Coding?

Started by starryphantasy, May 14, 2018, 01:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starryphantasy

Not sure if this is the right forum, and I don't mind being directed to the correct space if not. Hoping I don't sound too ignorant, but is there a tutorial or any tips folks have for coding on Elliquiy?

I've seen some lovely O/Os and request threads, but I'm having a hard time figuring out layouts using tables, and I haven't a clue how people manage such nice layouts for their O/Os especially.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated! Links to other sites, threads on here, direct info, etc. Thankies. m(_ _)m
Going inactive. I'm still available on F-list, Discord and BMR if we played/talked on any of those.

Avis habilis

There's a pretty thorough tutorial on using tables here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=207014.0

Oniya

Many people will be happy to explain how they did a particular thing, if you have a layout that strikes you in particular.  Sometimes a little easier than tweaking and re-tweaking a template.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RampantDesires

Using the quote post function is also your best friend.  I don't think you can do this in the O/O section but in the requests it lets you see the code people use to make things look a certain way.  Just copying someone's code is frowned upon (totally send them a message and as if you can use pieces of it though). 

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

starryphantasy

Thank you so much, everyone!

Hehe, I'm a little shy and nervous to message people about their coding, but I'm going to go ahead and do it!

The thread on tables is a huge help in particular. Thankies, many thanks all around~.
Going inactive. I'm still available on F-list, Discord and BMR if we played/talked on any of those.

persephone325

Quote from: starryphantasy on May 14, 2018, 03:15:51 PM
Thank you so much, everyone!

Hehe, I'm a little shy and nervous to message people about their coding, but I'm going to go ahead and do it!

The thread on tables is a huge help in particular. Thankies, many thanks all around~.

Often times, if I copy a code from someone (I'm also kinda shy in just messaging random people.) I'll put a little note somewhere - probably near the bottom of the post - that says "Credit for table code: USERNAME" with a link to their profile, or the post I got the code from.

Especially if they haven't logged onto E in some time.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

Cycle

Here are some that I often use:

Making an image align to the right of the text, fixed at a width of 100, with a padding (i.e., space between the image and the text) of 10.  The fixed width is handy when you don't want to/can't resize the original image.  You can also use height instead of width.  The padding just makes it look better, imho.

[float=right][img width=100 padding=10]https://78.media.tumblr.com/713e418e6e6ff56dad1afe578a290c82/tumblr_p88a46EYY31s4v89to1_1280.jpg[/img][/float]

Same thing, now aligned to the left.

[float=left][img width=100 padding=10]https://78.media.tumblr.com/713e418e6e6ff56dad1afe578a290c82/tumblr_p88a46EYY31s4v89to1_1280.jpg[/img][/float]

A bullet list of whatever:

• dogs
  • cats
  • birds

[list]
[li]dogs[/li]
[li]cats[/li]
[li]birds[/li]
[/list]

A numbered list:

• dogs
  • cats
  • birds

[list type=decimal]
[li]dogs[/li]
[li]cats[/li]
[li]birds[/li]
[/list]

starryphantasy

Thank you! Hehe, glad it's not just me that's shy about that. That's a very good idea, especially for borrowing code from someone that hasn't been on in a while.

Thanks, to both of you!