Democracy in Africa. Is it Democracy or something else?

Started by krakenknight, May 19, 2011, 04:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

krakenknight

The South African Local Government Elections have been interesting this year with the ANC government facing stiff opposition in areas that were strongholds for 20 years. After I voted I asked myself a few questions.
The questions one needs to ask are these. Are people who vote for a "Liberation party" actually voting on issues or are they voting based on what the party did 20 years ago? Are Mugabe or Gaddaffi or even more moderate leaders actually in office because of thinking voters or tribal and religious politicking?
Should people choose their government or should it be chosen for them in these instances as Plato argued?

Scribbles

QuoteShould people choose their government or should it be chosen for them in these instances as Plato argued?

Out of curiosity, who would you have choosing for the people?
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

krakenknight

Quote from: Scribbles on May 19, 2011, 09:04:20 AM
Out of curiosity, who would you have choosing for the people?
I would assume the "International community" whatever that means. Bear in mind I'm puzzling this myself.

Scribbles

I understand. And I Hate to say it but the international community would likely choose the ANC as well, based on the parties struggle credentials, icons, etc.

Unfortunatelly all I believe you can do is sit back and patiently wait. Change can be a gradual thing, almost painfully so. I'm sure the successes of the past can only carry the ANC so far.
AA and OO

krakenknight

I was actually talking about Africa in general. South Africa's elections were just a catalyst for the argument.

Scribbles

Oh, my mistake, although what I've said can probably be applied to other African countries as well. As for your other questions, I'm not sure what to say, since I can't even begin to understand the motivations behind the votes of so many different types of people.
AA and OO

krakenknight

Quote from: Scribbles on May 19, 2011, 09:24:26 AM
Oh, my mistake, although what I've said can probably be applied to other African countries as well. As for your other questions, I'm not sure what to say, since I can't even begin to understand the motivations behind the votes of so many different types of people.

Sadly that seems to be the case normally.

Oniya

It's more universal than you think.  I took the liberty of making a few substitutions in your original post and - while I don't espouse the viewpoint that came out of it, I have certainly seen similar ideas put forth on various political blogs.

The U.S. Elections were interesting in 2008 with the Republican government facing stiff opposition in areas that were strongholds for 20 years. After I voted I asked myself a few questions.
The questions one needs to ask are these. Are people who vote for the "Democrat party" actually voting on issues or are they voting based on what the party did 20 years ago? Is Obama actually in office because of thinking voters or ethnic and religious politicking?

Keep in mind that this is not my opinion, nor do I intend to make a direct comparison between the ANC and the Republican party (or any of the other substitutions that I made), but merely an illustration of how this same situation crops up over and over.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Scribbles

Oniya, one minor hiccup with your substitution. The "Liberation Party" is considered to be the ANC, not their opposition. Arguably, they were the driving force behind the end of apartheid (Again, this is highly debateable). Although, it still (sort of) works if you throw "Republican Party" into that gap rather than "Democrat Party".  :P
AA and OO

Oniya

That wasn't clear in the initial posting, and I concede the point.  The question could still be asked - actually about any election - whether people who vote for Party X are doing it because they actually know what the party is standing for, or because of some image of what that party stood for in the past - or even because their demographic group is voting that way.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Scribbles

I agree completely. I know very few people who know what their parties stand for. It's almost as if they base their vote on family, tradition, religion, demographics, or even due to a sound bite they heard long ago. It'd be nice if more people educated themselves on their parties platforms.
AA and OO

Pointless Digression

Quote from: krakenknight on May 19, 2011, 04:44:44 AM
Should people choose their government or should it be chosen for them in these instances as Plato argued?

Yeah, see, here's the problem with quoting ancient Greek philosophers on matters of law, justice, and government. When you find slavery to be natural and just and when you think of women as cowardly and unrighteous, you lose all credibility at the onset.

Scribbles

The ancient philosopher might lose credibility but this doesn't mean he didn't have a few pearls of wisdom to share, or that those who use them somehow accept all his beliefs. Mind you, I agree, I'm not exactly a fan of the quote either but Kraken has admitted that he's simply frustrated with the current system and looking for options and/or opinions. Or that's what I've gathered, at least.
AA and OO

Oniya

In a way, by not being informed, the voters are already letting their government be 'chosen for them'.  Whatever body selects the candidates is doing the choosing, simply by having the chosen person in the right party.

Scribbles

Too true Oniya. Nothing I can really add to that.
AA and OO