News:

Main Menu

Book Recommendations!

Started by MagicalPen, August 26, 2010, 01:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

Halp! I need a good book to read and my plane takes off 24 hours from now.

No twilight, no vampires, no werewolves please.

Fantasy Fiction is preferred, and it needs to be a good book that is entertaining and not geared towards young adults.

As the SB has found, I've read most of their suggestions (thus my dilemma).

So, anyone with any good suggestions?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Ryven

Arkaniel

Books By Karen Miller. not my personal favorites, but both her series are readable and not too magic heavy.

HairyHeretic

I would say the Dresden Files, but they do have vampires and werewolves (depending on which book you read).

Game of Thrones? It's pretty dark for fantasy.

Anything by David Eddings .. popcorn reading, not much brain required :) so could be good for a flight.

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

Oath of Swords by David Weber (can be downloadedly freely off the Baen Free Library in electronic formats)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

MagicalPen

Apart from Ryvens recommendation, I've read all the other ones so far suggested. ^-^ Apart from the Dresden ones.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Arkaniel

I love Dresden Files and Game of Thrones! Wheel of time till halfway through. The first book of Laws of Magic by Terry Goodkind is very, very good, too.

Wolfy

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. First one is "The Gunslinger"..and after you read that, you'll want to read them all. o3o...Book 2 is a little slow, and book 5 or 6 is mostly just a whole backstory of Roland which drags on like Tree sap in winter, but the rest...best Series ever. o3o

/topic. :P

HairyHeretic

How about the Discworld books? Highly entertaining.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lilias

I like China Mieville's Bas-Lag series, especially the first, Perdido Street Station. Lots of outlandish stuff, but it's styled more like science than magic.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Dunnuck

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. An epic, violent fantasy tale geared toward adults. It is truly a life changer for me. Inspired me in many ways. I highly suggest it. It has an original, detailed world as well

MagicalPen

Read the Sword of Truth too :) Same with all the Goodkind books. Not too keen on Dresden Files having seen TV show. Not sure I am familiar with Discworld series. I'll google it and then check it out at bookstore in the morning.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Serephino

The one I'm on right now is by James Clemmens?    I know the first one is called Wit'ch Fire.  I'm on the 4th, and while I don't like all the jumping around, the story is good. 

There is also the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.  Hell, anything by Terry Brooks.   

Arkaniel

Discworld and the Color of Magic is by Terry Pratchett, I believe. While famous, I am not a fan... :)

MagicalPen

I ended up getting two books by a guy named Birmingham. They deal with Alternate History - modern technology traveling back in time to WW2, and the other book is SM. Sterling like with a big 'flash' that changes the world.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

HairyHeretic

The Dresden Files tv show was ok, but the books are far, far better. :)  Give the first one a try sometime, you might just like it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Eeyore on August 27, 2010, 09:55:56 AM
I ended up getting two books by a guy named Birmingham. They deal with Alternate History - modern technology traveling back in time to WW2, and the other book is SM. Sterling like with a big 'flash' that changes the world.

The alternate history ones (Carrier Group from the mid 21st gets dropped into the middle of the Midway battlegroup) are really good.. the 'What if America was destroyed' one wasn't so good.

Arkaniel

I've got two books of two world war 2 vessels, an Anerican and Japanese one, ending up in a 17th century-like fantasy world, on opposing sides. Haven't read them yet, but they are ready for on my plane trip to Greece. Can't remember the name, though.

MagicalPen

Read the first book that I picked up - pretty entertaining. An 'event' occurs that kills every living creature in a certain area (most of the USA, Eastern Canada, and Mexico, and parts of Cuba) on the eve of the Iraq War. Deals with what happens when a country like the USA just ceases to exist (apart from most of its military which is deployed overseas) and how the world goes to hell. Entertaining, with more character deaths then I expected!

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

seeker619

There is an excellent fantasy series by Terry Goodkind.  He is a great writer although the series is 12 books long and each book is about 800 pages.  But it goes real fast.  I can't put it down.  The first is called "The wizards first rule."  Would be worth a try.  Good luck

seeker619

Someone mentioned the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King.  I would also second that.  Just get passed the first book which really isn't the greatest but the rest are incredible.  I'm going to read it again.  Luckily the first book is short too so it won't be too painful.

Craz

I would recommend the Codex Alera. It is the best book series to have ever been spawned by a playful bet. The premise of the series is about an alternate Rome where humans have the ability to command the elements, in the form of spirits called Furies. The series varies between political intrigue and awesome action.

elliedark

I highly recommend the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. They were some of the best books I've read in long time. If I wasn't on my phone, I would give you a link, but it's about a world with believable and likable characters with a very unique form of "magic" that uses various metals.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Xanatos

Sarah Douglass and her Wayfarer Redemption series, best books I've read; very intense, gritty (not intensely so but just enough), and just very well written. War of the Spider Queen (for D&D Drow lovers). Noble Dead saga by Barb and J.C. Hendee.

badbabysitter

Quote from: Wolfy on August 26, 2010, 02:36:50 PM
The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King. First one is "The Gunslinger"..and after you read that, you'll want to read them all. o3o...Book 2 is a little slow, and book 5 or 6 is mostly just a whole backstory of Roland which drags on like Tree sap in winter, but the rest...best Series ever. o3o

/topic. :P

I wholeheartedly agree, have read the entire series 3 times now

spoilers... I still cry when Eddie dies

MrDiamondBackJack

It is an oldie, but a goodie.  I would recommend The Deed of Pakenarion.  It is a trade paperback with three books in a series.  It is about a female paladin.  The author is Elizabeth Moon.  It was and is the best fantasy series that I have ever experienced.

"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer.  That was retorical."- Glinda (Wicked)

Arkaniel

I am thinking of checking out the books by David Gemell. They seem very interesting.

hgb

I know it's kind of late, but:

Earthsea series by Ursula K. Leguin (For the love of god, not the sci-fi mini series that was awful.)

If you read science fiction as well I could suggest more, but I believe everyone mentioned all my favorite fantasy settings with the exception of the above already.

Bubbles

I gladly recommend Paper Butterfly: Diane wei Liang,series mystery for Mei Wang.
it's a very good book,I really enjoyed it reading it,the mysteries,the case..hot it is written and the end.Marvelous !~ :D

You should try it !
A/AO/O's
No more RP's.I am swamped for now.

MrDiamondBackJack

I recommend the greatest piece of classic childrens' literature ever written, and you can even read it online!

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rgs/anne-table.html

"It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to answer.  That was retorical."- Glinda (Wicked)

MagicalPen

Thanks for all the recommendations. Going to close this thread since its a little redundant  now that vacation is over etc.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry