorter than this. It must have something to do with the pacing.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Mordred

Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
*See Pillory*

Solaine

“Not the glittering weapon fights the fight, but rather the hero's heart.” ~ Proverb
~Currently not available for new games.~

Happy an Nice

Quote from: Paradox on December 14, 2008, 09:16:22 AM
Numerous PowerPoint presentations about Biology to study for tomorrow's final.

Oh I so could have helped you with that....*smiles*

Rant, by Chuck Palaniuk

Meet the Writer with Chuck Palaniuk
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

HairyHeretic

I just found this in one of my local bookshops

Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 1)

QuoteIn the 25nd Century the British Space Empire faces the gathering menace of the evil ant-soldiers of the Ghast Empire hive, hell-bent on galactic domination and the extermination of all humanoid life. Isambard Smith is the square-jawed, courageous and somewhat asinine new commander of the clapped out and battle damaged light freighter John Pym, destined to take on the alien threat because nobody else is available. Together with his bold crew a skull collecting alien lunatic, an android pilot who is actually a fugitive sex toy and a hamster called Gerald he must collect new-age herbalist Rhianna Mitchell from the laid back New Francisco orbiter and bring her back to safety in the Empire. Straightforward enough except the Ghasts want her too. If he is to get back to Blighty alive, Smith must defeat void sharks, a universe-weary android assassin and John Gilead, psychopathic naval officer from the fanatically religious Republic of New Eden before facing his greatest enemy: a ruthless alien warlord with a very large behind...

I suspect it will either be very good or very bad. I will likely be amused either way.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Paradox

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 22, 2008, 12:48:45 PM
I just found this in one of my local bookshops

Space Captain Smith (Chronicles of Isambard Smith 1)

I suspect it will either be very good or very bad. I will likely be amused either way.

I've heard good things about it, though many have said that it's a bit heavy on the innuendo.

Happy an Nice

Rain Taxi ~ Review of Books; Vol. 13, No. 4, Winter 2008 - 2009

Rain Taxi Current Issue
Suppose the neutral angels were able to talk Yahweh and Lucifer- God and Satan, into settling out of court. Specifically, how would they divide the assets of their earthly kingdom? Would God be satisfied to take loaves and fishes .. allowing Satan the red-eye gravy, eighteen ounce New York steak, and buckets of chilled champagne? Would God really accept twice-a-month lovemaking for procreative purposes and give Satan the all-night, no-holds-barred, nasty "can't-get-enough-of-you," hot as hell fucks? Well? Would he?

Forestshadow

The Shadow Rising, book four of the wheel of time by Robert Jordan

Cecilia

"Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

Mordred

A Feast For Crows - George R R Martin
*See Pillory*

Kangaroo

A Feather on The Breath of God
~Sigrid Nunez
People who bite the hand that feeds them, usually lick the boot that kicks them. ~Eric Hoffer

"There is a crack, a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in."   ~ Leonard Cohen

Bliss

The Big Book of Grimm
By Jonathan Vankin

Synopsis from bn.com:

The Big Book of Grimm presents more than fifty folk tales collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm in ways you’ve never seen them before: uncensored, unflinching, and unsuitable for the faint of heart.

Rendered in gruesome glory by some of today’s top graphic and comic artists, these stories present a vision of the world as the Brothers Grimm saw it: dark, dangerous, and full of foreboding. There are predators behind every tree, wolves in grandmas’s clothing, and woodland creatures lying in wait for the unwary. There’s no home without negligent parents or a scheming stepmother, no marriage that isn’t rancid with lies and deceit, and no byway or backroad that doesn’t lead directly to a nasty gnome, leering dwarf, or wicked witch hungry for human flesh. Every gift comes with a heavy price, and no stranger is to be trusted. The poor suffer their share of humiliations and tragedies, but even Prince Charming can’t be sure that he’ll live happily ever after.

Originally intended as cautionary tales to warn youngsters of the wicked ways of the world and to keep them to the straight and narrow, these stories are brim full of treachery, torment, and terror. Prepare yourself for bedtime stories that are sure to keep you up all night. Fairy tales don’t come Grimmer than these.
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Malrunar

I highly recommend this book, if you've yet to read it :) It's by far my favorite, and since I picked it up when it first came out a few years ago: I've yet to be able to set it down for long. It's a series that's just getting into the works. The second book just went to paperback, and the third is expected sometime in Febuary. You'll thank me for this later. ;)

The Thorn of Camorr is said to be an unbeatable swordsman, a master thief, a ghost that walks through walls. Half the city believes him to be a legendary champion of the poor. The other half believe him to be a foolish myth. Nobody has it quite right.

Slightly built, unlucky in love, and barely competent with a sword, Locke Lamora is, much to his annoyance, the fabled Thorn. He certainly didn't invite the rumors that swirl around his exploits, which are actually confidence games of the most intricate sort. And while Locke does indeed steal from the rich (who else, pray tell, would be worth stealing from?), the poor never see a penny of it. All of Locke's gains are strictly for himself and his tight-knit band of thieves, the Gentlemen Bastards.

Locke and company are con artists in an age where con artistry, as we understand it, is a new and unknown style of crime. The less attention anyone pays to them, the better! But a deadly mystery has begun to haunt the ancient city of Camorr, and a clandestine war is threatening to tear the city's underworld, the only home the Gentlemen Bastards have ever known, to bloody shreds. Caught up in a murderous game, Locke and his friends will find both their loyalty and their ingenuity tested to the breaking point as they struggle to stay alive...