News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLaughingOne

Right!! Just finished my 1000 blood angel army with 2 varients...

Vanguard detatch-
2 HQs,
Jump captain with thunder hammer and inferno pistol, relic of armour indominous

Librarian dread with meltagun (wings of sanguinius, boil blood, and smite)

Elite choices are..
Death company with 5 hand flamers and 5 chain swords mix in their red thirst and black rage, thats 2 attacks base, +1 attack each when charging or charged, +1 attack from chain swords for total of 4 melee attacks each a turn, And! An auto +1 to wound rolls, so no matter what i wound on at least a 5+. This is my anti infantry squad

Reivers with grapnels and combat blades, (and red thirst also means at least 5+ for melee damage) more anti infantry/shock

Vanguard vets with 5 inferno pistols, and 5 thunder hammers amd jump jets. Oh yeah. This is the bell ringer squad. Anti armour. 11 strength 8, ap-3, 3d attacks that also gets that nice +1 to wound rolls. Against infantry... thats gonna be ugly as even marines are like a wound on 2+, further moved to a 1+..? Or is it always a 2+ either way.. plus the ability to get within 3 inches, fire inferno pistols with damage special, charge, and then next go still be able to fallback and fire again to get out of possible explode range.

And... the bloody cherry is a nice big redemptor dread. Heavy onslaught, plus onslaught, plus fragstorm, plus icarus... anti horde and air at range.

This leaves me with 63pts... and no idea what to do.

Variant 2 is the same, but replace the librarian with primaris captain with master stalker bolt rifle and power sword, and a devastator squad with 2 heavy bolters, 2 las cannons, and serg with power maul and plasma pistolfor some additional ranged menacing. Spend 1 cp for extra relic and slap veritas vitea on prim capt. Anytime i spend a cp, roll d6, 5+ get one cp back.

I like both varients, specially lib dread to possibly fly up and put force halberd through cockpit of friends jet... :3

Hehe, my 1500pt is simply taking my imperial knight  gallent (thermal cannon, thunderstrike gauntlet, iron storm missile pod, meltagun) and glueing him on via superheavy aux detatchment.

Still playing around...

Part of me wants to put in a relic leviathen with storm cannon array or cyclonic melta lance.. stuffem in drop pod for a "bring me my brown greaves" moment... ;3

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Arkaniel

I like 40k

I have about 10000 points worth of imperial fists, so I’m not going to list all of them here. I like the game and the lore, but I prefer playing for fun, because competitively, too many players I know use the most convoluted game mechanics and army builds to play hyperconpetitively in a non fun way, similar to the Death Stars of the previous edition.

I also enjoy Horus Heresy/30k, a lot, as many of my imperial fists can be used for that setting as well, not to mention that I have a full Legio Custodes army for this game version.

wander

QuoteAgainst infantry... thats gonna be ugly as even marines are like a wound on 2+, further moved to a 1+..? Or is it always a 2+ either way.. plus the ability to get within 3 inches, fire inferno pistols with damage special, charge, and then next go still be able to fallback and fire again to get out of possible explode range.

This depends what you fire against, though say you were wounding normally on a 2+ (which usually is fairly hard to do these days, it needs to be double the toughness of what you're firing against to do that, so you need a S8 attack or higher for 2+ against T4, which is standard marine) and you get +1 to wound, it'd still be 2+ to wound as the rules state that a roll of 1 always fails (though of course there are many rules that allow you to reroll 1s, so massive cheese potential there).

TheLaughingOne

Aaahhh, forgot the 1s thing. Which... would make good for keeping a chaplin or lieutenant around...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

Wounding on a 2+ and rerolling 1s I think though is badwrongfun and you should feel bad for doing it.  ::)

Arkaniel

You can make a castle with guilliman, and lots of devastators and such in a ruin or bunker. Re roll to hit and re roll to wound for everyone. Then ,you can place a couple of rhinos around the ruin, so no one can deep strike nearby or can assault you easily. Better yet, razorbacks with twin heavy flamers, so you kill a lot with overwatch.

That’s a nasty and utterly boring space marine build

wander

TheLaughingOne

I find it kinda odd that you have to be more the 9 inches away with a drop pod... i mean, a huge thing was the drop pod massacre, but now...

Sure! Use phosphor weapons, rad guns, volkite, melta, horribly poisonous crystal shards, warp tainted bolt roinds.. but dont you drop those armored pods on people... thats just way to far.
My Ons and Offs!

Arkaniel

They nerfed the drop pod too much. It's become nearly unplayable

HairyHeretic

I'm not overly fond of the idea of taking Primarchs in a game.  Maybe for an Apocalypse game, or the end of a massive campaign, but seeing them pop up in a relatively small game, it breaks the immersion for me (so to speak).

I'm not a power gamer or tournament player though. I'd rather go the narrative route, and tell a story with my game, or use the inspiration of a game to write more stories about the characters I've built into my army.

YMMV of course, but I wouldn't miss Primarchs, Knights and other similar big things disappearing from regular games.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

TheLaughingOne

Im back and forth. Feels odd thinking that girlyman might suddenly pop up in a 1000 point army and going "doesnt he have better things to do?" Knights i can kinda see, you have dozens if not hundreds of them potentially in a warzone, and one could potentially be in that spot... but RG? Id think he eould be somewhere more important..
My Ons and Offs!

Arkaniel

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on December 18, 2017, 03:27:04 PM
Im back and forth. Feels odd thinking that girlyman might suddenly pop up in a 1000 point army and going "doesnt he have better things to do?" Knights i can kinda see, you have dozens if not hundreds of them potentially in a warzone, and one could potentially be in that spot... but RG? Id think he eould be somewhere more important..

I don’t play rowboat girlyman, but it’s a popular build in local 2000 point tournaments. I prefer playing with a captain, or if the story allows with Pedro Kantor and that’s it. Lots of infantry and recently I love playing with a land raider full of assault centurions. They are good!

wander

I do want to play Mortarion, though I wouldn't dream of him coming in before a 1500pt game. I know that sounds low, though I'm not a competitive player at all if you look at my own list, if I was I'd run cultists + big guns, grenade-spam or Typhus' zombie hordes with Fast movers etc.

He's (Mortarion) pretty balla, though at the other side of the coin, my friend is a netlister and so I need to keep my list somewhat playable, whilst still keeping my own handprint on it.

As it is though, I play Death Guard because they're tanky enough to take on stuff and play to my style of wargaming of foot-slog marching in shooting then slapping melee down, shunting off as many wounds off their armour as they can on the way.

Having the Plaguecaster be my HQ atm has been fun, as he's characterful. No tougher than a basic Plague Marine, has a short range pistol where it's better to throw a Blight Grenade as a ranged attack, though don't get close to him because he'll Minecraft Creeper run at you and give some mortal wounds out like infected candy!  ;D

Fun thing happened last game with me, my mate took out my Rhino of Cultists and because they were close to a squad of his, I used a CP to explode it instantly... It took out most of the enemy squad though in the end it also took out 8 of the Cultists! (I was rolling real shit that day). Basically the 9th cultist got shot and my 'Commissar Alexis' fled 'cos of it. ::) Total waste of time and near 140pts just deleted. ::)

... Still we both had a big laugh about it and that in the end makes stupid things like that fun.  ;D

HairyHeretic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=medYpKTrBAQ

Vid is adult rated, so you may need to sign into YouTube to see it.

Voices are overpowered a little in places by the music / sfx, but all the same ...

Between this and the Lord Inquisitor, this is what GW ought to be doing. Plus there's enough widespread sci fi appeal that a proper film or even tv show could be made these days.

Dan Abnett's Inquisition series, Eisenhorn and Ravenor.
The Horus Heresy has scope enough for years of tv.
Even Commissar Blackadder, if they wanted to do something a little less grimdark.

I'd still vote the Heresy though.

The Great Crusade, the recovery of the Primarchs, and then .. Let the Galaxy Burn.

:D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

heh, i saw that, and like how in several scenes the terminators are just randomly firing their combi-bolters into the ground...
My Ons and Offs!

HairyHeretic

I noticed one incident of that. It's not perfect, but it's still pretty damn good :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HairyHeretic

On a separate note, I'm now getting tempted to work up a Death Guard force with these Nurglings as the character models  ;D

Assuming I can get them without having to buy the full kits they come with.

I'm not so fond of some of the Death Guard models, but these I do like :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/12/26/the-second-day-of-nurgle-great-unclean-onegw-homepage-post-3/

I'd really love either the new GUO or the Rotigus character to represent my Death Guard's Daemon Prince of Nurgle. Would fit way more thematically with the rest of my force than the vanilla Age of Sigmar Daemon Prince model.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Lol, I saw talk of that on reddit, is that a legit model or a conversion?  :D

Update on my army list; I've currently added some bits in and it stands at 850pts, though I'm thinking of switching weapons on my Helbrute and that'll give me the option to really consider what to do with the last 150pts~ish (give or take with tweaks).

List of my ponderings;

1x Bloat-Drone with Plaguespitters = 158pts
1x Blight Hauler = 142pts
1x Plague-Crawler Tank = 140+
1x Chaos Predator = 130+

Or I could do a real rejig and see if I can swap the Helbrute for a Defiler and see where that gets me. I probably won't, as the Helbrute is very DG tactically and benefits from Inexorable March, so I can fire off dat Twin-Las at 3+ BS even if it moves. Plus the Crazed rule makes aggroing it a scary prospect to the enemy.

I need some good infantry slaying shenanigans, so the Bloat-Drone seems a good call, however extra cover from the Blight-Hauler is a good call. In other games I've used the Helbrute and it's Twin-Las to take on my mate's Broadside in sniper battles across the field, though if he gets another Suit like that in his force, the Plague-Crawler could be a good call for added long range support. I know he wants at some point a Ghostkeel or a Riptide, though I know he has 2x squads of Stealth Suits now and they are a bane to my Plague Marines.

HairyHeretic

Pretty sure its a conversion. The post I saw with it, someone else said they were getting the coat off eBay, so I'm guessing that's probably off an IG model of some kind. It made me laugh though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

It is pretty great. :)

So in bed last night I thought that my Daemon Prince needed something to keep up with it so it could get protection. And I didn't really want to have my lone Rhino or Helbrute as a screen. ^^; (Especially as the Helbrute moves 8" like the Prince, which would limit my deployment options).

So I went with much deliberation to keep the Twin-Las on my Helbrute and get a Myphitic Blight-Hauler. Because giving a Daemon Prince a 2+ save to charge in just makes sense, right? ^_^ That way I can keep Suppurating Plate on my Plaguecaster who would otherwise be fairly squishy as the support HQ. Keeps the aggro off him a bit too as my mate fears Miasma of Pestilence's -1 to hit buff and tries to gank him when he can.

1000pt army of Death Guard (998pts);

HQ;
- Daemon Prince (156)
contagion power: Blades of Putrefaction.

- Plaguecaster (110) w/ Suppurating Plate relic.
contagion powers: Miasma of pestilence + Putrescent vitality.

Troops;
- 7x Plague Marines (2x Blight Launchers, champ w/ plasmagun + plague sword) (153)
- 7x Plague Marines (2x Blight Launchers, champ w/ plasmagun + plague sword) (153)

- 10x Cultists w/autopistols (40)
- Chaos Rhino w/Havoc Launcher + 2nd combi-bolter (85)

Elite;
- Twin-Las/Fist Helbrute w/combi-bolter (159)

Fast Attack;
- Blight-Hauler (142)

The Helbrute doubles-up as my Heavy Attack with the Twin-Lascannon, making him a cheap corner-shop version of the Defiler for my needs. I could have shifted some points around and replaced a Blight-Launcher in each PM squad with a Plasmagun, though I prefer the Blight-Launcher as it's d3 damage and a Plague Weapon, so I can reroll 1s to wound. It's also 10pts compared to 13, so I could slip combi-bolters on my Rhino and Helbrute for more dakka (you can never have enough dakka!).

Now my main thoughts is how to arm my Daemon Prince.
Do I replace his sword with double-talons, reducing damage to 2 per attack though getting a neat x7 attacks in melee?

HairyHeretic

I haven't really played enough games in 8th to offer a useful response :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: wander on December 28, 2017, 04:13:50 AM
Now my main thoughts is how to arm my Daemon Prince.
Do I replace his sword with double-talons, reducing damage to 2 per attack though getting a neat x7 attacks in melee?

Whats the damage/attacks of the sword normal wise?
My Ons and Offs!

wander

Hellforged Sword = S: User (7), AP -2, Dmg 3.

Malefic Talons (Pair) = S: User (7), AP -2, Dmg 2.

The Daemon Prince gets 4 attacks usually in melee, with a single talon he gets +1 (by default he gets a sword and one talon). If you give him a pair, his attacks go up to 7.

So, you could do three sword strikes and then get two talon swipes, or go for x7 talon swipes instead. Less damage, though the St and AP are the same, so more chances to wound and pile the damage up.

He has WS 2+, so out of four attacks, three should hit on average. Out of 7, that's probably one miss on average also. So, versus a Tau Commander at T5, he'll be wounding on 3+. From three hits, two on average would wound; at most that'd be six damage not counting saves. Out of six hits, four should wound (potential 8 damage, not counting saves).

Seems math-hammering it, the twin talons would be the way to go. Tau Commander has a 3+ save, reduced to 5+ from either weapon. That would kind of average out, as out of four wounds, one would probably get saved for 6 damage too.