Interest Check - Higher Ed Magic (NC-Ex or lower)

Started by Vandren, August 21, 2008, 02:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandren

I'm looking to re-vamp and restart my old Sorcery University game ( https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=71.0 ) here.  To do so, I have three options in mind and open to see if there's enough interest in at least one of them:

1) ThaumEarth - Earth is rife with magic and people know about magicians.  Some fear them, others embrace them.  Enchantment has been around, but mass produced magic items only started coming out in the 1960s.  Non-Humans also run around.  Bloise College, near the small town Portsmouth, is one of the premiere private institutions of higher education catering to the magical community in the U.S.  It ranks high in the standings against mundane colleges as well, although it is significantly more dangerous as alchemical experiments have a tendency to explode, bio-thuamaturgy experiments sometimes break out and run amok on campus, and don't even ask about the demonology department.  (Students aged 18-22; faculty 28+; races limited only by Earth folklore/legend)

2) Sanctum - Sanctum is a place where sorcerers can learn their art in relative safety.  It is located in the southern mountains of the continent Aerthal in a land that will later be called Kysen (about 100-200 years after the current time).  Due to the Era of Sorcery (in which sorcerers literally ruled the world and warped reality), sorcerers are still feared and persecuted in the north, east, and west, but positive views hold sway in the south.  The Sanctum itself is a castle hidden in the mountains, in fact built into the side of a mountain itself.  Of course, as it is the center of the continent's sorcerous community, the school is also the center of sorcerous politics and all sorts of other issues.  (Apprentices aged 16-22 divided into one of seven orders; teaching masters 25+; races limited to Human, Dwarf, Giant, Goblin, Vampire, Werebeast, Ulloren, and half-breeds)

3) The Academy of Sorcery, Komar - Set on the edge of the City of Paradise (Komar), the Academy is technically a closed campus to protect tee mundanes (of course students sneak out regularly).  The Academy has a reputation around the northern cities and southern kingdoms for its work in body control, illusion, and metamorphic sorcery.  They are especially well known for their creation of new species.  The school also maintains a close relationship with the city's Courtesans', Entertainers' and Thespians' Guilds.  All sorts of unusual things are said to happen within the Academy's walls, not to mention the goings on when apprentices sneak out for a night on the town.  (Apprentices starting age 16-18  divided into one of seven orders, max age 24; masters 23+; same world as Sanctum, different continent; races limited to Human, Dwarf, Giant, Goblin, Cynocephali, Vampire, Werebeast, and certain half-breeds)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Josietta

*Raises hand* I'm interested!   What time frame is the first one? Modern day?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Jefepato

I'd be interested in option 1.  Not yet sure what sort of character, though.

SecreT

A school of magic with were-beast allowed? I'm so in.
O&O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19326.0
All thoughts, all passions, all delights,
Whatever stirs this mortal frame,
All are but ministers of Love,
And feed his sacred flame.

Vandren

Cool, that makes four total so far for option number one.

Josietta - Yep, ThaumEarth is modern day.

There's a fair amount of info in the Sorcery University board linked below, but most of it is just reference.  Probably the important part is the world history section.  The rest can just be skimmed or skipped for the time being.  I'm happy to allow any race, so long as it comes from some sort of Earth legend, mythology, or folklore (so, for instance, Kzin or Drow are out :) ).  I should probably add that there is some IOU inspiration coming in as well as a few score other things.  I've got a campus map, but haven't yet posted it, not that it really matters too much.

Oh, and section'll be Non-Con Exotic -> Big Games, where the board is currently located.

Give me until the weekend to get things really going (just moved and everything), I'm happy to start out with four.
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Vandren

Everyone who has expressed interest can go ahead and chat away in the board OOC thread, if you like.

The board - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=71.0
OOC Thread - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19884.0