Science-Fantasy McGuffin Hunt - Actively recruiting

Started by Chrystal, July 29, 2016, 10:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrystal

The Stones Of Pollux

Wondering if this might be the sort of idea that would attract people:

A Science Fantasy McGuffin Hunt, a small group of travellers on a quest to save Planet Earth from destruction...!

First of all, let me explain what I mean by Science Fantasy, just because it is a fairly loose term. Science Fiction is basically fiction usually set in the future. The term derives from the fact that the science in the story is fictional, for example the Warp Drive in Star Trek, laser guns, self aware computers, microchips in the head, etc... Fantasy, on the other hand, is most commonly set in the past (although it need not be) and usually involves mythical creatures, magic, etc... Classic examples are The Lord Of The Rings, The Golden Compass, and Harry Potter - an example of present day fantasy.

Science Fantasy blends the two. In stead of the science being fictional, it is fantastic (in the literal meaning of the word). So for example, you might have stone artefacts that, because they are engraved with certain symbols, function as communication devices. The usual Science Fantasy route is to have ancient alien civilisations leaving stuff lying around (careless of them) which looks incredibly primitive, but in fact is far more advanced technologically than the humans who come along and pick it up... Probably the best example of this I have ever seen is the movie Star Gate, and the Star Gate SG1 series.

In case anyone doesn't know, a "McGuffin Hunt" is a term used in roleplaying to describe a certain type of story where a group of adventurers go off in search of an artefact, usually referred to as "the McGuffin", usually with the intention of bringing it back in order to save the day, and thus receive massive rewards, half the princess on a silver platter and the dragon's hand in marriage or some such.

So, here's the plot:

It is the year 2075. A manned probe from earth has just completed a ten year journey to the Alpha Centauri system. When they arrive the crew find a single planet, devoid of all life, orbiting Proxima Centauri. But they are astonished to discover that the world clearly was not always in this barren state. There are several cities, mostly ruins, there are fossils, mostly of plants, and there is technology!

The technology resembles the sort of thing generally found in Aztec, Mayan and and Babylonian temples. It looks like it is made of solid stone, but there is a power source in most of the objects the explorers find, that still works after all these millenia....

Obviously this is the greatest find in all history. Undeniable proof of the existence of aliens with a technology so far in advance of our own that, to paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke, it appears almost magical. A second expedition is hurredly organised and sent out from Earth, while the original team grab whatever they can carry and bring it back...

By reverse-engineering some of the simpler artefacts, Human scientists have been able to isolate the power source and solve Earth's energy crisis for good. Now with an unlimited source of safe and seemingly inexhaustible power, humanity has once again set their collective sights on the stars. The slower-than-light expeditions to nearer stars have been called off, and instead, Earth's top scientists from around the globe have collaborated in creating something that they knew must be possible, from the simple fact that it was obviously used by the Centaurii, the ancient people who had built in, lived in and then abandoned the city on Proxima Centauri I. A faster-than-light drive.

And they have succeeded. Now human probes head out from Earth to explore the nearer stars...

And one of them disturbs something. An ancient menace that had been dormant so long it had forgotten it's own existence. For the city on Proxima Centauri was not abandoned without cause, it was abandoned because it was indefensible as a military outpost. The Centaurii (for want of a better name) had come to the AC system and settle there, and had explored the next nearest system, finding the beginnings of intelligent life beginning to evolve. But then had come their enemy, as yet unnamed. The Centarii had been driven away from this part of the Galaxy, possibly even wiped out. Humanity has no way of knowing.

What they do know is that the enemy was some-how contained, kept from finding Planet Earth, and were directed elsewhere. Earth was left in (relative) peace, not counting the destruction wreaked out by it's own dominant species, for thousands of years. Until now...

Somebody tripped something, activated something, turned something off, sent an accidental signal...

And the enemy has just arrived out of Hyperspace...

The destruction of several of Earth's outposts in nearby star systems was the first and only warning humanity got. It took the enemy a bare few days to determine where these new space-faring creatures had come from. And even less time to realise that their ancestors had been tricked. The full might of the Enemy's ships turned towards Earth. Humanity had very little warning of the assault and millions died. But human beings are a tough species and fought back. Our technology was cruder, but our weapons were just as deadly, and soon a stand-off developed. The Enemy were intent upon the destruction of Humanity, but seemed to want to take the world for themselves where we were determined to fight to the last and take the planet with us if that's what it took...

But now, word has filtered down of a new enemy fleet beginning to arrive. We still have spies hidden in some nearby systems and reports have been sent of enemy scout ships coming in from the direction of the original enemy fleet. At the same time word has come from the other direction that the Centaurii may still be around somewhere in the galaxy, and that they may be able to help. An inscription on another abandonned centauri world seems to read "When The Enemy Comes, Seek The Stones Of Pollux" The last word was placed into the translation because it seemed to fit, as the glyph apparently indicated a star in the position of Beta Geminorum in the local night sky.

Having nothing to loose, a small expedition (all that can be spared) is despatched from beleaguered Earth to the star in question...

Get the picture?

So the characters will all be members of the expedition.

What I'm looking for:

• Expedition Leader - I might take this role myself, or I might not. Depends. This character will be a military person with orders to succeed or not bother coming back! Taken by Chrystal - GM's character
  • Alien Linguist - Scientist character who has enough guts to speak his/her mind and overrule the military when necessary. This character is an expert on the "Centaurii", loathes that name for them, because they clearly originated elsewhere. Taken by BeckyAnnn, character approved
  • Alien Technologist - A more geeky scientist character, this is the guy or gal who is there to determine if anything they find might be useful, if it is dangerous, and, if the latter, can it be made dangerous to the enemy! Taken by Xerial, character approved
  • Medic - Fairly obviously, this character will be looking after the health of the others. Could be military or civilian. Taken by jeflint, character approved
  • Ship's Pilot - Yeah, fairly obvious, someone who can fly the scout ship they are on. Military. This role is kind-of vital...! Taken by eiselmann, character approved
  • Ship's Engineer - Military, the one who keeps the thing flying, repairs it when it's damaged, bitches at the pilot for rough landings and take-offs etc. Taken by Dashenka, character approved
  • Ships Gunner - Military, the lowest ranking member of the bridge crew, but can still be an officer, this person is responsible for targetting the ship's weapons and firing them when ordered.
  • Guard Sergeant - Obviously military, this is the person in charge of making sure the others (listed above) stay safe and make it home alive. Taken by Kythia, character approved
  • Guard Scout/Sniper - Military, rank of corporal, 2IC of the marine squad, this character is the one who goes in first, checks for traps, provides overwatch to the team, and covers the withdrawal. Taken by Skre, character approved
  • Guards. To use a popular euphemism from Star Trek, these are the "Red Shirts". They will be playable characters, and if played, will not be killed off unless the player has a fetish for being killed. There will be a number of NPC guards who may well die horribly!
If anyone can think of any other roles - I'm assuming there will be someone who can cook... then please suggest them.

The role of pilot.

This is such a vital role for the game, that I am actually going to say that as many players as want can have a secondary skill of "Scout Ship Pilot". That way if the player playing the pilot drops out, we still have someone (hopefully) who can get us off the rock we are on... Alternatively, I might play the role myself, or restrict it to being a non-player character.

Adding New Players.

If the expedition is on the way already, we can always add new players who simply "Haven't been noticed yet", but a more amusing way would be to have the team encounter the occasional friendly alien...

Will the game end once the team reach Pollux?

*whistles Innocently...* Really rather depends on the players. If people want to keep going, I can keep them going. If everyone drops out during the first month of play, we aren't even going to get that far!

Smut?

Sure... Just try not to make it the be-all-and-end-all of the story. Remember there IS a plot!

Alien Smut?

Sure... If you want, and you can find a willing alien...!

Violence?

Oh yes! Especially if players drop out!

PvP?

No. We're supposed to be all on the same side!

The game will be Freeform.

I don't do system games, they are too complicated, and I don't like having my actions determined by the roll of a dice. So the game will be freeform and will go in Non-Con Exotic.

Post here if interested. I will do more work on this if I get people...

More detailed time-line

August 2065: Cheiron, the first manned expedition to the stars boosts out of the solar system heading for the Alpha Centauri system, four light years away. The journey will take ten years real time to complete.

June 2068 - February 2069: The Third Oil War. Saudi Arabia refuses to continue supplying crude oil to non-Muslim nations, claiming that dwindling supplies need to be conserved and that the Infidel Western Nations are oil-guzzlers. The USA responds with sanctions and a blockade against Saudi Arabia, which is largely ineffective due to the country's land borders with Iraq and Jordan. Saudi surface-to-air missiles shoot down an Israeli military aircraft that they claim is inside Saudi Airspace. Israel retaliated with airstrikes on Saudi military installations along the border. Russian troops brought in as peackeepers are attacked by Saudi militants. Russia sends more troops with orders to defend themselves if attacked. The US seizes ports along the Saudi coast, and key oilfields inland, to ensure a continuing supply.

March 2071: The European Union votes in favour, by approximately 1.5%, to become the United Federation Of European States. England/Wales, Norway, Switzerland, remain independent. Scotland and United Ireland become part of the European super-state.

December 2075: The Cheiron expedition arrives at Proxima Centauri. The discovery of Extra-terestrial artifacts.

June 2076: Cheiron departs Proxima Centauri to return to Earth.

August 2079: The first radio signals from Proxima arrive back at Earth. They have been transmitted on a broad band and are picked up by enthusiasts all over the globe. The news that Mankind is not alone in the universe shakes the world. The Pope commits suicide. There are mass riots and religious uprisings.

January 2080: A second expedition, using a great deal of energy, departs Earth. This time the journey will take only six years.

March 2086: Cheiron II arrives at Proxima and begins gathering abandoned alien technology

October 2086: Cheiron I arrives back at Earth. Scientists beging analysing the technology.

January 2088: Scientists on Earth discover the power source that has kept the alien artefacts powered for millennia. Reverse-engineering it gives the USA and her allies an inexhaustible supply of clean energy.

March 2088: Cheiron II, much upgraded by the scientists and technologists who were on the expedition, departs Proxima.

March 2088 - April 2088: The Forth (Last) oil war. US troops withdraw from Saudi Arabia. The Arab oil states, realising that their stranglehold on the world has just been broken, launch a desperate jihad against the west. The western powers, however, have a whole range of new and powerful weapons and the Jihad is defeated. The West offers to share the new technology with the Arab states on condition that they allow religious freedoms, civil rights, etc. Only a few Arab states refuse. These remain isolated and very soon crumble into civil war. The new, more progressive regimes accept the UN's conditions for re-admittance.

August 2089: The first Hyper-light probe arrives at Barnard's Star, less than two weeks after leaving earth. It returns to Earth two weeks later.

June 2090 - May 2095: Expeditions are sent to twenty five different star systems in the local area of the Galaxy. Several are discovered to have planets, and although none have life, two are capable of supporting human colonies and many show signs of having been visited in the past. Signs of warfare are noted. Along with artefacts belonging to the race dubbed "The Centaurii" are other artefacts that clearly belonged to the race commonly known as "The Enemy".

September 2091: A group of volunteers establish the first self-sustaining extra-solar colony on Tau-Ceti II.

May 2092: The Cheiron II expedition arrives triumphant back at Earth, to find that their work has been totally superseded. The scientists are sent out again on various other missions

March 2093: A scientist working on a device identified as part of a destroyed "Enemy" ship on Epsilon Indi A I, accidentally triggers something in the device. It explodes, killing everyone at the site, and a signal is detected by hyperlight communications arrays, broadcast from the location, for a split second. Although the signal is captured and recorded, it appears to be in code and no-one is able to decrypt it.

16th January 2095: Enemy vessels attack and destroy human bases in the Epsilon Indi and Ross 248 systems, with virtually no warning. One Human vessel escapes from Ross 248.

9th February 2095: (Times are approximate) 03:00 Zulu - Enemy scout ships arrive in the solar system. Earth is fore-warned and has managed to scrape together a "reception committee". Attempts at communication, however, are ignored. The few armed spacecraft defending Earth are attacked. The enemy scouts are all destroyed, but not without loss to the defenders.

10:00 Zulu - The main wave of enemy vessels arrives in the solar system. They easily defeat the few remaining defending space craft and launch bombing raids on cities and anything that looks to be a form of military instillation - Notably, the aliens attack many civilian airports, but leave naval bases untouched.

Aerial battles are fought in the skies over many parts of the world. Where the aliens are able to gain local air superiority - mostly in Africa, South America and parts of Asia, they send down landing craft.

20th February 2095 UN General Secretary Janiga Columbe calls for the world to unite under the leadership of the United Nations, and appoints US President Rafe Conner as Commander In Chief of All Earth Forces. The newly united military is renamed "EarthForce". To simplify the rank structure and chain of command across the united EarthForce, Connor assigns a member of his staff to create a unified structure similar to that used by NATO countries

5th March 2095: EarthForce  launches concerted attacks from land, sea and air on the Alien held areas of Argentina and Brasil. The attack is only partially successful. The aliens are driven from the planet, but not wiped out. EarthForce suffers severe losses.

20th April 2095: President Conner authorises the use of nuclear weapons against alien held targets in Northern Africa, where the aliens are threatening incursions into Southern Europe. The alien strongholds are destroyed. Alien forces elsewhere on the planet's surface withdraw into space, realising that if the humans are willing to use nuclear weapons to stop them they need greater numbers.

30th April 2095 - 6th June 2097: The War For Survival. The aliens control the solar system, and make frequent raids on Earth's surface, but no further concerted landings. EarthForce in turn make frequent forays into space, raiding the alien ships. Blockade runners make frequent if dangerous trips to the surviving extra-solar bases. Tau Ceti is kept as a major secret, the planet is teraformed and populated with fertile clones of almost every earth species (except a few of the nastier ones like mosquitos), in the hope that if Earth falls, the human race will continue and be able to win the planet back some day.

17th June 2095: The former USAF (now EarthForce Aerial Defence, North America) reveal the new prototype space craft they have been working on in secret. These are quickly put into mass production.

25th May 2097: A teamof Xenoarchaeologists working on a ruined "Centaurii" instalation on a planet in the Epsilon Eridani system discover an inscription that, when translated, seems to read "When The Enemy Comes, Seek The Stones Of Pollux".

6th June 2097: A starwatch volunteer left behind on a small moon in the Epsilon Indi system sends a message that more Enemy scout ships have arrived in system.

18th June 2097:An EarthForce Scout ship conducts a daring rescue mission of the Starwatcher, escaping into Hyperspace just before the main enemy fleet begin to arrive in the system.

4th July 2097: The Pollux Mission is launched.

If you wish to know more about the technology level, Click this link!

THREADS

Approved Characters - This is where I will post all the character sheets to keep them all together in one place, with a nice little index at the top. NPC characters will also find their way in here somehow...

OOC Thread - This will be the place to chat, to post stuff that is possibly irrelevant, but also, to discuss what is going on in the game, to ask the GM specific questions, to negotiate relationships between characters, etc... Note that I actively discourage "permanent pairing up" in my group games.

Technology Thread - This is going to be a special thread for recording the future-tech stuff that we invent to make the game work. Most of it I will do, but other players are welcome to offer suggestions for devices as well. There will be a "Device Sheet", similar to a character sheet, to fill in and submit to me for approval.  Note that I am not going to approve teleportation devices, mind control devices or ridiculous devices!

IC thread - This is where the game will play out. The game will start with everyone aboard the ship, which is in Low Earth Orbit, within the Planetary Shields (Something of a recent  development) awaiting clearance to depart. My opening post will have us begin to run the blockade.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Chrystal

Rules Of Play

These are my standard OOC rules of play for group games. I put them in every group game I run, usually with minor variations to suit the specific setting. I like to think there is nothing draconian or unacceptable here, and I ask all players to read them. Submitting a character sheet to me implies that you have read and are in agreement with these rules, and the rules for character creation.

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH SOMETHING HERE, PLEASE TELL ME!

All rules except two are negotiable!

Lodestone Guidance?

This is a GM-directed "McGuffin Hunt" game. What that means is that I as GM provide you the players with a setting and a scenario, and it's up to you to deal with it how you wish. I will be guiding the story as the group journey through space from world to world in search of "The Stones Of Pollux". There will be fights to be won, mysteries to be solved, infinitives to [boldly] be split and of course beautiful alien monsters to be ravished by... If you feel this is your sort of game, welcome in. If not, then fair enough.

RULES:

• The GM's word is law. This does not mean I'm not open to discussion, but if it comes to an impasse, if a decision needs to be made, or a discussion is getting out of bounds, I will render a decision that I expect to be abided by. I will do this based upon context.
  • Respect other players ons and more importantly, their offs! This is NOT negotiable. Ons and offs are there for a reason. If you feel someone has broken this rule, please PM them first to talk about it. If they will not change their post, then contact me via PM and I will deal with it. Please note that persistently ignoring another players O/Os is grounds for reporting to staff!
  • Try to post at least once a week. If you know you will be unable to post for a while please let us know in advance in the OOC. it is a good idea to create an Apologies/Absences (A/A) thread so everyone you are RPing with knows where you've gone. Players who fail to post for a considerable length of time will have their characters taken over by the GM and removed from play
  • If you know you are going to be away for a considerable time (more than a week) please bring any story-arcs you are involved in to a conclusion, or extract your character from them. If you inform me you will be away, I will not kill off your character!
  • If you find your character is sitting around doing nothing, post something to the OOC, or PM me. If you wait for someone to interact with you, you will wait a long time. Let me know and I will create an event for you.
  • If you have any questions about anything in the game, ASK! The only stupid questions are "how many beans make five" and ones that aren't asked!
  • The OOC-Chat thread will be for people to chat. I have no problems with you guys discussing the latest football results if you wish, (although I'd rather you didn't as I don't like football), because it means you are getting on as a group. Use that thread as you see fit, but please give priority to game related discussion.
  • Please tag all IC posts using the code that will be supplied, editing the details as appropriate. This will enable other players and myself to track where everyone is.
  • There is no rule 9.
  • Players who drop out of the game will have their character taken over by the GM and disposed of as I see fit. If this is unacceptable to you, don't drop out of the game.
  • Please try to post a minimum of 300 words per post. If you post short once in a while, that isn't going to be a problem, but doing so consistently will draw my attention and I will ask you to expand your posts. If the player you are responding to has not given you enough material to write a decent length post from, PM them and ask them to expand their post.
  • God-Moding is a big no-no, but a certain amount of "moving the story on" needs to be expected. If you feel you have been god-moded, talk it over by PM, and if you cannot reach a satisfactory solution, bring it to me.
  • Actions have consequences! If your post has been replied to, it has become canon. Please do not edit it without permission.
  • HAVE FUN! This too is non-negotiable. If you aren't having fun, I would like to know why, so I can change whatever it is that is stopping you having fun!

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Chrystal

Character Creation

Please Note: All character sheets are to be PMed to me (Chrystal) for approval BEFORE being posted here.

Submitting a character sheet to me implies that you have read and are in agreement with the rules of play above and the rules for character creation below.

All characters must be submitted on the character sheet supplied below. Please fill the sheet in "as is", and do not alter the formatting. If you have any difficulty with this, please ask.

All characters must be appropriate to the game, story and setting.

No over-powered characters, invulnerable characters, "Mary-Sue" or "Marty-Stu" characters.

No "mentally unstable" characters. Characters selected for the mission would have been screened to ensure they would not go berserk.

No Stow-aways. This is a military ship in time of war! The penalty for suspected sabotage is summary execution by exposure to hard vacuum, and all unauthorised persons are instantly suspected of being saboteurs.

All characters on the initial crew are to be "Base-line Human". That is, they are to have a minimum of 90% human DNA and no more than 10% cybernetics. If I think that a character crosses this line I will ask for some mods to be removed. Note that the 10% deviation applies to animal DNA and cybernetic implants in total. In other words 5% animal DNA and 5% implants is acceptable, but 6% of both is not! This restriction is imposed by the Mission Parameters in order to not give the wrong impression regarding the Human Race to the "Centauri", should the expedition encounter them.

Character Gender and sexuality is entirely up to the players. I would prefer people to play their own gender but I'm not going to disqualify a character on that basis. However, do be aware that, in my experience, cross-gender play in smaller games tends to reduce the chance of sexual interaction!

Characters submitted for inclusion at various "Recruitment points" in the story should, in fact, be aliens... Alien characters can be any species or "gender" the player's imagination can devise!

Characters submitted to the game become the property of the game. If the player drops out, the character may be disposed of in any manner the GM sees fit, including but not limited to: killing the character; abandoning the character; pretending the character was never there; taking over the character as a NPC; offering the character 'as is' to another player.

I reserve the right, as GM, to reject a character for any reason, or for no reason, however I will usually endeavour to say why I consider the character to be unacceptable and offer ways in which it can be brought in to line with the game parameters.

Characters that are clearly intended to be a disruptive influence may be reported to staff!

The character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=5]Paste image URL here[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b] character name

[b]Player ID:[/b] your Elliquiy login

[b]Position:[/b] their role in the crew
[b]Rank:[/b] if military, or "Civilian"

[b]Height:[/b] in cm (inches x 2.54)
[b]Weight:[/b] in kg (lb / 2.2)
[b]Hair Colour:[/b] if not obvious from pic
[b]Eye Colour:[/b] if not obvious from pic
[b]Build:[/b] if not obvious from pic

[b]Modifications:[/b] genetic and/or cybernetic up to 10% of the body
[b]Distinguishing marks:[/b] Other than mods

[b]Age:[/b] Minimum 18, maximum 45.
[b]Gender:[/b] Please try not to be too inventive!
[b]Sexuality:[/b] likewise...!

[b]Skills:[/b] What makes the character suitable for the role, at least three
[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Please list at least three things they are bad at, or that would make them [i]unsuitable[/i] for a specific role.

[b]Likes:[/b] At least three things they enjoy
[b]Dislikes:[/b] At least three things they do not enjoy

[b]Personality:[/b] What makes them tick, how do they relate to other people.

[b]History:[/b] How did they get where they are today? Why did they volunteer for the mission? Have they seen combat, and where?

[b]Other Info:[/b] Anything you think I've not included

[b]Face Claim:[/b] If known

[url=Paste link here][b]Link to player Ons / Offs page[/b][/url]

NOTES

Images: Character images may be photographs or art work. If you use a photograph, please try and use one that has a neutral back-ground and appropriate clothing. I do not accept separate face and body claim pictures. I do not accept Anime style art-work nor unrealistic art work. There is plenty of really good sci-fi art available without the need to resort to drawings that are absurdly proportioned, cartoon-like or look like they were drawn by a school-child!

Name: I may reject a character if you have used the name before in another game I know about. I like original characters rather than recycled ones, because it shows you have put some thought and effort into the game. Equally, please keep the name different from your login ID.

Player ID: Believe it or not, people have got this one wrong in the past!

Position: Please select from the list above, or suggest a new role that I haven't thought of. Just because someone has expressed an interest in a given role doesn't mean they will get it, by the way. If the character is unsuitable, the role will remain available.

Rank: If the character is a civilian, put Civilian. If they are military, then their military rank. US Navy and USMC ranks will be the standard, although characters may be from any country in the world. It is more-or less assumed that with the attack on Earth by the Enemy, the Earth's various military forces have united under the leadership of the USA. Please try to keep the ranks in line with the role. The expedition's leader will be a Lieutenant Commander. No one should have a higher rank than this.

Height: Be realistic, but allow for possible 10% modification. 183 cm is 6', so someone 201cm tall can have no other modifications!
Weight: Again, be realistic, but allow for extra weight if cybernetics are involved. Equally, some genetic mods might result in lower weight.

Hair Colour: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the image is monochrome or the character is wearing a hat.
Eye Colour: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the eyes are too small to discern the colour, the image is monochrome or the character is wearing glasses.
Build: if not obvious from the picture - i.e. if the image is a portrait rather than a full body picture or the character is wearing loose clothes.

For any of the above three, "As Picture" is an acceptable entry, provided the picture is clear.

Modifications: Characters do not have to have any mods, they can be 100% human. Base-line human is considered to be 90% or more, with non-inheritable genetic mods. These can include such things as feline DNA for improved reaction time or night vision, dolphin DNA for increased lung capacity, crocodile DNA for armoured skin (up to 10% of body surface only and excluding the face), Canine DNA for improved smell. Cybernetic mods can include implants for increased mental abilities, communications, enhanced vision, hearing, partial limb replacements (a leg is about 20%, an arm about 12%), implanted weapon systems.

Distinguishing marks: Scars, birthmarks, tattoos, piercings, anything that is not obvious from the image like a bald head if wearing a hat.

Age: Please try to keep age, rank and appearance consistent. I am no expert and this is science fiction, so there is no reason why a 30 year old can't look 18, or vice verca. Equally there is no reason why a new recruit to EarthForce shouldn't be near the upper age limit (ever read the original Heinlein book "Starship Trooper"? Rico makes sergeant at about the time his dad joins up!) but if you want a higher rank they need to be old enough to have reached that rank.

Gender: I am going to allow people to play whatever gender they like, as I have stated above. This includes transgender characters, because, this being sci-fi, I feel that such will be more common. However, if everyone creates a transgender character I'm likely to loose interest rather quickly. Just saying! I would prefer it if people could play their own gender.

Sexuality: You may play whatever gender and sexuality you feel comfortable with.

Skills: Three skills, or "qualifications", that make your character perfect for this role. So, the engineer might have the ability to read the Centauri language to a certain extent, so that she/he can deal with the alien tech. You may specify more than three skills, and can also add secondary skills.

Weaknesses: A character is defined far more clearly by their weaknesses than by their strengths. Weaknesses can be physical, mental or emotional, and no, you don't need to have one of each, although you can if you wish. The more weaknesses you list, the more likely I am to overlook possible flaws in the character elsewhere.

Likes: If everyone lists chocolate I am going to disallow it!
Dislikes: If anyone says "Brussel Sprouts", I am not accepting the character!

Personality: At least one paragraph about the same length as I have written for "Modifications", above. The more you put, the more likely I am to accept the character.

History: A lot of people have trouble writing the history. I have supplied a basic outline of the last 22 years. If you want some suggestions, please ask me. Note that anyone who was on the original mission to Proxima Centauri will be at least 45 years old (not 50, due to time dilation), possibly older, and thus disqualified from the mission on age grounds. At least two paragraphs of a decent size please. Again, the more you write the more likely I am to accept the character. Please remember to include what your character was doing on 9th February 2095, the day the Enemy attacked Earth, how they survived, and what their reaction was, also what they have been doing sinse and whether they have any experience fighting the aliens.

Other Info: I'm only human, I miss things. If you think I've forgotten anything important, say so here.

Face Claim: If you use a photo of a celebrity, please say who it is. If using art work and it is a known character, again, please say who.

Link to player Ons / Offs page - This is mandatory. I will not be responsible for someone doing something to your character and you saying "I don't like that!" if you don't have an o/o page. Equally I will not accept "I'm up for anything". Everyone has a limit, and if someone reaches yours and you haven't said what it is, then that is your own fault. Please link to either an O/O page or your preferences matrix.

Just as a side note, in case anyone is interested, the inspiration for this game came from sitting in a cubicle in the ladies room at work and staring at the tiled floor... The tiles are a sort of faux granite (hell, they might even be real granite but I doubt it) with a sort-of random pattern in them that looks in places like some sort of alien script that, if only I could stare at it long enough, I could begin to read and it would unlock the secrets of the universe!

And it awoke a desire in me to have a character do just that: read an alien script and unlock some amazing secret...

jeflint

I would certainly be interested in the medic. :)

What sorta "Sci-Fantasy" tech are we talking for humans? Bioware/genetic manipulation stuff yet?

Jan's General Info, The F-List , On’s & Offs, absenteeism & BB Color Codes

noodlebloom

Hazy Sky

Always interested in your games Chrystal if you'll have me. :)
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

eiselmann

Puts hand up ....love your games

Would be up for the role of Pilot
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 01, 2016, 07:23:48 PM
I would certainly be interested in the medic. :)

What sorta "Sci-Fantasy" tech are we talking for humans? Bioware/genetic manipulation stuff yet?

Hi Jeflint.

Uh.... Yes...? LOL.

The sort of thing I'm imagining is based very loosely on the alien technology seen in the TV series "Stargate SG1". So for example, you might have a set of oddly shaped stones, each with an alien glyph carved into the top of them, and if someone has a broken bone you might place two of them on the sight of the fracture, or if there is a burn, you place three of them around it... And provided you use the right stones in the right sequence, the injury heals. It looks like magic, it feels like magic, but we know it is simply a technology that the average human mind can't comprehend. The glyphs themselves channel the energy from the power source that is embedded in the stones, the shape and colour of the stones modify the energy, and the energy is what causes the injury to heal...

Human medicine has advanced too, so we now have advanced biotech and genetic manipulation at the sub-molecular level. Most diseases have been cured, for example and before the enemy attacked food was plentiful.

Dis you have anything specific in mind?

Quote from: noodlebloom on August 02, 2016, 02:42:34 PM
I'm up for playing the ship's engineer!

Cool. You realise that this role requires probably the most imagination? Because you are going to have to come up with all the various technobable related to the gyrazamagogle that spins inside the scrabatroblic disproxic field and creates the psuedentific waves that push the ship through Mu-space.... .... Er..... Or whatever...!

No, but seriously, the tech is the thing... Science-fantasy technology is like a cross between Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings. (Heh, given that the Stargates are rings, that's quite apt!) So, if you think you can handle that I'll be glad to have you aboard.

Quote from: skyre on August 11, 2016, 02:48:49 AM
Always interested in your games Chrystal if you'll have me. :)

Of course I will, my friend.

Quote from: eiselmann on August 11, 2016, 05:28:03 PM
Puts hand up ....love your games

Would be up for the role of Pilot

Cool, glad to have you too, Eise.

Ugh. This means I'm going to have to do a character sheet and rules and stuff....

YAY! I'll work on them over the weekend. Please keep eyes on the "reserved posts", thanks.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2016, 04:20:03 PM
Hi Jeflint.

Uh.... Yes...? LOL.

The sort of thing I'm imagining is based very loosely on the alien technology seen in the TV series "Stargate SG1". So for example, you might have a set of oddly shaped stones, each with an alien glyph carved into the top of them, and if someone has a broken bone you might place two of them on the sight of the fracture, or if there is a burn, you place three of them around it... And provided you use the right stones in the right sequence, the injury heals. It looks like magic, it feels like magic, but we know it is simply a technology that the average human mind can't comprehend. The glyphs themselves channel the energy from the power source that is embedded in the stones, the shape and colour of the stones modify the energy, and the energy is what causes the injury to heal...

Human medicine has advanced too, so we now have advanced biotech and genetic manipulation at the sub-molecular level. Most diseases have been cured, for example and before the enemy attacked food was plentiful.

Dis you have anything specific in mind?

I actually did not watch Stargate series... my television watching is remedial at best. I was just thinking of Cloning technology, like my character had been cloned from another doctor to go on this mission sorta thing. That was all. :)

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 12, 2016, 06:54:28 PM
I actually did not watch Stargate series... my television watching is remedial at best. I was just thinking of Cloning technology, like my character had been cloned from another doctor to go on this mission sorta thing. That was all. :)

Yes, okay! I talked myself into it.... You don't need to see my thought process, just the outcome.

Cloning technology is available and is highly dangerous, because it can go drastically wrong. In fact it is the result of a failed attempt to make a transporter beam (Something which is NOT available). The military use cloning a lot and all the lowest level of "cannon fodder" are clones, because they are easy to replace!

In fact the ship probably has the ability to reproduce a limited number of "red-shirts" from a model held in stasis.

A clone must, within minutes of being created, be imprinted with a soul - a recording on biochip of the brain pattern of the person being cloned. The wrong "soul" will not take and in fact failure to take of the correct "soul" is high. Failure usually results in madness, death or both.

How does that sound?

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2016, 07:26:56 PM
Yes, okay! I talked myself into it.... You don't need to see my thought process, just the outcome.

Cloning technology is available and is highly dangerous, because it can go drastically wrong. In fact it is the result of a failed attempt to make a transporter beam (Something which is NOT available). The military use cloning a lot and all the lowest level of "cannon fodder" are clones, because they are easy to replace!

In fact the ship probably has the ability to reproduce a limited number of "red-shirts" from a model held in stasis.

A clone must, within minutes of being created, be imprinted with a soul - a recording on biochip of the brain pattern of the person being cloned. The wrong "soul" will not take and in fact failure to take of the correct "soul" is high. Failure usually results in madness, death or both.

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. 😊

Would I double as the ships councilor, being a medic and all. 😜

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 12, 2016, 07:47:46 PM
Sounds good to me. 😊

Would I double as the ships councilor, being a medic and all. 😜

Oh GOD no! Not in the ST-NG manner, anyway!

Only in the 1980s could anyone have conceived of the possibility of a military vessel including a psychologist as a bridge officer! On a ship of the size we are talking about, the "councillor" is the Captain! She/He tells the crew what to do and if they aren't happy about it, tough!

Please do remember that we are discussing a military expedition here.

Obviously, the medic is responsible for the mental health of the crew as well as the physical heath, but more in a manner of prescribing sleeping pills or anti-depressants, and making sure the troops are kept sedated until needed, stuff like that.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 03:55:35 AM
Oh GOD no! Not in the ST-NG manner, anyway!

Only in the 1980s could anyone have conceived of the possibility of a military vessel including a psychologist as a bridge officer! On a ship of the size we are talking about, the "councillor" is the Captain! She/He tells the crew what to do and if they aren't happy about it, tough!

Please do remember that we are discussing a military expedition here.

Obviously, the medic is responsible for the mental health of the crew as well as the physical heath, but more in a manner of prescribing sleeping pills or anti-depressants, and making sure the troops are kept sedated until needed, stuff like that.

I didn't mean it in a Diana Troy way. But in real life NASA has attributed that mental health issues would be s serious concern for a trip to Mars or the like. 😊

And let's face it PTSD would be high for our soldiers. No one wants to be a red shirt in Star trek or a yellow shirt in TNG it's a high mortality rate. They all can't be Guy from galaxy quest. 😜

Kythia

I'd quite like Guard Captain, if that's cool.

Also, and this is obviously just a request/talking point, would it be possible to be the model for the red-shirt clones (or some of them at least).  Fluffwise: 1) The military have discovered it is useful to have the original present in the early days of a clones "life" as it aids with the implanting process, providing something of a role model and 2) On a mission like this there's always the chance of computer failure or whatever, having the original on hand means she can be scanned back in should problems emerge.

I just want to have a massive only-me orgy!

jeflint

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 06:53:43 AM

Wouldn't that be the universes biggest masturbation sessions? 😜

Hazy Sky

Then I am in Chrystal. Need an Engineer or a scout/sniper?

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 05:09:14 AM
I didn't mean it in a Diana Troy way. But in real life NASA has attributed that mental health issues would be s serious concern for a trip to Mars or the like. 😊

And let's face it PTSD would be high for our soldiers. No one wants to be a red shirt in Star trek or a yellow shirt in TNG it's a high mortality rate. They all can't be Guy from galaxy quest. 😜

Heh, point taken. And yes, the medic would be responsible for the mental health of the crew... As for the "red-shirts", actually they are "Janga Fetts" - clones, programmed not to have fear, to obey orders without question and sacrifice themselves if needed, and the ship has the ability to create more!

Hah! Galaxy Quest FTW!

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 06:53:43 AM
I'd quite like Guard Captain, if that's cool.

Also, and this is obviously just a request/talking point, would it be possible to be the model for the red-shirt clones (or some of them at least).  Fluffwise: 1) The military have discovered it is useful to have the original present in the early days of a clones "life" as it aids with the implanting process, providing something of a role model and 2) On a mission like this there's always the chance of computer failure or whatever, having the original on hand means she can be scanned back in should problems emerge.

Guard Sergeant....!

I would think that the clones would be reconstructed from much younger people than the sergeant in charge of a squad of marine clones on such a vital mission... However..... I actually like the idea! I think there would be one male model and one female model on the ship, and your character would have donated the DNA back when he/she was a recruit - that being a requirement at the time...

I actually prefer the idea that it is a purely random thing, rather than that there is any logical or medical reason for the choice - the profile of these two clone sets are best suited for the mission, as is the original sergeant.... If you can find a picture of your face claim at a slightly younger age, say late teens or early 20s, I will use that as the image for the clones, which will be NPCs.

Quote from: skyre on August 13, 2016, 08:33:09 AM
Then I am in Chrystal. Need an Engineer or a scout/sniper?

The list of character roles is in the first post.... Engineer has already had interest expressed, but as I said, that doesn't guarantee the role until I have approved a character sheet. Sniper...? Possibly...

Just to say, the rules and character sheet are up.

Also, anyone wishing to play a non-cloned marine may still do so - Corporals or PFCs.

Kythia

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 07:00:48 AM
Wouldn't that be the universes biggest masturbation sessions? 😜

I think we'd have to invent a new word.  This masturbation session would be so large that "masturbation" wouldn't really do it justice.  Uberbation, possibly.  It'll be wanktacular.  An onanism extravaganza.

I have loads more of these, by the way.

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
Guard Sergeant....!

Sure, currently.  But I'm officer material.  My mum says so. 

Quote from: Chrystal on August 13, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
I would think that the clones would be reconstructed from much younger people than the sergeant in charge of a squad of marine clones on such a vital mission... However..... I actually like the idea! I think there would be one male model and one female model on the ship, and your character would have donated the DNA back when he/she was a recruit - that being a requirement at the time...

I actually prefer the idea that it is a purely random thing, rather than that there is any logical or medical reason for the choice - the profile of these two clone sets are best suited for the mission, as is the original sergeant.... If you can find a picture of your face claim at a slightly younger age, say late teens or early 20s, I will use that as the image for the clones, which will be NPCs.

That works for me.  I'm relatively certain I'll be able to.

What's nationality like, btw?  Is this an international, UN-style, operation?  Or a national government?
EDIT: NM, spotted it in your edit.

Kythia

Face claims:

Sgt Rahana Saddiq at her promotion ceremony, full dress uniform:

The genetic basis grown from samples taken when she first enrolled:

Not the same gal, but pretty close I reckon.  Work for you, Chrystal?

Xerial

If you're still looking for a technologist, perhaps one with a bit of a linguistics background, I have a bit of an idea running about in my head. I'm picturing a guy who has a serious case of early-adoption addiction, as in he just has to try something new when it comes up... got an alien slug thing that might be symbiotic? As soon as he runs a thorough analysis he'll be itching to try and shove that thing in his ear. New implants? Why yes please. First to have sex with an alien? Where's the party. That type of guy. Smart, but reckless. Definitely needs to be watched, but can get the job done like no other if someone keeps him on point.

Hazy Sky

Urgh. Sorry Chrystal. I shouldn't half read threads after I've been napping. Scout and marksman still feels like a good role to me though if that's OK please? I'm not sure the others immediately appeal to me, but I can make one of them work if you don't want that kind of a soldier along for the ride. You know me; your game,  your rules. :)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

Chrystal,

If we come up with a "character playlist" can we attach that under a spoiler? it's something I like to do for my characters. :)

Xerial, I can see you and my character are going to be having a lot of conversations about "health and safety" :P

Xerial

I can see my character citing medical studies he only read the synopsis of and calling back to the medical degree he does not actually have (because he "audited enough to get the idea") and then shoving a slug in his ear...  :P

Chrystal

Quote from: Kythia on August 13, 2016, 09:59:10 AM
Face claims:

Sgt Rahana Saddiq at her promotion ceremony, full dress uniform:

The genetic basis grown from samples taken when she first enrolled:

Not the same gal, but pretty close I reckon.  Work for you, Chrystal?

Closer enough. And I like. PM me a char sheet.

Quote from: Xerial on August 13, 2016, 11:19:42 AM
If you're still looking for a technologist, perhaps one with a bit of a linguistics background, I have a bit of an idea running about in my head. I'm picturing a guy who has a serious case of early-adoption addiction, as in he just has to try something new when it comes up... got an alien slug thing that might be symbiotic? As soon as he runs a thorough analysis he'll be itching to try and shove that thing in his ear. New implants? Why yes please. First to have sex with an alien? Where's the party. That type of guy. Smart, but reckless. Definitely needs to be watched, but can get the job done like no other if someone keeps him on point.

Yes, the technologist is still open. So far no alien slugs to shove in his ear, but I LOVE the concept. Send me over a char sheet and I'll give it due consideration!

Quote from: skyre on August 13, 2016, 11:29:07 AM
Urgh. Sorry Chrystal. I shouldn't half read threads after I've been napping. Scout and marksman still feels like a good role to me though if that's OK please? I'm not sure the others immediately appeal to me, but I can make one of them work if you don't want that kind of a soldier along for the ride. You know me; your game,  your rules. :)

Scout and marksman.... Actually this is a role that is necessary, now I come to think. You are the one that goes into the Alien Ruins first to check for boobies er, booby-traps. You are the one who provides overwatch to the rest of the team as they investigate  the ruins.

Please make the character a Corporal. Normally I wouldn't make that request but in this instance I think it is the only rank that works.

Quote from: jeflint on August 13, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Chrystal,

If we come up with a "character playlist" can we attach that under a spoiler? it's something I like to do for my characters. :)

A what? I have no idea what you mean.

Hazy Sky

We are thinking along exactly the same lines here in terms of a role. I will begin refining my initial thoughts into a workable character on the character sheet.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

eiselmann

Name: Dion Mckenzie

Player ID: Eiselmann

Position: Pilot

Height: 184 cm
Weight: 89 kg
Hair Colour: As per Photo
Eye Colour: As per Photo
Build: As per Photo

Modifications: 2 percent feline DNA 3 percent Eagle DNA and 3 percent Cybernetic Modification specifically to help with reaction time
Distinguishing marks: none

Sexuality: Straight

Skills: Extremely quick reactions , even before the enhancements.
Fearless when flying , the more challenging the situation the more he embraces it.
Brilliant Mathematician , likes to challenge himself to plot a better course than the ships navigation system 

Weaknesses: Comes off as having a cavalier attitude : when flying ,that manifests itself in an over-confidence that the vessel he's flying can do what he's about to do to it.

I fly the thing I don't make it work: He's quite capable of rolling up his sleeves and doing repairs when there's no alternative , it just always sounds like a lot of work so he avoids it. This can also manifest itself in an avoidance of many other duties away from his core role. (not to the point of refusing an order, more a case of  not volunteering for extra work)

Difficult to get a proper read on this guy and as such can be quite polarizing. Simply because of his nature he 'nudges' protocols of behavior, not in a subversive way (hes military he understands military discipline and the need to obey orders) , more a tendency to seem to be having fun when everyone else is under stress. Away from the pilot's chair and when off duty he lets the inner kid come out to play, and likes to prank. 

Likes:Football (soccer) and he will insist on calling it football even when others call it soccer .
Women...the more the merrier
Trifle....HMMMM Trifle. Trifle while flying.

Dislikes: People who find him things to do.
Those who take themselves way too serious
Cabbage. He likes to think that he has a great sense of humour but there are limits....and limits thy name is cabbage.

Personality: Infuriating , that's Dion in one word. He would never disobey a direct order but if he disagrees with it that will be clearly shown on his face. The more challenging a situation the more likely he'll make a flippant remark , this can aggravate in cases of life and death situation where he doesn't seem to be taking things seriously.

He can be seen to be arrogant in his self confidence as a pilot , however he can also back that up.

He can work hard but prefers not too.

He'll pull pranks on anyone thou he would never do so if it endangered anyone...its just he gets bored.

Saying that he is fiercely loyal to the people around him and will put himself in danger to save another without hesitation.

History:Dion was born in Auckland New Zealand, to English parents. His father had been a pilot in the RAF and had since left the military and became a civilian pilot for Air New Zealand. Dion had grown up wanting to be just like his father and had grown up spending hundreds of hours on flight simulators. When he was twelve he gained some international attention when he became the Top Ace in the World Championships of MMO games playing  'Air Combat' ,defeating over 15 million other contestants, including some of the top pilots in various Air forces around the world.

From his mother he developed a love of Mathematics and while he was decidedly average on other subjects at school it was Maths were he found himself soon excelling. At 15 he completed his Bachelors degree in Applied Mathematics, at 17 he had his masters degree. All while struggling to understanding why Shakespeare was required reading and not getting why his description of Napoleon Bonaparte as a 'short dead guy'  was not sufficient an answer to 'Who was Napoleon Bonaparte' . He also got his Pilots License at 16. Thou had to repeat the 'Safe Flying' section of the flight training three times.

Still his overall grades where high enough to graduate from High School at the age of 17. His mother hoped he would start a PHD , his father hoped he might become a pilot. Just after his 18th Birthday he went to England and joined the Royal Air Force.

At twenty he agreed to the modifications simply because he'd seen the improvement being modified had in others ,and Dion was driven to be the best. Still in truth it wasn't the easiest decision he ever made and three years later he still sees it as something he had to do rather than something he wanted to do.

When the aliens arrived in '97 , the RAF like all of Earths Various Armed forces were overwhelmed at first, however in the skies over London one battle changed everything for what remained of the Royal Air Force. 22 British Pilots engaged with 42 Alien Craft. Only three loses were suffered while 36 Enemy were downed . Dion who at that point was one of the few 'Aces' around, took out ten of those craft.

At the time 'the Mission' was touted Dion was one of the top Ace's in the World, it was 'suggested ' to him that he volunteer , it didn't take long for Dion to agree.

Other Info:

Face Claim: Nathan Fillion

My O's and O's
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

jeflint

Chrystal,

By Character Playlist I mean a play list that describes the character. A musical score/soundtrack that accompanies them throughout their lives.

Rose Dandy-Ba is my Fennec Fox/Mink Hybrid in the Zootopia game and it's in the spoiler under the "Theme Music". I copied it here incase you didn't want to go to the link. But basically I took all the songs I thought would make sense for that character and threw them into a "track list" like the one you see below. :)

Like I said, it's something I do with all my characters. I respond to music pretty well and use it to get in the mood for a character or to recapture my muse when he's not being responsive. I like to put it up incase other players see it and go "Oh hey, we resonate on this frequency. Groovy." And it's gotta be groovy, cause really... what else would you say? :P

Character RP CD

Track NameArtist/AlbumMeaning
Move Your BodyEiffel 65 - EuropopGet up, get moving!
All Night LongLasgo - 538 DSH 2005-02You caught my eyes
Self ControlInfernal - Clubland Classix 2A night out on the town
Dante's Inferno Harmony Steel - Shadowrun RP ConceptExclusive club
Teach Me How To Rave Ghetto Lee Lewis- OC RemixKicking the party off
See Me, Feel Me Scooter - Who's Got the Last Laugh Now?Give me attention!
Heartbeat / Element of Love Daft Punk - EarthboundCan you match my jam?
I Close My Eyes FFR - OC RemixWe'll take it slow, at first
Pink Elephants on Parade DJ Jack - Remix SpecialDrop the base
House Leaves Neostorm - OC RemixRose spinning the track
Wallflower Divalola - Saints Row The Third K12 FMRose catches others eyes
In My Memory DJ Tiesto - In My Memory CDMLet's just cuddle
Angelfalls(Tortuga) DJ George Acosta - AwakeTrancing to the music
Welcome to the Future DJ George Acosta - AwakeDon't stop now
All about the Bass Meghan Trainor - TitleRose know's she's not tall/thick, don't hate
Castles in the Sky (Clubbing Mix) Ian Van Dahl - Jam.Dance 2005Cocky Fenmink
Partical Beam Unknown - OC RemixFenmink parkouring to freedom
Butterfly Bassnectar feat Mimi Page - Reaching OutFenmink drifting through the air
F' You Singalongmotherf' mix Ottongo - Rave 'Til DawnThey only thing I drop is bass!
Shut up & Dance The Green Man -  Rave 'Til DawnCatch the thief
Blast Power Puppet Jivemaster - OC RemixRose still running
Radiology DJ Pretzel - OC RemixRose wants to go faster!
Skylight Overseer - Blade TrinitySecond Wind
The Game Of Love (E=MC2 Mix) Jenny Rom - The Game of LoveYou thought I was done?
Robo Booty Opiuo - Slurp And GurgleMy hips don't lie...
Encoder Pendulum -ImmersionYou wanna cuddle? Alright.
Aye Aye (Original Mix) Pogo -SoundcloudShhh... I'm getting comfortable
Halcyon On and On Orbital - Live at GlastonburyRose is a sleep...

Chrystal

Sure, if you want to, I'm not going to say no...

Put it in the "other info" part of the character sheet.

However this is NOT something I'm expecting anyone else to do. You can if you want, that's all!

If anyone has any suggestions or requests like that, by all means please make them.

Still waiting to see whether I am going to be playing the commander or the linguist or both. I'd rather not play both because there needs to be some friction between the characters!

jeflint

Name: Amilya Morgan (The Ninth)

Player ID: jeflint

Position: Ship's Doctor/Medic/council

Height: 147.32cm
Weight: 56.7kg
Hair Colour: Blonde
Eye Colour: Blue
Build: Toned, but not athletic

Modifications: Minor Biogenetic enhancements:
1) Nanotech: Inserted to combat Amilya's rare blood disorder, also has minor capabilities of healing others
2) Reptile DNA: Amilya has minor recuperative ability from the reptile DNA spliced into her, it also limits the amount of body hair she generates and makes her skin and blood cold.
3) Memory Enhancement: to help her retain all her medical training
4) Designer Metabolism: to help combat her sweet tooth and emotional eating
5) Pheromone generation: to help comfort the sick and injured
Distinguishing marks:
1) Tattoo on Hip & Thigh
2) QR Code: Back of Neck at the hairline and normally completely covered by Amilya's hair.
QR Code Information
(Amilya Morgan
Blood Type: O Rh D negative blood
Batch: 001
Serial Number: 009
Creation Date: 20950613)

Sexuality: Pansexual

Skills:
1) MD in Physical Fitness
2) MD in Psychology
3) MD in Trauma
4) licensed Emergency Trauma doctor
5) Was the owner/operator of her own general practice in Sydney
6) Multi Linguist, being raised in Norway and Germany Amilya speaks Norwegian, German and English.
Weaknesses:
1) Anxious: Amilya often agonizes over the decisions she makes as the sole doctor of this ship.
2) Work-a-holic: Amilya spends much of her days when not with a patient or patients reviewing her files to make sure she didn't miss a critical piece of history and to learn as much as she can medically
3) Overly Critical: Amilya does not book failure in her clinic and she won't stop until a person's life is saved. Be they a clone or the captain.
4) Short: for someone with genetic enhancements it's often a joke that the good doctor has to stand on a chair to get some of her medical supplies
5) Kind Hearted: Amilya cares about those who come to her for help and she's not the most impartial of judges sometimes. She's always doing what she thinks is best for her patient however.
6) Cold Blooded: Amilya's Reptile DNA that's been spliced into her offers a few unique qualities, one of which is she gets cold and lethargic easily. She's known to be a good cuddler because she loves the warmth of others. Her quarters are humid and hot. The medical bay is as cold as she can make it for medical reasons, but still be awake for. Amilya outside of her quarters dresses in layers.

1) Singing: as a young girl Amilya had hopes of being an opera singer
2) Swimming: Amilya is like a fish and spends all her workout time swimming to keep in shape, or perhaps it's part of her reptilian DNA.
3) Chocolate: Being that her father was from Switzerland he instilled in her a love of gourmet chocolate. Amilya only eats the finest chocolate and is known to have several stashes hidden around the ship, woe be to the person who takes her dark chocolate.
4) Reading: Amilya when she has time is a voracious reader and will devour a book in a few days.
5) Travel: Amilya grew up in Europe and always had excuses to see the countryside and loves to see what's out there.
6) Painting: Amilya has several works in her quarters that she's been working on for years, while she's not the best painter she likes to paint when the mood strikes her.
7) Cuddling: Amilya is a cuddler and won't turn down hugs if she's not working. Partly from the warmth but also because she just likes to snuggle up to someone.
Dislikes:
1) Being teased: Amilya was a short child and spent much of her time studying to avoid being bullied. She hates to be reminded of her short comings
2) Bullies: Amilya does not get along with strong authority figures, they always make her think of bullies and she's likely to clash with them
3) Secrecy: Amilya hates keeping secrets from others. She believes everyone she treats should know the facts so they can make an informed decision.
4) Lying: Amilya hates to lie to others, all the worse because as a doctor she's had to lie to a small child about their chances of recovery all while easing their suffering.
5) Rereading: Because of her enhanced memory Amilya gets bored/tired of reading the same books over and over again.
6) Meat: Amilya for some reason hasn't been able to tolerate the taste of red meat for years, when her Reptilian DNA was changed to a herbivores her dietary tastes changed. She will eat meat as a last ditch effort but she'll eat literally anything else first.

Personality:
Amilya is a kind hearted individual and she genuinely cares for everyone she works with and treats. As a kind hearted doctor it is necessary for her to become clinically cold and detached and when she does that she has to seek solace in food, specifically chocolate, to make her feel better. While she has no love of authority, as a doctor she understands the chain of command and respects firm but polite leaders.

History:
Amilya doesn't normally talk about her childhood, and it's for good reason. While she has many cousins and uncles and aunts she has no siblings, no parents and no grandparents living.

Amilya's mother was a Norwegian woman who worked with the government as an Ambassador to other nations. It was on a particularly sunny day in Berlin when Anette Bolstad met Dietrich Morgan, a successful swiss banker who happened to live in Stuttgart. The two had a whirlwind romance and were soon married. Annette and Dietrich loved each other very much but genetically they weren't compatible to have children. Their first child was still born, a young boy they were going to name Emil. The doctors researched the child who had been still born, a rarity in Germany of 2065. Dietrich and Annette were hopeful that the doctor's could discover what was wrong.

They were contacted by the university that had been researching their case and explained that the parents had rare genetic anomalies that did not mix with each other. The doctor stressed that they should run further tests on the two and see if they could isolate what was interacting with each other in a detrimental manner. They continued to research and thought they had a solution a few years later. In 2068 their second child was born. A sickly boy they joyously named Heinrich. Heinrich however only lived a few months and soon passed away. Distraught Annette withdrew from working with the Norwegian government and visited her family. Her older sister suggested that Annette should try a doctor in Australia who was doing amazing things with genetics and nano-cellular technology. Annette booked a flight and a week later Dietrich joined her. They met the doctor and he explained that the procedure he was working on wasn't tested but if he could take one of egg and one sperm he could introduce into them DNA to help it combat the blood disease the doctor's had discovered from their genes. They both agreed and provided the samples the doctor needed. He implanted the fertilized enhanced egg into Annette. Nine months later Amilya was born in the summer of 2071, sickly and weak, but she was alive. Dr. Nguyen moved into the resident of the Morgan's and became the family doctor.

It was touch and go for the first year but Amilya slowly started to fight the blood disease she'd been born with in thanks to her slightly altered DNA and the heaping dose of nanotech she'd been injected with. The Nanotech specifically worked just like her white blood cells and would fight the rogue cells. Eventually Amilya's body was able to make its own white blood cells and the nanotech simply stayed in her system. By Amilya's fifth year she was just as happy as any normal child. If a little on the petite side.

She was entered into primary school and she was teased constantly for her bookish nature and her short stature. Amilya hated being constantly teased and so she soon learned to hide away in the library or elsewhere. Her general lack of activity led her to put on extra weight. And when she was being teased at school or after school Amilya would turn to sweets to make her feel better. This probably would have continued had Dr. Nguyen not admitted that when he was a young boy he had been born with a hearing problem that made speech difficult for him. He admitted that as a child he had a terrible stutter and his classmates had named him Porky after the looney tunes character. He'd been mad enough that he spent hours practicing singing and speeches, overcoming his stuttering.

Amilya now at the early ages of adolescence was slowly starting to blossom into a cute young girl. With Dr. Nguyen's help, and the advancements in medical advances Amilya's metabolism was sped up, in actuality, Dr. Nguyen adjusted her reptilian DNA to be more like a herbivore's diet and their quicker metabolism over the carnivorous DNA that had been originally used. Something he would not have been able to do in without the advances in the last few years. Amilya also became a local fixture at the local indoor heated pools. For swimming gave her the shape and confidence she wanted.

By the time Amilya was entering her sixteenth year she was happy with herself and her looks. Her parents had been away on a trip and had decided to take an extra day observing an island in the south pacific. Amilya was to join them in a few days when she got out on winter break. In the mean time the volcano on Antipodes Island had a massive eruption which triggered tidal waves to all the surrounding islands. Volcanologist's were expecting an eruption on the uninhabited islands but no one had expected an earthquake to trigger such a massive explosion. The devastation was most extreme within one hundred miles of the island, the supposed safe zone to watch the eruption. Amilya found out about the death of her parents during her biology final.

All the fortunes and business ventures that her parents had been involved in were held in a trust for her and handled by her aunts and uncles to manage until she was of sufficient age. Amilya took the loss of her parents hard but that was to be expected of any young girl. She sank into a depression and finished school, but she returned to the solace of food. Dr. Nguyen helped to guide and council her in her time of grief and at some point he got through to the young teen. With a resolute sniffle she decided to dedicate herself to helping others and making her parent's her motivation for improving other's lives.

Amilya graduated from her school with high marks and was already setting her sights on the most prestigious medical college in the world. Harvard University. With her grades, work ethics and money from her parents Amilya wanted for nothing. To her she didn't care about that. She donated a vast portion of the wealth she'd been given to various medical charities to help others and the rest she applied to her living and school expenses.

It wasn't all studies for the earnest young woman. During a practically wild kegger Amilya woke up with a large and intricate tattoo on her thigh and hip. She blamed her roommate Martha. It wasn't all bad though because of the tattoo she caught the attention of the captain of the Diving team. The two had an off again on again fling throughout Amilya's college days, and even stayed close after he started sleeping with Martha. Amilya found she really couldn't get mad at them because Martha had an ass anyone would go for. Even the normally straight-laced medical student couldn't help but admire the other woman's ass. And she had once drunkenly felt up her roommate on a dare, and because she really wanted to slap that thing and see it jiggle.

While at Harvard Amilya did the unthinkable and worked towards three degrees and she graduated in the summer of 2091 when she was only 20 years old. It was unheard of for a student that young to graduate with high marks in one let alone three degrees. While she didn't earn the highest marks her achievement got her several residencies. She selected one in Sydney Australia because she wanted to continue her swimming and she loved the weather in Australia. Amilya was just settling into her routine of being a doctor when in 2095 things went from good to worse. When Amilya's parent's had passed there was little need for a family doctor who lived on the estate with Amilya, she regretfully dismissed the good doctor and her closest friend when she graduated college. Now denied any additional income for his years of service Dr. Nguyen's sold his research notes on his genetic improvements, citing Amilya as his greatest work, so that others could benefit from his advancements and he could get a lucrative private sector research job.

The resulting in depth investigation that went into Amilya's background ruined the promising doctor. It was revealed that unlike the other students she had a comparative advantage in that she had memory enhancement genetics built into her and her nanotech and reptilian DNA allowed her to not get sick, thereby maximizing her ability to work and get the best results out of her studies. And the little bit about her enhanced pheromones devastated her social life. That was the most devestating to the kind hearted Amilya who had been set to marry a member of the Australian's Sydney Football Club. She'd really loved the dreamy blue eyes and scruffy blondish hair of the striker but the man believed that he'd been lied to and rejected her because of the media attention of the pheromones. As if those could explain all the chances she'd been given.

In the grand sceheme of things it was terrible for the young doctor. Her liscense's were temporarly suspended and she was unable to practice medicine without a pending investigation. Then the Aliens descended on earth, slaughtering and maiming and injuring so many. Amilya was unable to provide medical services, she could provide insight into what she was seeing but the ruling didn't allow her to proceed into the surgery theater to help save lives. Distraught Amilya reached out to all of her medical contacts trying to get her liscense granted in lieu of the emergency. Her plight made it's way to a high ranking doctor in the US government and they  saw no reason not to make use of Amilya's talents. They contacted the good doctor and told her that if she worked for them she'd be given back her liscense to practice medicine. Amilya agreed because without access to her clinic or ability to work in the emergency room she wasn't of assistance to the sick and the injured during the attacks.

She was escorted to Hawaii and instructed to what she was going to be done. At age 24 Amilya was cloned several times. Nine clones were deployed into the field, while the original was moved to a secure location where she could continue providing assistance and continuing her education to prove beneficial for any future medical necessities.

The military assigned a few nurses to the good doctor and sent her back to her home of Sydney to establish her own clinic, Amilya the Ninth, as she was lovingly/teasingly called by those military nurses that worked with her, was a hard task master when it came to treating the occasional soldiers sent to her clinic or any of the citizens that routinely came under her watch. Because of her hard work and dedication she was eventually selected for the mission into space. Though she wasn't really that thrilled to be going out into space she understood that for the greater good she would need to. She asked her nurses to tend to the clinic as best they could and asked someone to water her plants before she reported to the facility to be blasted off into space.

Other Info: Amilya is extremely ticklish on her feet and under her arms.
"The Good Doctor"Character RP CD

Track NameArtist/AlbumMeaning
Hungarian Rhapsodies No. 2 in C-Sharp Minor, S. 244/2: Lento a capriccio
Franz Liszt - Franz Liszt complete collectionThe courtship of Annette and Dietrich
Evolutionary MeansRussell Cox - OC RemixScience saves a baby
Forever AutumnMoody Blues - Greatest Hits Touch and go childhood
Sour Times Portishead - ElectronicaBookworm Amilya
Harden My Heart Quarterflesh - The best of QuarterfleshStop teasing me!
City Theme Vanessa Mae - Vanessa Mae CD 1Part Fish?
Kyuutii Hanii (Cutie Honey) Ichirou Mizuki - Nagai Go - Club JamA beautiful young woman
Malone Lives Quarashi - JinxHighschool life
Carol of the Bells Hayley Westenra - Christmas musicWhat's so merry about Christmas?
Send me no wine Moody Blues - Threshold of a DreamRecovery from trauma
I Like Chopin Remix Unnown DJ - Classical Techno RemixesResolution to become a doctor
I'm a Pioneer Pioneer Anime - PANIMEI won't settle for just one MD...
Kekkou Kamenno Uta (Kekko Kamen) Go Nagai - Nagai Go - Club JamThe grind of a dedicated doctor
What I want Funkoars (Feat. Hilltop Hoods) - The Greatest HitsAmilya's her own type of woman
In the Hall of the Mountain King Edvard Grieg- DubgenieAmilya's residential grind
Pompeii E.S. Posthumus - UnearthedDr. Nguyen's betrayal
Zerospace Kidney Thieves - Kidney ThievesAliens wrecking the planet
Polyhymnia Scout McMillian - Saints 4Clashing ideals, Amilya and the Military
(I) Can, Can (You?) Vanessa Mae - StormOne Original and nine clones
Fly like an Eagle Seal -  Space Jam OSTNumber 9 spreads her wings
Angel Massive Attack - Snatch OSTSpace? Are you... oh, you're serious.
Tsuyoki Monoyo (Shin Mazinger Shougeki! Z Hen) Go Nagai - Nagai Go - Club JamBoldly going where I'm terrified to go
Fur Elise Remix Beethoven - Classical Techno RemixesDoctor Amilya Morgan reporting for duty, I guess.
Dust in the wind Sarah Brightman - Love MoodsThe life of a clone
Kiss from a Rose Seal - Batman Forever OSTIt's always hard giving bad news
Can't You See Clearly Now? Akari Kaida & Yoshino Aoki - Breath of Fire III OSTPrecious downtime
Let's Go With a Smile Hitoshi Sakimoto -Breath of Fire V OSTPutting your best bedside manner forward
Who Am I? Peace Orchestra - Animatrix OSTThe question of a clone, and a woman

Face Claim: Fan Art of Overwatch's Angela Ziegler/Mercy

Jan's Ons / Offs page

Chrystal

If anyone else wishes to create a clone character, please note that all clones will be tattooed with a QR-Code, that contains their genetic origin, their batch number and unit number, and the imprint set that needs to be used to give them consciousness.

I found a great little on-line QR-code generator that allows you to generate a text based code and save it as a jpeg.

http://www.qr-code-generator.com/

Xerial

[This space is intentionally left blank.]

jeflint

I can totally see Amilya happily conversing with Jacob in German, her native language.

Any chance he's published papers on any medical/technology for medicine? If so Amilya would remember Herr Marino with her enhanced memory. 😊

Chrystal

Quote from: Xerial on August 15, 2016, 06:54:13 AM
Name: Jacob Marino

Player ID: Xerial

Quote from: Chrystal on July 29, 2016, 10:40:07 AM
Character Creation

Please Note: All character sheets are to be PMed to me (Chrystal) for approval BEFORE being posted here.

Please copy the character sheet into a PM and send it to me, then delete the post, thanks.

The reason I ask this is so that I can discuss the character with you in private, and not have the recruitment thread cluttered up with character sheets that are not approved.

There is one major concern I have, before even mentioning anything else, which you might want to do something about before sending me the character:

Quote from: Xerial on August 15, 2016, 06:54:13 AM
Link to player Ons / Offs page: [/url] In all this time, never got around to one.

Quote from: Chrystal on July 29, 2016, 10:40:07 AM
Link to player Ons / Offs page - This is mandatory. I will not be responsible for someone doing something to your character and you saying "I don't like that!" if you don't have an o/o page. Equally I will not accept "I'm up for anything". Everyone has a limit, and if someone reaches yours and you haven't said what it is, then that is your own fault. Please link to either an O/O page or your preferences matrix.

I will not accept a player in a group game who does not tell me what their hard limits are, nor what their specific ons are.

I have one friend who actively enjoys having her characters killed in as brutal a manner as possible, and yet sexual role play turns her off completely. Everyone has limits, things they would not enjoy being done to their character. If someone finds one of your hard limits in my game, and you have not listed it, then it is entirely your own fault, I will not be held responsible, nor will I hold any other player involved to be responsible.

Xerial

I see Jacob less about publishing papers than about challenging them. If he is published it would be on some wildly esoteric subject such as using termite colony structures to predict long term climate change, or cheese appreciation.  ;D

Kythia

How does he challenge them if not by writing a rebuttal?

jeflint

Quote from: Xerial on August 15, 2016, 05:42:40 PM
I see Jacob less about publishing papers than about challenging them. If he is published it would be on some wildly esoteric subject such as using termite colony structures to predict long term climate change, or cheese appreciation.  ;D

Hmmm, I suppose that's fair enough. Was just wondering if Amilya and Jacob might have shared history. The world of Academia scholars tend to bump into one another.

Chyrstal,

It's ok to update our Offs & On's during play right? I know I update my Offs & Ons based on a game. I was playing Spies in monster town and didn't realize until I was speaking to a GM how much something turned me off (infertal futa) as soon as I realized I updated my O/O's but that came about via dialogue before a game. I figured I'd read O/O threads as they were posted, I think Eislemann's is broken the link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

eiselmann

I think you are right will get that sorted...

edit sorted.

Edit on the edit its not complete however the hard off's are in there

My ons and offs link

jeflint

jeflint

Well... I guess Amilya is probably not going to be on Dion's list since she's short. :P I was actually debating making her 5'10" but I don't like to play tall female characters, unless I'm going to do a slow shrink to be dominated by the partner, but not a lot of people like transformative fetishes like me. **shrugs** So long as I get to be the sub I'm happy. :P

noodlebloom

Quote from: Chrystal on August 12, 2016, 04:20:03 PM

Cool. You realise that this role requires probably the most imagination? Because you are going to have to come up with all the various technobable related to the gyrazamagogle that spins inside the scrabatroblic disproxic field and creates the psuedentific waves that push the ship through Mu-space.... .... Er..... Or whatever...!

No, but seriously, the tech is the thing... Science-fantasy technology is like a cross between Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings. (Heh, given that the Stargates are rings, that's quite apt!) So, if you think you can handle that I'll be glad to have you aboard.

Whoops, sorry for the late reply, I've been dodging the floods. Anyway, yeah, that's what excited me about playing the engineer! I'm actually going into the field IRL, so it's double good. I'll go ahead and get the character sheet made up and PMed to you.

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 15, 2016, 07:18:58 PM
Chyrstal,

It's ok to update our Offs & On's during play right? I know I update my Offs & Ons based on a game. I was playing Spies in monster town and didn't realize until I was speaking to a GM how much something turned me off (infertal futa) as soon as I realized I updated my O/O's but that came about via dialogue before a game. I figured I'd read O/O threads as they were posted, I think Eislemann's is broken the link doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Of course. You can't think of everything that might turn you off and certainly can't list everything that turns you on! There may well be things that you simply haven't imagined were possible, that might turn you off or on...

All I ask is that, if someone does something to your character that you don't like, please PM them and ask them to change it as quickly as you can, and copy me in on the PM. And if you do add something to your O/Os, it would be polite to post to the OOC to say you have done so, that way people will know to check.

Equally (and this applies to everyone), if someone does PM you and ask you to change a post, please do so, but also please keep me informed (Rule 13).

Also Jeflint, thanks for spotting that link. Proves I'm not being thorough, because I should have tested it myself. LOL. Eis, thanks for fixing it buddy!

Quote from: noodlebloom on August 16, 2016, 01:36:57 PM
Whoops, sorry for the late reply, I've been dodging the floods. Anyway, yeah, that's what excited me about playing the engineer! I'm actually going into the field IRL, so it's double good. I'll go ahead and get the character sheet made up and PMed to you.

No worries. RLCM. Looking forward to seeing it. Please note the slight change to the notes:

History: A lot of people have trouble writing the history. I have supplied a basic outline of the last 22 years. If you want some suggestions, please ask me. Note that anyone who was on the original mission to Proxima Centauri will be at least 45 years old (not 50, due to time dilation), possibly older, and thus disqualified from the mission on age grounds. At least two paragraphs of a decent size please. Again, the more you write the more likely I am to accept the character. Please remember to include what your character was doing on 9th February 2095, the day the Enemy attacked Earth, how they survived, and what their reaction was, also what they have been doing sinse and whether they have any experience fighting the aliens.

eiselmann

Please remember to include what your character was doing on 9th February 2095, the day the Enemy attacked Earth, how they survived, and what their reaction was, ...............

Do you want me to add a bit in my bio around the events of the day ?

My ons and offs link

Chrystal

You did:

QuoteWhen the aliens arrived in '97 , the RAF like all of Earths Various Armed forces were overwhelmed at first, however in the skies over London one battle changed everything for what remained of the Royal Air Force. 22 British Pilots engaged with 42 Alien Craft. Only three loses were suffered while 36 Enemy were downed . Dion who at that point was one of the few 'Aces' around, took out ten of those craft.

That is sufficient, You have given us enough information to say he was in the RAF, he was involved in the air-to-air combat between human and alien craft and he took part in a cruicial battle.

And that's all I really need from anyone. What I don't want is for characters to have no reference to the events, and for the invasion to have had no influence on them. The attack took place two years ago, and profoundly changed the course of the future! No-one - even a hermit living in a cave in Tibet, would be unaffected by the attack.

Kythia

Could you expand a little on what actually happened in the invasion?  All there is is two little sentences buried in the middle of a paragraph:

QuoteThe full might of the Enemy's ships turned towards Earth. Humanity had very little warning of the assault and millions died

and its pretty hard to know what to do with that.  Quite honestly, I missed/forgot it first time and second time I read it as an orbital bombardment (Ships came to Earth.  Millions died.  No mention of an "invasion" per se) but then Eiselmann's write up doesn't gel with that.  Was there ground combat?  Did they land?  Did we invade their ships?

jeflint

Happy to help Chrystal. :) I tend to click on a lot of my fellow players links to just get to know more about them. I'm kinda nosy at times.

Question does this count for enough information about the attack/war for Amilya:

It would have been worse for the young doctor had Aliens not popped out of hyperspace a few months later. The US government saw no reason not to make use of Amilya's talents and told her that if she worked for them she'd be given back her three degrees. Amilya agreed because without access to a clinic she wouldn't be of assistance to the sick and the injured and she'd not been allowed into the clinic she'd been finishing her residency at or even take any emergency calls while she'd been in Sydney.

She was escorted to Hawaii and instructed to what she was going to be done. At age 24 Amilya was cloned several times. Nine clones were deployed into the field, while the original was moved to a secure location where she could continue providing assistance and continuing her education to prove beneficial for any future medical necessities.

If it's not I'll expand it a bit. In my mind Amilya tried to be a doctor but she wasn't allowed because she'd had her licenses and degrees stripped from her, forbidding her from practicing medicine.

Chrystal

Quote from: Kythia on August 16, 2016, 07:31:39 PM
Could you expand a little on what actually happened in the invasion?  All there is is two little sentences buried in the middle of a paragraph:

and its pretty hard to know what to do with that.  Quite honestly, I missed/forgot it first time and second time I read it as an orbital bombardment (Ships came to Earth.  Millions died.  No mention of an "invasion" per se) but then Eiselmann's write up doesn't gel with that.  Was there ground combat?  Did they land?  Did we invade their ships?

Yes, I will. I have been meaning to flesh out the time-line a little, I just haven't got around to it...

Quote from: jeflint on August 16, 2016, 07:37:05 PM
Happy to help Chrystal. :) I tend to click on a lot of my fellow players links to just get to know more about them. I'm kinda nosy at times.

Question does this count for enough information about the attack/war for Amilya:

It would have been worse for the young doctor had Aliens not popped out of hyperspace a few months later. The US government saw no reason not to make use of Amilya's talents and told her that if she worked for them she'd be given back her three degrees. Amilya agreed because without access to a clinic she wouldn't be of assistance to the sick and the injured and she'd not been allowed into the clinic she'd been finishing her residency at or even take any emergency calls while she'd been in Sydney.

If it's not I'll expand it a bit. In my mind Amilya tried to be a doctor but she wasn't allowed because she'd had her licenses and degrees stripped from her, forbidding her from practicing medicine.

It's enough. Feel free to expand it if you wish, after I add to the time-line... Which won't be now as I have to go.

Chrystal

Okay, a new and far more detailed history is under a spoiler in the opening post. Please have a read and if any of you feel the need to amend your characters' histories, please let me know.

I have been deliberately vague about loccations, because I want to allow creative freedom. Rather than specifying a list of places that were attacked, a list of places that landings were attempted and beaten off and a list of places that landings succeeded, i want people to be inventive.

This was actually my original intent in leaving everything deliberately vague. Eis' Second Battle Of Britain, fought in the skies over south east England, is exactly what I was hoping people would come up with!

You don't even need to be particularly specific. I would just like some acknowledgement in characters' back-stories that this earthshaking event took place and they actually noticed!

OR.... If they were out of the solar system at the time. That is an option.

Thanks!

Hazy Sky

I'm working on my character sheet at the moment. I'm still fitting the pieces together with this guy. Sorry it's taking a while.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

No problem Skyre. Things are moving slow. We still need at least one more player, to take either the commander role of the linguist role.

I could probably combine some roles - the ship's engineer could be the alien technology expert, and the commander could feasibly be the linguist. The marine guards are mostly going to be NPCs anyway. I'd just rather have the commander be a different player from the linguist...

Juggtacular

Hazy Sky

Well the position was sort of my idea, I'm working on a character sheet for that position, but Chrystal has the final say obviously, because it's her game.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Originally there wasn't a sniper/scout position. Skyre suggested it, so the position is his unless he relinquishes it voluntarily.

There are several other positions still open, including the possibility of non-clone marine guards, alien technology expert, Linguist and Commander. Or if you can think of any other role I might have forgotten.

Equally, the roles of Engineer and Sergeant are technically open, because I do not yet have approved character sheets for them... The sooner people get me those sheets the more likely you are to not miss out!

Kythia

Quote from: Chrystal on August 19, 2016, 04:35:47 AM
Equally, the roles of Engineer and Sergeant are technically open, because I do not yet have approved character sheets for them... The sooner people get me those sheets the more likely you are to not miss out!

The sooner the Olympics finishes the more likely I am to get on with things that aren't watching the Olympics!

Blame the IOC, not me.

jeflint

lol, my spare time is spent playing overwatch. :P Someone's gotta be the medic. ;)

Chyrstal, I also updated Amilya's background a bit. Just the part around the alien attacks to be more in line with the possible decimation of the human race. ;)

Chrystal

Yeah... Olympics have never failed to capture my total lack of interest...

Jeflint, that change is good. I think "decimation" is a bit of an overstatement, though! That implies one in ten is killed. With a population in excess of ten billion, that would require a billion deaths. I was careful to say "millions" for a reason!

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 19, 2016, 01:14:44 PM
Yeah... Olympics have never failed to capture my total lack of interest...

Jeflint, that change is good. I think "decimation" is a bit of an overstatement, though! That implies one in ten is killed. With a population in excess of ten billion, that would require a billion deaths. I was careful to say "millions" for a reason!

To quote Harold Saxon "decimation has such a nice ring to it" 😜

I'll change the word I only put it as a descriptor not for the literal billion deaths that would entail. 😊

Chrystal

I don't think you actually used the word in your CS.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 19, 2016, 02:00:14 PM
I don't think you actually used the word in your CS.

lol I used the Uber generic "so many" in the history.

I had to go double-check. 😜

Xerial

Okay, Jacob has been re-kajiggered and re-submitted.

Chrystal

Xerial

Jacob 2.0

Name: Jacob Marino

Player ID: Xerial

Position: Lead Technologist

Height: 178.8cm
Weight: 90.7kg
Hair Colour: Varies (see modifications)
Eye Colour: Grey
Build: Deceptively thin

Modifications:
• Robotic left hand;
• Neural Nanites;
• Cortex/Computer Interface (CCI);
• Literal heart of a lion;
• Nicitating Membranes;
• Gills; and
• Mood hair
Distinguishing marks: Acid scars on his left wrist.

Sexuality: Straight (w. Xenosexual tendencies ;) )

Skills:
• Augmented Intellect: Jacob was of above average intelligence growing up, always capable of doing well in anything he cared to pursue, but not necessary excelling. This changed the day he inhaled the nanite swarm. He is now possessed of an eidetic memory, speed reading, and heightened pattern recognition.
• Archeologist: Professionally, when he bothers to seek gainful employment for an extended period of time, Jacob is an archaeologist. He has experience handling sensitive sites and finds with care some might not expect him to display otherwise.
• Polyglot: Languages are something Jacob always had a facility for. Thanks in part to his time travelling the world and in various dig sights, he has picked up a smattering of many languages, though usually he knows how to curse or make sexual advances. He holds actual profiles in German, Russian, and Irish Gaelic, the latter learned to pursue a rather fiery redhead. He also speaks a smattering of Centaurii, learned due to an obsession with the idea of being the first human to shag and alien.
• Charmer: Some might call him pathological, but Jacob does have the Devil's own talent for convincing people of things that are in his better interest. Things like his pristine academic background.

Weaknesses:
• Despite having signed on for a space-going venture, Jacob gets space-sick, and requires medication to keep the symptoms from manifesting. He wears a small patch behind his left ear to provide a constant dose, but if things get extremely rough it is not enough.
• To the detriment of his own body Jacob is an early-adopter of technologies. He might not be the first to the dance, but he will be in line to be. Rumor has it that the acid burns on his wrist are from when he intentionally dunked his hand in acid in order to qualify for the trial run of a more complete cybernetic replacement than was commercially available at the time.
• Jacob often appears absent-minded, though he rarely misses a beat. He simply gets lost in alternative chains of thought and forgets to weigh in on the present. This can infuriate some people who expect an immediate response from him.

• Though he will never admit to it, Jacob enjoys being on the receiving end of discipline. His tendency to push boundaries is a manifestation of this.
• Jacob prefers getting his hands dirty to book learning, which has been to his detriment over the years.
• Despite space sickness, Jacob feels at one with the sea, and he is never happier than when lounging on a beach or plying its waves.
• Experiencing anything new, be it a new type of music, a new adrenaline rush, or a new research theory.

Dislikes:
• While not a strict pacifist, he does not enjoy the idea of needless violence.
• Intellectual morass. If he does not have something to keep him busy, he will find something potentially detrimental to occupy himself.
• Humorless people. He will do all he can to push their buttons (see his secret enjoyment of discipline).

Personality:
Jacob is a classic case of a latchkey kid with too many resources at his own disposal. He is used to being given the freedom to simply do as he wants, and to having easy access to anything he might need along the way. Despite this he is not classically arrogant. He is well aware of the fact that he wasted a good deal of his life frittering about in the service of whim and wanderlust. With a deep desire to actually help, he has cultivated a persona that is somewhat detached in order to maintain a personal calm. He is will aware that his credentials are not as shiny as he might have presented them, and he is genuinely surprised he was hired on for the expedition, let alone in such a predominant position.

Now faced with being a department lead when all he really expected was to be a research aid, he walks the line between wanting to laugh at the twist of fate he has been presented and pushing all boundaries he can and having to seem like a professional. He will come off as flighty simply because he is trying to hold in his more boundless nature and keep his cool. When he feels the mission is too far gone to boot him out he may well fall more thoroughly back into his passionate and more whimsical self.

History:
The firstborn son of an old-money investment family, Jacob's parents expected him to become his father's protege and to continue the family line. They had plans for him. An Ivy League education, a law degree, internship in his father's investment bank, and then ultimately an executive position. They even had a list of potential partners picked out for him. As if destined to disappoint them he dropped out of the first two schools his father made generous donations to, dragged the first suitable partner he was introduced to on a whirlwind tour of Europe, and then buggered off for a quick tour with a civilian extra-solar mining outfit. That was just disastrous enough that he returned to Earth and started back into a campus couch surfing tour.

In his second attempt at going back to school he took up with a roommate with a penchant for designing experimental modifications. He already had two mods at that point - the nicitating membranes and gills, which allowed him to surf more gnarly waves, in his own words - but soon became infatuated with the idea of more radical mods, and began to expand his own mod collection. In a perhaps altered state of inebriation, he 'borrowed' a tube of nanites his roommate had been preparing for an animal trial, and he 'snorted' the contents. After waking from a small coma he woke up with more clarity than he had experienced in years. His enthusiasm for the wandering life had not been tempered by the new passengers in his head, but he was changed just enough that he was able to finish a xenoarcheology degree by correspondence. It was not an Ivy League education, but it was something.

Jacob's return home with his new degree was not as triumphant as expected. His parents were furious at his pissing away their money. His father threatened to disown him, though his mother was able to hold him at bay... at least until the skies became lousy with aliens. Though there was a part of him that wanted to help defend the planet from the alien invasions, his father sequestered the family to a remote compound in the hills surrounded by private contractors.

Jacob became fed up with hiding after a little over a year, and began to seek ways to help the war effort. He eventually stumbled upon the recruiters for this expedition. He volunteered for this assignment in part to further escape the specter of his parents' influence upon his life, figuring if there is one place they cannot meddle, it is in the depths of space. As for his credentials, well, those are more than a bit exaggerated. The two Ivy League schools he attended - for less than a semester between them - are the core of his academic claims. He has also enhanced the titles of the jobs he held in the various digs he worked for, with a flair for creatively naming mundane jobs (for example he claims to have extensive artifact handling experience, from dusting off soil from a handful of pottery fragments). This is not to say he is useless. He has a surprising breadth of experience, and a good deal of book learning, both augmented by the nanites he snorted on a dare. Passion also makes up for plenty, at least in his mind.

Face Claim: Ulliel Gaspard

Ons/Offs

Chrystal

Just one thing, please could you fix the link to your ons/offs? Thanks

Chrystal

Okay, does anyone remember an episode of M*A*S*H where Hawkeye and BJ try to out-do each other with practical jokes?

I can somehow see that happening between Dion and Jacob.

If you two guys want to do that, I would love to see what you come up with. I think the mission commander (whoever that turns out to be) might frown on the matter, but that is an IC thing!

eiselmann

Yeap remember that episode :-)

Totally up for a battle of practical jokes on the rest of the crew  >:)

My ons and offs link

jeflint

Quote from: eiselmann on August 20, 2016, 02:48:26 PM
Yeap remember that episode :-)

Totally up or a battle of practical jokes on the rest of the crew  >:)

Workaholic Amilya is going to be pranked often isn't she?

Chrystal

Chrystal

If anyone is still in the dark as to the sort of technology I am talking about, please read this TV Trope:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SufficientlyAdvancedBambooTechnology

jeflint

I can honestly say I've never heard of this trope, thank you Chrystal. :)

Chrystal

I love the TV Tropes database. I love following the links from one trope to another, to find more and more ridiculous things. It's actually reassuring for a writer to know that others have gone this way before and my use of a certain plot device is actually an existing trope.

In this instance, the alien tech is a form of unobtainium with Minovsky Physics, and is Sufficiently Advanced Bamboo Technology, clearly from a Crystal Spires and Togas civilization...!

LOL

I have persuaded someone to take the role of Linguist, just waiting on her to come back on-line so she can make some adjustments to the character sheet... (Yes I also reject character sheets submitted by my closest friends!)

So, this means I need to create the character for the commander, and we should be good to go.

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2016, 05:44:47 AM
I love the TV Tropes database. I love following the links from one trope to another, to find more and more ridiculous things. It's actually reassuring for a writer to know that others have gone this way before and my use of a certain plot device is actually an existing trope.

Personally I hate TV Tropes website. But that's because during my time of running a webcomic a number of trolls used to mess with our Tropes page and wiki because we had the audacity to try and get fans coming to our fantasy comic with pinup ads and the like. Nevermind that the comic won a few awards for character development and originality.

I almost swore off writing at that point.

Hazy Sky

Whilst I remember I'm face claiming Daniel Craig.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on August 21, 2016, 07:13:28 AM

LOL

That is so badly photoshopped!

Hopefully you are going to choose a pic of him in his younger days and not as he is now?

jeflint

Quote from: skyre on August 21, 2016, 07:13:28 AM

Of all the James Bonds, granted I've only seen 4 movies, I like him the least face wise. Body wise mmmm. But I gained new respect when he just wanted to be a faceless stormtrooper. I thought that was awesome.

Chrystal

Indeed. So few stars are willing to forego showing their faces to the camera, even if the role requires it. Sly Stallone is the perfect example, in Judge Dredd. 2000AD fans like myself all boycotted the movie because in the comic you NEVER saw Dredd's face.  But Stallone insisted that his face be shown without the helmet on. As if we didn't know it was him playing the role, ffs!

Another bad example of this is the movie Starship Trooper, where in Heinlein's book the MI wear full body armour with enclosing helmets that have electronic face plates and Rico gets into trouble in Bootcamp for flipping his face-plate up during an exercise so he could see better... But in the movie they all wear open face helmets, because Casper Van Dien wanted his face seen. *eyeroll*

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2016, 07:57:27 AM
Indeed. So few stars are willing to forego showing their faces to the camera, even if the role requires it. Sly Stallone is the perfect example, in Judge Dredd. 2000AD fans like myself all boycotted the movie because in the comic you NEVER saw Dredd's face.  But Stallone insisted that his face be shown without the helmet on. As if we didn't know it was him playing the role, ffs!

Another bad example of this is the movie Starship Trooper, where in Heinlein's book the MI wear full body armour with enclosing helmets that have electronic face plates and Rico gets into trouble in Bootcamp for flipping his face-plate up during an exercise so he could see better... But in the movie they all wear open face helmets, because Casper Van Dien wanted his face seen. *eyeroll*

I had other problems with Starship Troopers than Casper Van Dien. And I loved the first dredd film for how horribly cheesy it was, but that said I think the one with Ceresi and McCoy was awesome. That dredd made my skin go hibby jeeby when he said he was the law.

Hazy Sky

This one. I wanted someone a little bit time worn,  with the edges knocked off, but still handsome.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

Chrystal

Uh..... why? LOL. I do hope you're kidding!

@ Jeflint: Just out of interest, what is that incredibly sexy creature in your avatar? It makes me seriously want to play with those boobies and possibly find out what is under the tail...!

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on August 21, 2016, 09:43:15 AM
This one. I wanted someone a little bit time worn,  with the edges knocked off, but still handsome.

LOL, okay, fair enough! You answered the question before I asked it!

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2016, 09:48:06 AM
@ Jeflint: Just out of interest, what is that incredibly sexy creature in your avatar? It makes me seriously want to play with those boobies and possibly find out what is under the tail...!

I've actually been getting asked that question a lot recently.

That golden scaled girl is my first fursona Mirlinth Loth, the translation is hidden flower jewel. She's half dragon half human. The picture is from one of the wallpapers we used as patron incentives before Patron was around.

The webcomic is at www.lothonline.com at some point I'll revisit the character for a proper fantasy novel. We finished the comic prematurely due to financial reasons.

My third novel that's going to be published here shortly was originally featuring this character before i dropped the furry aspect of the story.

BeckyAnnn

Name: Valarie Hale
Player ID: BeckyAnnn

Position: Linguist

Height: 167.64 cm (if she were able to stand)
Weight: 58kg
Hair Colour: Same as picture
Eye Colour:  Same as picture
Build:  Same as picture

Modifications: none
Distinguishing marks: scar on lower back from childhood surgeries

Sexuality: Omni (by which I mean if the situation was right and the feelings were there she might be seduced by any gender or even possibly other species)

Skills: Linguistics.  Expert in many ancient and dead languages.  Foremost expert in the Centaurii written language among humans.  The spoken Centaurii language has never been heard by humans so speaking it at this point would be impossible.
Ability to analyze and improvise in unexpected situations even in the absence of modern technology.  Adaptability.
Ability to express herself clearly and forcefully when necessary. Will not back down when she knows she is right but at the same time is willing to listen to and consider another's suggestions or point of view. 
Weaknesses: Physical limitations.  Confined to a wheelchair.  Required to demonstrate her capabilities before being chosen for the mission.  Had to fight for her position on the team  in order to convince the mission coordinators that she was the best person for the job.  Had to Demonstrate that her qualifications and abilities out weighed her limitations.
Vulnerability.  Her physical limitations and limited natural mobility do leave her vulnerable in certain situations. She has made specialized modifications to her wheel chair (more on that later) that help but still, if a situation turns hostile, her limited mobility is a drawback.
Does not deal well with criticism, but that is because she is usually right.
Does not trust the "miracle of modern medicine."  Technology has improved her mobility but the marvels of advanced medicine has utterly failed to improve her condition. 
Distrustful.  She guards her heart very strictly. She is likable and social but not very easy to get close to.

Likes: Archeology/history: You can study history without archeology but you can not study archeology with out history.  Archeology is physical, tangible history.  Her interest in languages sprang from her interest in these two fields.
Exercising: It is important to Valarie to keep in good shape.  She opts to use a standard, human powered wheelchair as it is the best way to develop and maintain upper body strength and stamina.
Gymnastics: Goes along with exercising but more specific it helps her develop mobility apart from her wheelchair.
Dislikes: The term "Centaurii" because they clearly originated elsewhere.
Being underestimated.  Yes she has limitations and vulnerabilities.  She knows this and doesn't mind help with things beyond her limits but she becomes easily annoyed with people who want to do everything for her.  If you would not go out of your way to bring an able bodied team member their dinner then do not do it for her.  She can do it herself.
Doctors.  Not so much the individuals but the profession as a whole.  That is not to say that she does not recognize the need for them or can't be friends with one.  But at a time when "there's nothing we can do" is rarely ever heard, the medical profession has let her down. 
Showing weakness.  This goes along with her guarding her heart as she does.  She already has a physical weakness that she can not hide.  She does not need to show any emotional weakness as well.

Personality: Valarie is fiercely independent.  Do not make the mistake of underestimating her.  You will regret it.  She is friendly and social but can be hard to get to know.   She can be chatty and flirty in social setting though she has never been much for the dating scene.  That is not to say she has never dated but she never can escape the feeling that her date is only going out with her because of pity.  That has never actually been the case but it is one of her insecurities. 

The flip side to the Valarie coin is that she is very serious about her work, to the point of being obsessive it times. And she is always right.  Just ask her.

History: Valarie was born in 2070 to noted archeologists Stewart and Mira Hale.  She was born with a debilitating birth defect, spina bifida to be precise.  With modern medical techniques, the defect was completely avoidable had her parents undergone the recommended genetic screening before trying to have a child. The screening could have detected the risk in her parents' genes and eliminated it before Valarie had ever been conceived.   But they opted not to have the screening done citing the fact that even among un-screened parents the over whelming majority of pregnancies resulted in the birth of health newborns.  They were wrong.  Furthermore, the screening would have likely reveled the genetic blood disorder that killed Mira three years later.

As mentioned before, Stewart Hale and his wife both were celebrated archeologists and Stewart continued in his field even after her lost his wife and research partner.  For this reason, Valarie spent a lot of her childhood with a trusted nanny who the child loved and cherished more than anyone aside from her father. 

In spite of the fact that Valarie was unable, at the time, to accompany him on his digs, Stewart did not exclude his daughter from his work.  He took meticulous notes and photo records of the artifacts his expeditions unearthed and shared them with his daughter.  Valarie would spend hours pouring over the tiniest details of those notes and photographs and between that and her own research on line and through scholarly journals she began to develop a knack for deciphering even the most obscure languages and dialects.  This knack would one day become both her academic and professional pursuit. 

Valarie was continually pressuring  her father to take her with him on expeditions but he was so afraid something would happen to his precious daughter that he could not bring himself to take her.  "A dig site is no place for a wheelchair, my dear" he would tell her.  Hover chairs had been developed well before she was born but Valarie did not like them.  They tended to be bulky and hard to maneuver in tight places.  And they tended to impede one's self sufficiency rather than improve it, or at least in Valarie's mind that was the case.  She tended to like to do everything herself, including powering her own wheel chair.

But Valarie was not one to give up easily. When Valarie was 13 and while her dad was away on another expedition, she and her nanny enlisted the help of an engineer friend to make modifications to her preferred model of wheel chair.  When Stewart returned his daughter had a redesigned wheelchair with hovering capabilities that would allow the girl to transverse rugged terrain safely.  It was lighter, more compact, more maneuverable and more versatile than any hover chair on the market.  Lift was achieved with five very compact but very powerful turbines. Motion was controlled with a small joy stick positioned on the left side of the chair (Valarie is left handed) and could be tucked out of the way when not in use.  The turbines were mounted under the chair, the wheels giving them about two inches of ground clearance when not in use.  Directional controls was achieved by directing more power to the appropriate turbines.  If one wanted to move forward one would push the joystick forward and more power would be directed to the two turbines mounted on the two back corners of the chair.  Likewise, if one wanted to move to the right one would move the joystick in that direction and more power would be directed to the two turbines mounted on the left side of the chair.

The idea was all well and good but the power was going to be a problem.  The original idea was for the rider to be able to just flip to hover mode and go.  But the batteries or gas engine and tank required to power such operation would sacrifice  the chair's maneuverability  both in hover mode and manual mode.  That was not what Valarie wanted at all.  So the decision was made to sacrifice hover time for a more compact and light weight chair.  The hover capability highly restricted lasting up to only one minute, more than enough time to get the rider over what one might consider a reasonable obstacle on uneven walking path.    Basically it allowed the rider to float over any obstacle that the average hiker would be able to step over with little effort. The turbines themselves were powered by four batteries mounted under the chair as well.  These were the heaviest part of the upgrade but not so heavy as to be a major hindrance to the manual operation of the chair.  The power required to hover the chair and rider even a short distance drained the batteries to fifty percent very quickly.  The power drain was limited to fifty percent for safety reasons. This was to prevent the situation where the rider was stranded in a situation with zero power and no way to manually move the chair out of the situation.  This feature could be over ridden manually in order to access that remaining  fifty percent power but there was no way to "accidentally" use up all the battery power.

The batteries had a two part charging system.  The first and primary charging method was by manually operating the chair.  As long as the wheels were rolling the batteries were charging.  The chair could even be secured to a tread mill and charged while Valarie slept.  The second charging system was so small and of such minimal usefulness it was hardly worth the trouble of installing on the chair.  This system relied on two small photocells mounted on the back of the chair at seat level to collect solar power to supplement the main charging system.  The engineer laughed and suggested that if they wanted he could reroute that power to use as a seat warmer.   Once the upgrades were installed and minor adjustments made as needed the chair was ready to go and Valarie was excited to show it to her dad.

With her father's help she patented and marketed the design then sold the manufacturing rights for some ungodly sum of money.  Four years later they patented a new model with bio sensors and homing capabilities that allowed the chair to sense if the rider had become unconscious or otherwise unable to control the chair and return to a base station with which the chair communicated.  The base station was a portable unit that could be placed almost anywhere.  If they were visiting Paris for instance, the base station could be placed in their hotel room and the chair would return there if the system were activated.  More importantly, if the father and daughter were on an expedition together Stewart felt more comfortable letting his disabled daughter out of his sight knowing that if something were to happen to her the chair would bring her back to base camp rather than him not knowing she was in trouble until he could not find her.  There was a manual control as well that allowed the user to activate the homing system him/herself so that if he/she became lost the chair would take them back to the base station.   The next year they released a watch that also communicated with the base station.  The watch would alert the wearer that the system had been activated.  The wearer could see if the chair was closer to his location or the base station and alter the chair's destination if it could get to the wearer sooner than it could the base station.  Homing system even had the capability to access the hover system if need be.  Valarie made another nice profit off of these designs as well.

After high school Valarie enrolls in UCLA's School of Anthropology and Archeology.   It is during her freshman year at UCLA that the secret to the Centaurii stones' power is unlocked and the world is changed forever.   It is at that point that she becomes interested in the Centaurii and she throws herself into their study. Both her undergraduate capstone project and her master's thesis were based on the study of the Centaurii written language.

On January 16, 2095 Valarie is in a meeting room on the Ross 248 outpost.  She works for the United Nations and has, for the better part of the last two years, been trying to decipher a message that was transmitted when an explosion destroyed an archeological dig site on Epsilon Indi A I.   She is frantically trying to convince her military counter parts that she has cracked part of the mysterious code and they need to be ready.  She slams her hand down on the table. "The Enemy is coming! Now what are you going to do about it?"  Moments later all hell breaks lose.

Valarie Hale is one of the few survivors of the attack on Ross 248.  It was mostly luck.  Being in the right place at the right time.  She escaped with the rest of the military brass she had been meeting with on the only vessel to make it off Ross in one piece and they manage to warn Earth of the impending attack.

July 4, 2097:  After a rigorous selection process and an even more rigorous training program, the selected members of the crew for the Pollux mission are making final preparations for the mission.  Valarie Hale was proud to have secured her place on the Pollux team as well as a place in history.  The mission would go down in the history books if they succeeded.  All of human history would likely be erased if they failed.
Other Info: In the months leading up to the Pollux expedition Valarie designed a new chair that utilized Centaurii power and technologies to overcome the limitations of her previous chair designs.  Gone where the turbines and batteries central to her old chair's operation.  The homing station remained largely unchanged aside from its source of power.  But the chair then had seemingly limitless hover power though Valarie still preferred to operate the chair manually. 

Face Claim: Unknown

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=176409.0

Chrystal

@ Xerial

Yes I am fully aware that Becky's statement in her character profile about the spoken Centaurii language contradicts your own statement that Jason can speak a few words of Centaurii. This is deliberately allowed, for two reasons: One it is actually logical, and two it makes perfect sense that Jason might think he can speak a few words, where in fact what he would end up saying would sound more like the policeman from the TV series  'Allo 'Allo, only worse!

As there are no surviving audio recordings of the language, he would have to extrapolate it from ancient Earth languages, but there are no known recordings of those, so they have to be extrapolated from more recent ones and so on...

He is perfectly allowed to believe he can say "Hi gorgeous, want to fuck?" in Centaurii, but it's more likely to come out as "Inverted canyon, desiring my bits in your gateway".

jeflint

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2016, 02:52:38 PM
@ Xerial

Yes I am fully aware that Becky's statement in her character profile about the spoken Centaurii language contradicts your own statement that Jason can speak a few words of Centaurii. This is deliberately allowed, for two reasons: One it is actually logical, and two it makes perfect sense that Jason might think he can speak a few words, where in fact what he would end up saying would sound more like the policeman from the TV series  'Allo 'Allo, only worse!

As there are no surviving audio recordings of the language, he would have to extrapolate it from ancient Earth languages, but there are no known recordings of those, so they have to be extrapolated from more recent ones and so on...

He is perfectly allowed to believe he can say "Hi gorgeous, want to fuck?" in Centaurii, but it's more likely to come out as "Inverted canyon, desiring my bits in your gateway".

I can honestly say that I would read words and not having heard them pronounced i would say them incorrectly.

Chrystal

Name: Natasha Price

Player ID: Chrystal

Position: Mission Commander

Height: 178 cm
Weight: 76 kg
Hair Colour: As Picture
Eye Colour: As Picture
Build: Slender and well toned

Modifications:
Tactical computer chip implant. This chip gives her the ability to monitor in real time the status of her ship and crew, and on planet to track the position of anyone equipped with a secure transponder. She can also communicate in real time with anyone else who has a similar chip implant or other comms chip and is within about 10km so long as there is not a significant amount of radio-opaque material in the way (such as the hull of a warship or a mountain). She can communicate in real time via ship-to-ship with any other vessel within range.
Tactical targeting chip in her right palm. This chip links directly with her personal side-arm and connects it to the tactical chip in her head via bluetooth. This makes it almost impossible to miss a shot provided her target is within the side-arm's range
Distinguishing marks: She has an intricate tattoo on the inside of her left thigh

Sexuality: Lesbian

Skills: Nat has 17 years seniority in the Royal Navy - Now EarthForce Space Fleet England - as a navy jet pilot, moving up through the ranks to command her own squadron. She is highly intelligent, is very tactically aware, and can think fast. She distinguished herself in the Fourth Oil War, flying as flight leader from the aircraft carrier HMS Princess Pauline, with a number of kills to her credit. She is possibly the most decorated commander in Space Force.
Weaknesses: Has an over-inflated belief in her own invulnerability, which tends to make her volunteer for missions like this one. She has a soft spot for the ladies under her command and would much rather send men into dangerous situations, or take them herself. Tends to have difficulty delegating, and wants to make sure things are done properly. This can also be interpreted as a lack of trust in those under her command.

Likes: Girls, especially naked and in her bed. Outwitting the enemy, whether that be the current alien menace or an opponent in a board game. Board games. Fresh fruit. Excercise.
Dislikes: People doing a sloppy job. Being told she can't do something. Being argued with. Pushy men. Homophobes.

Personality: Nat likes to think she's firm but fair as a commander. In fact she can come across as pushy. She has a tendency to micromanage her subordinates, especially in situations where she is unable to do anything except watch. This is something that her superiors in EarthForce have mentioned to her and is something that has prevented her from being promoted to Commander, until she can learn to delegate properly. Off duty she can come across as aloof, but in fact she is extremely lonely and would like nothing more than to share her bunk with a female companion.

History: Born in 2060, Natasha Price was raised to be a good Catholic and a pacifist. When she was 19, word spread like wildfire around the globe that Mankind was not the only sapient species in the galaxy. The riots and religious uprisings, coupled with the Pope throwing himself from the Vatican's balcony, convinced her that religion was a farce, that her own sexual preference was not, in fact, a sin, and that being a pacifist was the best way in the world to get killed.

She joined the Royal Navy Officer Cadet Corps, and qualified for flight training. Soon she was flying jet fighters from the deck of the ageing Fleet Carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth. She tried to volunteer for the second mission to Proxima, but was denied, like thousands of others. She rose swiftly through the ranks of the RN's Fleet Air Arm, and when the first Chieron expedition returned was already commanding her own fighter squadron.

When the Fourth Oil War began, with unprovoked attacks on Western shipping in the Gulf of Suez, Nat was sent to fight aboard the new carrier HMS Princess Pauline with her squadron of new generation fighters, equipped with anti-gravity, energy weapons, repulsor shields, unlimited supersonic thrust and inertial neutralisation, all things that gave the western powers an unbeatable edge over the older aircraft and weaponry of the Jihaad. The Arab nations were easily defeated and Nat was given several medals for bravery - it was that or cashier her for recklessness.

The Royal Navy soon expanded into space and Nat was given command of a Space Corvette, the HMSS Andromeda - basically a glorified scout ship. When Earth was attacked she was eleven light years away, delivering a group of scientists to a newly discovered  "Centaurii" ruin on Groombridge 34 A-1.

Word quickly reached her via Hyperlight Comms, and she abandoned the scientists and headed back to the Solar System as fast as she could, arriving too late to take part in the fighting, and anyway her ship was ill-equipped for such combat However the fact that she managed to slip through the alien blockade  without being destroyed gave her commanding officers the perfect mission for her - Blockade Running. Her ship became a blockade runner, running supplies out past the enemy ships that patrolled the solar system to the surviving extra-solar bases and Earth's two colonies.

Nat took her ship into the enemy occupied Epsilon Indi system to rescue the starwatcher who had reported a new wave of Enemy ships arriving. The EF Andromeda was badly damaged in the rescue, and on return to Earth was declared unspaceworthy. Nat was given another medal for the rescue and for managing to bring the ship down in one piece. She was tapped for command of the Pollux expedition because of her experience in evading the enemy blockade, and her ability to think on her feet in unexpected situations.

Other Info: Nothing I can think of.

Face Claim: April Lewis

Link to player Ons / Offs page

eiselmann

Ooh she's going to 'love' watching Dion at the controls isn't she :-)

Should be fun to write with/against your character

My ons and offs link

Chrystal

Oh hell yeah... She's going to have a hard job keeping her hands off the controls herself... She landed the EF Andromeda herself after the E.I. rescue mission, because the pilot was wounded, after all...

She is also set up for conflict with Ms Hale... Becky knows what is planned on that one!

So, I need three more character sheets...

Hmmm.... I just thought of another crew position.

Edit to add: I'm not sure if I'm grateful no-one else does the maths, or disappointed that no-one else spotted that I had given Nat 27 years seniority when she's 37, meaning she joined up when she was 10! ... Er, nope, that was a typo. I fixed it now.

Folks, just because I'm the GM doesn't mean I don't have to answer to you lot. I've been quite brutal in my approval of your characters. Please feel free to PM me and say if you spot anything that you think doesn't work - like me getting the maths wrong!

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: Chrystal on August 21, 2016, 05:09:11 PM
Edit to add: I'm not sure if I'm grateful no-one else does the maths, or disappointed that no-one else spotted that I had given Nat 27 years seniority when she's 37, meaning she joined up when she was 10! ... Er, nope, that was a typo. I fixed it now.

Folks, just because I'm the GM doesn't mean I don't have to answer to you lot. I've been quite brutal in my approval of your characters. Please feel free to PM me and say if you spot anything that you think doesn't work - like me getting the maths wrong!

Hey, I just got around to reading it, okay?  Geesh    *giggles

Yes, just how is Nat going to react to having a civilian team member standing up to her, so to speak.

I can't remember of the top of my head, and am too lazy to go looking for myself at the moment....Is Valarie the only civilian on the team?  I am thinking the good doctor might be civilian as well?  And Jacob?  Was he a civilian too?  What does the chain of command look like with all the military and civilian team members?  You may have covered this and I am just not remembering.  Been playing a lot of catch up since you asked if I would be interested in the role, Chrystal.  Thanks for that by the way. 

jeflint

The doctor is a civil. 😊

Also with Becky. I just now read the two new characters. Also welcome to our linguist.

It's funny all the female characters do far are all serious while our guys are less serious... It's gonna be guys vs girls isn't it?

Chrystal

The doctor, the technology geek and the linguistics geek are all civilians, and as such are not directly subject to the chain of command.

The chain for the other characters will largely depend upon their ranks, but I'm envisioning Commander -> Pilot -> Engineer -> Gunner -> Marine Sergeant -> Marine Scout -> Marines

Incidentally, this is the EFS Gemini

eiselmann

Ohh second in command -)

Like the nice shiny ship....that first scratch is going to be a killer........by mission end another ding won't even be noticed

'Go that way really fast. If something gets in the way ....turn".
BANG
" I said turn,  not, keep going straight"

My ons and offs link

jeflint

Are you sure that's a ship and not a gun? I'm a doctor not a engineer. :P

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: jeflint on August 21, 2016, 08:10:50 PM

I said it looks like a bug. It's a sexy ship though.  ;)

Kythia

Right.  Olympics are over, I shall return to E and write things.  Starting with changes to the character sheet.

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 21, 2016, 08:10:50 PM

"His brain's gone!"

"Och these're verra sensitive instruments!"

"It's Life Captain, but not as we know it...!"

"He's dead, Jim!"

"Ye cannae change th' laws o' physics, Cap'n"

Right, that's all the Star Trek quotes out of the way. Moving swiftly on...

Quote from: Kythia on August 21, 2016, 11:10:31 PM
Right.  Olympics are over, I shall return to E and write things.  Starting with changes to the character sheet.

YAY!

And I specifically picked that ship because it looks like it's "organic". This is what "Sufficiently Advanced Bamboo Technology" looks like, at least when it's been retro-engineered by humans. The best thing about the ship is that there is no indication of scale, so we can fit whatever we want inside, within reason (It's not a TARDIS). So a small gymnasium, but no swimming pool, sorry!

jeflint

Hazy Sky

And I have a character sheet roughed out. I'm going to give it a proof read to make sure and then it will be making it way to you Chrystal.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

I just realized that the captain was Catholic... And there was a mention in her back story of the Pope killing himself.

How did other major religions take this? I never really thought of this, being an odinist in RL, I just sorta figured Amilya would be whatever the largest religion would be in Germany at the time.

I know our European brethren are more liberal in certain things so it's entirely possible that they're all happily agnostic by 2096.

Kythia

Quote from: jeflint on August 22, 2016, 09:50:48 AM
I just realized that the captain was Catholic... And there was a mention in her back story of the Pope killing himself.

How did other major religions take this? I never really thought of this, being an odinist in RL, I just sorta figured Amilya would be whatever the largest religion would be in Germany at the time.

I know our European brethren are more liberal in certain things so it's entirely possible that they're all happily agnostic by 2096.

Funnily enough, the official position of the Catholic Church is that aliens probably do exist and are probably hostile.

In the current day: parts of Germany are Catholic, parts are Lutheran.  Not sure where or how it's trending though.

eiselmann

For many there would be a crisis of faith , this would be especially true for Catholics with not just the loss of the pope but also in the fact that he killed himself.....if the Vatican were able to elect a new pope as they normally would ,that might be able to retain the bulk of their followers but this is unlikely to happen in a world under attack. More likely the church will shatter and the various parts of itself will be less than the whole was.

For others ,the aliens will be proof of God , they will be sent by God to punish humans for straying from the truth.

Expect all faiths to lose numbers (thou they will also gain new converts as well) expect those that remain to be more zealous than ever before

My ons and offs link

Kythia

Name: Havildar Rahana Saddiq, Sindh Rangers on secondment to USA led expedition

Player ID: Kythia

Position: Guard Sergeant

Height: 170
Weight: 60.5

Modifications: No genetic modifications, enforced by Pakistani, religious and international law (see below).  Drug release packages in her hands: she can release painkillers, adrenaline, sleeping drugs or sugar in to her bloodstream - one in each finger of her left hand, released by pressing it together with her right thumb.
Distinguishing marks: Name, regiment, blood type and military medical reference tattooed on her right bicep.

Sexuality: Bisexual

Skills:
Genetically "Perfect": 
Rahana is one of those limited number of people with no genetic weaknesses (at least as far as the current state of medical knowledge can find.)  No risk factors for genetic conditions, no identifiable risk factors for obesity, depression or addiction, no congenital organ weaknesses, nothing.  Under both the International Convention on Baseline Humanity and Pakistan's own Preservation of Humanity act, it's illegal for her to have genetic implants - the logic being that given the relative newness of genetic manipulation of humans, a baseline must be kept in case long term problems emerge.  Rahana is essentially breeding stock kept aside against the possibility of genetic degradation of humanity.  Pakistani religious law also forbids genetic manipulation, although that particular restriction is largely ignored.
Military Training:  The Indian/Pakistani border is not a soft option and certainly not a sinecure.  High grades in basic training are required to be posted there and troops are kept in a constant state of combat readiness.  Purely being there makes her amongst the best trained in the Pakistani army and staying there with only one minor demerit two years ago has only honed that.  She's a good shot, follows orders quickly, uses her own initiative when needed and maintains a high level of physical fitness.
Linguist: Growing up in FATA meant she learnt several tribal languages in addition to Sindhi, Urdu, Arabic and English.  In the army she added Hindi and Kashmiri to that total.  She doesn't speak any of the alien tongue, but Psych reports suggest she would be able to pick up the basics should the mission require it.

Weaknesses:
Superior:
Since mandatory genetic testing at thirteen she's known she is potentially the future of the human race.  Since posting to the border at 19 she's known she's part of the first line of defence of her country.  Her life has conspired to make her think she's important and valuable and it's not surprising she does so.  She's not rebellious or mutinous-there's no way she could have survived in the army if she was-but she is, and knows she is, more important than you. By objective measures.
Vain: For many years now she's regularly seen clones of her eighteen year old self.  That was fine when she was nineteen.  Not so bad when she was twenty five.  But now thirty isn't too far over the horizon it's starting to get to her a little.  Gravity is affecting boobs a bit and her skin is starting to lose a little elasticity.  A bitter pill for anyone, really, but made worse by constant reminders of her in her youth.  She pushes herself hard in PT, is careful about what she eats, moisturises several times a day and everything else she can do to stave off aging and the increasingly unfavourable comparisons it brings.
Hypochondria: These two factors have combined to make her a regular visitor to sick bay.  If she twinges her leg on the treadmill, she gets it checked out.  Coughs in the morning, gets a chest scan.  Nicks her leg shaving, asks for it to be sterilised and antibiotics prescribed. 

Brussels Sprouts - She eats well and healthily, making sure to get her five fruit and veg (at least three different colours, no more than two fruit) per day.
Cricket - She's a keen cricket fan, as a spectator not a player, and has vids of several important matches which she watches and re-watches for relaxation.
Being warm - She's an absolute sun worshipper and gets cold easily.  Whenever she's allowed control of the thermostat, people start sweating.  Fortunately it's rare.

Dislikes:
Chocolate - She doesn't drink, smoke, take drugs, eat simple carbohydrates, etc etc etc
Simmering arguments - A life amongst the barracks has made her keenly aware of how minor resentments can fester.  She dislikes people talking about others behind their back or not sorting out a disagreement immediately.  Not to say everyone has to be friends with everyone, but harming squad unity is a terrible thing.
Sleeping "alone" - Not necessarily "sleeping with" someone, but she's used to dormitories and finds it hard to get to sleep in a single room without the night time serenade of farts, mutters and creaks.

Personality:
She keenly feels the honour both for her and for her homeland of being on this mission.  She's absolutely committed to it, beyond the importance of the mission itself, which gives her a certain intolerance for on duty frivolity, particularly unhealthy on duty frivolity.  Off duty is different, everyone needs relaxation time, but when she's on her shift she's focused and expects everyone else to be.  Off duty she seeks out places where her clones aren't to relax and watch cricket.

She's culturally Muslim but doesn't practice.

Rahana is used to the tight camaraderie of her squad and tends towards a little standoffishness with new people.  However, she's an enthusiastic team player and will quickly join in with any "organised" activities - be that official teambuilding exercises or something as simple as a card game in the mess.  Whether she enjoys the activity itself or not, the goal here is to get to know the people she's working with.  She's just bad at it without a structure, bad at approaching people and saying "hi".

Once she does know people a little better she, like most people, tends to gravitate to those with similar interests.  Fitness or cricket, predominantly, about which she'll cheerfully hold long conversations.  She does her best with those who aren't special friends - again, squad unity is important - but does tend to shy away from those who make frequent references to sex, drugs, alcohol, etc. 

She's used to barracks and communal showers and, while not a nudist or exhibitionist, she's quite unabashed around females.

History:
For as long as Pakistan has existed her family has been in the Pakistani military and there was never any doubt in her mind that she would be too.  She was born, youngest of three girls, on a military base in FATA and subject to her father's stern military discipline from day one.

A brief spanner was thrown in this following her genetic testing at the onset of puberty when her "perfect" results made it unclear whether she would be risked in the military.  As part of the first cohort to be tested, it wasn't at all clear how many like her there were and so how precious she was but as the testing regime rolled out.  However, as time passed and it became clear that it wasn't so uncommon as to make military service impossible, her application to join the army was accepted.

Being prepared for it all her life, she passed basic training with flying colours - frankly it was easier than the training and disciple regime her father had inflicted on her.  She was fit, smart, knew her military history and quick to follow orders.  A natural, in fact, for the high-prestige border with India.

During her time there she continued to excel.  Clones weren't allowed on that border so except for periodic visits to Lahore to have genetic samples taken it didn't overly affect her life that there were so many duplicates of her running around.  Certainly didn't affect her making Havildar almost eighteen months ahead of "schedule" or having an exemplary service record. 

While there hasn't been outright "war" with India for over a century the militarised border kept her in a state of combat readiness and dealing with issues in the Kashmir gave her valuable live combat experience (it was there she earned her stripes). 

The border itself wasn't attacked during the alien invasion.  While heavily militarised by both nations that militarisation is spread over a large geographic area and not, apparently, heavily concentrated enough to attract their attention.  Even though both nations were attacked, neither abandoned it forces from the border as both felt the other would use this as an opportunity to attack and both saw the defence of the border as a matter for prestige.  She was rotated away from the border briefly in the wake of the attacks when the army was brought in to maintain order in some cities but didn't see any combat there.  Sheer visibility was enough to calm problems and the fact that Pakistan avoided riots like the ones that devastated Calcutta is a matter of some pride.

Behind the scenes, many strings were being pulled to get her on this mission.  It was felt by many that despite being an ostensibly international mission it would be composed almost entirely of Americans, or possibly Europeans and Americans if they were feeling generous, and many major groups were seeking to remedy that.  Chinese pressure was brought to bear, Russian, Arabic, South East Asian and many other ethnic and cultural blocks.  Over the course of the nominations, these solidified in to larger groupings and Pakistan threw its lot in with the Muslim world in an attempt to get a representative on the mission.  This effectively removed India's chances as even the massive sub-continent found itself outnumbered and they focused on Dr Sakkir from Egypt and on her as potential candidates.  She was, eventually, chosen by the panel that decided on the make up of the team over Egyptian howls of protest and ordered to go - wile she would have volunteered, she's not a volunteer.

Hazy Sky

Edit:

Character sheet has been removed as Chrystal has asked for some changes that require a rewrite.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

Skype, minor point. Women are blonde men are blond. I got all kinds of flak from my editor for that and tippy toes since it's supposed to be tippy toes. 😜

Hazy Sky

And I'm special, which is why I'm have a dispensation from being able to spell. :P
Joking I am.  I will adjust it on the final version.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

I just realized I said tippy toes twice instead of tippy toe. Probably autocorrect. 😝

Hazy Sky

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

jeflint

Hazy Sky

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Chrystal

Hi Dasha.

As I've not heard from Noodlebloom in over a week and she has been active, I'm going to say that if you get your character sheet to me and it is approved, before she gets a character sheet to me and it is approved, you can have the role.

If I get two character sheets on the same day, (in other words they are both in my inbox together) then I will give the role to the better one!

In other news, my PC is playing silly buggers. It was fine on Monday Morning. Monday evening it just locked up and wouldn't do anything. I finally got it working Tuesday evening by crashing it in Safe mode and forcing it to run "Start-Up repair". But now it insists on running that every time I restart it and then I have to re-install Firefox for some reason. So I'm thinking it's not long for this universe.

Fortunately I have just had my Annual Bonus so I will be buying a new one this weekend.

Once that is set up and running, The game will start.

People who are still working on character sheets can finish them and join in at any time. There won't be much for people to do (except me, Eise and Becky) except hang on to something or some one for the first few posts anyway...

jeflint

Quote from: skyre on August 24, 2016, 02:36:53 PM
Joking I am. :P
Autocorrect is a monster.

Yeah... in the Zootopia thread someone was typing my name, JEFlint, and it was ending up as something like Heffer or something. It was ridiculous whatever it was autocorrecting to and I didn't even see it till he pointed out that he'd autocorrected my name... I've spent  years using JEFLINT online, you'd think I'd notice when someone's talking to me and it's autocorrected to not my initals and last name. :P

Hazy Sky

Lars Bjornsson v2.00

Name: Lars Bjornsson

Player ID: Skyre

Position: Point man. Scout and sniper when required.

Height: 178 cm

Weight: 85 kg

Hair Colour: Blond, faded by the harsh tropical sun.

Eye Colour: Blue,  calm and clear.

Build: Lean, hard, wirey muscled.

Modifications: None. He is not overly comfortable with the idea of technology being implanted into or altering his body. Honestly, it gives him the creeps. He knows that he has to work hard to keep up with those who see things differently and he does his best to do so.

Distinguishing marks: A few faded tattoos. Mostly lines of poetry or snatches of songs that he likes or significant dates. Only one is recent, which is the date of the death of his wife and unborn son.

Sexuality: Straight.

Skills: Cold blooded. Lars has no problem with seeing his target and the intimate little marks of their life through his scope and still choosing to pull that trigger.

Professional. He knows his job, he knows his equipment and what's expected of him. He has both the training and the experience to do it and do it well. He doesn't get bored easily or lose focus.

Marksman. He was a hunter before the military trained him. You want a bullet between someone's teeth from extreme range? He's your man.

Good judgement. Lars is an expert at judging strengths and weaknesses in opponents and making use of them. Expect him to spot old wounds, weaknesses in armour and alike. He's also not beyond trying to get a read on emotional weaknesses and using those too. Anything to get an edge.

Weaknesses: Frozen heart. He can be very cold and clinical when under pressure. He's also probably not going to be the guy to give you a hug and tell you it's going to be alright at the end of bad day.

Possessive. Don't touch his stuff. Just don't. It will not end well. Interfere with his stuff and God help you. See bad temper.

Bad temper. He doesn't lose it easily, but when he does people get hurt or things get broken. Or both.

Hubris. He thinks he's the best. He probably is, but this means he will not handle failure or being outmatched well.

Old fashioned. He's not a huge fan of new technology for its own sake and tends to shy away in favour of older and simpler alternatives.

Likes: Target practice. Weapons maintenance. Playing the piano. Poker. Swedish vodka. Hunting. Chopping wood. Guns. The countryside and being out in it.

Dislikes: Oversleeping. Thieves. Losing. Dud ammo. Missing a shot. Not taking a clean shot. Scotch whiskey. Weakness. Failure. Being cooped up inside.

Personality:
There is a sense of sadness and loss that permeates his entire being. He is calm, level headed, unflappable and almost always with a gentle, calm smile on his lips. The sense that somehow something is missing from inside of him is hard to shake. That being said he is always friendly and polite and doesn't seem to get wound up easily. He doesn't seem to laugh much though, and that little smile never seems to broaden.

His work and serving the greater good are currently his main focus and drive in life. At least that what he thinks.

History:

Lars was born on a farm on the edge of the woods far from the bright lights of the big towns and cities in Southern Sweden. His parents were rather older than normal. Lars was a very welcome, but unexpected surprise. Probably because they were a bit older and a bit more rural in their own upbringing, they were not great believers in the new technologies that were changing the world, preferring to rely on what they knew and trusted. From an early age Lars was involved in helping on the farm and spent many happy hours fishing with his father and hunting with his mother in the woods and streams that surrounded their little farm. Their attitudes and beliefs inevitably rubbed off on their son, who shied away from accepting even standard implants or enhancements, preferring to work and train to be the best that he could be without them. He found the sense of self knowledge that he attained from this to be deeply satisfying.

He completed his education at the local community college and settled into helping his now aging parents run the farm. A week after his twentieth birthday he received a letter calling him up in the draft.

He met his wife to be during his period of national service. Born in Stockholm to a wealthy, academic single mother, she was the cream of the crop, pushed to the point of perfection. Initially they were great rivals, but whilst she could outrun and outthink him, she could not outshoot or outfight him. He infuriated and intrigued her by turns and she had the most beautiful eyes and smile he had ever seen. Perhaps more importantly it made them both question a lot of things they had taken for granted. They learned a lot of from the friendship that blossomed from their initial rivalry.

They were married a year later in 2080. They both compromised; Lars helped his parents sell up and they bought a less isolated, but smaller farm closer to Stockholm, but still close to the woods. Her mother retired early and came to join the family group. Lars made a living on the land and in the woods and his wife in the university in City as an academic like her mother before her.

When the opportunity came up for her to take a trip to the Brazilian rainforest, to study the rare orchids, Lars was only to happy to agree to accompany her. It was on that trip that his wife broke to him the happy surprise of her pregnancy, which she had delayed with his agreement to further her career. Lars never got to meet his son. He was out in the forest, checking the path ahead and returned to camp to find it burnt, scorched and everyone dead, including his wife. It was whilst he was still in the jungle that he killed his first alien with a single, clean shot to it's centre of mass.

It took Lars several weeks to hike back out of the rainforest, killing aliens whenever he got the chance, and he emerged into a world at war and in utter chaos. He managed to make contact with a squad of American Marines and volunteered to act as a marksman for them. The commanding officer of the regiment refused his offer, but the squad he had made contact with, having seen him in action, simply allowed him to tag along with them and drew extra equipment and supplies from the quartermaster. In the chaos of war a blind eye was turned, especially when the quiet Swede proved to be a capable soldier and skilled marksman.

So he remained on the front line and as the war progressed, he was eventually posted to an International Volunteer Regiment working with the Marines and formally reinducted into the armed forces with the rank of Corporal. He refused to accept even a campaign medal or promotion and remained fighting his own quiet, lone war one shot at a time until the last alien left Earth.

He has volunteered for this new mission not out curiosity or a sense of vengeance, but because somebody with a calm head and touch of cold blood in their veins is going be needed to watch over the representatives of humanity and dispense death to protect them, and it might as well be him.

Other Info: His personal equipment includes both a bolt action and semi automatic marksman rifles and scopes, although he will generally only carry one, depending on his assessment of the upcoming mission. He also carries a standard issue bayonet, smoke, fragmentation and incendiary grenades and a semi automatic pistol. His firearms are all tailored to his personal requirements and preferences and whilst they seem a little anachronistic and behind the times, they are still lethally effective.

His ghillie suit is capable of shifting between preset camouflage patterns and concealing his heat and bio-electrical signatures when he is at rest. Moving rapidly for an extended period of time is more than it can handle though. It is atmospherically sealed to mask his scent. It's also quite heavy and not particularly comfortable if you're not used to wearing it and get the support webbing wrong.

He wears a biometric weapons lock built into his wrist watch. His guns won't work for anyone else.  Although in an emergency he knows how to override the lock manually.
He carries a rather bulky and old fashioned bioscanner that can sweep the surrounding area for life signs or complex mechanical signatures like drones or explosive devices. It is heavy and rather shorter ranged than the newer models, but makes up for that in robustness, accuracy and reliability.

He still wears his wedding ring and is likely to refer to himself as married, at least to start with.

Face Claim: Daniel Craig

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on August 25, 2016, 05:40:20 AM
[bhttps://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=39648][/b][/spoiler]

[url=http://Paste link here][bhttps://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=39648][/b][/url][/spoiler]

When I said "Paste link here" I meant replace the words "paste link here" with the link...?

[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=39648][b]Link to player Ons / Offs page[/b][/url]

Hazy Sky

Whoops. Got my paste the wrong side of a bracket thing there... That should fix it.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: skyre on August 25, 2016, 03:34:42 PM
Whoops. Got my paste the wrong side of a bracket thing there... That should fix it.

Nope... You might want to try clicking your hyperlinks to see if they work? (That goes for everyone!)

Just replace the code you have with the code in the second "code box" in my post above. That's why I put it there!

Hazy Sky

Definitely fixed and working now. Sorry about that...

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

No worries. You are not the first and won't be the last... Which is why I said it applies to everyone.

Click the preview button, and test links, check formatting, etc...

And yes, I know I'm as guilty of not testing stuff as everyone else!

Hazy Sky

Honestly I did... Only I was a bottle of beer up and half asleep... Fail. 

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

So, are we all raring to go?

I will be opening threads this weekend in the following sequence:

Approved Characters - This is where I will post all the character sheets to keep them all together in one place, with a nice little index at the top. NPC characters will also find their way in here somehow...

OOC Thread - This will be the place to chat, to post stuff that is possibly irrelevant, but also, to discuss what is going on in the game, to ask the GM specific questions, to negotiate relationships between characters, etc... Note that I actively discourage "permanent pairing up" in my group games.

Technology Thread - This is going to be a special thread for recording the future-tech stuff that we invent to make the game work. Most of it I will do, but other players are welcome to offer suggestions for devices as well. There will be a "Device Sheet", similar to a character sheet, to fill in and submit to me for approval.  Note that I am not going to approve teleportation devices, mind control devices or ridiculous devices!

IC thread - This is where the game will play out. The game will start with everyone aboard the ship, which is in Low Earth Orbit, within the Planetary Shields (Something of a recent  development) awaiting clearance to depart. My opening post will have us begin to run the blockade.

.... Yes, I'm kind-of breaking a rule of my own here. I have a rule that states, In any group game where you want the characters to arrive at a place, start the game with them at that place. I am so so tempted to start the game with the ship dropping out of hyperspace at their first port of call, but it would mean skipping an entire and important scene... A small scene, but an important one! (*Looks at Becky significantly*).

So I'm trusting everyone to go along with the LEO start-point. There will be no "meet and greet" scene, because those are fatal!

jeflint

As the occasional GM and oft times player I'm well aware of how often intro's kill a group. I prefer to organically introduce most players but I've had some just absolutely refuse to meet others until they met in the seedy tavern/bar. I'm not one of those players. I prefer to be introduced to my fellow players from behind bars. :P

Anyway... How long, canonically, will we have been on ship? Couple hours, couple of days?

Doing it this way gives us enough time to know the characters names and jobs, maybe get settled in but we won't know everything about a character. That probably won't come up until shore leave. I've had buddies on subs and they say there are no secrets in a sub. I'd imagine a ship's pretty similar. Since we can't go out and interact with people just willy nilly we're going to really know one another.

Chrystal

Heh. Behind bars... good one!

I'll probably flesh this out better when I get the OOC thread up later this weekend (three-day weekend here btw, we have Monday off), but I would imagine the sequence of events to be something like:

Arrive at the base by whatever means - most likely a naval base as these were not attacked.
Briefing in a briefing room.
Taken down to the submarine pens where the ship is
Board the ship get strapped in, launch the ship. (underwater)
Ship breaks the surface and takes off, gets to LEO.
Maybe a half-hour delay between getting to orbit and the shield being opened to let the ship out.

So they've probably been aboard maybe an couple of hours and met each other for the first time an hour before that?

And aboard a space ship is the same as aboard a submarine!

jeflint

That's kinda what I figured. I watched Spaceship Yamamoto! :P

I know the ships as big as we want, but is there going to be like a generic deck plan? Like forward is the ships dorms aft is the mess sorta thing?

I also used up all I know about ships right there. :P So Amilya will probably honestly be like "You vant me to go vhere? Left or right? Argh! Speak English!"

Hazy Sky

Yep. I'm raring to go.

Hmm... Lars is probably going to be fussing over his guns or trying to scrounge for food. He has a one track mind about those sorts of things. ::)

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Chrystal

Quote from: jeflint on August 26, 2016, 05:01:41 AM
That's kinda what I figured. I watched Spaceship Yamamoto! :P

Not seen it.

QuoteI know the ships as big as we want, but is there going to be like a generic deck plan? Like forward is the ships dorms aft is the mess sorta thing?

I'll work on one, but I'm not promising anything. It will likely take me an entire day to do something I'm happy with, involving twenty or thirty false starts. And I'm sure everyone would rather I spent my time getting the game running...?

QuoteI also used up all I know about ships right there. :P So Amilya will probably honestly be like "You vant me to go vhere? Left or right? Argh! Speak English!"

Port is left, Starboard is right. Except on a space ship you navigate in three dimentions, X, Y, and Z. Fun times ahead for our pilot!

eiselmann

Port is left, Starboard is right. Except on a space ship you navigate in three dimentions, X, Y, and Z. Fun times ahead for our pilot!

Ah yes the XYZ of flying

Comprised of moments of Xtreme, followed by moments of  'Y did you do that?' in between long periods of nothing happening  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Looking forward to it :-)

My ons and offs link

Chrystal

Sorry, folks, I totally missed this discussion...

Quote from: jeflint on August 22, 2016, 09:50:48 AM

Quote from: Kythia on August 22, 2016, 12:53:40 PM
Funnily enough, the official position of the Catholic Church is that aliens probably do exist and are probably hostile.

In the current day: parts of Germany are Catholic, parts are Lutheran.  Not sure where or how it's trending though.

Quote from: eiselmann on August 22, 2016, 03:31:47 PM
For many there would be a crisis of faith , this would be especially true for Catholics with not just the loss of the pope but also in the fact that he killed himself.....if the Vatican were able to elect a new pope as they normally would ,that might be able to retain the bulk of their followers but this is unlikely to happen in a world under attack. More likely the church will shatter and the various parts of itself will be less than the whole was.

For others ,the aliens will be proof of God , they will be sent by God to punish humans for straying from the truth.

Expect all faiths to lose numbers (thou they will also gain new converts as well) expect those that remain to be more zealous than ever before

The generally accepted belief amongst all major religions is that mankind is unique in the eyes of whatever god they believe in. We are created by god to serve god. The existence of extra-terrestrial intelligence throws the whole point of Christianity into doubt: Mankind is born into original sin and is unable to earn god's forgiveness, thus god sent his only son as payment for our sins, and those who believe in him will inherit eternal life.

If there are aliens then are they born in original sin too? Are they in need of god's forgiveness? Did Jesus die for them? It is far easier to simply say, "Nope, no aliens!"

My entry in the history states "The news that Mankind is not alone in the universe shakes the world. The Pope commits suicide. There are mass riots and religious uprisings."

That is a very shorthand way of saying "Massive turmoil"! I know the evangelical Christian view on Aliens. I think that the Catholic view amongst devout believers is likely to be similar. The pope killed himself because with undeniable proof that aliens do exist, something he had always denied, his entire faith is shattered, he realises he's been living a lie his entire life and can see no point in living!

I would imagine that most mainstream religions would suffer greatly, but obviously the kooky fringe religions would multiply!

And with the arrival on Earth of the invaders, there would of course be those who would worship them, those who would want to preach to them and convert them, and those who would want to "cast them out by faith"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJAVFZxNgAA&list=RDyJAVFZxNgAA

Kythia

I've never really liked the Catholic view. They believe aliens probably exist but the incarnation was a unique event to earth, meaning aliens either had their own, separate, act of atonement or dint have a chance at salvation.  I don't see why God would have created aliens only to deny them a chance at salvation. But men, this is literally the first time the Catholic position on aliens has affected my life so I tend not to worry about it too much.

Chrystal

The OOC Thread is now officially open for business. Link is in the OP of this thread.

There are a couple of "reserved posts" at the beginning of the thread that I may or may not decide to use in the future. Links to all other threads will probably appear in one of them once the other threads are open... Right now I can't think of anything else that needs to go at the start of the OOC thread, but if I do I will put it there. If anyone else has anything they think needs to go in a reserved post, please let me know?

The ship's details will go in the Technology thread. I may or may not add a deck plan, depending...

Dashenka

Just a very early heads up..

I'll start a training course for the next three months on tuesday, wednesday and thursday, so I might post (even) less than I normally do..

And the weekend of the 11th I'll be in the North, watching my girlfriend to the Great North Run. Now I have been told it's a rather civilized city with internet and all that, but just in case they won't... Don't be alarmed

*looks at Kythia and ducks*

Chrystal

Thanks for letting us know... assumimng I approve your character... *snigger*

Oh in other news, the IC thread is UP!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=255192.0

Dashenka

You will... once I editededited her.. which I will soon

Dashenka

Name: Rory Styles

Player ID: Dashenka

Position: Engineer

Height: 5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
Weight: 54 kg or 119 pounds
Hair Colour: See Picture
Eye Colour: See Picture
Build: See Picture

Modifications: None
Distinguishing marks: Small nosering and Dreads and her glasses

More Images

Sexuality: Bisexual

Skills: Can handle stress, technical background and degree, very smart and intelligent and has full understanding of the ship.
Weaknesses: Getting up in the morning, Very limited fighting skills, Naive, A little world weary, Very bad eyesight without her glasses.

Dislikes: Butch girls, cats, simpletons

Personality: Rory is a bright, intelligent person. She is well liked and open to anybody although her people skills are not as good as she might want. She usually talks first and then thinks and even if she doesn't say something, you can usually see how she feels about things by her body language.

Because she never had any friends at young age to play with, like normal kids would, she can be seen as a little socially awkward. She is not shy, just clumsy with words.

Her house, even at this age, is full of posters and scale models of all kinds of space ships and blueprints of her own created fantasy ships.

Despite all the geekness, Rory loves to help her parents with what she calls 'menial tasks' like groceries or the organising of garden parties. When the parties began though and all the prying eyes looked at her and people asked her about her nose ring and dreads, she fled back to her room.

Even in the air force, she had been a bit of a loner to outsiders but to the people she knew and liked, she had learned to open up, especially after the big attacks. She just needed people to talk to and her parents were too thankful she was still alive to talk about it.

History: When Rory was three, the aliens were first discovered and ten years later, when the human race finally broke the light barrier, Rory was already properly excited about space travel. Not the fighting and colonising part, but the exploring and most of all, the technique behind the space ships. She was making drawings of spaceships and designed them in her spare time when she grew older. At school Rory only really excelled in the 'nerdy' subjects like chemistry and physics and even in her spare time, at the cost of social stuff, Rory continued to think and design her own little amateur space ships. When she turned 18, she applied for the military, not as a fighter role but as an engineer and she soon saw her dream come true when she was accepted into the air force and she finally saw a space ship up close.

Her creativity and hands on approach to problems didn't go unnoticed and she continued to impress her superiours.

Eventually she was ready with her training and as something of a final test was told to accompany a new piece of equipment she helped design on a mission.

She was excited about finally going to leave earth and with her parents and all of her two friends watching live, the ship nearly burned up in the atmosphere. There had been a critical malfuction of some of the aging ship's system and with Rory's quick thinking and a skilled crew and captain, the ship crash landed relatively safe into the ocean, with only minor injuries to the crew.
The captain of the vessel praised her knowledge and understanding of the systems and asked mission command if he could get her again on the next mission. He also let her know that he had put her, along with the rest of the crew, up for a decoration.

This mission would never come.

The night of the attacks, Rory was on base. She had just finished her shift and was on her way to the bunks. Initially her reaction was to run and hide but if these were aliens, they would probably find her and if they were hostile, God knows what they would do to her. If they came firing at earth, they weren't very friendly anyway. Quickly she made her way to the armory where she was given a gun. Luckily for her and the people around her, she never had to fire it.

The base was lost, it was a primary target and was soon evacuated. Casualties were plentiful and Rory's luck was that she had been in the technology lab and not in the bunks or armory. Most of the ships and the base had been destroyed and as the lights of the base faded in the distance, Rory couldn't help thinking about the consequences of this event. She knew the prototype and experimental ships were kept at another base but if that one had been hit as hard as this, all her hopes of ever going to space were lost.

Two years later, Rory had just turned 21, she was called to a meeting with some high ranked people in the air force. The war had turned ugly and human kind didn't look good. It was no longer a war or countries but more that of species. A large chunk of the earth was already uninhabitable because of the nuclear weapons and more and more governments fell. The outlooks were grim.

She was briefed just like this, but then was told she was chosen to go on a mission that could change the tides of war into human advantage. Rory accepted the Pollux mission as an engineer.

Other Info: -

Face Claim: Tatiana Maslany, Cosima

Kythia

Quote from: Dashenka on August 28, 2016, 02:31:24 PM
Just a very early heads up..

I'll start a training course for the next three months on tuesday, wednesday and thursday, so I might post (even) less than I normally do..

And the weekend of the 11th I'll be in the North, watching my girlfriend to the Great North Run. Now I have been told it's a rather civilized city with internet and all that, but just in case they won't... Don't be alarmed

*looks at Kythia and ducks*

I'm doing the Great North Run as well!

Panduhmoanium

Hey everyone! Been reading into your RP here, and I'm pretty well interested in the story. You guys/gals wouldn't happen to be looking to pick up a guard by any chance would y'all?

Chrystal

If you send me a character sheet, I'll give it due consideration. :)

Panduhmoanium

Sounds good! Once I get back from work today I'll get it to you. :Do