News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fighting games for PC

Started by Beorning, April 11, 2013, 09:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

So... I keep hearing about this upcoming Injustice game. I keep hearing about so often that it actually managed to make me a little interested in it. But then, I learned that it's not going to be released for PCs!  >:(

But my spark of interest in fighting games refuses to die. So... are there any good fighting games for PCs? I admit that the only modern fighting games I know of are Mortal Kombat games... and they are not made for PCs...

chaoslord29

In a word, no. They don't make fighting games for PC because they obviously lend themselves more to consoles and ideally get people to buy those arcade pieces so they can get the full button array. On top of that, half the appeal of fighting games is getting people into the room together, and it's hard to fit two pairs of hands onto a keyboard for a comp.

As far as I know, without resorting to an emulator or some other port, you're not going to find a good fighting game for PC. I think Guilty Gear might actually have a direct port and I've heard it spoken highly of by my friends I trust on this topic, but I don't know the specifics.
My Guiding Light-
'I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.'- Lord Havelock Vetinari
My ideas and O/Os:Darker Tastes and Tales

Moraline

Not many that I know of.

Most fighting games are built for the arcade and ported to console editions (Which is a major reason why fightsticks are so crucial in most competition gaming as they are built from arcade quality parts and the design and layout is best configured this way - although still many console purists prefer the compact hand held console controllers.)

Caveat: My knowledge is mostly limited to 2nd hand information as I don't competition game (my friends do) but I have yet to see any competition game that is on PC.

If you look hard you might find some out there. I just don't know any.

Here's the list of games that were on play list for the Road to EVO 2013.

(Injustice Harley cosplay by Jessica Nigri)
Center Stage Games:
    Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
    Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    Mortal Kombat 9
    Street Fighter X Tekken 2013
    King of Fighters XIII
    Persona 4 Arena

Optional 8th Game List (That was voted on):
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R
    Super Smash Bros. Melee  **This was the WINNER**
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    SFIII Third Strike, Online Edition
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Divekick
    Melty Blood Actress Again Current
    MLP: Fighting is Magic
    Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Dead or Alive 5
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    Injustice
    Skullgirls
    Street Fighter II Super Turbo
    Blazblue
    Soul Calibur V
    Darkstalkers 3

Geeklet

Controls for a fighting game absolutely suck on a keyboard, so no.

There was a game years ago which was an online PC fighting game that I did in fact enjoy, KwonHo. Originally Korean, it was in beta being translated for a North American audience. It only lasted a few months because of some horrid balance changes made that upset the community, and a sloppy netcode, but before then it was fun. I did however go out and buy a gamepad specifically for that game because the controls handled just that much better.

Sasquatch421

The only thing I can think of at the moment is the Mugen one for the pc. It's not official, but the sheer number of characters that can be put on it makes it look fun.

Mct Mugen-Goku & Vegeta Vs Homer & Peter

Beorning

This is all very sad...  >:(

In a way, it's strange. Back in my teenage years, there *were* fighting games for PC. Mortal Kombat (up to fourth part, at least), Street Fighter, Sango Fighter, Body Blows... And they were playable, even on keyboard!

Grrr! I so wanted to smash something  >:(

Shjade

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on April 11, 2013, 11:52:24 AM
The only thing I can think of at the moment is the Mugen one for the pc. It's not official, but the sheer number of characters that can be put on it makes it look fun.

I always got the impression Mugen was an automated thing, AI vs AI.

Guilty Gear XX is on PC, as is Street Fighter IV. I dunno about others, it's not something I've looked into; I find the likelihood of lag and framerate issues more prevalent on PC than consoles and either of those issues would be game-breaking for fighters, so I haven't made much effort to find fighters to play on PC.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Shjade on April 11, 2013, 12:24:42 PM
I always got the impression Mugen was an automated thing, AI vs AI.

Guilty Gear XX is on PC, as is Street Fighter IV. I dunno about others, it's not something I've looked into; I find the likelihood of lag and framerate issues more prevalent on PC than consoles and either of those issues would be game-breaking for fighters, so I haven't made much effort to find fighters to play on PC.

Actually it's playable and highly customizable so you can add your own characters if you get bored with what you have. I've even seen character packs people did that kinda turn the game towards a XXX type of thing.

Beorning

Okay, it seems that if I want to play a fighting game on a PC, Street Fighter would be the way to go, hmmm.

All right then, maybe let's try something a bit different :) Any martial arts-themed game out there? Some MMORPG, perhaps?

Jude

The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection is on steam. It has 1, 2, and 3.

Then there's Xenoclash (which I've heard is similar to what you're looking for): http://store.steampowered.com/app/22200

And of course, there's always emulation. Any PC from the past 3-5 years (even non-gaming laptops) should be able to emulate all pre-PS2 consoles to great effect.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Things I know you can pick up easily:

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition - Probably the fighting game to go for with UMvC3 not being available on the PC. Is getting a further balance revision sometime in the future but how long that will take to come to the PC is anyone's guess.

Guilty Gear Isuka - I've no idea how this runs or what kind of port it is or even what GG game it's based on, however I know you can get it because I grabbed it in an indie game bundle recently and it now sits unplayed on my hdd.

Street Fighter x Tekken - Still running vanilla so it's more like "Super Time Out Fighter" than anything approaching a great game, however it has it's charms outside the highest level of play. If the 2013 patch ever makes it to PC then I think it's a must have but on vanilla it's kind of whatever unless you love Rolento, in which case get those rekkas in now while you still can.

Yatagarasu - Third Strike meets King of Fighters. Really good game but from what I've seen so far the netcode is enough to make you want to punch your own mother in the face.

Things I'm not sure about but think you can grab:

Guilty Gear X2

Also there's GGPO which let's you play pretty much every old arcade game online (with pretty solid netcode all things considered) if you have access to the ROMs.

My personal recommends would be Street Fighter 4 and...uhm...well Street Fighter 4 is pretty good.
Honestly I like Yata a lot as well, but it's both an acquired style of fighting game and has the aforementioned problems with netcode.
Oh and from some Steam registry digging it appears King of Fighters 13 is on it's way to the PC. KoF 13 is the pinnacle of all things, so if that ever does drop then obviously you should pick that up. Netcode is worse than Yata's though. I mean sure the game isn't out yet, but if the 360 netcode is anything to go by it will be a digital abortion that should never be mentioned again frankly.

Revelation

Skullgirls is coming to the PC in July or thereabouts, and should see a decent PC community.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Oh also it looks like Mortal Kombat 9 is on the way to PC as well, it's in the Steam registry and it seems like there are traces of people play testing a build of it in the Steam usage graphs as well.
So yeah.

ZephySempai

Quote from: Changingsaint on April 15, 2013, 03:36:13 PM
Skullgirls is coming to the PC in July or thereabouts, and should see a decent PC community.

Oh my god, really? I haven't been keeping up with that game.

But yeah, as everyone else has said, most fighting games are only on consoles and arcades. You can definitely get some good emulators, and I've heard wonderful things about M.U.G.E.N, though, for me anyway, it isn't the easiest thing to operate.

Teo Torriatte

Have you ever head of Kung Fu Strike? It's not an actual fighting game, per se, more of a beat em up but heavily based on martial arts. And there are some fairly intense one on one boss fights as well.

Heaven Sent Blossom

I think we should all stop and take a moment to weep for Skullgirls PC, it's dead before it was ever truly born.
Stanley The Shark didn't win the voting for the third DLC character and as such clearly the whole thing will be a disaster.
Thanks a lot, waifu squad.

Sabby

Any good brawlers for PC? And by brawlers, I mean single player, against lots of AI opponents.

Jude

Every Lego game. Castle Crashers. That Sanctum game...

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on April 23, 2013, 09:57:45 PM
Any good brawlers for PC? And by brawlers, I mean single player, against lots of AI opponents.

Shank is okay, though it's awkward on keyboard.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. (Wasn't really as taken in by City.)
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Sabby on April 23, 2013, 09:57:45 PM

Scott Pilgrim
Streets of Rage

There's also the Prototype games but the first one can be super frustrating and the second one, while resolving the frustrations of the first, is lacking in any complexity in both the combat and movement systems.

And of course there's Darksiders, but that's more of a love letter to Zelda with some God of War in the combat so it might not be what you're after.

Oh and Dynasty Warriors, however judging from the "What are you playing?" thread I think you would hate Dynasty Warriors.

I can probably give you a more comprehensive list but I'd really need to know what you're after in regards to mechanical complexity and what your tolerance for occasional tedium is.

Sabby

The Warriors is a fantastic example of what I like :3 lots of goons grouping up on you and you can just turn them into bloody dominos. I just don't like fighting games where your fists or weapons [hase through groups of people and they all just flinch. I like each attack to have a more personal reaction. Punch someone in the jaw, head snaps back, kick someone in the knee, fall on chest, that kind of thing, not 'swing sword right through 5 people until they have fall backwards animation'.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Sabby on May 01, 2013, 01:00:54 AM
The Warriors is a fantastic example of what I like :3 lots of goons grouping up on you and you can just turn them into bloody dominos. I just don't like fighting games where your fists or weapons [hase through groups of people and they all just flinch. I like each attack to have a more personal reaction. Punch someone in the jaw, head snaps back, kick someone in the knee, fall on chest, that kind of thing, not 'swing sword right through 5 people until they have fall backwards animation'.
That's more physics engines than actual game issues.  What we really need is a brawler/3rd person  melee game that uses Havok.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Sabby

Not really, injury animations have been around a while, just not a lot of games use them as extensively as The Warriors did.