News:

Main Menu

Healthy snacks?

Started by rosebud, September 18, 2010, 05:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosebud

My mom and I are good at planning out our main dishes, but not our snacks. We end up mostly going to things like popcorn or chips, but that only contributes to weight gain, especially since we get hungry at like 9 at night. What are some healthy snacks that you like to eat?
O/O's - This one includes a mini character profile, samples, ideas, etc.

Detailed O/O's - This one includes more of what I don't want in sex.

A/A's - Look at this thread if you haven't heard from me for a few days or so.

Saerrael

Jag

Peaches (fresh, not canned).
Any fresh fruit really, just enough to satisfy the craving, not to get full.
Carrot sticks.
Toast with a little sea salt on it and olive oil (not sure how healthy it is, but it's no worse than popcorn or chips and it tastes great, more so with some Nutella on it).
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Trieste

Grapes!  They are quick and easy (wash and eat) usually pretty cheap and only 5 calories per grape.

Wolfy

molly

I agree with the grapes! They're even better if you freeze them! Frozen grapes taste just like candy!

Trieste

oooh... and frozen blueberries, although they tend to be expensive. Mm.

Serephino

I like yogurt too.  Though if weight loss (or not gaining weight) is your goal, it's important to remember not to eat anything at all at least three hours before you go to bed.  You're not active when you're sleeping so it all gets stored as fat. 

I generally enjoy a small handful of peanuts or possibly a can of tuna. Both are relatively high in protein and have a good amount of good fat in them.

Star Safyre

Broth made from Bouillon cubes.  Depending on how much you make, it tastes like food but is pretty much just water and a bit of salt.  It can be surprisingly filling and super fast to make.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

WhiteDove

Celery! Its a negative calorie snack :)
FEATHERS & LACE
THE ON'S & OFF'S

Saerrael

Quote from: WhiteDove on September 19, 2010, 10:29:39 PM
Celery! Its a negative calorie snack :)

Good point. Add cucumber to that ;)

The Golden Touch

Cottage cheese, apples and peanut butter, granola bars, air popcorn with less butter and salt.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Serephino

Oh, I love those cottage cheese things with the fruit stuff to mix in.  I also add more than just salt and butter to my popcorn.  I usually use garlic salt and basil.  It's yummy!

Ket

Those cottage cheese things with fruit to mix in are loaded with sugar (not to mention in a container that isn't really recyclable). Cut up fresh fruit instead, or if you really like the way the pre-packaged stuff tastes, add a spoonful of no-sugar fruit preserves to plain cottage cheese.

I love a couple of spoonfuls of cottage cheese and fresh fruit topped with a spoonful of plain yogurt then drizzled with honey and wheat germ.
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Oniya

Cinnamon is also good on popcorn.  If you pop it yourself, either with a little 'good' oil (like olive oil) or air-popped, you can control the salt and fat content a lot better than if you use the nukeable stuff. 

Oatmeal is good for you (as long as you don't overdo the sugar), and very filling.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

LongN4

I've always liked plain yogurt with some honey stirred into it. Nice little combo of sweet and sour.
"Robin Hood has thou been stealing my valuables and giving them to the poor?"
"Yes"
"and you've stolen my girlfirend to?"
"Yes"
"and now your giving her to the poor?"
"YES!"
"Your giving her to the poor?"
"Yes, that is what I said!"

MariaRenard20

Oatmeal bars make for a great snack. But it's better to make your own since the commercial ones are expensive and aren't all that healthy, and you can put whatever you want in them. There's a ton of recipes online but they are all pretty much the same. They aren't hard to make, and only take about 30 mins.

Just substitute some of the sugar for fruit combinations or nuts. Bananas, apples, strawberries, pears, blueberries, and raspberries are all good choices and crushed almonds add a whole lot of flavor while still being healthy. If you don't mind cheating a little on the healthy stuff, make a batch with something sweet like peanut butter and chocolate chips. Oatmeal is high in fiber, so it's healthy for you no matter what you put in it.

Don't get those little packets of oatmeal that come with dried fruit already inside that you just add water to make. These are loaded with sugar. Steel-cut oatmeal is the most healthy out of the three types out there, but they take a very long time to bake and are usually expensive for a small batch. Plain old "Rolled oats" work best for bars, and you can get a giant tube of a generic/store brand for cheap.

Jell-O is another thing you can load up with different types of fruits for a healthy snack.

Some other stuff to think about is roasted seeds like sunflower or pumpkin (just be sure to get ones that are lightly or non salted).

You can make a few healthy versions of chips too. It's as easy as slicing them very thin, rubbing with olive oil, and popping them in a very hot oven for a few mins. Russet potatoes are great for potato chips, but stuff like sweet potatoes and beets are also great.

And if you're not allergic to peanut butter, it comes in handy when you get a sweet tooth craving. Just a spoonful or two does the trick to tone that hunger down. It's healthy for you too since it has protein and fiber. But it's also loaded with sugar, so don't get carried away. :-)

Oniya

Quote from: MariaRenard20 on September 23, 2010, 03:50:38 AM
And if you're not allergic to peanut butter, it comes in handy when you get a sweet tooth craving. Just a spoonful or two does the trick to tone that hunger down. It's healthy for you too since it has protein and fiber. But it's also loaded with sugar, so don't get carried away. :-)

Or, you can always buy unsalted peanuts and run them through a food processor with a tiny bit of oil.  (If you're industrious enough to make your own chips/crisps, you're industrious enough to make your own nut-butter.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Seara

Almonds are very satisfying and they have the good kind of fat.

Another thing I do to curb the late night craving is a full glass of water followed by a peice of gum.

mercury01

Quote from: Seara on September 23, 2010, 10:08:43 AM
Almonds are very satisfying and they have the good kind of fat.

Seconding this. I like fruit (dried or fresh) as a snack, but I always try to have some sort of protein with it, e.g. nuts. This has the benefit of stabilizing your metabolism so you don't just get an energy spike/dropoff. Veggies and hummus works too.

proxious

Caeli

I like almonds, or yogurt + granola.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

avorae

I usually go for fruit. It really doesn't matter what really. Apples, oranges, grapes, Pineapple. It's all good to me. (Though the pineapple can be a pain to peel late at night when your tired.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Oniya

Quote from: avorae on October 21, 2010, 09:46:03 AM
I usually go for fruit. It really doesn't matter what really. Apples, oranges, grapes, Pineapple. It's all good to me. (Though the pineapple can be a pain to peel late at night when your tired.

At that point, forget peeling and just slice it into circles and then cut into triangles.  Nibble down as far as you feel like.

You'll have to wash all the juice off your face, but hey, you were going to bed soon anyways!