Shadowrun: Reality

Started by Jaded, November 05, 2014, 01:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

I'm not the greatest GM (especially of Shadowrun, but also in general), my posting is sporadic at the moment, and the idea may be a bit overly specific and high in smut.  However if anyone is interested, I had an idea for a Shadowrun 4e game I'd like to run.

I ask that any interested players be a bit proactive if they join.  I will fully admit that I hate to nag people to post, which can cause things to slow down or die when someone doesn't post or everyone is waiting for someone else to take the lead.

IC
“I represent a sizeable corporation involved in the entertainment sector.”  The man in the Berwick suit informed the gathered group of up-and-coming and down-and-out actresses.  He had introduced himself as Mr. Johnson, a rather obvious nod to the world of shadowrunning, and an indication of just what he had in mind.  “They have greenlit a new show, Runner’s Reality, that will put a small team, you, through a number of mock missions.  They’re going all out with this show.  Real guns with nonlethal rounds, expansive locations.  It will be just like reality, except no one will die.” Mr. Johnson gave the group a bright smile.  “We’re paying five thousand an episode.  Full medical in case of accidents, expenses, and a worldwide release.” 

400BP creation.

All characters must be famous, preferably actresses, and must take one of the following (these do not cost BP or count towards your normal quality limits):
    National Fame and SINner OR
    Global Fame, SINner, and Records on File

In Debt or Mysterious Implant must be taken (and in the case of the latter, the character may not even know they have it) and should be tied to why they decided to sign up for the show.  These qualities don’t count to your normal 35 BP limit.

All characters must be female.
All characters must be human, elves, or orcs.  (I may allow some metavariants and similar)

The characters will have gone through training with the company before their first mission, as a way to explain any skills that wouldn’t make sense for their background.

I would strongly prefer not to have a dedicated Hacker, and will be limiting a lot of hacking (if someone has any skills in that regard) to a short range.  A lock or computer would have to be access locally, that sort of thing.

Ammunition will not be tracked other than how many clips are available in any given mission.  Ammunition will also (usually) be free as long as it is only Restricted, though initially only Stick-n-Shock, Gel, and Injection rounds will be available.

This game will be rated Nonconsensual-Exotic, and I fully intend to include a great deal of content in that regard.  If you aren't comfortable with that type and level of content, this probably isn't a suitable game for you, though I will do my best to tailor said content to each individual player's preferences.

If interested, please post a concept (though not a full character) here.  I am aiming for anywhere from 2-6 players.

Muse

*bounce!*  I would adore a chance to play this, Jaded! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Marie Reynolds

This looks good I would love to jump in on this.

TheGlyphstone

Latooni Subota

This makes me happy, since the last Shadowrun game I was in died before birth, so to speak. Interest attained!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Jaded

Thanks for your interest everyone :-) .  Any thoughts on characters?  Actresses make the most sense, but anyone with a bit of fame who is looking for money and to get into the public eye could make sense.  Especially if they are In Debt.  The Mysterious Implant may not be something they know about (so if you don't want to worry about including that in your backstory). 

TheGlyphstone

Somehow I missed the 'must be female' requirement, so on second thought I'll be backing out. Best of luck though.

Marie Reynolds

Name: Matsuoka, Aiko

Concept: Theater Student and Cosplay Enthusiast. Aiko's career started being noticed at a cosplay competition for being able to get into the role of the character with near unerring accuracy. this brought her to recieve a invite from the production company of the magical girl she cosplayed as for an audition for there new project. Aiko passed the  audition with flying colors and her time began as Maiko The Solar Wind Maiden. Her career began at sixteen and carried up until thirty. As she grew up the character grew with her and the character grew into a mentor of a new generation of  Magical girls and with time she only starred in movies as Maiko and became the companies mascot as Maiko and even her popularity and celebrity grew as a Queen of Cosplay. Aiko's career even involved some video game appearances as well. Aiko still lives well with her appearances and being kept on retainer for the release of the companies new products. Though sometimes she finds herself missing the acting and the whirlwind of events and the business of the schedule but has come to also love getting paid still for not as a demanding schedule.

ExisD

This sounds like it would be incredibly fun. I think that I'll be able to maintain a once per day posting amount for a long time now.

If you have enough slots I would love to play a formerly rich party girl with industry connections that acquired a large amount of debt through trying, unsuccessfully, to be a magician only to figure out that adept talents came to her more naturally. Her parents, very displeased, refused to take care of the debt and threw her out. Without them to support her she needed to figure out some other means of supporting herself.

Marie Reynolds

Also Jaded I have some questions about in debt Quality.

Muse

If someone else is intrested in doing a magician, I have an action girl concept. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Samantha Greene had the good fortune to grow up a citizen of Ares Macrotechnology despite being an elf born to human parents.  She worked hard to fit in among peers who viewed her alternately as something subhuman and an object of jealousy.  Through hard work and cunning socially maneuvering, she managed to prove her work to the company as a spokeswoman—playing on her looks and charm to become featured in numerous commercials for one particular brand name—and land herself a well to do husband in the lower echelons of upper management. 

Her son came out human, but her daughter shared her elven genetics—as well as her elven grace and beauty.  Linzi Martin grew up in more excepting times, but her mother knew that she was still going to be seen as an outsider.  Like the Asian tiger-mothers of old, she leaned on her daughter hard to excel.  With her mother’s support and relentless pressure, she did well in school, and quite a bit better in gymnastics and beauty pageants.  She was rarely permitted the time she wanted to play the simsense games she loved.  When Linzi did manage to spend a few stolen moments with her gaming systems or—even more preciously—at the simsene arcade with her peers—she found a special fondness for fighting games.  She loved the chance to walk in the shoes of these fantastic girls, beautiful, cute, and energetic, they fought with passion, grace, and honor.  She knew they worked hard—like she did—but did things far more exciting than she ever could, and chose their own path, their own pursuits. 

By spinning it as an other athletic endeavor in which too encourage her daughter, Linzi managed to get lessons in martial arts.  Already an accomplished gymnast, she got good rather quickly. 

One day in her seventeenth year—while her mother was planning her future—Linzi let the archeology with some other girls—including the younger daughter of a regional director of promotions.  A single thug tried too mug the girls and Linzi stepped in front of her panicked friends.  She spoke calmly to the mugger, but could tell he was strung out on some drug and judged their lives to be in great danger.  She touched him on the shoulder and discharged her shock gloves into his body. 

The man went berserk.  She caught his fist and hurled him ntot he wall behind them, and from there found herself in a desperate battle for her life. 

In the end, she was bruised and battered but the thug lay unconscious at her feet.  Her friends caught it all with their com links.  They spun her to their parents and the authorities as a hero, risking life and limb to save them from the brutal thug.  The footage went briefly viral on the matrix.  Lindi snapped up an offer to do work for the company, playing a heroine in a new adventure MMO, her body was perfected with cosmetic surgery.  She was implanted with some state of the art reaction enhancing cyberware—including SIM modules and skill-wires.  Her popularity grew quickly as she appread in video games and simsense films.  She continued to train and study, now finding it much more satisfying.  Her skills were supplemented with skill-wires appropriate to the abilities of the characters sh was to represent. 

As her career rose, rivals bought off the paparazzi and turned them against her.  Stories circulated that she was a fake, a pretty face with skill-wires doing the rest. 

When offered a shot at a roll emulating the exploits of a shadowrunner, but with real competition rather than simple choreography, Linzi jumped at this chance to prove herself—not just to her audience, but to herself! 

Noteworthy Skills:  Actiing, Gymnastics, Unarmed Combat
Notworthy 'Ware:  Cosmetic Implants, Move By Wire

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Marie Reynolds

Andy I believe there are still slots open I think we have only had three step up so far not including you.

AndyZ

Currently pondering a reuse of a Gunslinger Adept idea.

Will we be able to get away with Forbidden items, since we're always being watched?  Presumably the corp can stamp us with an okay.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Jaded

Interesting characters so far :-)

Muse: Action Hero(ine)
Marie Reynolds: Magical Girl Actress
Latooni Subota: ?
ExisD: Formerly Rich Party Girl Adept
AndyZ: Gunslinger Adept
Open:

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 05, 2014, 10:43:09 PM
Also Jaded I have some questions about in debt Quality.

What were your questions?

Quote from: AndyZ on November 06, 2014, 12:58:20 PM
Still got room for me?

There is still room.  One slot left after you.

Quote from: AndyZ on November 06, 2014, 09:21:09 PM
Currently pondering a reuse of a Gunslinger Adept idea.

Will we be able to get away with Forbidden items, since we're always being watched?  Presumably the corp can stamp us with an okay.

Hmm.  I hadn't considered that.  It would probably depend on the specific item.  Some could be portrayed as props, others could be licensed/owned by the company.  So if you'd like something forbidden it is probably okay, but I reserve the right to decline or put limitations on some of them.

Marie Reynolds

Can Debt be used to represent the contract she has and maybe the sign on bonus she was given but the debt not be financial but be she has to work for the company exclusively but gave her leeway on Cosplay appearances. Cause it is viewed as free publicity and the use her as a spokeswomen for a support of the hobby and providing a role model to the Cosplay community.

Jaded

I'm not entirely sure I follow. 

The debt would need to be financial, but could be the result of a contract being violated or a failed business venture.  She thought something would go better than it did, and no owes those involved some money.  The debt could be owed to the company that she is currently working for (either they bought it out, or gave her a cash advance) I suppose. 

Muse

I'm not sure what the debt/mysterious implant requirement is meant to be? 

zenpai

Is there a druid like class in shadow run. I have an idea for a girl who is internationaly know for being against animal testing. From saving the many different animal they thought her how to change into there kind.
I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Rorschach's Journal. October 12th, 1985: Dog carcass in alley this morning, tire tread on burst stomach. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Muse

WiP
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VYa1KaCe6wo3sFOIj-ou1sqARfGtoeJqCbSVunDgfTs/edit

Zenpai, spell casters have traditions, and several traditions--most noticeably the Shaman-=lend themselves to environmentalist characters.  (As do a couple of the mentor spirits, like Eagle.) 

KirbysFolly

Oh man I love Shadowrun. I'll drop a character concept in here, this sounds great.

Alissa Coen: Started out as any ordinary girl on the streets. Growing up an elf who wasn't rich in Seattle was sometimes rough, but she knew it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was for the orcs or trolls, or even as bad as the dwarves had it. In her early teens she started to see things, things that others didn't see. Sometimes she caught faint whispers. When she finally mentioned it to her parents, they had her checked out, and discovered she had some talent for magic. She began lessons under a hermetic mage, but progressed slowly.

She probably would have ended up becoming a corporate mage for some trashy local company that didn't need any real skill, if it hadn't been for a near-fatal car accident. "Lucky" Lucy Ramirez's drunken limo driver smashed into another car head-on, half a block away from Alissa, on her way to the club after yet another lesson. The driver was killed instantly, but Alissa pulled the singer out of the limo, and saved her life with the only spell she was particularly good at, one for healing injuries. As luck would have it, the event was recorded, and she was suddenly famous. The hot mage that had saved the beautiful singer.

She accompanied Ramirez while the woman stayed in Seattle, apparently now fast friends. Then the singer went back to the mainland UCAS, and Alissa was left behind. She got some coverage in interviews, and even scored a small part in a reality TV show, but slowly interest died off. She had to borrow money to pay for her lavish apartment and expensive lessons, and as the public began to forget about her, it became harder and harder to make any payments.

ExisD

Here's what I've got so far:

Mika Himura grew up in the relative lap of luxury. Both of her parents were upper management at the local Evo Corp branch. They'd given their children the best that they could, from conception to adulthood, but expected them to become as incredible as they could. Unfortunately for Mika, that didn't quite work out. As the youngest she was used to seeing her elder siblings go off to become scientists, managers, doctors, and hackers. She knew that she could never match up to them in those fields and there were precious few other options. In the end she decided on magic. It was fairly outside of the norm, but her parents were supportive. For the first two years of schooling at least.

Mika had assumed that it would come easily, but it never did. She was good enough to pass practical tests and thanks to how many friends she'd made, her homework was fine. Of course she'd made those friends through spending most of her time drinking, sleeping around, and spending whatever was in her bank account. She tended to just go along with whatever anyone else was doing no matter how bad of an idea it was.

That summer she was cut off. Her family had enough of her failure and expenses. They didn't bother telling her directly, merely having their bank send her a message. She was now responsible for everything she'd spent over the past two years with the first payment being due a month after it sent. She flipped out and drank so much that she didn't remember any of the week.

When she came to the young elf knew too things. First, what she'd been doing wrong. Throughout college she'd been trying to learn traditional magic when she should've been focusing on internal powers. Second, all of those genetic modification that her parents had paid for had done something strange. She could feel a second heart beating in her chest, the cold didn't bother her at all, and her eyes had changed color, now glowing. Most importantly, she gave off an aura of terror that made all of her friends run away.

Left with nothing, Mika found work as a stunt double. With her magical abilities it was easy. She could take hits that the prettier stars would never even consider while coming away unblemished. The work didn't pay enough for her to live more than a meager lifestyle and barely keep up with her interest payments though. She kept trying to get bigger roles, mostly villainous, but never broke out of bit parts. Always the silent killer who came out of nowhere and never stayed on camera long.

It was enough to get an online following, but even after years she couldn't land a speaking role until Runner's Reality made itself known. Mika nailed her audition thanks to the same things that made her fail all of the others. Runners were terrifying to a large number of people, even as others revered them. This would be her chance to actually make it.

Noteworthy skills: Intimidate, athletics, blades

AndyZ

Not sure how to fully explain my concept yet since I only have it partly statted out, but basically I'm considering a girl who has lived under the control of a megacorp her entire life and who gets used as a model for various automatic weapons.  Similar to how a lingerie model has to look pretty enough to make the product look perfect, she's had to be exceptionally talented in shooting in order to "prove" how easy and accurate the guns are.  Of course, being an elf and pretty doesn't hurt either. 

An isolated global symbol of the talented use of automatic firearms, she's had few friends in her life but savors the chance to make more.

Having her on the show would give her an opportunity to display the use of various weapons outside of the conventional shooting range.  I was thinking of giving her Day Job, but I don't know if that will work for the game or not.

Jaded

Muse: Action Hero(ine) (Unarmed)
Marie Reynolds: Magical Girl Actress
Latooni Subota: ?
ExisD: Formerly Rich Party Girl Changeling Adept (Blades)
AndyZ: Gunslinger Adept (Guns)
KirbysFolly: Hermetic Mage

So we are heavy on magical characters.  Not sure we have any sort of techy character or face yet?

Character Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=217186.0
OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=217187.0

Quote from: Muse on November 08, 2014, 04:09:08 AM
I'm not sure what the debt/mysterious implant requirement is meant to be?

They are mainly intended to make it more difficult for the characters to quit.  Plus potential plot hooks.

I don't seem to be able to view your sheet.

Quote from: AndyZ on November 08, 2014, 06:31:19 PM
Not sure how to fully explain my concept yet since I only have it partly statted out, but basically I'm considering a girl who has lived under the control of a megacorp her entire life and who gets used as a model for various automatic weapons.  Similar to how a lingerie model has to look pretty enough to make the product look perfect, she's had to be exceptionally talented in shooting in order to "prove" how easy and accurate the guns are.  Of course, being an elf and pretty doesn't hurt either. 

An isolated global symbol of the talented use of automatic firearms, she's had few friends in her life but savors the chance to make more.

Having her on the show would give her an opportunity to display the use of various weapons outside of the conventional shooting range.  I was thinking of giving her Day Job, but I don't know if that will work for the game or not.

A day job is fine.  Cross promotion and all that. 

Quote from: zenpai on November 08, 2014, 05:27:02 AM
Is there a druid like class in shadow run. I have an idea for a girl who is internationaly know for being against animal testing. From saving the many different animal they thought her how to change into there kind.

Sorry, I am going to give the last slot to KirbysFolly as he got a concept in first. :-(  If you're still interested and a slot opens, I can let you know.

Quote from: KirbysFolly on November 08, 2014, 01:10:36 PM
Oh man I love Shadowrun. I'll drop a character concept in here, this sounds great.

Looks good :-)