Things That Did or Did Not Need a Sequel/Precursor

Started by Inkidu, August 03, 2010, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endorphin

I would have been pretty content if they stuck with Aliens, Species, Highlander, Terminator 2 and Basic Instinct (though, admittedly, I do have a bit of a thing for Sharon Stone in that role. :P )
"The imagination is the spur of delights... all depends upon it, it is the mainspring of everything; now, is it not by means of the imagination one knows joy? Is it not of the imagination that the sharpest pleasures arise?" - Marquis de Sade

Oniya

Quote from: Host of Seraphim on August 04, 2010, 07:34:16 PM
Almost all of the classic Disney movies. Way to taint my pleasant childhood memories of them by crapping out straight-to-video sequels just to make some extra dough.  :-(

+9000
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Wolfy

Though..I have to admit..Tim Curry as an Evil Singing Gate in Beauty and the Beast wasn't bad...the whole premise was, but he wasn't. o3o

Host of Seraphim

Oh yeah, I remember that! You mean the organ from the Beauty and the Beast Christmas movie? He was the only part I liked.
Tentatively trying to get back into RPing...

:: O/O :: A/A (updated 3/2 -- please read) ::

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

eatyouangie

Avatar should not get a sequel. I am Legend - theu should just leave it alone.

Anyone think The Boondock Saints needed a sequel? It was an alright movie but I thought it was un-needed

Plenty of Disney movies have bad sequels.

Inkidu

Quote from: akalasEDGE on August 04, 2010, 07:11:55 PM
...If you mean Avatar as in "blue cat people," there's one coming. It probably won't take as long as the last one, though.
But if you mean Avatar the cartoon, there's a sequel series coming, involving the next Avatar after Aang. (I'm hoping that Aang is as crazy awesome as Bumi was in Last Airbender... or that Zuko turns into the new Iroh. <3 UNCLE IROH)

...But! For things that don't need sequels... Saw 3? 3 of those movies was enough for me; i haven't seen any since.

Another would be Firefly, actually. I know, strike me down with lightning and various blunt instruments, but a new Firefly series would never be as good as the original, I think. The reasons it is so popular are that it was awesome, and that it ended too soon, but if it started up again, it'd feel forced.
The blue cat people one. If it's the Nick show I usually throw on the subtitle The Last Airbender.

Now onto the, "NOOOOO!"
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Falanor

Quote from: eatyouangie on August 05, 2010, 12:08:16 AM
Avatar should not get a sequel. I am Legend - theu should just leave it alone.

Anyone think The Boondock Saints needed a sequel? It was an alright movie but I thought it was un-needed

Plenty of Disney movies have bad sequels.

Boondock Saints shouldn't have been made.  I would love to have seen a sequel as good as the original but Duffy blew it big time with the sequel.  Movie was terrible, and filled with utterly random scenes following the next.

Inkidu

Mortal Kombat didn't need one movie let alone two. Their brilliant awfulness is their saving factor.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Apparently Titanic 2 is going to be about...

A ship, named "Titanic 2" that sets sail 100 years after it's predecessor sank..

and guess what? THEY HIT A MOTHER ****ING ICEBERG.

I wish I was kidding.

Titanic 2 The Asylum Version (2010) First Official Trailer HD

That's the official Trailer.

Yeah..unsurprisingly, it looks like ****. o-o

Inkidu

*Head-desk, Head-desk, Head-Desk* Despite anyone's jadedness might tell them no one is stupid e-freaking-nough to try and repeat the flipping Titanic. How does anyone out of a B-list horror flick fall for that? "Hah ha! Plucky first-make. I don't see why you worry everyone knows that there are no famous ships in Earth's history who've been sunk by icebergs, why icebergs are just a myth. Like Jason!"

Wolfy

It's just..hilarious how bad this movie is going to be...And it's not going to be bad in a good way, like Rocky Horror..it's just going to be pure excrement. o-o

Red Baron

Did not need any MORE sequels: Terminator and Robobcop. Both should have stopped at number 2, because Terminator 1 and 2 and Robocop 1 and 2 are all awesome movies. Number 3 though...shit for both of them. Way to ruin Terminator 2's message of hope and fighting fate.

Needed a sequel: The Super Mario Brothers movie. Yeah, that's right, the live action one with Bob Hoskins as Mario. It was a awesome movie (and I mean that, I love that thing) and totally set itself up perfectly. Big villain for the sequel? That Scapelli character who got turned into a monkey, only he manages to "evolve" into a larger monkey with more intelligence. Putting on his best tie he seeks revenge with his mafia ties and throwing barrels.

HOLLYWOOD I WILL WRIGHT THE SCRIPT FOR FREE! CALL ME!

mieko

What I like about the highlander movies...is somehow in the thrid movie they seem to have ignored everything in the second one as though it never happened lol. That's what you get I suppose for rushing to make a sequel hoping it will be as successful as the first.

And then there was The Neverending Story 2....the first one was neverending enough ^^.

jouzinka

It can get worse with Neverending Story. They're planning a remake.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Oniya

Quote from: jouzinka on August 12, 2010, 02:09:01 PM
It can get worse with Neverending Story. They're planning a remake.

We could be lucky.  They could go back to the source material.  (I have it upstairs.  The original movie only got halfway through the book.)

jouzinka

I know, but honestly... I don't think it's gonna happen. Look how they butchered Clash of the Titans - to me it seems that Hollywood thinks that better CGI does the trick and they totally don't even try any story-telling. :(

Aiden

Inkidu

Quote from: jouzinka on August 12, 2010, 02:51:23 PM
I know, but honestly... I don't think it's gonna happen. Look how they butchered Clash of the Titans - to me it seems that Hollywood thinks that better CGI does the trick and they totally don't even try any story-telling. :(
The original wasn't that great. "Hey I read my seventh grade Greek gods and goddesses book. Lets make a movie loosely based on a hodgepodge of Greek myth."

Freaking mechanical owl... *Grumble grumble*

mieko

I still remember the version of Clash of the Titans with Harry Hamlin...looking back that was just Gosh awful -_-....

And  on the subject of remakes, I still prefer the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. ^^ That Veruca Salt was just plain nasty. And the new Mike Teevee has nothing on the old one.

But since this is supposed to be about sequels...

Speed 2...I don't know what they were thinking. You lose Keanu Reeves you got nothing compared to the first one. There was no chemistry at all in the second.

jouzinka

Quote from: Inkidu on August 12, 2010, 04:38:28 PM
The original wasn't that great. "Hey I read my seventh grade Greek gods and goddesses book. Lets make a movie loosely based on a hodgepodge of Greek myth."

Freaking mechanical owl... *Grumble grumble*
I'll agree to disagree.

Oniya

Quote from: mieko on August 12, 2010, 04:42:46 PM
And  on the subject of remakes, I still prefer the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory with Gene Wilder. ^^ That Veruca Salt was just plain nasty. And the new Mike Teevee has nothing on the old one.

People still walk up to Gene Wilder, say simply 'Yours was better,' and he knows exactly what they're talking about.

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on August 12, 2010, 06:27:29 PM
People still walk up to Gene Wilder, say simply 'Yours was better,' and he knows exactly what they're talking about.
Actually that Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has, in my opinion a better ending than the book.
In the book Charlie one just because he was a good kid. In the movie he had to show real character. That's one of the few time's I'll say a movie was better than the book.

Dune if the other one, for one reason.

mieko

QuotePeople still walk up to Gene Wilder, say simply 'Yours was better,' and he knows exactly what they're talking about.

I didn't know that ^^, But that's one of those movies I can watch over and over again any time it's on TV. That along with "A Christmas Story." Which came out at the same time as The original Star Wars. Meaning it never stood a chance in the box office.

Don't get me wrong I love Johnny Depp in most things but I think his take on Willy Wonka was a weeeee bit too creepy for my taste o.0

And since mentioning Star Wars...did anyone else think Chapter 2 should never have been done? That scene where Anakin is rolling down the hill with Padme laughing was not romantic in the least...it just looked plain stupid. Another couple which lacked any sort of chemistry in my opinion. Though even all the chemistry in the world couldn't have made that scene work o.0

Inkidu

Quote from: mieko on August 12, 2010, 06:48:28 PM
I didn't know that ^^, But that's one of those movies I can watch over and over again any time it's on TV. That along with "A Christmas Story." Which came out at the same time as The original Star Wars. Meaning it never stood a chance in the box office.

Don't get me wrong I love Johnny Depp in most things but I think his take on Willy Wonka was a weeeee bit too creepy for my taste o.0

And since mentioning Star Wars...did anyone else think Chapter 2 should never have been done? That scene where Anakin is rolling down the hill with Padme laughing was not romantic in the least...it just looked plain stupid. Another couple which lacked any sort of chemistry in my opinion. Though even all the chemistry in the world couldn't have made that scene work o.0
Honestly, if you think of all the stupid crap couples do that looks totally insipid to any outside view while you watch that scene you realize that that's a very well done scene. :)

Episode Two is my personal favorite of all the new ones. Grand Army of the Republic for the win!