What will you never play again?

Started by Inkidu, August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: LunarSage on April 10, 2012, 04:12:02 PM
Yeah I didn't get that comment either...

It's the Condescending Willy Wonka meme, used when someone says something that just comes across as noobish. Like someone in a gaming forum remarking at how multiplayer focused games are getting.

Other classy uses of Condescending Wonka include remarking on racist illiterate idiots in the Youtube comments, and asking for torrents in a PC tech support forum.

Craz

MLB 2K12.

Because I like sports games. I really do, for some reason. Not enough to buy them yearly or anything, but I really enjoy them. And since the undisputed king of baseball games right now is a PS3 only deal, I decided to give 2k12 a shot. Oh, screw that shitty console port. I used my one-time Steam refund for that, I hated it so much.

Erato

Mass Effect 3 for it's horrible horrible ending.

*Tear* I love you Garrus.
In the game of chess the Queen protects the King.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Aftiel on April 10, 2012, 03:23:20 PM
Armored Core V... total piece of unbalanced crap, Seriously i thoguht it was great fun at first, but the story was mediocer and stupid, the missions are designed for 2 people, and if you don't play online (i can't due to crappy internets) you're missing out on 99% of the content.

I agree, I wont be playing any new Armored Core game.  And for that matter, most mech games.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

TheGlyphstone

I still consider Mechwarrior 2 to be the pinnacle of the Battletech/Mech-related PC game genre.

Sasquatch421

Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo.... Man I broke a few controllers trying to play this. Then they made Zeonic Front and I was happy again.

Sabby

Dark Souls.

And not even because of the difficulty. I really couldn't care... I survived Ninja Gaiden, I can survive Dark Souls... if it weren't a sloppy piece of laggy shit with it's design ethics dragged right out of the NES era. Seriously, if you need a wikipedia next to you at all times to even make progress, what incentive is there for me to actually try on my own? There's no sense of accomplishment whatsoever, it's just obscure, slow and punishes you for trying to play.

But bring up it's flaws and your automatically written off as a wimp who needs constant tutorials and explosions to get by. Typical.

Bayushi

Dark Souls.

What?

I've never played it. But since I do not own a console, I can not currently play it.

Yes, it is being ported to PC, but it is being ported to PC using the Games For Windows Live platform, which will not be installed on my PC, ever.

Yes, Microsoft, this is me telling you to go fuck yourselves with GFW Live.

Bayushi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on April 13, 2012, 02:05:37 PMI still consider Mechwarrior 2 to be the pinnacle of the Battletech/Mech-related PC game genre.
As much as I nostalgia-squee over Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 4 was by far the superior game.

At least in my experience.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Akiko on April 13, 2012, 05:07:40 PM
As much as I nostalgia-squee over Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 4 was by far the superior game.

At least in my experience.

I never played MW4, so I can't dispute that due to lack of evidence. But then again, I only ever played MW2: Mercs, not the actual MW2.

"Good morning! How does it feel to be strapped into a walking nuke-reactor at 9 AM?" Sergeant Unther was the best.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on April 13, 2012, 02:32:52 PM
Dark Souls.

And not even because of the difficulty. I really couldn't care... I survived Ninja Gaiden, I can survive Dark Souls... if it weren't a sloppy piece of laggy shit with it's design ethics dragged right out of the NES era. Seriously, if you need a wikipedia next to you at all times to even make progress, what incentive is there for me to actually try on my own? There's no sense of accomplishment whatsoever, it's just obscure, slow and punishes you for trying to play.

But bring up it's flaws and your automatically written off as a wimp who needs constant tutorials and explosions to get by. Typical.

I take it you hated the original Castlevania as well then?

Sabby

I respect it, but it's from a completely different generation of consoles... it literally co-wrote the book on game design, but if that doesn't mean it holds up today. SOTN is great, but anyone who thinks the original Castlevania is something to favourably compare game design to has reverence clouding their judgement.

Shjade

Quote from: Sabby on April 14, 2012, 12:07:43 PM
SOTN is great, but anyone who thinks the original Castlevania is something to favourably compare game design to has reverence clouding their judgement.

I thought you were familiar with [noembed]Egoraptor...[/noembed]
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Sabby

Was I saying Castlevania was bad? xD No. It's a great example of game design. For it's time. Considering it's competition, it's great. But it does not hold up. And that's not a discredit. Not a lot could still hold up after such a long time. Frankly, defending a modern game by comparing it to the original Castlevania is like telling the motorist next to you at the fuel station that they just don't understand, as you crank the winch on the bonnet of your automobile to make it go.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on April 14, 2012, 01:29:42 PM
Was I saying Castlevania was bad? xD No. It's a great example of game design. For it's time. Considering it's competition, it's great. But it does not hold up. And that's not a discredit. Not a lot could still hold up after such a long time. Frankly, defending a modern game by comparing it to the original Castlevania is like telling the motorist next to you at the fuel station that they just don't understand, as you crank the winch on thte bonnet of your automobile to make it go.
To whit, remember that even Egoraptor said that Castlevania was linear, remember, and Dark Souls is most certainly not. Dark Souls has a structure more akin to Legend of Zelda, that is an open world with a fairly predefined order of areas to beat. Dark Souls did need more direction. Even if it was some kind of scrawling. You can say that that was what the multiplayer aspect was for, but then they shouldn't have bothered with a single player aspect if that was the case.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Yeah, and maybe they could have made the controls a little tighter, and not hounded you with the constant need to grind for the privilege to start over (Curse, I'm looking at you) and the horrific lag, and the cheap encounters that count on you dying the first time because you weren't signed in to have the cheap shot foreshadowed. For a game where a delayed or bad reaction = instant death, you can't have the framerate constantly chug, poor hit detection, and button lag.

Yes, I got those last two constantly -.- things like waiting for a spear guy to move his shield away, and when you strike his shield will either automatically appear to block, or the move will just register as a block without the animation. And then there's all the times my character would throw his spear forward and leave himself open, instead of doing the lunge jumping strike.

You just cannot afford this kind of shit in a game like this.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sabby on April 14, 2012, 01:29:42 PM
Was I saying Castlevania was bad? xD No. It's a great example of game design. For it's time. Considering it's competition, it's great. But it does not hold up. And that's not a discredit. Not a lot could still hold up after such a long time. Frankly, defending a modern game by comparing it to the original Castlevania is like telling the motorist next to you at the fuel station that they just don't understand, as you crank the winch on the bonnet of your automobile to make it go.

Frankly you've missed the point.  I'm saying you're comparing a game to an era most want to see back in motion, a lot of gamers miss the game play and challenge from the older games.  Dark Souls did that as did Demon souls... but in a lesser extent.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on April 14, 2012, 02:54:41 PM
Frankly you've missed the point.  I'm saying you're comparing a game to an era most want to see back in motion, a lot of gamers miss the game play and challenge from the older games.  Dark Souls did that as did Demon souls... but in a lesser extent.
I don't think he has, just because it was an attempt to recapture some (defunct) elements from a bygone era of quarter-lust doesn't mean it was done well.

I remember playing Final Fantasy II (IV). The hardest version of which is the the modernized DS version, but that was done well.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Quote from: Inkidu on April 14, 2012, 03:18:59 PM
I don't think he has, just because it was an attempt to recapture some (defunct) elements from a bygone era of quarter-lust doesn't mean it was done well.

Thank you, that's exactly what I mean. My problems with the game were simply technical, with the exclusion of things like Curses and cheapness, but those became more of an annoyance because of the aforementioned lag and control issues.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on April 14, 2012, 03:43:34 PM
Thank you, that's exactly what I mean. My problems with the game were simply technical, with the exclusion of things like Curses and cheapness, but those became more of an annoyance because of the aforementioned lag and control issues.
Also, in point of fact Dark Souls has more to do with Castlevania 2 than it does Castlevania.

Lack of direction and ambiguous? Check.
Endless grinding for an item you need to buy some other items. Check.

Sure it's hard, but that's hardly enough.

Driskoll

Quote from: porcelainblue on April 13, 2012, 12:03:02 PM
Mass Effect 3 for it's horrible horrible ending.

*Tear* I love you Garrus.

Yeah, me neither. It's a shame really since up to that point the game is fantastic. I don't hold out much hope for the Extended Cut dlc either, since it sounds like it's just going to be a longer ending cutscene without fixing any of the problems people really have. I'm sad to say it but the ending even kinda ruins ME1 and 2 for me as well. 

As Day Fades

Quote from: Inkidu on August 25, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
I want to know what video games you regret buying, owning, renting, and/or playing. You literally wish you could scrub your brain clean of the instance.

Myself:

Final Fantasy XII, I hate that I even anticipated that game.
Sadness! I see this opinion way too much. XII was one of my favorites(and I know I'm the rarity in that). It's not without its flaws, but I think that, like XIII, it challenged/reinvented a lot of what people think Final Fantasy, and even roleplaying games in general are 'supposed to be,' and got flak for that.

Final Fantasy XI
Summoner 2
Two worst games I've ever played. In the case of Summoner 2 I actually played it to completion because the original, Summoner, was one of those games with a ton of potential but extremely mediocre execution; with the sequel I was aghast with how bad it was, and just how bad it could get, so in a way I was compelled to see it through. FFXI takes the cake for 'worst game ever' for me though, with its pedigree being the deciding factor. Everything about that game was a punishment, or a chore. Or uneventful. Or anticlimactic. Or lacking creative flavor. And, for the life of me, I couldn't find much of a 'story' anywhere. The only thing I liked was being able to dual class, though I rarely got to enjoy my wicked Red Mage/Bard hybrid because the class types were so egregiously unbalanced that the vast majority of the time I was called upon to be the main(and usually only) healer. -_- I was designed to be a support class, and only back up/spot healer.

Aftiel

Another one I deeply regret buying is Rift, it was very fun early on, when you're experimenting, but you soon learn that the game is just like wow... with a fancy class system, then the boredom sets in, the combat system is basic, every one essentially does the same thing even with different classes and different souls in the classes, don't get me wrong they do great things, add content all the time, actually listen to consumers, I just wish the game had tried to be its own game, instead of WoW with portals.
I was such an edgelord a decade ago LOL.

Jonathan White

I could write a small novella on what I will never play again. I'm just going to focus on the most recent, though:

Bulletstorm is a game that is supposed to be the classic fun of retro first person shooters pushed through the filter of modern gaming development (to paraphrase the dude who does Zero Punctuation). The problem is that I find the game unable to make up its mind as to what it wants to be. Is it a comedic romp with some jerks in space or is it serious with betrayal, tragedy, and actual character development? Is it a game that is like modern cover shooters of today or is it trying to be like People Can Fly's previous magnum opus Painkiller? The game, for me, tries to please everyone and isn't good enough to carry the game with that choice. Sure, I might be tearing goons in half with a quadruple barreled shotgun, but then it tries to be like a movie and foists quick time events randomly into gameplay (there's a mechanic where you literally have to press and hold down a button to look at an event happening in the world for points to buy ammo and weapons. Where are those points coming from, Bulletstorm? Is it an attention bonus?)

In short, I'd rather they'd just make another Painkiller (not those awful sequels, mind you) and put the point system into that. That would have been a great game. The plot can be a series of episodes on some futuristic game show.

Next time: My five part rant about Multiplayer Online Battle Arenas and how these games make me despise not only other players, but the community and a healthy portion of humanity itself.
Posting Speed: Turtle. Will post ASAP, though.

SinXAzgard21

Final Fantasy II,III,V,X,XI,XII......  I've tried starting them up and got bored looking at the title screen.  I'm not going to get into a debate over this.  I'm not saying they are horrible, just in my book I'm retiring them.