AndyZ may run Scion

Started by AndyZ, October 22, 2011, 07:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_(role-playing_game)

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/whitewolf/index.php?title=Scion

Lately I've been having the urge to try to run a Scion game.  I don't usually try to run more than one game at a time, but I've got a few ideas and want to see if there'd even be interest.  I have a few ideas but may just end up running one of the oneshots if all else fails.

I've never run Scion, but I've run all sorts of White Wolf games, including Exalted, so I can probably handle it.

House Rules I'm thinking so far:

Legend 2.  Legend can't be further bought with BP or XP, but will be rewarded during major events to keep the entire group at the same level. 

Epic Perception will be used to apply automatic damage successes to firearms and crossbows in the same way that Epic Strength is used.

Epic Stamina will allow for strenuous activity for a number of days equal to the autosuccesses, and then a number of hours equal to Stamina+Fortitude, and then further normal rules apply.  I may change this after I see how it goes.

Scent the Divine may be purchased but will not be awarded for free at creation.

Having a 1 in an Attribute indicates a notable deficiency which should be roleplayed.  However, a 1 in a Virtue indicates something which has no particular bearing upon the individual Scion.  For example a Scion with a 1 in Manipulation will be a terrible liar, likely quite gullible as well, but a Scion with 1 in Valor needn't necessarily be a coward.

A Mental DV will be derived from a characters Willpower + Integrity + Legend, halved, round up.

I would like to get people who are able to post at least once a day.  Obviously, this won't be continually possible and emergencies will happen, but I'd appreciate people who can usually do so, rather than get some people who can post several times a day and some people who have difficulty posting more than once a day.

For setting, I'm planning on starting out in a big city, let's call it Newhaven.  It'll be fictional, and if anyone has any particular needs for their character (such as gun control laws), they can let me know and I'll accommodate.

Things decided about Newhaven
Newhaven has one big river that flows through the middle of the city, and is near the coast.  The north side tends to be richer and the south side poorer.

If someone who isn't familiar with system games is interested, I'll see about allowing people in as some sort of mortal or quasi-mortal being like an amazon, ghost or something.  I'm sure somebody will have non-relic Birthrights that they won't mind someone else playing.

If a virtue fits a God fairly well, and the listed one does not, you can swap over without the listed XP penalty.  Be ready to make a case for why the listed one doesn't fit and why the unlisted one does fit.

Alternate rules from the wiki will be considered on a case by case.  Some I will allow, some I won't, mostly based on what's already in the book and trying to follow the spirit of that.

I'm playing with the idea of a type of jewelry which allows mental communication between all those who own those pieces of jewelry, as a one dot Relic.  I may not do this since it makes Telepathy less useful, but it's something that I love to have in games.  Activating it would be a point of Legend for scenelong and work within the range of a city, and send only thoughts that the person wants to send.  If enough people like this idea, let me know and we'll see if it's workable.

If I ask for a roll, it'll be based on the post you just made, and stunt dice may be awarded.  Therefore, it's best to have good posts on everything.

XP will be awarded to everyone at the same rate, and if anyone gets a +3 stunt, I'll give the bonus to everyone.  If anyone feels that this is unfair to give the XP to everyone when someone earns a +3, I can be talked down on that part, but I like it because it keeps everyone rolling in XP.

I'd appreciate if people can post how they spend their bonus points.  It'll make it easier for me to count up their sheets.

Talking with Muse brings up the idea of Elsewhere.  For those who aren't familiar with Exalted, Miyu has a similar thing in her game, which hopefully she won't mind me reusing, though I'll remove it if she is anything but honored: For one dot, a relic can be banished into an extradimensional space at the cost of one Legend.  Pulling it back is a reflexive action.  Similarly for one dot, the weapon can be a tattoo upon the body that can be drawn out for use at the cost of one Legend.

Having duplicate weapons which provide no function beyond aesthetics will not cost extra Legend points.  If you want two swords with identical stats to wield them double-handed, I don't see why that would cost extra points.  Using the example of Donnie Rhodes' guns as my reasoning for this one.

IC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=122915.0

OOC Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=122865.0

Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=122866.0
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

AndyZ

More rules, which will be added to the first post, but will also be posted here so that people who aren't checking for such things will see them.

If a virtue fits a God fairly well, and the listed one does not, you can swap over without the listed XP penalty.  Be ready to make a case for why the listed one doesn't fit and why the unlisted one does fit.

I'm playing with the idea of a type of jewelry which allows mental communication between all those who own those pieces of jewelry, as a one dot Relic.  I may not do this since it makes Telepathy less useful, but it's something that I love to have in games.  Activating it would be a point of Legend for scenelong and work within the range of a city, and send only thoughts that the person wants to send.  If enough people like this idea, let me know and we'll see if it's workable.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

AndyZ

More rules I'm thinking:

If I ask for a roll, it'll be based on the post you just made, and stunt dice may be awarded.  Therefore, it's best to have good posts on everything.

XP will be awarded to everyone at the same rate, and if anyone gets a +3 stunt, I'll give the bonus to everyone.  If anyone feels that this is unfair to give the XP to everyone when someone earns a +3, I can be talked down on that part, but I like it because it keeps everyone rolling in XP.

Sharon

Keelan

I have the first scion book, the potential to get the others, but have never played... you don't mind a newbie do you?  I have familiarity with Exalted 2, oWoD, and nWoD (essentially everything else White Wolf) if that helps my credibility, and the fact I'm a fast learner.  I'm probably going to play an Artemis, Athena, Thor, or something that would let her be fairly physical and/or intelligent Scion.  Still working out the details, but I hope you'll be fine with me playing in the game.

One question: how sex-lenient will this game be?  Will we have to worry about NC or EX?  Is sex allowable at all, occasionally, alternate thread?  Just curious since it's a group game, and I'm not interested in participating in sex scenes involving male characters.  If someone else does that's perfectly fine, I just don't want my girl to be a participant (unless a mood hits me and I feel otherwise of course.)

AndyZ

I don't mind people being new, although I'm not very good at teaching.  Sharon's new as well.

If people don't want the game going any further than BDSM, that's fine with me also.  People can let me know how they want things to be in that regard.

I don't have any problems with sex being in the game.  I could make a separate thread for it if people wanted, although if that's done, it would imply that people have snuck off to a private place.  Part of the usefulness for having it all on one thread would be if people want the risk of others locating them.

If players have hard Offs, though, that's fine and they won't be pushed against, so long as I'm informed.

To summarize, I tend to be pretty flexible on all such things.  My other game is in Extreme, but that's more based on the nature of the inherent gore of zombies getting chopped into pieces.  This game probably won't follow that pattern, although it might if people want that.

Right now we have one person who doesn't want to any sort of sexual aggression from male characters, and that will be respected, though if we have people who do want to be molested, I'll put the game in NC or such and just only do things to that one.

Keelan

I can agree with the 'no sexual aggression from males,' obviously; on the off chance I'm in the mood for men, my gal would be the dominant one (femboys are fun in that regard...).  Being 'molested' can be a fun if playful groping, even by men, but anything further I require talk before hand (permission, in essence).

And I do agree with the way you'll handle sex in-game; keeping it in one thread would be best given that scenario.  Some DM/GM/STs feel it 'bogs down' the game, hence my asking.

Also, since you mention it... I would say NC-Exotic, 'cause sometimes my gals tend to like it dubiously rough, or pseudo-NC.  However, if the other players do not like this, then I will be fine to stick to their limits instead if it would make them uncomfortable otherwise.  Tying into that, how does everyone feel about hermaphrodites, transexuals, futanari, and exotic mythical creatures and/or tentacle creatures in sexual situations?  Just wanting to clarify limits is all.

And how many people are you looking for in this game, out of curiosity?

AndyZ

I think requiring permission is E rules, not just my own.

I don't mind people having sex so long as they keep posting.  I've been in too many games lately that die because of one or two people that just stop posting and ruin things for everyone.

As far as for Scions, though, I don't expect too many will be true futanari, although being a hermaphrodite is entirely possible.  I can definitely consider some types of exotic monsters depending on if people have specific things that they'd definitely like to see, especially if someone gets kidnapped.

Oh, and I'd appreciate if people can post how they spend their bonus points.  It'll make it easier for me to count up their sheets.

AndyZ

As far as number of people, 5-7 would be nice, since it'd leave a decent buffer if people drop out or stop posting without any warning.  Then I can just mark people On Hiatus or Idle or whatever until they want to start posting again.  If I only get 3 or 4, I can run with that, but it'd be difficult.

Miyu

I am in as the daughter of Bastet

Sharon

first off I call Dibs on Apollo!

Quote from: Keelan on October 22, 2011, 10:01:00 PM
Also, since you mention it... I would say NC-Exotic, 'cause sometimes my gals tend to like it dubiously rough, or pseudo-NC.  However, if the other players do not like this, then I will be fine to stick to their limits instead if it would make them uncomfortable otherwise.  Tying into that, how does everyone feel about hermaphrodites, transexuals, futanari, and exotic mythical creatures and/or tentacle creatures in sexual situations?  Just wanting to clarify limits is all.

I am okay with the game being in NC.

As for your question Keelan- I am good with everything that you have listed. I don't mind trying something new. I may even put it in my On and Character thread. I call it ON because there really is no Off on that page *Laugh*

AndyZ

The game will likely be in NC-Exotic unless anyone objects.

Depending on if I get ideas when things start, though, I may stop things when folks hit Demigod, that being a pretty nice stopping point if all else fails.  But, we'll see how things go.

avorae

I would love to join this game if at all possible.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

AndyZ

Quote from: avorae on October 23, 2011, 06:25:01 PM
I would love to join this game if at all possible.

So long as you can post at least once a day, I'd love to have you.

avorae

I should be able to manage that...

AndyZ

So far I have Miyu wanting to play a Scion of Bastet, and Sharon wanting to play a Scion of Apollo.  How about the rest of you?

Keelan

Trying to decide between Vidar, Thor, and Baron Samedi... leaning towards the first one and making her a cop, detective, or possibly ex military, definitely a skilled unarmed combatant any way I spin it.  I'd only be starting out with Jotunblud and Justice though in that case; the rest would go to Epic Attributes...

Keelan

Pardon the double-post, but how do you want us to make the sheets?  Email PDFs to you?  Make ones using BBCode?

AndyZ

Ah, yeah, Vidar's one of the ones that get ripped off powers-wise.  If you choose him, you can feel free to put all the rest into epic attributes.  As a god of vengeance, I can also understand if you want to swap out one of the Aesir virtues for Vengeance, and won't penalize your XP for it.

Double-posts don't bother me for OOC stuff because it makes it easier to tell when someone's posted than when someone just edits their post.  I've been known to miss stuff because I only check the version e-mailed to me.

It doesn't really matter to me how I get the sheets, but I would recommend something that can be posted on here in order to let everyone be able to read through them.  Unless people want to keep their stuff private, which is acceptable, though I don't really know why someone would want that since you'll be working as a team.

Keelan

Yeah, I'll go with Vidar, and the setup that way is great; Vidar is 'better than' the rest of the Aesir in every way by the description in-book, and the Epic Attributes like that help show that... works for me :3  And I'll probably swap 'Expression' for 'Vengeance', since it DOES fit much better.

I made a char sheet for Exalted 2 in BBCode, so I'll try and modify it and if it looks good, i'll post the skeleton of the sheet on here for everyone to use if they so choose. 

AndyZ

Whatever works ^_^

My style of GMing works primarily on that I try to make sure that all the players are reasonably balanced against each other.  I don't mind if all the players therefore become superlatively powerful in comparison to the rest of the world.  I can always just have stronger NPCs ^_^

Oh, and alternate rules from the wiki will be considered on a case by case.  Some I will allow, some I won't, mostly based on what's already in the book and trying to follow the spirit of that.

avorae

I am thinking of going with Amaterasu of the Amatsukami. I am not sure what role to fill as of yet as it depoends on what the other two are going with though I am thinking more of grease monkey.

AndyZ

I recommend everyone having at least a little combat expertise, but it's not required by any means.  A grease monkey could certainly work, especially if you have lots of driving skill and can help everyone get around.

Anyone thinking of getting the telepathy relic that I initially suggested?  I'll call it acceptable if at least three people want to purchase it.  Basically, the common factor will be a sliver of a diamond, whether it's kept on a ring, necklace or whatever.

avorae

Quote from: AndyZ on October 24, 2011, 09:36:20 PM
I recommend everyone having at least a little combat expertise, but it's not required by any means.  A grease monkey could certainly work, especially if you have lots of driving skill and can help everyone get around.

Anyone thinking of getting the telepathy relic that I initially suggested?  I'll call it acceptable if at least three people want to purchase it.  Basically, the common factor will be a sliver of a diamond, whether it's kept on a ring, necklace or whatever.

Yea I am going to have a decent drive skill in at least one or two vehicles and a good amount of repair skills. It is something I've never done before so it'll be a different  character for me to try out.

I am thinking of getting that relic myself as it will be easier for her to communicate with the group withiut having to let go of the wheel if need be.

Keelan

I think I might be able to take that relic, considering I'll have a fair amount of extra Birthright dots to spend on things besides Purview Relics.  Not to mention what to spend my BP on... so that makes 2 of us for it