News:

Main Menu

Insomnia

Started by Suiko, October 17, 2010, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

I have a roommate who is on many pain meds, and still gets insomnia, so I've been keeping track of various remedies that won't interfere or react badly with those.  It's amazing how much simply being comfortable will help with falling and staying asleep.

Quote from: Gensokian on October 17, 2010, 07:19:36 PM
....Why do you have to sound so much smarter than me~? =w=

I am the Store House Of Useless Trivia. :D 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Suiko

Genso, I won't comment...

And I see, well thanks very much Oniya! :-) Clearly your knowledge isn't useless since you just helped me.

You're the Store House Of Sometimes-Useful Trivia!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Slow, motivation is tough. See my AAs -

Gensokian

Quote from: Oniya on October 17, 2010, 07:22:24 PM
I am the Store House Of Useless Trivia. :D

........................................Ha, that's your title~! *took waaaaay too long to realise that* =w=

Quote from: Angel Eros on October 17, 2010, 07:24:05 PM
Genso, I won't comment...

..........Meanie. =w=

Serephino

You can also try synthetic melatonin.  Melatonin is the hormone your body makes to tell it to go to sleep, and you can get it in pill form.  It should be safe to take since it's just more of what your body already produces.  Also, don't have any bright lights on before you go to bed.  Like when it wakes you up in the middle of the night, it can also trick your body into not making enough melatonin.

Something else that's been suggested to me is marjoram essential oil on your pillow.  I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be another one of those scents that relaxes you.

I don't know what kind of anxiety medication you're taking, but it might be worth your while to talk to your doctor about benzodiazipenes (sp?).  They're a kind of sedative, and I take one.  Some people only take them as needed, others every day long term.  Supposedly they aren't meant for long term, but if you have trouble every day and it helps....  The only issue is that they're addictive.  I've been taking one for three years and haven't had an issue with needing to up the dose or abusing it.  Others do, so it's up to you and your doctor.  I started taking them after having really bad anxiety and insomnia for 3 days.  Worked like a charm.  It sounds like what you're taking isn't working that well anyway.   

If you'd like to get into a more detailed discussion add me on yim or pm me.     

Suiko

Quote from: Serephino on October 17, 2010, 09:34:17 PM
You can also try synthetic melatonin.  Melatonin is the hormone your body makes to tell it to go to sleep, and you can get it in pill form.  It should be safe to take since it's just more of what your body already produces.  Also, don't have any bright lights on before you go to bed.  Like when it wakes you up in the middle of the night, it can also trick your body into not making enough melatonin. 

Ah, that sounds like a great idea... Do you have to go to your doctors to get a hold of it? i assume so, but I have little to no idea in this area...
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Serephino

No, that's an over the counter thing.  I got some at Wal Mart. 

Oniya

*nods*  We were able to pick up melatonin at a dollar-store type thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Gensokian

Hmm...would that stuff make me fall asleep, as well? I have always wondered what a dream is like...

Suiko

Ahh, I see... I just hope I can get it in Britain.

*Crosses his fingers*

I'll certainly look and see tomorrow!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Serephino

Quote from: Gensokian on October 17, 2010, 09:52:13 PM
Hmm...would that stuff make me fall asleep, as well? I have always wondered what a dream is like...

It might, depending on why you're not sleeping.  It doesn't do anything for me when having a massive panic attack, but other than that I usually pass out about 15 minutes after taking it.  You also have to figure out what the right dose for you is.  I take a single 3mg tablet, but I'm really sensitive to stuff.     

Gensokian

Well, I'm a chronic insomniac; I haven't slept in many a year now. I don't even remember the last time I slept. That's why I'm on a caffeine regimin; my body seems unable to sleep, yet I still get tired. I haven't really tried a sleep-aid, as I actually like the time I have over those who do sleep, but it would be nice to have at least one dream...