What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 02, 2011, 01:56:02 PM
Was that supposed to be ironic?

Regardless ... in what way? Examples?
Ironic how? The statement, probably.

Fallout has a lot of moments of just plain confusion inducing segments. The rope comes readily to mind. Anyone can say well rope is important blah, blah, blah. However, you only use it twice. If they were really concerned about making a post-apocalyptic survival game you'd also be able to relcaim your rope after climbing back up. Mostly though, unless you know you're going to need it it takes a few precious days off your time limit.

There are just several instances where they've done clever things just to prove how clever they are. It's very irritating. I'm sure I could pop up someone's guide and beat the game, but honestly I always feel like Fallout is punishing me for trying to play it. :\

In other news: I got the pacifist achievement in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I tried getting foxiest of hounds too, but God only knows where I slipped up on that one.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

-.-

Wanna smash my controller against my head right now. Give it to Fear to take a simple and fundamental game mechanic and somehow fuck it up.

Crouch. Its easy. Its important. Its in every game that involves guns. You press a button, you get shorter. Its that simple. It does not require innovation. The most change it's recieved is a trigger method instead of a button method, and its a much better system, in my opinion, but Fear went and applied the same basic idea of the trigger system... to a button press.

Let me put that in context. Your being shot at. Theres a sniper. You need to get low and cover some of your angles. You run into a small room, and instinctually press the Crouch button. Its ingrained in gamers muscle memory. But instead of getting on one knee, you throw yourself against the nearest wall, totally exposing yourself to the sniper. You try to move away, but you instead lean around to stick your head out the window. You press crouch again to pull away from the wall, and end up standing with your head in complete sight. By now, you've eaten half a lead quarry, the sniper is looking at you, so you run to the centre of the room to be able to actually crouch. Whoops! There was a doorframe there! You must have wanted to stick to that, right?

Your dead, and its definitely not the games fault. At all. Really. FTG

abandoneddolly

I completely gave up on fear after an hour, though I suck at shooting games. I'm to impulsive I just want to run out and kill and it don't work that way when other people have guns and can shot you. Also I can not aim to save my life.

Inkidu

So my brother picked Cathrine. Probably against what most people would call better judgement, but you know what I said, "Hell, why the fuck not." So far I've played the first level and I've been introduced to more cut-scene than game. This is not going to end well. I get a serious vibe that Atlus just wanted to make an anime and on the last month of production said, "Oh shit! Guys, we've got to put some kind of game in there!"

"How hard would it be to put sliding block puzzles with crappy camera and twitchy-ass mechanics in those sweet CGI nightmare sequences?"
"It just might work!"
"Do it!"

I mean seriously. You have lives! Lives! Honest-to-God-picture-of-character-X-number lives. What is this '87?
Why not just have the number of deaths detract from your level (yeah level too) score.

Then they give me a text message to write. That's right, text message. Tone in writing equals difficult, people. So I have no idea what I'm actually saying. I think it came out as somewhat rapidly bipolar.

I don't expect anything good from this game.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Just finished Fear 3. What a load of shit.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 04, 2011, 11:13:52 AM
Just finished Fear 3. What a load of shit.
No, tell us how you really feel. :D

(Seriously, whenever a horror game gets co-op, you can pretty much write off the horror part. Really, I honestly can't think of one good co-op horror game. Maybe it has something to do with the intimate nature of horror...)

Sabby

I actually cannot spoil anything. Seriously, thats how bad the plot is, it is unspoilable. For me to say that Star Wars ends with the bad guys dying is as much a spoiler as me saying that Fear 3 ends with Point Man and Fettel reaching their mum.

The first thing established in the game is theres a giant psychic vagina in the sky, and you HAVE to get there! Alma is about to birth the anti-Christ! Hurry! Hurry! Run! Oooh, robot! Quick, keep running! Demon dog things! Oh look, we're ripping off Condemned by now. I didn't stay stop! Alma's pregnant, remember?! Remember guys? Remember? Guys? Guys, remember now, guys, k? K guys?

Guess how it ends? Guess what all that running towards mum amounted to? Can you guess? Can you? Know what came after an entire game of trying to find your mum amounted to?

You found your mum.

Epic story is epic.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on September 04, 2011, 12:43:33 PM
I actually cannot spoil anything. Seriously, thats how bad the plot is, it is unspoilable. For me to say that Star Wars ends with the bad guys dying is as much a spoiler as me saying that Fear 3 ends with Point Man and Fettel reaching their mum.

The first thing established in the game is theres a giant psychic vagina in the sky, and you HAVE to get there! Alma is about to birth the anti-Christ! Hurry! Hurry! Run! Oooh, robot! Quick, keep running! Demon dog things! Oh look, we're ripping off Condemned by now. I didn't stay stop! Alma's pregnant, remember?! Remember guys? Remember? Guys? Guys, remember now, guys, k? K guys?

Guess how it ends? Guess what all that running towards mum amounted to? Can you guess? Can you? Know what came after an entire game of trying to find your mum amounted to?

You found your mum.

Epic story is epic.

So..do they stop her or not? @_@

Sabby

That depends on the 'Favourite Son'. To get both endings, you need to play the game twice, in Co-Op, and one character has to purposefully allow the other to rack up more points.

Wolfy

.....So...Yes? @_@

Anyway, Just finished Deus Ex. Was very Enjoyable...now I wonder if I should play the original.

Oniya

Quote from: Wolfy on September 04, 2011, 01:06:54 PM
.....So...Yes? @_@

Reading what Sabby wrote (and having no clue who any of the characters are), one character's ending stops her, and the other character's ending doesn't.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Oniya on September 04, 2011, 01:15:51 PM
Reading what Sabby wrote (and having no clue who any of the characters are), one character's ending stops her, and the other character's ending doesn't.

Exactly. Oh, and they face their daddy issues on the way. No, I mean that literally, they walk up to the embodiment of their father related mental problems and resolve them by shooting it. I am not kidding.

Imagine if all difficult emotional trauma could be solved instantly by finding a physical manifestation of it and killing it. Then again, this is a setting where ghosts can't decide if they are ephemeral, hallucinations, or flesh and blood capable of death by bullets, sex and child birth.

Hemingway

FEAR 3's story was ... well, it wasn't so much a story as a linear path along which you could shoot things. Much like Red Dead Redemption.

But dammit if it wasn't a decent FPS, though. In the shooting department, it's probably better than Crysis 2. Probably.

Sabby

Next to Fear 1 and 2 it wasn't worth much. I honestly couldn't tell ya why, if I had to be specific... I could bring up a million tiny things that seem worth nothing on their own and aren't much better when brought together, but even if I can't summarize the feeling, it still feels off.

Wolfy

Well that's all okay...because Dead Island comes out this week, and we all know we need another Zombie game. <3

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on September 04, 2011, 02:59:03 PM
Well that's all okay...because Dead Island comes out this week, and we all know we need another Zombie game. <3
Oh, joy... another co-op zombie game where your single player probably amounts to you plus three bots. Throw in electrified knives, more co-op, and enough bad Australian and/or New Zealand accents to piss Sabby off and we have a game. -.-

Honestly, it looks kind of like L4D sunshine edition. I'm still going to see how they handle single player before I commit to anything

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on September 04, 2011, 03:43:06 PM
Oh, joy... another co-op zombie game where your single player probably amounts to you plus three bots. Throw in electrified knives, more co-op, and enough bad Australian and/or New Zealand accents to piss Sabby off and we have a game. -.-

Honestly, it looks kind of like L4D sunshine edition. I'm still going to see how they handle single player before I commit to anything

Oh you.

I also can't wait for Space Marine..in that "Oh man, Sweet, a Mech Game" kind of waiting anticipation.

Hemingway

You know what I love in games? When there's a checkpoint system of any kind, where if you die you get to continue, but it doesn't actually autosave. You see where this is going? Yeah, I get pissed because the AI is a cheating bastard, I decide to restart the battle ... oops, an hour of progress lost!

That's the whole reason I never finished Halo: Reach. It's the same thing. It has checkpoints, but you gotta save and exit for it to actually keep your progress.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on September 04, 2011, 03:53:40 PM
Oh you.

I also can't wait for Space Marine..in that "Oh man, Sweet, a Mech Game" kind of waiting anticipation.
Yeah, I'll admit I've never heard of 40K or whatever. I laughed my ass off during the trailer. It was hilarious. The most un-badass marines I ever saw. :)

Like I said though I know between jack and squat.

Hemingway

You don't even know of WH40K?

*Deep breaths.*

How can you call the Space Marines un-badass? I mean, next to everything else in the WHK40K universe, except Imperial Guardsmen, yes. But come on! They're like 9 foot tall genetically enhanced super-soldiers, that's not just their armor. Their guns are actually automatic RPGs. Their swords are chainsaws! There's about four of them fighting an Ork invasion. And that's before things get bad! I mean, the most you can say is they're so badass it just becomes ridiculous. In which case I would refer you to the Grey Knights, who are basically the badass version of Space Marines.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 04, 2011, 04:00:38 PM
You don't even know of WH40K?

*Deep breaths.*

How can you call the Space Marines un-badass? I mean, next to everything else in the WHK40K universe, except Imperial Guardsmen, yes. But come on! They're like 9 foot tall genetically enhanced super-soldiers, that's not just their armor. Their guns are actually automatic RPGs. Their swords are chainsaws! There's about four of them fighting an Ork invasion. And that's before things get bad! I mean, the most you can say is they're so badass it just becomes ridiculous. In which case I would refer you to the Grey Knights, who are basically the badass version of Space Marines.
I've got two reasons:

Robert A. Heinlein did it first and everything "space marine" needs to pay homage to him for doing so or they're just unoriginal.

You're right. They're too bad-ass to be bad-ass and a such I laugh, laugh so hard. They're trying way too hard and it's laughable.

(Also, orks? In space! How can you not want me to laugh at this thing. It's hilarious!)

I'm not trying to say 40K is bad, but it almost seems like it's "Munchkining" itself, at least to me.

Oniya

Okay - Warhammer (the original) is your basic fantasy miniature wargame:  Elves (sorry, 'Eldar'), Orks, Humans, and that weird Chaos contingency.  Warhammer 40K is the same thing 'in space'.  It's sort of like 'Spelljammer' for the miniature wargaming crowd.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 04, 2011, 04:22:54 PM
Okay - Warhammer (the original) is your basic fantasy miniature wargame:  Elves (sorry, 'Eldar'), Orks, Humans, and that weird Chaos contingency.  Warhammer 40K is the same thing 'in space'.  It's sort of like 'Spelljammer' for the miniature wargaming crowd.
I kind of got that vibe. I'm not a table-top gamer though. No one around me does it, and it's awfully expensive. It just made me laugh. I couldn't take it seriously.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 04, 2011, 03:56:03 PM
You know what I love in games? When there's a checkpoint system of any kind, where if you die you get to continue, but it doesn't actually autosave. You see where this is going? Yeah, I get pissed because the AI is a cheating bastard, I decide to restart the battle ... oops, an hour of progress lost!

That's the whole reason I never finished Halo: Reach. It's the same thing. It has checkpoints, but you gotta save and exit for it to actually keep your progress.

Good thing Deus ex doesn't do that..it actually give you an option to use your latest Auto-Save or a Previous on. <3

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 04, 2011, 04:11:26 PM
Robert A. Heinlein did it first and everything "space marine" needs to pay homage to him for doing so or they're just unoriginal.

Well, there are bugs trying to eat the entire universe. And I think even Heinlein could appreciate the Imperium of Man. Or, well, at least certain parts of it. WH40K Space Marines also predate most conceptions of space marines.

Certain parts of WH40K definitely suffer from a high degree of power inflation, but it really depends on which incarnation it is. And the same goes for how seriously you're expected to treat them, I guess. In the tabletop game, an Ork can kill a space marine in single combat, although statistically the space marine is more likely to win. If you read anything involving space marines - or play any of the video games, I guess - you'll have space marines tearing apart hundreds of enemies. But I'm not going to try to talk anyone into liking WH40K.

Quote from: Wolfy on September 04, 2011, 04:27:50 PM
Good thing Deus ex doesn't do that..it actually give you an option to use your latest Auto-Save or a Previous on. <3

Yeah, what a brilliant move that was. And quicksaves, too! It's saving done right. Makes me wonder what others are thinking. Games that have checkpoints right before ( UNSKIPPABLE! ) boss monologues, things like that.