My Own Worst Enemy: Long Term Student/Teacher RP

Started by Bibliophilia, July 30, 2014, 01:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibliophilia

I'm going to start off this request with a warning, because that way I don't waste anyone's time, or my own.  I am highly selective about my One-on-One RP partners.  We've all had that sinking feeling come when we get into a game we're really interested in, have spent a lot of time thinking about and working out the details of, only to watch it all come crashing down because our partner just isn't right for us.  I hate that feeling.  So, I'm going to be vetting any interested parties strenuously, according to past posts.  I'll be judging based on post quality, quantity, style, O/Os and the general sense of the player based on what I see and whether I feel we would be a good match.  So, if you read my request and feel you can create a good story with me, and our O/Os seem similarly matched, send me a PM and I'll check you out.  If I decide not to play with you, please don't feel insulted.  There are any number of reasons why I might say no, and only one person is going to get a yes, so it doesn't really say anything negative about you if I don't think we're compatible.

My expectations from my partner are pretty simple.  I want a good, quality post of at least two paragraphs that gives me plenty to work with, is descriptive, but not pointlessly so, and has a minimum of spelling and grammar mistakes.  Seeing a lot of mistakes in a post ruins my immersion, and thus my desire to RP with you.  Getting a ten paragraph post full of inner dialogue and utterly inconsequential filler with either nothing, or a very small amount, for me to play off of...will make me end our game.  Likewise, getting a post of only a few sentences with little to no description or character development...will make me end our game.  I understand writer's block, and I'm available to talk with my partners if they're experiencing it, and need some inspiration, or even just some time to work through whatever is causing it.  I'd rather wait a week for a really good post, than get half-assed, weak ones every day.  My personal O/Os are linked in my signature, I encourage you to peruse them before PMing me.

Okay, on with the show.

She's the thorn in his side.  A savvy, intelligent girl with massive amounts of untapped potential, who seems to do everything in her power to make everyone else's lives difficult.  She cuts classes, starts fights, vandalizes school property, rebels against any and all rules, and in general just has a 'Fuck you' attitude about everything.

He is a long-suffering high school teacher/administrator.  He's glimpsed past her hard-as-nails exterior, witnessed the brilliant mind behind the bad behavior, and the gentle heart beyond the seemingly impenetrable walls.  He keeps trying to break through the barriers and get her to stop fighting against her own potential, but every time she throws it in his face.  He just wants to see her do well in life, to find peace with herself and the world, so that she can stop making her own life more difficult.

I added a sort of flash fiction story down on the third post in this thread, to sort of give you a better idea of my character and the setting, as well as how the story might possibly begin to play out between the two main characters.

It was recently brought to my attention that I was unintentionally restricting the options of my roleplay partners.  I am perfectly happy playing this game with males, females and transgenders!  I prefer the character my partner plays to be a heterosexual male, but the gender or sexuality of my partner is not at all important to me!

I will be playing an eighteen year old high school Junior, who has been left behind once before due to cutting too many classes and being expelled from school.  I already have my character in mind.  My idea here is that the relationship between the two starts off adversarial, where he's trying to do his best to keep his temper while she does everything in her power to drive him up the wall.  The relationship will change gradually, and I mean it might be a month or more of RP before anything of a sexual nature happens between them.  I want this to be a very story-driven game, where we work together to really flesh these characters out, and grow their relationship into something that feels natural.  There will definitely be room for us both to play multiple characters, all of them background characters, as the story revolves around our mains.

I want to spend a good bit of time proir to play, and during the game, plotting with my partner, finding new ways to keep this story fresh and interesting.  And, yes, this is meant to be a long-term game.

I want to work with my partner to create the characters, their backstories, personalities and everything in between.  I see this almost as more of a co-written story than a traditional RP.  And yes, I am only willing to do this in a thread.  No email, IM, or PM game requests, please.

So, if you're interested, drop me a PM letting me know, and I'll check you out to see if I feel we can do this together. 

If you have any questions about this, just leave a post here and I'll be happy to answer them!

Bibliophilia

Added in a second inspiration source, meant to show the progression from the beginning of the relationship to the end.

Bibliophilia

The girl was mousey, her dull brown hair thin and hanging lankly around her unfortunately long face, the lack-luster strands woven into twin braids that were far too juvenile for a high school student.  She was small, and wore thick glasses, and dressed in clothing that couldn't have made her more of a target unless someone had painted a bulls eye on the back of her frumpy blouse.  If they'd lived in a Stephen King novel, she would have untapped telekinetic and pyrokinetic powers, and she wouldn't have needed Vivian to step in.

But, as this was reality, she was helpless to fend off the trio of vicious girls that had cornered her in the hall.  Various other students stood around watching, some laughing and shouting encouragement, and others seemingly in shock as they witnessed the cruelty being heaped upon the faultless girl.

"I can't believe you even bother getting out of bed in the morning.  If I looked as bad as you, I'd hide under the covers for the rest of my life."  The pretty brunette with impeccable style and cold blue eyes reached out to pinch one of her victim's cheeks harshly, hissing her words, and twisting her face into a horror mask of hatred.

The small girl flinched back from the pinch, which left a bright red mark on her pale, freckled skin, and brought tears to her surprisingly pretty green eyes.  She made no attempt to fight back or even flee, merely huddling against the wall as if hoping she might melt into it and, thus, escape the humiliating and hurtful scene.

"Uhg!  Jessica, I think you're giving her way too much credit.  If I had to look at that stupid face in the mirror every day, I'd just end it.  Blow my brains out or slit my wrists.  Not like anyone would really miss her."  A blond girl with a cruel smirk reached out to grab and yank one of the dangling braids, jerking it hard enough to draw a soft yelp of pain from their prey.  The sound brought a delighted grin the the blonde's face, and she gave another hard tug, driving the bespectacled girl to her knees, where she huddled with a pitiful mewl.

Vivian approached the crowd with curiosity, shoving her way to the front without much trouble, since most of the other students thought she was a witch, and knew her reputation.  She was dangerous, and could curse you.  Most of them only half-believed the witch part, but they all knew she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty.  She'd been in plenty of fights, and she didn't pull any punches.  When she reached the front and saw what was happening, she pushed through to stand between the girl in the glasses and the three bitches bullying her.  They stepped back, but didn't retreat, feeling safe with their superior numbers.

"Fuck off, Vivian.  This has nothing to do with you!"  The brunette was the first to speak up, tilting her chin up as if even being forced to speak to the low-class, tattooed girl was demeaning.

"Yeah!  Aren't you, like, gonna be late for work?  Those fat guys you whore yourself out to aren't gonna suck their own dicks, you know."  The third girl, a short-haired brunette with brown eyes and a receding chin, clearly the 'tagalong' girl of the group, spoke up finally.

Vivian took a step toward the three of them, flashing a smile and moving her flinty gaze from one girl to the next, before letting it linger on the blue-eyed brunette, knowing she was the leader of this particular pack of two-legged hyenas.  "Speaking of fat guys paying to get their dicks sucked...Remind your dad that my prices have gone up, Jessica.  Especially for the freaky shit he's into.  I'm not changing his diapers and powdering his giant ass for a piddly fifty bucks anymore, yeah?"

The brunette's nostrils flared and she let out a shriek, flinging herself at Vivian and grabbing for a handful of her hair, rage stripping away the last of the humanity in her face.  Vivian let out a husky laugh as she met the girl, and they fell to the floor in a tangle of limbs.  It didn't take long for Vivian to roll them so that she was straddling the slender brunette, pinning her arms above her head by the wrists, and leaning down into her face to speak slowly and deliberately.  "Now, now...how would Daddy feel if his precious little girl got herself suspended for fighting in school, Jess?  The next time I catch you fucking with..."  She paused and glanced over at the girl with the glasses, who was staring in amazement, and fear.  "Hey...What's your name?"

The girl swallowed and finally found her voice, answering softly.  "Melissa."

Vivian nodded and looked back down to Jessica, who was writhing and struggling beneath her weight.  "Right...Melissa.  The next time I catch you fucking with Melissa, I'm going to take a pair of scissors to your pretty hair and leave you bald as a motherfuckin' Buddhist monk.  Understand, sweetpea?"  She leaned back, then took the opportunity to backhand the girl across the face before climbing off her, smirking.

The smirk died when HE forced his way through the crowd of students and grabbed her arm, one of the others having gone to fetch him when Vivian stepped in.  "Alright!  Everyone disperse, the show's over!  Vivian, you're coming back to my office with me.  Jessica, go see the nurse about an ice pack."

Vivian spit out a soft curse as she was practically dragged down the hall, away from the others, shooting a poisonous glare back over her shoulder at the other students.  Melissa included.  After all, they all knew why she'd done what she had done, but not a damned one of them spoke up in her defense.  Not a single fucking one.

It just proved to her what she already knew.  You couldn't trust anyone but yourself.  So, fuck'em.  Fuck all of them.

Bibliophilia

Just want to clarify, since it's possible the flash fiction might have brought on some confusion.  Vivian is not a prostitute.  I'm considering having her work as a phone sex operator, or possibly a cam girl, but that sort of thing will have to be discussed with my partner.  I want this to be fully collaborative, with us tossing ideas back and forth, figuring out what works for both of us equally.  This is just the basic premise of the story, and one glimpse into the setting.

Vivian has a troubled home-life, alcoholic, abusive father/father-figure, and weary/beaten-down mother.  Or something along those lines.  There are psychological reasons for her trust-issues and anger, but it's largely a front she puts up, holding the world at arm's-length because she's afraid of letting anyone get too close.  She doesn't actually sleep around, but everyone at school assumes she does.  She, obviously, can't cast spells, but I see her possibly being into Wicca/Paganism, in her unique way.  The other students either blow the truth wildly out of proportion, or simply make things up.  None of them really know her, no one does, because she keeps everything very close to the chest and doesn't bother denying what is said about her.

Bibliophilia

Fixed the title, since I was being a total goober and accidently excluding female and transgender partners.  Added a note to the first post pointing out that all genders and sexualities are welcome.