-Pathfinder- “Finders Keepers” (Interest Check & Info)

Started by Sabriel, June 07, 2011, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabriel

Please keep both these things I have said in mind.

QuoteAll characters will require my OK to be apart of this and I will only select those players and characters I believe will contribute well to the story and work within it.

QuoteAll characters will need to fit the story and fit within the group without major conflicts, due to the nature of the setting certain types of characters would be a poor choice to play. Please take this into consideration when coming up with concepts. Also consider why you would actually be willing to answer the call to hunt down objects and perform tasks for some mysterious employer, there is really no point becoming involved if your character has no motivation for the tasks. This is a story for characters not quirky concepts or "cool" classes, anime pictures or things of such nature, make the character such things with there personality and the story. 

I will pick the best group of players, I will say no if I do not think you will fit within the story or I do not think your character fits in.  If there are two Sorcerers I will pick the best of those players and there character which fits the story, I will only be allowing 4-6 slots so doubling up on some classes may happen but It is something id recommend.  But if two of the best people for the group happen to be the same class I will accept them both over those who I think fit poorly.

Group first Characters second then me :P thats the order of importance so I am least important group is most characters are in the middle with the story, together we will make a juicy sandwich of the Scarred lands.    :-\

Make the characters you want within reason and don't go too crazy or stress out to much over discussing group tactics, Ive never in all my life of playing D&D or any other RP discussed character tactics before a game or really that much during other than IC.  I think that is possibly just because of my style of play and the groups Ive been with but well, I am not going to make the group suffer needlessly story will be first and well I am sure there be ample room in the group for most concepts.

Of course if you want to talk about them by all means do :P

Oh and Dragonrider is never really going to work well in Scarn, you may well in fact you will see a Dragon at some point in the story, but well it is likely the only one you will ever see alive. Dragons at least the ones most are familiar with don't really have much of a presence at all in Scarn. If Dragons are rare in most settings well in Scarn there like well there actually rare.

Isengrad

I thought as much. I once made a barbarian that I liked a lot. I think I will pull him off the shelf and dust him off... just to read up on the story a bit and see how i can make him work. Besides, any class that allows you to call any form of dragon into combat has the potential to unbalance a game.but meh, I'm a pern fan:P.

Thank you for letting me know about dragonriders.

original artwork by karabiner

Sabriel

Your welcome :)

They probably are unbalanced too :P

I will tease with the further fact that there will be one Dragon (A black one) in the story which all will be able to visit and see, and well at some point it will feature in the actual story in some way.

Although it is more sub plot that plot, but hey its a Dragon and you can visit it at the zoo!

Not joking either it is actually in a zoo (menagerie), and it is like the only known dragon in existence basically and its been there since it was an egg.

Probably one of the most noteworthy things about the city of Shelzar so not really a spoiler or anything.

NicciKotor

For a backstory, going with the classical wandering mage girl. Going to be from Bridge town and worshipping Tanil. Joining a merc group and taking jobs from a mystery man is just par for the course. Being Chaotic Good, so I try to get along with everyone involved and trying oh so hard to not catch people on fire by accident. I'm highly eccentric with my personal life choices and how I deal with other people. Showing others that life is random by design, so might as well enjoy it and have fun! Wanting to see the world and different places for this reason, to see a variety of cultures and people, along with a variety of monsters and bandits to explode.

Which is also why I have my Rod of Wonders. My solution to any problem I have is to wave the rod at it until the problem goes away.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Isengrad

The rod of wonder... my last D&D gameI had where someone had that. He used it to feed a Dragon 100 cubic feet of giant butterflies to keep it from killing us. and ended a fight by dropping a large African elephant through the second floor of an inn...the barkeep kept the elephant and now uses it to give rides as an extra source of income.. the party can now stay there free of charge.

Oh, Also need to ask. is it 25 point buy base then add level and racial mods. or is it 25 point buy then just racial mods?

Sabriel

It is 25 point buy base, before bonus from level and racial mods :)

Mysterica

I've got my character down on paper, I'll move her online later after my second job and some sleep.

Sabriel

NicciKotor I quite firmly believe that this would not be a game or story you would enjoy, the mere fact that you mention
Quote"I just enjoy the idea of being a cute girl out in the woods, setting fire to bandits and exploding the scenery."
makes me think you miss a lot of the point of what I have written in my original post.

This is not a game to be cute in.

Thank you for your interest anyway

Black Howling

Are we using default tongues, or scarred lands tongues? Like, do we use the common tongue or things like Ledean?

EDIT: Also, will Invocations be used in the game? Sorry for being a pain, just have my book out and remembered all the neat fluff Ghelspad has. >_>

Senti

Well you know the character I want to play, I'll be working out points and send the backstory.

Sabriel

As far as I remember there is like nowhere in the Scarred Land's material where it actually lists the languages in a list (If you know of one id love to know :P), the only places Ive ever seen them is on NPC's and such.  I did ponder the idea of going through and trying to compile a list, I think I will do that as the standard languages don't quite fit the setting.

Ill add it to my second post when done :)

Black Howling

Quote from: Sabriel on June 08, 2011, 08:38:20 AM
As far as I remember there is like nowhere in the Scarred Land's material where it actually lists the languages in a list (If you know of one id love to know :P), the only places Ive ever seen them is on NPC's and such.  I did ponder the idea of going through and trying to compile a list, I think I will do that as the standard languages don't quite fit the setting.

Ill add it to my second post when done :)
In the Scarred lands Campaign Setting 'Ghelspad' there is a whole list of the languages. If you'd like, I'll compile them down for you. I have the book right in my lap.

Mysterica

Well...  they already had everything done over there so I was allowed to leave and when trying to put in my two weeks notice I was just told that I could go ahead and just quit right then and there and he will write it down that I gave my notice since he did have a bit of warning when I got my second job so...  just one job now, yay!

Mysterica

Are there any differences statwise between the wood elves, high elves, and hornsaw elves, and the normal elves described in the core rule book?  Weather there is or not, the high elves wouldn't have any specific limitations in the arcane arts would they?  If not, I'll probably go that route.

Sabriel

Hehe neat Mysterica congratulations that must be nice :)

QuoteIn the Scarred lands Campaign Setting 'Ghelspad' there is a whole list of the languages. If you'd like, I'll compile them down for you. I have the book right in my lap.

Really ? because you know Ive looked and looked and could never find such, but then I have had a habit before with Scarred Land's stuff of somehow managing to get books which are outdated in some way.  It took me ages to get hold of that book too >.<

That would be helpful of course I could just be being dappy and missing the page somehow.

Black Howling

Quote from: Sabriel on June 08, 2011, 09:20:15 AM
Hehe neat Mysterica congratulations that must be nice :)

Really ? because you know Ive looked and looked and could never find such, but then I have had a habit before with Scarred Land's stuff of somehow managing to get books which are outdated in some way.  It took me ages to get hold of that book too >.<

That would be helpful of course I could just be being dappy and missing the page somehow.
Hmm, mine could be outdated for that matter. I don't think so, it's 3rd edition mind you; but it's jam packed with information. Though if we do have the same book, it's page 28 and 29. Right before you get to the area about the gods. I also have the Gazateer, so I'll look in there and see if there is any quicker references for them. The setting just has a ton of languages, including three different forms of Elven. O_O

PS: Working on the list for you now.

Sabriel

QuoteAre there any differences statwise between the wood elves, high elves, and hornsaw elves, and the normal elves described in the core rule book?  Weather there is or not, the high elves wouldn't have any specific limitations in the arcane arts would they?  If not, I'll probably go

OK so Elves...

Wood Elves are the most common and approachable Elves
Base Stats
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Constitution: Wood elves are nimble, in body and wise, but their form is frail.
Medium: Elves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Wood elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Wood elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light (see low-light vision).
Elven Immunities: Wood elves are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Tattoo Culture: Wood Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on all Craft (tattoo) checks made. Wood elven culture marks rites of passage and similar important events with skin-art; they have a strong tradition of decorating one another with tattoos, and many eventually become masters of the art.
Keen Senses: Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
Weapon Familiarity: Elves are proficient with longspear, shortspear, or quaterstaff; proficent with shortbow, longbow, composite longbow, and composite shortbow. Wood Elves Druids may use any of these weapons without violating any oaths.  Elves treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Hornsaw Elves - suffer from nightmares which can be quite debilitating and even drive them mad so I would not recommend them.

Base Stats
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Racial Traits
+2 Dexterity +2 Strength, –2 Charisma: The rigorous childhood training of the Broadreach elves makes them much tougher than the average elf, but their otherworldly savagery and their dour single-mindedness make it difficult for them to communicate effectively with others.
Normal Speed: Broadreach elves have a base speed of 30 feet.
Low-Light Vision: Broadreach elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light (see low-light vision).
Tattoo Culture: Broadreach Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on all Craft (tattoo) checks made. Broadreach elven culture marks rites of passage and similar important events with highly ritualized skin-art. In addition, Broadreach elves use this art form for improving their ability to conceal themselves in the forest.
Elven Immunities: Broadreach elves are immune to magic sleep effects and get a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells and effects.
Keen Senses: Elves receive a +4 racial bonus on Perception skill checks.
Weapon Familiarity: Broadreach elves are proficient with sickle, double sickle, roundknife, and both the melee and ranged aspects of the razor bow. The double scythe, roundsword, and throwing disk count as martial rather than exotic weapons for Broadreach elves, but all martial pole-arms and lances (except scythes, which are common weapons among the Broadreachclans) are considered exotic to a Broadreach Elf.  Broadreach elves treat any weapon with the word “elven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Forsaken Elves aka High Elves, are quite different and uncommon on the continent the game is set, there is also the rather large fact there cursed so I am not going to detail them.  If someone really wants to play a Forsaken Elf I will detail them and there curse but they are not really a suitable choice for a character.

If anyone else has questions about races BTW please feel free to ask, although mostly things are just as the basic things in Pathfinder.

Thank you for your help also Black Howling :)

Isengrad

Mysterica

Ok.  I'll just stick with wood elves then.  The idea of being driven mad is not desirable, and minus 2 to cha is counterproductive to making a sorcerer and with the forsaken being not good choices for characters I'll just leave that alone.  No need to make things more difficult than they need be.  I'll make the necessary changes to my character and put it online after sleepy time.  Thank you for clarifying that.  I didn't want my character to be wrong just because I didn't ask a question or two.

Black Howling

Gonna have to pay at-least 200 gold to get legal weapons into Shelzar. Might add some bribes into that too, just to make sure I get all the permits I need. ;)

Just have equipment and writing prompt left before the sheet is posted.

Sabriel

Neat

Keep in mind that Sorcery is mainly linked to the Titans, this does not really change anything in game in fact the Pathfinder version of the class I think better represents this sort of thing anyway.  This does not mean you have to be evil or really linked to the Titans, although many Sorcerers do serve as priests and such in Titan cults etc. There are other options of course but well most Sorcery is commonly linked to something Titan related and well its certainly viewed that way.

Most Sorcerer's tend to have a mark upon them somewhere representing there link to a specific Titan/whatever etc, this mark is unknown to most however and easily hidden.

So yeah you may wish to consider where your Sorcery gets its roots a bit more than in standard settings since it's a bit more tied to the world.

Hehe yeah most weapons require a permit or to be peacebound in Shelzar, Daggers do not and well you can probably get away with a Quarterstaff too.

Of course there are ways around the fees, those with the relevant knowledges and skills can create false documents or create there own peacebonds even false ones.  Of course there is also plenty of magical ways of concealment too.

The whole game will not solely be based within Shelzar however so you need not really worry about this fact to much, just don't plan to be carrying around ton's of weapons in Shelzar  ::)

Mysterica

That may be so, but I feel I should mention that her bloodline is celestial, and she'll probably be a worshipper of Madriel partly because of that, a fact that would likely have influenced her somewhat of a self-imposed exile as she would not fit in terribly well while most other wood elves worship or at the very least greatly revere Denev.  She will likely assume her powers stem from Mesos and keep that in mind, but worry more about how she is using her powers and thus give note and credit to Mesos, but use the powers for Madriel...  Make sense or am I committing some terrible horrible taboo?

Sabriel

That works actually there are Celestial bloodlines of Sorcerers in the setting, it could be that your linage has Celestial blood in it's veins and that is where your Sorcery stems from not from the Titans.  You don't have to assume your powers come from Mesos either, in fact id imagine most Wood Elves would first assume the powers came from Denev. But its perfectly acceptable that they are the result of Celestial blood in your Elven families linage, perhaps one of your ancestors was involved with a Angel of Madriel or perhaps your linage was one blessed by them in the past.

I hope that helps :)

There is actually a Scion feat for such things actually but it would be rather useless in Pathfinder and well it is already sort of covered by the Sorcerer bloodline things.

Mysterica

Ok then.  Well in that case she won't and will just accept that it is a blessing from Madriel then.  It's just too bad that even with a very visible tattoo of Madriel's symbol others won't so easily accept that her powers stem from there.  At least not without busting out my wings of heaven power, and even then, some will likely think it a cruel trick...  whatever though.

Sabriel

It would more be with your character that people will most likely just be suspicious of you if you mention you are a sorcerer, if it seams obviously more divine in nature many may accept it as such. It's unlikely to cause that much of a problem however, you just don't want to be introducing yourself as a Sorcerer openly everywhere you go.