The Weird West (vague idea, interest check/building)

Started by Google, March 21, 2014, 05:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

Still trying to figure that out myself but you can pm me any ideas you have
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

Yandros

I would very much be interested in something like this!  I simply adore Deadlands, and all that comes from the genre it rests in.  As well, if you were looking for any sort of inspiration, perhaps you should look into a book called Dead Iron by Devon Monk.  It captures a good bit of the Weird West feel, without going straight into Deadlands.

yesiroleplay

this is just too good an idea to let it roll over onto page 2.

We need to play this!

Zeth

I played Deadlands: Reloaded using the Savage Worlds system. are we talking a system game or Freeform?

VonDoom

Never played Deadlands, but I did read The Sixth Gun (need to catch up on that sometime) and am familiar with its themes. Very interested in playing, I have a bounty hunter character from a Pathfinder Western game who'd probably be a perfect fit I'd love to revive.

My preference leans towards freeform or rules-lite storytelling systems (The Window, for example).
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

consortium11

For those interested in a weird west setting several of the people who posted above are part of a re-opened Doomtown game which uses the weird west/Deadlands setting and is system-lite (so light it's nearly freeform).

Interest thread here and OOC thread here

VonDoom

Isn't this thread here to garner interest for and focus the starting of a new game by Google? Dunno how he feels about it, but all this focus and now ads for Doomtown sure would put a damper on my own motivation if I wanted to get a game started.

Edit: Whoops, I missed that this thread had already lain bare for a good month. Sorry about that.

O&O

consortium11

Quote from: VonDoom on April 25, 2014, 05:20:35 AM
Isn't this thread here to garner interest for and focus the starting of a new game by Google? Dunno how he feels about it, but all this focus and now ads for Doomtown sure would put a damper on my own motivation if I wanted to get a game started.

Without wanting to speak for Google it has been pretty much a month since his last post on the topic (which leaves it likely dead), from what I understand of his position he was more interested in the playing than the GM'ing and wasn't actually sure he was in a position to set-up and GM the game (which I think that fact he hasn't posted on it again attests to).

With that in mind I'm not entirely sure it's unfair to mention that for those interested in a weird west setting (not a particularly common one on E from my experience) there is an existing (but fairly newly relaunched) game using the setting. If Google can get a separate game up then all power to him and those he gets to join; E is big enough for more than one game in a setting. If on the other hand he can't (for whatever reason) but people still want to play in the setting then maybe Doomtown could be enjoyable for them.

VonDoom

Yeah, I only noticed that after I posted, hence my edit. You're right, of course. Sorry again!

O&O