Pathfinder - Once upon a time, Knights of the Rose - {Interest Check}

Started by Angelic Kitten, April 12, 2015, 10:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelic Kitten

I've decided to give a go at trying to gamemaster a spin off campaign for my pathfinder game.

For various reasons, my Pathfinder games, are always low level, and low magic, campaigns with a specific 'hook' to tie the character together, so that they have a common reason to adventure together.

The hook for this campaign will be that the character are all female characters who will known as 'Roses', this is because they will all be serving in the Order of a Rose, which are a dozen or so special and unique women who answer to, and serve the queens immediate needs.  Sort of a Secret Service for her.

I'm trying for a small quality group of only three players, i have two at the moment, so at this time, I'm really only looking for one more player.

Characters are 3rd level, in a campaign where the character level is capped at 9, with a soft class cap of 5, and hard class cap of 7.

If you'd like to see how the game looks, and expected to be conducted, you can look at the in character game thread found here, https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227120.0

Campaign/House Rules noted here,
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227271.0

If you're interested in becoming my third rose, please state your interests here,
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227117.0

I may expand the game when i have more time, but for the moment, i'm pretty good with keeping it light and cozy with (3) players.  Since this is such a small game, it is my hope, that players that participate will be able to pace themselves to (on average) Post at least once daily.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angelic Kitten

Thank you, it's the latest campaign that i'm starting for my Neo-Earth Campaigns...

The first two had them all as soldiers in the military, then they had to be all human, this one is all female characters working for the queen.

Sort of inspired by Jim Hines' novels, sort of a Charles Angel arrangement in a fantasy campaign feel.

Hoping for Action, Adventure, Danger, Comedy, and maybe a little romance on the side, who knows.  Much will depend on the players i get and what they want to do.

Ixy

I would really like to try this, especially because of the small-group setting.  However, I'm nervous about catching up, or all potential spots being taken already.

Could you give me an idea of what kind of character would fit this best, if you still need one?  I have concepts ranging from interesting and dark to the horribly clichéd, and I can almost certainly find a niche in a group once I recognize the tone and ambience of the game.

edit: adding...

Also, from reading the first posts, I have some ideas that might work well to add to the story.  How much, if anything, are we expected/allowed to contribute to backstory/setting for this story?

Angelic Kitten

I currently only have two players, and would like a third.  At that point i would close the campaign for a period of time.

I plan on opening it again down the line after each adventure, i aspire to add a new rose.  I figure an adventure is good to let current roses settle, and the addition of a new rose will help keep the game fresh and interesting, this wont go on forever though, i already have it in my head that there wont be more than a dozen roses, and at least five are currently taken by NPCs, though some i'm willing to turn over to players to control, to players who want to play that dont have anyone to play they would be made available.

I provide the campaign setting and all that is within it.  I try and give players as much leeway into what they bring to the campaign as possible.

I'm actually not that far along in the plot, the other players have been putting together their characters, Dev is done, and Abigail was in my old campaign and in my head is as good as done,except for working out her stats.

You may pitch me whatever you like, and within the scope of the campaign i will make an effort to accommodate you.  It should be noted, that several classes have been tweaked and some are just not used in the campaign outright.  (Stuff that i will eventually have to add to the world builder thread, but i've been slow to do cause... well i've been busy.  So who is your Rose?

Disclaimer:  I should note, that this is expected to be a small group campaign, and you should expect to travel in really small parties, like two rose would be average for a normal task, and three for something complicated.  For something expected to be simple and easy you might be sent out alone.  For the sake of your characters survival, you should not be so specialized that you rely on other characters so much, that you start to feel crippled without support.

OyabunKobold

I have an idea for this game but I'm not sure how well it would go over. I'm in the mood to play a summoner since it seems like every time i try I never get to play but I'm not sure if that would work out since this game is low magic. I have her all set up though shes not one hundred percent a goody goody two shoes (shes a bit of a pyromaniac). Would need to add in equipment too as the gm I used her in had us start out in a prison with nothing but the clothes on our backs.

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Angelic Kitten

Apologies Oyabunkyuubi, I'm going to have to decline your character.

I consider the Summoner class broken for various reasons, and it does not exist in my campaign in any form you would recognize.  I had a very bad incident with a player and this class, and i've just outright threw the class out of the campaign and have never regretted it since.

The closest thing to a Summoner in my campaign is the campaign specific
Medium
Medium
BAB +.75

Save Throw
Fort = Poor + 1/3 per level
Ref. = Poor + 1/3 per level
Will = Good + 1/2 per level

Hit Points 8 / 5 / 3

Base Starting Gold 70 gp

The Medium is an arcane caster that has made the study of the planes, and the outsiders that wander them their lifes work.  This study has led the medium to forming a close bond with outsiders known as Neodon which are capable of possessing the Medium's body, fusing their essence and sharing their abilities with the Medium.

Class skills ~ (As summoner)
Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency ~ (As summoner)
Spells ~ (As summoner)
Cantrips ~ (As summoner)
Planar Knowledge ~ A medium may make unskilled check for ks: Planes and adds half his class level to the roll.

Neodon Possession
The Medium allows the essence of a powerful outsider, known as the Neodon, to possess their body, melding the two life forces together.  The Neodon will appear as a physical manifestation, appearing around the medium as a translucent image.  The shared body of the Medium while fused, perceives through the Neodolon's senses, and speaks through the Neodon's voice.

While possessed, the Medium uses the Neodon's Physical (Str, Dex, Con) ability but maintain his own mental scores (Int, Wis and Cha).  The Medium gains the Neodon's Temporary Hit points.  When these hit points reach 0 the Neodon is dispeled and sent back to it's home plane (per Eidolon rules).

The medium gains the Neodon's base attack, armor, natural armor bonus, and modifiers to ability score.  The medium also gains access to the Neodolon's special abilities and Evolutions.  The medium is still limited to the Neodolon's maximum number of natural attacks.

The medium possession by the Neodon is a standard action, and maintains the possession with the Neodolon as a free action.  The Medium may fuse with the Neodon for a number of rounds each day equal to 4 + his Charisma modifier.  At each level after 1st, they gain 2 additional lrounds each day.

(Based on the Bardic Performance ability for game balance)

Fused Link
When ever the Neodolon's temporary hitpoints would be reduced to zero, the medium may, as a free action sacrafice his own hit points to prevent the Neodon from being banished and sent back to it's home plane.

Shielded Meld
At 4th level, whenever the medium is possessed by their Neodon, he gains +2 shield bonus to his Armor Class and a +2 circumstance bonus on his saving throws.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Neodolon is similiar to an Biped Eidolon, except as noted...
d8 instead of d10 for Hit Dice (5 hit points a level, plus Con bonus)
Base Attack ~ As Eidolon
Save throws as Biped Eidolon
No Skills or Feats
Armor as Eidolon
Str/Dex Bonus as Eidolon (each +1 = +2 to ability score bonus)
Evolution Poll as Eidolon
Max Attacks as Eidolon
Lowlight Vision, instead of Darkvision
Unarmed Attack (d3) or Weapon
Free Evolutions are limbs (arms), limbs (legs), Weapon Training (All Simple)
Ability Scores Bonus Str +6 (max 16)/ Dex +2 (max 12)/ Con +3 (max 13)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Neodolon counts as a Eidolon for the purposes of Feats.

The Medium may also select
Extra Possession, allowing the medium to be possesed for 6 additional rounds per day

Lingering Possession, the effects of the neodolon lingers for 2 rounds after you end the possession.

The ability of this class to keep a pet summoned, for ever, with no reason to ever unsummon it, except when they sleep, and then still have the ability to Summon pets once their main pet is gone, is just broken in so many ways i wont allow it into my campaign, except in the much more limited form of the Medium, which i consider 'balanced' enough to accept in the campaign.

OyabunKobold

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Phaia

I would be interested in This group. I have always liked the idea of a fantasy 'Lady in waiting' that does private work for the queen when needed. My concept would be a Bard, Someone that has been around the main palace since she was an infant. I was thinking her mother was a famed grand harpist and her father some sort of servent to the King.

I have a lovely image for her
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/495888608940243305/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255790453809678804/

Phaia

Angelic Kitten

Quote from: Phaia on April 13, 2015, 11:17:17 PM
I would be interested in This group. I have always liked the idea of a fantasy 'Lady in waiting' that does private work for the queen when needed. My concept would be a Bard, Someone that has been around the main palace since she was an infant. I was thinking her mother was a famed grand harpist and her father some sort of servent to the King.

I have a lovely image for her
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/495888608940243305/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/255790453809678804/

Phaia

Bards...  have been slightly modified in the game (They were at one time banned as impractical in the campaign)  The ones that use instruments for their special abilities... don't exist.  That's because the concept of requiring an adventurer to lug around  bulky piece of equipment on adventures as a means to use their abilities just never sat right with me.

For this reason,  Bards in the campaign, use Singing for their talents, and are known as Spellsingers.  Your character can be musically inclined and play the harp but her special performance skills should be tied with the talent of singing. 

Good?

Ii think there might be some room for interesting stuff here.  She might be a childhood friend of the King, and have a sort of split loyalty between him and the queen, she might even have a romantic interest in the king which would be a huge complication.  Past spellsingers have had a lot of fun in my campaigns, so if youre interested, i can let you in the campaign with minimal issues.

Angelic Kitten

It seems i have my three players, perhaps four.  Ixy, i have my three players at this time, but since you expressed an interest in the campaign already, i will honor your interest and take you on as a fourth player.

So, effective immediately, at this time, I am no longer looking for players for the campaign.  I may open the campaign up in the future, so if you have an interest please feel free to state it, but i would like to spend a little time with the players i have developing the story, before expanding it with new players.

Thank you for your interest.

Ixy

I really appreciate it Angelic; I will do my best to have a PC together tonight.

Angelic Kitten

Quote from: Ixy on April 14, 2015, 06:47:31 PM
I really appreciate it Angelic; I will do my best to have a PC together tonight.

No worries, when you have some time, follow this link to our OOC section,  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227117.0

Pitch me your character concept and we'll see if we can get you squared away.  Working on Phaia's character now, so you'll be our fourth rose, i can live with an extra rose  Things seem to be going well, and players are pacing slower than expected so the fourth rose shouldnt phase me at all.

Muse

Okay.  I won't try to crowd anyone out then please remember me if you loose someone.  And have fun.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ixy

Quote from: Angelic Kitten on April 14, 2015, 06:51:37 PM

No worries, when you have some time, follow this link to our OOC section,  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227117.0

Pitch me your character concept and we'll see if we can get you squared away.  Working on Phaia's character now, so you'll be our fourth rose, i can live with an extra rose  Things seem to be going well, and players are pacing slower than expected so the fourth rose shouldnt phase me at all.

Thank you again for the opportunity to apply.  I'm going out of town this weekend, and I'm running dry on creativity.  Sorry... I will bow out for now.  Best of luck with the game--

Angelic Kitten

* hugs *

Thank you for being understanding and not trying to nudge into the game, i probably would have caved, especially with Ixy declining at this time, but i really am more comfortable with three, which is what the adventures were planned for at the moment.  Will put you at the top of the list and let you know when i'm ready to take in a new player for the campaign. 

No worries Ixy, i have my three players at the moment, and i'm pleased with the progress.

Sorry to hear you wont be making it but the demands of the flesh and blood world is like that and there are no hard feelings, safe travels.