An issue I'm having with themes (solution found)

Started by Rogue, July 10, 2015, 06:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue

So I switched themes to try and see if I liked a new one. I'm not even sure if I actually changed it or if I just previewed it, but I immediately switched it back to my preferred theme. I did this via the Profile>Look and Layout > Current theme. And each time I switch devices, it puts me back on the theme. It's more of an annoyance at this point, but it doesn't seem to stick.

Edit: Fixed!

How I fixed it: Basically it was thinking that the theme I was using was named "amberrainbow_ns" even if it was "rouoctober_NS" Or just "amberrainbow". So I fixed it by making it recognize another theme (opening the dropdown menu and clicking on a different theme) then, without clicking use this theme, switched back to "amberrainbow_ns". It then recognized that I actually wanted that theme rather than whatever theme it thought had that name. Odd but that fixed it.

Oreo

Are you setting the theme in the Elliquiy 2 option? It doesn't stay set in the default option.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Rogue

Quote from: Oreo on July 10, 2015, 07:22:17 PM
Are you setting the theme in the Elliquiy 2 option? It doesn't stay set in the default option.

Yes. I have it set in both.

Oreo

Quote from: Rogue on July 10, 2015, 07:26:50 PM
Yes. I have it set in both.

Have you cleared your E cookies? Then tried again? If yes, this needs more than my meager understanding. >.<

Link to E cookies

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Rogue

Quote from: Oreo on July 10, 2015, 07:32:29 PM
Have you cleared your E cookies? Then tried again? If yes, this needs more than my meager understanding. >.<

Link to E cookies

Haven't cleared my cookies. But I'm confused how this would affect all three devices if it's a cookie problem. Will try one moment.

(heh I'm talking to Oreo and it's a cookie problem)

Rogue

Okay, so I tried clearing the cookies and when I logged back in it was again in the wrong theme.

I am specifically using (or wanting to use) the amberrainbow_ns theme.

Also, whenever I change the theme (for instance changed it to the October theme) and come back to my setting it will still say I'm in the amberrainbow_ns theme.

Nymphadora

Quote from: Rogue on July 10, 2015, 07:38:50 PM
Also, whenever I change the theme (for instance changed it to the October theme) and come back to my setting it will still say I'm in the amberrainbow_ns theme.

Yes it says that for me as well but I am using the Springtime theme and that is what is displaying for me even though it says rainbow in the setting initially. I don't think that is related to the problem you are having.

Have you changed the theme on each device, or just one?
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Rogue

I originally changed it on the one and changed it back. I've changed it back multiple times by going into my profile on all three devices now.

Rogue

Okay so I just switched devices. It's now on the last one I changed it to besides rainbow ns.

AmberStarfire

I know a number of people (a half dozen?) have mentioned this same problem. I know for me that switching to Elliquiy 2 solved the problem, though I also did what I'll suggest next.

If you bookmark the Elliquiy page when you have the rainbow theme in use and load the page from the bookmark, it may help the theme stick. I've had different themes on different devices for quite a while but I noticed when I switched to spring on here, it switched over my phone to spring as well. Then again, that may be because I'm using a different phone to the one I was before and it might not have been caching the same way.

Loading it under Elliquiy 2 should be all you need to do, but sometimes it doesn't seem to be enough.

As for why it's not working I have a suspicion it might be connected with this:
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/Themes/elliquiy2/css/index.css?r=1" />
   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/Themes/elliquiy2/css/elliquiy_springtime.css?r=b" />

the ?r=1 and ?r=b at the end of the stylesheet links. With some CMSes like Drupal you have a javascript script that will add those on and it rotates the letters, so the browser will reload a fresh version of the CSS theme in case there have been changes. I'm not sure if this forum software is the same but it may be. I wonder if changes in these letters means it isn't loading from the existing copy for some people, but it shouldn't stop them being able to load a fresh copy of the CSS files.

Rogue

I haven't clarified this because I'm a ditz and took more note of it when i was troubles hooting last night. When I go into the layout to get the rainbow_ns theme is won't change it to that theme. It will change to any other theme. But when I go back in to change it to my preferred theme it has it selected and is not changing when I hit "use this theme".

I've had it on Elliquiy 2 for as long as themes have been a thing and my bookmark has been set to Rainbow theme prior to me mucking with things, but it still doesn't stay fixed across devices (all of which use the exact same bookmark pull via chrome.

I do not have the script change thing installed yet on any of these devices. All are using Chrome.

AmberStarfire

I just tried changing from Springtime to Rainbow_NS in Firefox and it didn't work. Then I tried changing from Springtime to Rainbow (without the NS) and it changed over. Then I changed from Rainbow to Rainbow_NS and it's still working. I disabled the shoutbox in between and I think that's the only difference between Rainbow and Rainbow_NS.

Do you want to try that approach?

Rogue

I'll try that one again when I get back from my appointment. :) I think I did that but the NS bit didn't stick.

AmberStarfire

Sure. I haven't made any change to the theme so I really don't know.

Rogue

I may take screenshots.... but I tried as suggested Amber and it didn't fix it. Thank you for trying though.

Okay, so a breakdown of steps I have tried to fix this issue:

I have cleared my cookies.

I have tried different themes (which stick fine) then tried to go back to the rainbow NS theme that I want. Other NS themes are functional as is the other Rainbow theme. However, when I go back to change the theme again (from October for example), it is still reading that I'm on the Rainbow_NS theme. I try to just click the use this theme button and that wasn't working.

..... And I went to double check that I had done something I had thought I'd done and it had fixed it. (This is why I do things 5 times before asking for help damn it.  :-[ )

What fixed it: Basically it was thinking that the theme I was using was name "amberrainbow_ns" even if it was "rouoctober_NS" Or just "amberrainbow". So I fixed it by making it recognize another theme (opening the dropbox and clicking on a different theme) then without clicking use this theme, switched back to "amberrainbow_ns". It then recognized that I actually wanted that theme rather than whatever theme it thought had that name. Odd but that fixed it.

AmberStarfire

I'm glad you got it working. It sounds to me like something is amiss with it.

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Vekseid

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 11, 2015, 01:19:12 PM
I'm glad you got it working. It sounds to me like something is amiss with it.

It is sickeningly buggy.

I should probably write up a manual reset script for people : /